The best animated films ever made

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children is by far my favourite.. the complete version mind you, the complete version.

duedmen

Sep 23, 2009
anything pixar or disney animated, treasure planet,vampire hunter D blood lust,the fantastic mr. fox was quite amusing as well,batman mask of phantasam,Akira,nightmere before christmas,Iron giant,titan A.E.,

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Most any of the animated movies from this list [http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/2384-top-11-underated-nostalgic-classics]

There are too many of them for me to name since I'm a huge animation buff, but in general ANYTHING by Pixar and most ANYTHING by Studio Ghibil. Most of the movies mentioned here I've seen and loved, with some underrated ones like;

The Emperor's New Groove
Treasure Planet
The Iron Giant
Hercules (If only because the villain, Hades, is so much fun)

And plenty of others I don't have time to list.

EDIT: Damn, I wish I could list them all, this thread is bringing back memories.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Arqus_Zed said:
- Fritz The Cat.
I just looked the trailer up on Youtube... Couldn't stand it when it got to the cat undressing a girl cat in a bath tub and I was like "What the hell? Nudity?!". That was just something I did not wanna see...

OT:

Up: A master piece of a Plot you think wouldn't work, with Actors that haven't been popular for a while, and a message so torn and out of shape it's become boring. All fixed up that it just brings tears to your eyes when you watch it. I highly recommend this film.

Pyotr Romanov

Jul 8, 2009
Zap Rowsdower said:
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Watch it and you'll understand.
Funny you should say that, I just watched it a few minutes ago and was slightly disappointed. Probably because I was expecting something like Corpse Bride (which is still my favorite animated movie), but got something that was... More kiddy. It was great, but I couldn't shake the feeling that I was supposed to watch it with a 8 year old sibling.

GodofDisaster

Premium member
Sep 10, 2009
The Lion king, I have nothing but the utmost respect for that film.

Also Akira. The animation is amazing for something made in 1988 and the story was just fantastic.

Also did anyone else find the dream sequence with the giant rabbits, to be really fucked up?

Elonas

Apr 16, 2009
Spirited Away: It is just too awesome. I've seen it so many times and still am not tiered of it. My most watched film of -all- time.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time: An amazing film, one of the closest films to have been able to make me shed manly-tears... In a manly way.

Aladdin(mainly the first): I was a big fan of Aladdin when I was a kid. And I remember it being hillarious. And the second film being so scary I couldn't watch it fully...

There are undoubtedly more, buuuuut I can't remeber any right now... So yeah!

EDIT: OH. Just read from another post: Emperor's New Groove. NOW THAT was a funny movie. I still have it somewhere in my shelves, years after I should have grown out of it.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Ok, am I the only person who liked Beauty and the Beast? Its probably the only film I can watch on a loop without getting bored of it. The characters are well voiced and brilliantly animated, the music (both the background score and the songs) are fantastic and all 3 leads are well rounded.

I liked the 1st 10 minutes or so of Up, but I wasn't a fan of the rest of it. I also like An American Tail, Spirited Away, Grave of the Fireflies and a lot of the recent Disney and Pixar Canon.

DRSH1989

Aug 20, 2010
Uh... Scooby Doo on Zombie Island? :D I loved the music when I was like 10 years old:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NfHCQdAdJw

Wrds

Dyslexic Wonder
Sep 4, 2008
Fallen-Angel Risen-Demon said:
Naheal said:
Fallen-Angel Risen-Demon said:
I'm going to say...
Titan: AE.
One of the first animated films I remember seeing.
I was about to say... no mention of Titan: AE?
I know, it's severely underrated, too bad most good animated things are.
It's not underrated, it and Anastasia were highly acclaimed animations, due in no small part to Don Bluth's genius. Just Titan A.E. failed to appeal to people for some reason, it never became as popular as it should have been.

Under appreciated would better describe it.

On another note, the first Digimon movie was freaking amazing and is still one of my favorites to this day.

The land before time...man I remember watching that so much the VHS wore out and broke, god was I sad.

Thank you for mentioning EVA 2.22 Arisato-kun, that movie brought out and magnified all the feelings I had watching the show back in the day, a true Masterpiece. Anno finally did right by his creation.

If anyone's heard of them, 5 centimeters per second, and Beyond the Clouds the Promised Place are both great movies. Both pretty melodramatic but very very good, great for watching as a couple...extremely sad though.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Pish, posh I don't watch cartoons!... I'm a man. Big, manly man who likes watching wrestling and manly things like!... Men hitting other men, or watching men pick really heavy things up!. Not silly cartoons!... That's a women's thing!.

-Hides Special Edition DVD of Beauty and the Beast-

Yeah!!... Erm... Now lets get on to manly things!...

Okay seriously. I love Disney cartoons. My favourite being Beauty and The Beast, The Lion King being not far behind it. Though I'll sit through them all. Cinderella, Snow White, Little Mermaid... Along with any other Disney Cartoon I haven't mentioned.

-Sniff- Alright, I admit it... I'm a big man-child -sniff-

Wrds said:
[
It's not underrated, it and Anastasia were highly acclaimed animations, due in no small part to Don Bluth's genius. Just Titan A.E. failed to appeal to people for some reason, it never became as popular as it should have been.

Under appreciated would better describe it.
Or under-acknowledged would be another way to describe it. I don't think it was under appreciated or under rated. It's just the general populace of the mainstream didn't really give it much acknowledgement. Possible because the plot was a little more complexed than your average cartoon.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Mr.Mattress said:
Arqus_Zed said:
- Fritz The Cat.
I just looked the trailer up on Youtube... Couldn't stand it when it got to the cat undressing a girl cat in a bath tub and I was like "What the hell? Nudity?!". That was just something I did not wanna see...

OT:

Up: A master piece of a Plot you think wouldn't work, with Actors that haven't been popular for a while, and a message so torn and out of shape it's become boring. All fixed up that it just brings tears to your eyes when you watch it. I highly recommend this film.
Yeah, well, that's pretty much what Fritz The Cat is all about: sex, drugs and rock 'n roll of the 60's. Sure as hell left a lasting impression on me - since it's an independent film, it gives a very unbiased image of the situation in that day and age. It liked it: original, bold, funny and crappy - but in an enjoyable way. A one of a kind that changed the way I looked at animation.

Of course, if you're offended by a set of badly drawn anthropomorphic feline mammeries... Then I suppose you'll have to get rid of the Victorian mindset first :)

And I really liked Up, but the movie's only a year old. I rather let a minimum of 3 years pass to see if it really had a lasting impression.

(that, and I don't like to include Pixar films in these lists. They are simply so unique and massive, that they are pretty much a genre on their own. It's like:

- "You want to watch an live-action or an animation movie?"

= "Bah, neither, i'd rather go watch a Pixar."

They're hard to compare with other films - not because they're 'sooo much better that all the rest', but more because they're so different in both story, budget, process and animation. They seem completely torn loose from all other animated films.)

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
-"Memories" by Katsuhiro Otomo

-all Wallace & Gromit + Shaun the Sheep shorts/films

-Fantasia version of 1940 or so (watch it on Youtube)

-all the old Asterix and Tintin movies are still fun...

My last one isn't a movie but an animated Serie called:

-Rahan (set in prehistoric times)

By The Way, Robin Hood (1973 film) was an excellent choice!