The best animated films ever made

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Just Another Topic.

Tell me what animated films left a lasting impression on you. One, two, but no more than a top 5.
And do explain why you picked the films :)

Here's mine:

- Castle in the Sky.
One of my favorite Ghibli films, next to Princess Mononoké, Nausicaä and Porco Rosso (and Grave of the Fireflies, but that one's just too painful). Beautiful setting, enjoyable storytelling, lots of humor and - as always - excellent animation.

- The Land Before Time.
Mainly because of all the nostalgia :)
(and the fact that dinosaurs are pretty awesome)

- Fritz The Cat.
The animation is crappy, it shamelessly promotes itself as an X-rated animated movie and - and I love it! It's covered with this unique, trashy feel and gives a lovely psychedelic image of the ending 60's and beginning 70's. A bit like Apocalypse Now did with the Vietnam war. It's a pity Robert Crumb himself was displeased by it. I also saw the sequel, but was left with a 'meh'-feeling.

- The Animatrix.
Technically not a single film, but... What else would you call it? It's in the same league as Batman: Gotham Knight and Halo: Legends - but in my opinion far superior to those. In the entire Matrix-scene, this is probably the best one, apart from the original movie. Especially the '2nd renaissance' bit. I mean, it's absolutely magnificent (and terrifying) how they explain everything up to the setting of the Matrix-universe in the other films. Not to mention the way they portrait the downfall of man through his own actions. Also, the "Final Flight Of Osiris" and "Kid's Story" are essential if you want to understand The Matrix: Reloaded.

- Robin Hood (by Disney).
The project first started out as an animated version of 'Van den Vos Reynaerde' or, for English speaking people: the adventures of the Fox Renard. The one from all those old Dutch fables. But, it would seem Renard wasn't really popular enough (and if you had read the actual fables, not exactly suited for children), so they opted to go with Robin Hood instead. Of course, the anthropomorphic animals stayed, resulting in a very interesting approach to the Robin Hood Story. Good music, good story and some humor and drama at just the right times. A lovely animated film - despite the budget issues Disney had at the time.

lee1287

Apr 7, 2009
WALL.E

Because the story is so unique and the robot is so cute, but it's a robot and not a real thing! EEK! :D.

The land before time.

Because it was the the best film ever and made me cry, plus it was the first film i remember seeing (as a little kid anyway)

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
You forgot Toy Story and The Lion King. Shame on you.
I'd also say that Howl's Moving Castle was better than Castle in the Sky. Just my thoughts on the matter though.

Anyway, my list would be:

• Toy Story
    The Lion King
    Howl's Moving Castle
    The Nightmare Before Christmas

And something else...

Edit: Grave of the Fireflies

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
lee1287 said:
WALL.E

Because the story is so unique and the robot is so cute, but it's a robot and not a real thing! EEK! :D.

The land before time.

Because it was the the best film ever and made me cry, plus it was the first film i remember seeing (as a little kid anyway)
It's rare to make a character so emotive it transcends the need of dialogue.

OT: The animatrix had two good parts, The New Renaissance and A Detective Story. The rest were utter piss.

*Peruses collection* If we are talking from a purist point of view I can't really think of anything amazing beyond Kung Fu panda and the Pixar back catalogue (screw you A bug's life). If you are open to real actor animation fusion the new Appleseed (not new anymore) and a Scanner Darkly (RDJ is on my list with Christian Bale of actors who don't let you down).

Rylot

May 14, 2010
This marks probably the twentieth time I've mentioned Grave of the Fireflys but god damn it was powerful. also anything Pixar touches, if I haven't been ninja'd yet.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
- The Land Before Time -
Need I elaborate? I mean, really, need I?

- The Rescuers Down Under -
An underrated member of Disney canon with great visuals, awesome music, a fantastic villain, excellent action, and genuine suspense. All in all, an excellent film that doesn't get the attention it deserves.

- Up -
How many films can start with fifteen minutes of silence and set up both the tone and backstory of the film perfectly? ...Okay, "There Will Be Blood", but besides that film being live-action, "Up" manages to trump it by throwing a much wider range of emotions than the former... plus it shows that it can be a children's film without having to baby it up for them.

Naheal

Sep 6, 2009
Fallen-Angel Risen-Demon said:
I'm going to say...
Titan: AE.
One of the first animated films I remember seeing.
I was about to say... no mention of Titan: AE?

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
-Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust

I have never seen a more beautifully animated movie in my life. The art design is colorful and Victorian while still maintaining a post-apocalyptic feeling throughout, and the sheer amount of detail is exquisite. Special recognition goes to the animation of the fight sequences, which is smooth and coherent while remaining visually consistent with the rest of the movie (there's no Naruto-like art style shift when a fight scene comes up).

The soundtrack is fantastic. I can't think of a single piece of music in that movie that didn't add to the scene in which it resided in some positive way.

The story is nothing to scoff at, either. Bounty hunters, the titular hero included, are hired to rescue an aristocratic young woman from a powerful vampire nobleman, and on their journey they must contend with the vampire's hired hands. The twist is that the nobleman and the human he "abducted" were genuinely in love and simply wanted to be left alone. It would be nicer if the romance between the main antagonist and his lover was elaborated on a slight, though it never comes close to the Edward-Bella levels of, "How in the shit-spewing hell of cuntfuck are they in love?" Luckily, their interactions never lack the sort of authenticity that would make such a question arise immediately upon viewing.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
I can't just list stuff by Pixar. I can't. It's too easy.

Shrek 1 and Shrek 2 are superb animated family films. Some of the only family films to have achieved that title without being made by Pixar.
And I liked Treasure Planet, even if few others did.