The BEST FPS game of all time [your opinoins]

burgbrand22

Jul 10, 2009
Gotta give it to the awesome Team Fortress 2. Second would go to the Call of Duty games. But all I gotta say is, Valve rules!!!!!!! Go Steam!!!!! And your annoyingly cheap sales too!!!!

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I've enjoyed Combat Arms the most but the honour goes to Battlefield:Bad Company.

Maybe some other Battlefield game, perhaps Doom or Duke Nukem; there's too many to choose from you see.

LinkSwitch

Jan 1, 2011
As much as i hate to admit it...

COD 4.

I love Half Life 2, and games like CS: Source - but with all of the nice graphical enhancements and such, I have to give COD the title.

migo

Jun 27, 2010
Multiplayer: Unreal Tournament 2004 - even the single player with bots is done well thanks to how it handles getting points for winning matches and selecting team-mates. All the other versions of Unreal Tournament are also pretty damn good, but 2004 is definitely the best among them. It doesn't hurt that it can be configured to run well on a netbook.

Single Player: Deus Ex - there's no need for balance, so having the option to upgrade your stats in different ways really supports the cyberpunk vibe as well as better enabling you to pick your playstyle in terms of how how you approach beating objectives.

Inconspicuous Trenchcoat

Shinku Hadouken!
Nov 12, 2009
Counter-Strike by far, for all-time favorite. I've played so many, many fun LAN games of Counter-Strike, from 1on1, 2v2 to 16v16. I used to go to a LAN cafe with friends, and EVERYONE in the joint played Counter-Strike on LAN together. No other FPS had a chance.

My current favorite FPS is probably Killing Floor (it's my current because I don't play Counter-Strike much anymore, but still have fun in it whenever I do; I also don't play much FPS in general these days). I love games that feel like a mod, and Killing Floor certainly does. It's good co-op fun, and it's hard so you don't get bored easily.

Honorable Mentions: Call of Duty 2 and Team Fortress 2

EDIT: Seeing an above posting, I'll add favorite single player FPS: Deus Ex. Just take a moment to get over its dated graphics, and you're good to go. Awesome game.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
This is a badly titled thread. Shouldn't it be 'favourite' FPS, not 'best'.

Favourite means choosing something personal, whilst best connotes the idea we're choosing what it the best FPS from a technical standpoint, right?

Anyway, my personal favourite is Quake 3 Arena.

The best, probably the first Far Cry, due to it having amazing visuals for the time, a great variety of locations, weapons, multiple ways to approach a situation/ location, etc.

Eric_Autopsy

May 19, 2009
System Shock 2 for it's spooky and addicting story while still maintaining a sci-fi universe that I found enjoyable.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. for it's sort of realism and (not really) helping my obsessive compulsive nature as a human (debatable).
Amnesia: The Dark Descent for being the most scariest game and yet most innovative game (having the player run instead of fight, for example) I have played this year.
ES IV: Oblivion for compelling to my own nature of overlooking flaws and instead finding gems in a storyline.

Ezahn

The Werepianist
Jul 26, 2010
Halo for whole package and influence on my gaming diet.

Team Fortress 2 for awesome, creative multiplayer.

Axzarious

Feb 18, 2010
Hmmmm.... I know I have always enjoyed Turok 2... Halflife 2 and Dark Messiah come to mind as well.

chieften

Sep 15, 2009
ciortas1 said:
Using nostalgia to rate games is something I pretty much despise. How does it being the first game you had fun in with friends make it the best ever? How does anything being the first of anything make it any good?
Well what I should have meant was that the support for and among the mod community was at a level that I rarely see anymore in a major fps. when they threw in all that crazy stuff by modders to games like battlefield 1942 and the early call of duties, they were putting things into the game that it wasn't built necessarily with in mind. It would be like if someone released a mod for modern warfare 2 that had zero gravity sections with futuristic tanks fighting on maps ten times the size of the brecourt.

That and regenerative health is a copout.

Vibhor

Aug 4, 2010
FinalDream said:
System Shock 2 - I still love this game, great story, setting, enemies and locations.
Beaten me to it.
Better than bioshock.Actually scratch that.
Better than everything

Manoose47

Dec 8, 2010
call of duty 1 greatest single player experience in any shooter, it was like playing Band of brothers! every faction had pros and cons to their weapon sets that made them very well balanced. Pavlovs house on veteran! scary as hell! and with 64 player multiplayer maps? how could i pick anythin else, the add on: United offensive rocked too

Virus49

Jul 7, 2009
Quake 3 Arena

Absolutely no contest, most fun I've ever had on any multiplayer game ever.

Kraj

Jan 21, 2008
The Darkness. the first fps that affected me emotionally and I put off chores/work/eduction to play. Again and again.