The artist in thee

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
So I've been reading a lot of Mahou sensei Negima lately and was inspired to do a little drawing.

Aargh, why does it get so pixelated?
Something about the perspective looks wonky to me :/
If anyone has any insight as to why that is, I would love to hear it.

I wish I had a drawing tablet. Whenever I want to do image editing, I have to make do with my touchpad.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Just thought that I'd post some backgrounds/large art here:

[spoiler/]
[/spoiler]
[spoiler/]
[/spoiler]
[spoiler/]
[/spoiler]
[spoiler/]
[/spoiler]
[spoiler/]
[/spoiler]
[spoiler/]
[/spoiler]

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Finally!

I've been able to scan these damn things.

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
Very nice quality of line, and a great sense of personality. The monkey one is my personal favorite of them. If I may suggest something, your pieces are very horizontal/vertical in their compositions. Most of the action takes place perpendicular to the viewer in them. Try throwing in some diagonals, some objects or characters behind or in front. It will bring a more dynamic element to the image and establish a better sense of depth.

I haven't done an art dump on here in a while, so here are a bunch of new things. Almost all of them are from different weeklies on ConceptArt.org.

Round 202: The Mating Ritual

Round 205: Bioluminescent Inverebrate

Round 206: Goblin's Best Friend

In the Hall of the Mountain King

The Boat over the River of Styx (Carnival/Theme Park style in this case)

Can ya' tell I love Grim Fandango?

A recurring villain from the campaign, this is his third incarnation. Done in about an hour and a half on photoshop...

A poster I did for one of my players' birthday of her character riding their faithful mount*.

A poster I did for the party as a present, it show the original party we started with 2 and a half years ago. Only the guy in the middle and the guy on the far right are still alive.

* Now deceased.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Fightgarr said:
Thanks for the compliment, it's great to finally be able to show my drawings online.

I know the compositions are very straightforward, but that's because I usually just start drawing a face and then continue for there. I'm not very good at compositing different angles and certainly not if it's coupled with an entire detailed background. When I try to create actual depth, things can easily start to look a little wonky. I already have a hard time drawing a character with his arm reaching toward the viewer.

I didn't actually come up with that monkey concept myself. I read a report once many years ago in a medical book about experiments they did with young orpened macaques and these surrogate mother dummies. It always stuck in my mind. I made it for an assignment where I had to design postcards with the subtext being "love".

Your drawings are pretty terrific themselves. I love that wizard riding the green ox.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I've been lurking this thread for ages but now I finally am willing to post in it.

I dunno how long I've been drawing for, I have art back when I thought drawing on lined paper was acceptable for a comic (Like what? 3 days ago? trololol!) but recently I've finally gotten to doing something with it.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
HG131 said:
Asuka Soryu said:

http://asukalangleysoryu.deviantart.com/

Most of my pics are done in MS Paint, like the one above.
My first thought is: Awesome. Second is: HOLY FUCKNUGGETS, THAT WAS DONE IN PAINT? Seriously, that multiplies the awesome by 7.
lol Thank you. It nearly killed me to draw that.

Zemalac

Apr 22, 2008
A couple images from the D&D game I started running a few months ago.

The players responded to a "help wanted" note on the local bounty board and found themselves hired by this gentleman. I believe he described himself as a "preserved foods merchant." Which is, of course, why the job ended with a firefight in some warlord's fortress.

Early concept for one of the game's villains.

Pig Mazurka

Mar 28, 2011

A doodle I did a little while ago.

The paper's all shitty because it was from an old sketch book that had water dumped on it years ago. :(

Cartoons<3

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
A 3d scene I've been working on. I tore off the textures a few times, and keep going back and adding more geometry. It'd be cool if I could set up a few renders from different angles of the street as a final goal.

Besides that I've just been doing stupid fanart stuff for fun.

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
Here's some rough concept art I did for a game my friends and I are putting together.

This next one was an attempt at Photoshop painting, something I still don't have a solid grip on.

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
A couple more creatures, from the past couple weeks:

Viking Incognito

Master Headsplitter
Nov 8, 2009
I would contribute some of my writing but I only ever write Short Stories or occasionally playing with an idea that I could expand into a novel. So what I'm saying is my stuff is too long.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Im sure there are plenty of steampunk enthusists to tell me "Im doing it wrong" for that I aplogise

I intend to expand this into a biger picure (you know with a background and everything)

[spoiler/] [http://s1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb437/Vault10191/?action=view&amp;current=steampunkmanjaypeg.jpg][/spoiler]

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Who says we have to paint on flat surfaces?

I got bored with my bass being plain black, so I decided to put some decor on there.

Jeez, I need to clean the fingerprints off that thing...

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Noone else has posted since April? Huh...

Why does the escapist pixelate my drawings so?
I like the contrast between the first and last drawing...

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
I guess it's been a while since I posted some creatures. Here's two recent ones:
Red-Hot Speckled, Rock Muncher

Faberge Dragon