The Lion King
Tarzan
Mulan
Hurcules

Rylot

May 14, 2010
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Rylot said:
This marks probably the twentieth time I've mentioned Grave of the Fireflys but god damn it was powerful.
Thanks for reminding me. That's 5th on my list now :D
Just make sure you have something very happy to watch afterwords.

Captain Booyah

Apr 19, 2010
There are way, way too many for me to list, but Toy Story is one of my favourite films of all time, and its sequels. It's such a great concept, and I'm pretty sure that it's something we've all wondered at some point as little kids: what would happen if toys came to life when you're not there? Also, for me personally, just knowing the characters automatically made me reminisce about my own favourite childhood relics, and that fondness transferred over to the characters on screen.

Additionally, Basil and the Great Mouse Detective, which is pretty unknown but what I will wax lyrical about at every chance, and more recently, Coraline. I love the visuals with the gothic, kooky, fairy-tale type story, and she reminds me (and others, as I've been told) of myself when I was a little girl. The book was great, too. And her hair was awesome.

EDIT: Oh my God, how did I forget WALL-E? I'd argue that that's one of the best examples of animated film ever. How a little robot that can barely speak can convey so much emotion is amazing.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Cpt_Oblivious said:
You forgot Toy Story and The Lion King. Shame on you.
I'd also say that Howl's Moving Castle was better than Castle in the Sky. Just my thoughts on the matter though.

Anyway, my list would be:

• Toy Story
    The Lion King
    Howl's Moving Castle
    The Nightmare Before Christmas

And something else...

Edit: Grave of the Fireflies
Toy Story and The Lion King?
Watch them and loved them, with all my heart, but since we're talking 'lasting impression', they sadly just escape my top 5.

Also, Howl's Moving Castle is a great movie - like everything Ghibli does - but stuff like Laputa and Nausicaä had a bigger impact on me than Howl's.

(Grave of the Fireflies, such a sad movie...)

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
Second renaissance made me scared and sad at the same time - it was also what showed me that in the matrix films, the machines are the good guys. Their actions are unnecessarily benevolent (creating a paradise world for the people who tried to genocide you, even if it failed, they tried), and the humans only recourse is unending war, even if it's futile.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
Arqus_Zed said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
You forgot Toy Story and The Lion King. Shame on you.
I'd also say that Howl's Moving Castle was better than Castle in the Sky. Just my thoughts on the matter though.

Anyway, my list would be:

• Toy Story
    The Lion King
    Howl's Moving Castle
    The Nightmare Before Christmas

And something else...

Edit: Grave of the Fireflies
Toy Story and The Lion King?
Watch them and loved them, with all my heart, but since we're talking 'lasting impression', they sadly just escape my top 5.

Also, Howl's Moving Castle is a great movie - like everything Ghibli does - but stuff like Laputa and Nausicaä had a bigger impact on me than Howl's.

(Grave of the Fireflies, such a sad movie...)
Ah, I just love The Lion King and am struggling to find a DVD of it anywhere. It's not just in my top 5 animated films, it's in the general top 5. The same with Toy Story actually, though I have a DVD of it.

As for Howls..., it was the first anime movie I saw, which might explain my attachment to it.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Watership Down. I win.

Holy shit, whole generations of children have been emotionally harmed by the power of this dark brooding animation. The voice cast is amazing, a who's who of British talent, including Stephen Fry, Rik Mayall, Phil Jupitus, Jane Horrocks, Dawn French, John Hurt, and Richard Briers.

I don't think there has been anything like it since. I'd love to see Moviebobs take on it.

If you've not seen it you should. Having said that I don't think I could bring myself to watch it again.

There are not many childrens animations where:

Baby rabbits you have grown attached to a viscerally, brutally murdered

Eremiel

Apr 24, 2008
The Secret of NIMH.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_of_NIMH

Easily Bluth's best movie and the best animated movie I've ever seen.

Arisato-kun

Apr 22, 2009
A lot of the films I consider great have already been mentioned so I'll just include what I consider the greatest cinematic achievement of mankind.

Evangelion 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance

Nov 7, 2009
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Ah, I just love The Lion King and am struggling to find a DVD of it anywhere. It's not just in my top 5 animated films, it's in the general top 5.
Same here. I've watched it dozens of times, listened to the soundtrack hundreds.

As for other animated films...I really can't think of any that've made as lasting an impression on me than the Lion King.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Unabletothinkofname said:
As for other animated films...I really can't think of any that've made as lasting an impression on me than the Lion King.
Try Watership Down. I now can't stand rabbits.

AngelicSven

Aug 24, 2010
Ghost In The Shell - It was one of the first animes I've ever seen and it's influence on sci-fi media is exceptional. The Matrix essentially is a live action version. :/

Princess Mononoké - It has such an interesting feel to it, a mystical feudal Japan type thing, and the characters actually had realistic responses. Soundtrack was amazing too.