The Battleship Movie Trailer Is Here!

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
You got your Transformers in my Board Game!

You got your Board Game in my Transformers!

...best movie idea ever?

Hatchet90

Nov 15, 2009
I think Bill and Ted did it better, and with 90's style.

If Michael Bay and Uwe Boll had a love child, I think this'd be it.

But at least it has the balls to call itself Battleship, rather than that other nostalgic game from my childhood.

It's Rock'Em Sock'Em Robots you assholes!

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
Unfortunately, Hasbro already made its own franchised movie obsolete, by releasing Battleship Galaxies just a few weeks ago. Take Battleship, replace it with spaceship miniatures, replace random guessing with tactical deployment and you have a kickass game, and I yawn at your 20th-century water boats and baysplosions.

Oh, and the two sides in Galaxies are asymmetrical.

:edit: Just saw the cast list, Peter MacNicol is in the film along with Neeson. This just became my #2 movie to watch after Dark Knight and a Half.

Schmittler

Aug 4, 2010
Am I seriously seeing this right now? What in God's name is the point? I'm calling it a flop, right now.

jFr[e]ak93

Apr 9, 2010
The Gentleman said:
Please tell me this is a well-done elaborate prank.
And that is all that my disbelief filled mind can muster. This may change Movie Bob's opinion of the Transformers series...

sunpop

Oct 23, 2008
Why liam WHYYYY you have so much talent and you throw it away on crap like this!

Also WHY ALIENS DIDN'T THEY LEARN FROM INDIANA!

Feb 13, 2008
Hey Hollywood, I'll do you a deal. You can make films out of any boardgame you wish if you leave the rest of my childhood alone. I'll even sit through them. Deal?

Shoelip

Jul 17, 2008
So wait. They take the USS Missouri out into the open ocean? This movie is preposterous!

Oh well, at least they're putting money into the Hawaiian economy.

darkfire613

Jun 26, 2009
This has the potential to be the quintessential "so bad it's good" movie. I hope it becomes that, because it looks like it has just enough campiness to pull it off.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
an874 said:
I thought this was joke until I saw Liam Neeson.
Me too. I was like: "Oh very good! Nice one guys, you really had me for a... wait, what? Liam Neeson? Riiiight...

I really don't understand this. WHY this particular brand? They could easily make this film separate from the Battleship brand name without fear of anyone ever saying: "Hey! They ripped off a board game!"

Surely linking it, however teniously, to a brand would cause more problems for the film company than it solves. Besides, it's not like the brand in question is something huge like a book or a game. It's not like people are going to say: "Hey I really enjoyed playing Battleship, therefore this movie must be great too!" Or are they?

It's like saying you're going to see an Agatha Christie movie because you enjoy playing Cluedo (Clue in America?) Utter madness!

EDIT: Ok, so I just discovered that a movie of Cluedo [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clue_%28film%29] WAS actually made. So... I really don't know where I stand with my analogy now...

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
Allow me to cry a tear for every aspiring film maker with his own script who did not get funding.

The idea of making a movie based on this game is already weird. But now they add aliens and try to play this completely straight? I would sooner give Tommy Wisseau funding again above someone who pitched this idea to me.

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
manythings said:
sir.rutthed said:
And I was so hoping for someone to scream "THEY SUNK OUR BATTLESHIP!!!"
That's the twist ending, their battleship was actually an alien the whole time!

Casual Shinji said:
You'd think hyper-advanced aliens would have better things to do then to attack Earth...... for the gazillionth time.
Once you reach a certain point of technological advancement the only thing left is screwing with more primitive civilisations. RE: cattle mutilation, crop circles and such.

OT: Liam Neeson? Either he got paid insano cash or the movie might not be 100% fucktared.
I kinda think it was like this.

Old Liam and his friend , lets call him Paddy Producer, sat together with a couple of Beers, maybe a good whisky or two and then this happened.

"Okay Pad, if i finish my Pint before you did, you have to make a movie out of a simple dumb boardgame"
*gulpgulpgulp*
"Haha you lost, now youhave to do..:"
"Liam don't be mean-""-battleship the movie hahahahaha"
"Well ok ol'friend, but if i get down a glas o'whisky in one go you have to star in it haha"

"haha well played, i'll do it,ya crazy basterd, if we remember this tomorrow that is."

Yeah i guess something along this happened

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Aliens? What do aliens have to do with friggin' Battleship? Not that I care because...that actually looks pretty cool. Huh, who knows, might be a half-decent action flick with nice explosions and special effects. I do like the view of a battleship firing a broadside salvo.
sir.rutthed said:
And I was so hoping for someone to scream "THEY SUNK OUR BATTLESHIP!!!"
The movie will have failed if it doesn't have that.

Azure Knight-Zeo

Jun 7, 2010
TheNaut131 said:
Plus, they still managed to keep the basic themes: Not being able to truly see know where the enemy is(lack of radar and targeting technology), the confinement of the game and evenly divided sections (the force field), and simply two groups trying to blow each other out of the water.
Also I noticed the bullets the alien shoots are similar to the pegs you use in the game.