The artist in thee

Ares Tyr

Aug 9, 2008
Labyrinth post=18.72805.779481 said:
Ares Tyr post=18.72805.779281 said:
Alliecat post=18.72805.777211 said:
All the art here is pretty good! I like all the sketches but I wanna see some completed work!

Deviant Art site (don't want to post art ehre, takes too long) [http://alliekitten.deviantart.com]
You're extremely talented. I like basically everything you've done, haha. Jealous! I wish I had the stuff to color my drawings on my comp like ya'll do.

No one has really given my shit a single opinion. Saaaad.
Thanks for putting me back in my place there.

So I'll re-post my opinions. The turtle is fantastic, like most of your drawings it displays a strong anatomical awareness. Your tone could use some work, but as it's an anime style I can see why you'd focus more on shape and line. The first image...a zombie or something? Anyway, the tension between the brows is good use of detail, bringing more energy to the overall work.
Thats alot more than you said to me about it on Skype, m'am. But thank you! :D

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
So here are two new ones, and a better scan of Tormentous Moment. Enjoy.

Not a full scan, because my scanner's only A4 and I'm lazy.

the monopoly guy

May 8, 2008
NewClassic post=18.72805.779453 said:
Alliecat post=18.72805.777211 said:
All the art here is pretty good! I like all the sketches but I wanna see some completed work!

Deviant Art site (don't want to post art ehre, takes too long) [http://alliekitten.deviantart.com]
You're extremely talented. I like basically everything you've done, haha. Jealous! I wish I had the stuff to color my drawings on my comp like ya'll do.

You're in the same boat as me. We should form a club. Like a Triumvirate...

Oh wait...
Me too, but I didn't expect much, Stumpy is dumb, I didn't draw the other (I couldn't find it but it was close to that), and the third one I quickly drew in front of the computer in a couple minutes...and the damn jaws didn't line up. It's bugging the crap out of me.

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
RAKtheUndead post=18.72805.779705 said:
I'd appreciate an opinion as well, even if it is just confirming my suspicions that it should be considered an international offense for me to pick up a pencil for any other purposes other than for writing.
Tess to the critique podium!

I'd disagree with the 'offence' statement. You seem to have quite a good grasp of structure and engineering, so I'd definitely encourage you to do more technical drawing. Practice makes perfect and all that.

Fair to say figurative is far from your strongest area, but something tells me that's also a point of lack of practice. Remember: Paper recycles, so sketch all you want. Keep up the general theme and the Government will try to hire you for the sake of weapons manufacture and design, which could get interesting. Run away?

the monopoly guy

May 8, 2008
Oh, by the way, I am really jealous Labyrinth, I wish I could draw people. I tried drawing George W. Bush, he ended up looking like his dad. I mean, exactly like him...hmm, maybe I should have tried drawing Bush Sr.

TheBadass

Aug 27, 2008
Ares Tyr post=18.72805.773652 said:
I have some drawings I'll post in a moment, as I told Laby already. But until then here's a rap verse I wrote back when I was rapping. (BTW - my group was called Five-Point Palm, so that explains all the kung fu references.)

Born an assassin, swords I was slashin'
Take heads and break necks, man that's my passion
Puttin' cats in casts and the oxygen masks
I move too fast, keep up, ya won't last
I'm pavin' the roads with the skulls of my foes
And I'm makin' hearts explode with the five-point blows
Leave yourself exposed and you'll catch a broke nose
My roundhouse kicks end lives and break bones
I'll make your eyes close, knock out the livin' days
The five-point technique you cannot evade
We the seven swords swarmin', bodies we harmin'
Wipe my ass with wack raps like their name was Charmin
Charmin' like the devil, I spittin' triple sixes
Blood on the walls and reverse crucifixes
I'll eat these kids vicious, rap cats delicious
I'm the realest MC and the rest of them fictitious
Dayamn, that's sweet.

I used to write, but it was all on my old computer and like hell I'm turning that thing on again. I need to get round to it sometime, but...

Break

And you are?
Sep 10, 2007
So Labyrinth rocks. Some of that stuff looks amazing. The expressions, the body language, the shading... Brilliant.

Shirahime is easily better than the artists in some of the published manga I've read. It's got a clean, high-quality feel to it.

When I loaded Alliecat's DA page, I actually said "what the hell". That stuff looks professional. I'd accuse her of plagiarism if there wasn't so much of it.

Ares is really quite good. I like the first one the most, which is odd, since there's supposed to be some degree of atrophy after eight months. You should draw more often.

Personally, I write a little, but it's all stories and such. Nothing of a postable size.

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
Ares Tyr, your anime skills have blown me away. I would very much like some tips on how to draw muscles the way you do. I probably won't be able to, not if it requires any form of natural artistic skill, but my brother would probably appreciate it. He thought your stuff was ridiculously good, too.

NewClassic, your comic book-type style is astounding. I love the way you do shadowing, and I'd like to know if you have any sort of technique that I may shamelessly copy. Again, like I said to Ares Tyr, I probably won't have a chance with it, but my brother is quite good at art, and the pointers would be a lot of help.

Labyrinth, you get no kudos. You are clearly some sort of machine, or genetic experiment, designed to draw so well that it just becomes unfair. I blame science. Blast you, science!

Have any of you guys gone to art school? Or are you self-taught?

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
Monkfish Acc. post=18.72805.782767 said:
Labyrinth, you get no kudos. You are clearly some sort of machine, or genetic experiment, designed to draw so well that it just becomes unfair. I blame science. Blast you, science!
Seriously. Nobody can be that well-learned, well-spoken, skilled at instrument(s), a great artist, and yet be that young.

She's a robot. Or a witch. Or a robot witch.

The Iron Ninja

Aug 13, 2008
Well I haven't drawn anything by hand in ages, the last time I drew anything would have been these odd ships I drew for a science fiction story I was attempting to write at the time (geeky I know)

[http://imageshack.us]
Allfather isn't a christian thing, it's one of the many names for Odin (A Norse god for those not in the know)

Sigurd is another Norse thing, there was an underlying Norse theme to everything.

Recently I took one of the old pictures (these are all at least two years old) and attempted something in photoshop.

Yeah it's another Norse thing.

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
The Iron Ninja post=18.72805.782854 said:
Well I haven't drawn anything by hand in ages, the last time I drew anything would have been these odd ships I drew for a science fiction story I was attempting to write at the time (geeky I know)

Allfather isn't a christian thing, it's one of the many names for Odin (A Norse god for those not in the know)

Sigurd is another Norse thing, there was an underlying Norse theme to everything.

Recently I took one of the old pictures (these are all at least two years old) and attempted something in photoshop.

Yeah it's another Norse thing.
Goodness knows I wouldn't want to see that outside my window in the morning.

The Iron Ninja

Aug 13, 2008
RAKtheUndead post=18.72805.782878 said:
The Iron Ninja post=18.72805.782854 said:
...the last time I drew anything would have been these odd ships I drew for a science fiction story I was attempting to write at the time (geeky I know)
The sad thing is that some of my drawings are designed to illustrate the spacecraft in the science-fiction story I'm writing now, the one I should have abandoned two years ago.
Yeah I'm still stubbornly holding on to my story too, I occasionally add a sentence or two every few weeks.

meatloaf231 post=18.72805.782870 said:
Goodness knows I wouldn't want to see that outside my window in the morning.
To be fair the same could be said for anything else with guns on it.

Zemalac

Apr 22, 2008
Well, I don't have much of my stuff at hand, but I suppose I could put up something...

I'd love to claim that I inked this by hand. Most of it was done in Photoshop (man, I love that program).

the monopoly guy

May 8, 2008
meatloaf231 post=18.72805.782783 said:
Seriously. Nobody can be that well-learned, well-spoken, skilled at instrument(s), a great artist, and yet be that young.

She's a robot. Or a witch. Or a robot witch.
A wiiitch! Burn her! Buuuurn her!
...she drew me as a newt!
...She got better

Really, you are really good Labyrinth.

NewClassic_v1legacy

Bringer of Words
Jul 30, 2008
NewClassic, your comic book-type style is astounding. I love the way you do shadowing, and I'd like to know if you have any sort of technique that I may shamelessly copy. Again, like I said to Ares Tyr, I probably won't have a chance with it, but my brother is quite good at art, and the pointers would be a lot of help.
Uh, the way I shade? It's all hatching work, which is using thin lines in a set pattern to produce shading. Assuming I'm shading a whole piece, I just designate an area that will be darker, line it off, and re-hatch with darker lines.

It takes some getting used to, but it's highly effective. Although if you really want someone to mimic, look at my dad's work [http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a395/NewClassic/JerrfreyTree.jpg]. It's hard as hell, and incredibly meticulous and times-taking, but the result is near-perfect.

Note that each line shows a direction of hatching, and careful but consistent shade and darkness of the lines. It's really hard to describe, just know that the style is hatching, and that the work is very detail-oriented and slow.
Very slow.

To Ares Tyr, my Triumvirate Buddy:
Your style is nice, but a bit sketchy. The musculature, as said, it really good. The only thing I can think of is anatomy overall. You seem to miss some of the junction of bones and joints. The body-parts individually look right, but combined they seem... disjointed. As if they've been placed wrong. Think about the entire skeleton when drawing, and the pose-work helps if you mimic the pose yourself. You have a lot to learn from references, so don't be afraid to look them up when drawing. Also, when you don't reference, feel free to shade. It really helps in giving the pieces depth. Also, action, although we talked about that in length already.

To RAKtheUndead:
It's not an offense so much as it is civil disobedience. Not sure if art is anything other than a hobby, so I hesitate in really saying as much as I could. The pieces show a certain attention to detail, but a lack of practice. The only thing that tells me is you think hard on what you're drawing, but still haven't learned how to draw. It's a practiced trait, just like any other, so you can really get a lot from it by practicing. My suggestion is simply drawing things you see. Don't get so hung-up on details at first. Go sit somewhere and draw what you see. A tree, a ball, a swingset-set, a serial rapist. Maybe a houseplant, or a refrigerator.

Look at what shapes make up this object, and how they're assembled. Draw the basic shapes, without worrying about too much detail. Once that's done, do they look similar? Different? How? Think about these things, and draw them again with more detail. Try getting the surface details down. When you've done it enough times, it becomes second nature. Keep going, keep observing, and keep drawing. They'll start looking better with time.

Also, another point I'd like to really drive home: Draw what you see. Don't draw what you think is there. Pretend this object is completely foreign to you. Draw it exactly as you see it. Don't draw what you think it is, draw it exactly as you observe it. It helps, trust me.

To FeNinja, my other Triumvirate Member:
Lots of Norse mythology to go around. That's some very angular stuff you've got going there. Very sharp, lots of hard lines. Don't think there's much else to say. That far back you can't see much detail. Maybe if the third dimension was represented a little more clearly, I could say more. You could learn a lot from both observation and from the things I've said to RAK. It's all questions of polish.

TO EVERYONE:
Don't take these as insults. I've been critical of art-work (therefore, an art critic) for most of my life, both as a child and an adult. So I come out really hitting home on the negative. My apologies, but it's something I can't hardly help. Still you all do good work, and none of you stop drawing, ever.