The Banhammer and You: A User's Guide to the Forums

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Well thank you for a great read that spells out the Mod's methods of punishment. I really hope that some certain posters read this maybe we can move towards becoming one of the best forums to just chat and have a fun discussion without some idiot spamming the thread

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Daye.04 said:
How .. Off day? Like pissed, or not so natural feelings?
How really stupid? Like not very clever to say, or really stupid?
Come on, you'll be helpoing out fellow Escapists to know what side alleys not to enter in favor of Neo!
As in posting the sort of comment that you know will get banned.

See my reply to SimuLord's post [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/18.112832.2028045] for a better explanation.
smallharmlesskitten said:
Krunk to my knowledge the post timer resets.. I got banned and 200 posts and a week later I got the Trinity Badge
I thought that too, until the staff officially declared that they were unattainable after any form of moderator wrath is inflicted. Maybe you had made 100 posts, then got banned? I don't know how you managed to get it.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
UPDATE: Included 'BB Code Abuse' point under the 'Probations' subtopic. Thanks to scotth266 for the idea.

smallharmlesskitten

Not David Bowie
Apr 3, 2008
Lord Krunk said:
UPDATE: Included 'BB Code Abuse' point under the 'Probations' subtopic. Thanks to scotth266 for the idea.

Krunk.. i distinctly remember getting banned after 1000 posts or so.... ban time running out, making more posts and then getting the badge...

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
smallharmlesskitten said:
Lord Krunk said:

Krunk.. i distinctly remember getting banned after 1000 posts or so.... ban time running out, making more posts and then getting the badge...
I think I've worked out what it is.

You must have gotten 100 posts before the badges appeared, right? Considering the fact that you've been around almost as long as me.

If you made 100 posts without getting banned beforehand, you would have automatically achieved Trinity upon its release, no matter if you got banned after those first 100 posts.

Would explain why you haven't got Morpheus as well.

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
Just to point out that your banned post example, the infamous 'Eggo's Lol What?' post was one that had many people asking what he was banned for.

After all, it certainly isn't obvious. Maybe putting a more definitive example would make it clearer to the readers of this most excellent thread?

Liverandbacon

Nov 27, 2008
ravens_nest said:
Just to point out that your banned post example, the infamous 'Eggo's Lol What?' post was one that had many people asking what he was banned for.

After all, it certainly isn't obvious. Maybe putting a more definitive example would make it clearer to the readers of this most excellent thread?
Didn't the mods clarify by editing the post to explain that it wasn't the "lol wut" that got him banned, it was the huge amounts of complaints they had received regarding him? Or was that Richard Groovy Pants' ban? As to the Neo badge, I think the whole point of it is to be hard to obtain. I really do love the fact that the badges require a lack of moderator wrath, since it makes them a far more accurate barometer of someone's contribution to the forums than post count alone.

purplegothchick

Mar 19, 2009
Thankyou, I found this very useful. I haven't been a member for a very long time, so it's nice to have the rules laid out with examples to clarify them for everyone. Great work :D

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Whoohoo! I didn't realize that this had been stickied till just now. I is one happy panda!

Seriously: Good work Krunk. It's not every day that a thread is so good it gets the sticky treatment!

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
CuddlyCombine said:
sorry user name taken. said:
CuddlyCombine said:
Helpful, but I'm still willing to bet that hardly anybody's going to read it.

i did >.>
Anyone serious about the forums will (i.e. myself, you). Badge miners and postcounting freaks probably won't, or give it a skim at best.
Good. I hope they don't. It'll make it just that much easier for us to notice them and weed them out. We're not really interested in keeping postcount whores as part of our community.
Well you shouldn't tempt them with shiny badges then Susan :p

NewClassic_v1legacy

Bringer of Words
Jul 30, 2008
Sparrow Tag said:
Susan Arendt said:
CuddlyCombine said:
sorry user name taken. said:
CuddlyCombine said:
Helpful, but I'm still willing to bet that hardly anybody's going to read it.

i did >.>
Anyone serious about the forums will (i.e. myself, you). Badge miners and postcounting freaks probably won't, or give it a skim at best.
Good. I hope they don't. It'll make it just that much easier for us to notice them and weed them out. We're not really interested in keeping postcount whores as part of our community.
Well you shouldn't tempt them with shiny badges then Susan :p
And punish us for their really bad behavior? I'd rather not.

new_age_reject

Lives in dactylic hexameter.
Dec 28, 2008
Daye.04 said:
new_age-Reject said:
Haha, I was having an 'off day' and I said something really stupid so fair dos lol.
Not .. Supposed .. To .. Post while influe.. Ah, what the hell. I probably won't get moderator wraith for this anyway.

How .. Off day? Like pissed, or not so natural feelings?
How really stupid? Like not very clever to say, or really stupid?
Come on, you'll be helpoing out fellow Escapists to know what side alleys not to enter in favor of Neo!
I was having an angry day.
Which means I tend to snap at people when they haven't even done anything to irritate me.
I got all up my own ass about the whole valentines day thing and I slated the whole love hearts thing we got for no reason which was out of place.

Daye.04

Proud Escaperino
Feb 9, 2009
new_age_reject said:
I was having an angry day.
Which means I tend to snap at people when they haven't even done anything to irritate me.
I got all up my own ass about the whole valentines day thing and I slated the whole love hearts thing we got for no reason which was out of place.
Ah. I guess it was kinda fair, then =P
This is exactly the reason I try to avoid posting if I'm up late ..