the best fps games ever!

The Epicosity

Mar 19, 2011
With singleplayer, I would go with Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway, or any BiA title, they combine the FPS with RTS elements, two of my favorite genres.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
Halo 2 and Call of Duty 4

When I think FPS I think of multiplayer, and those are the best 2 examples of perfect multiplayer.

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
dues ex is a given. for modern fps, you have the metroid prime trology on the Wii. it's not on your list... you should forget all the other suggestions and get that.

Z(ombie)fan

Mar 12, 2010
marfin_ said:
Malikaw said:
PORTAL ISN'T A FIRST PERSON SHOOTER IT'S A FIRST PERSON PUZZLE-PLATFORMER

/turn off cruise control for cool
You shoot things (portals) and it is in first person. It is a fps shooter!
*beats poster to death with his own brain*

no. shut up. FPS are called FPS for being SHOOTER GAMES, with SHOOTER GAMEPLAY, in FIRST PERSON. "shooting" portals is more descriptive of PUZZLE GAMES than SHOOTERS and if it wasn't in FIRST PERSON would you still call it a SHOOTER? probably not.

/RAGE

that said timesplitters.

fucking awesome.

Also: Doom. especially Doom 3, since you fucking people have to keep bashing it for, i don't know, being the only of two games to truly value single player in an fps for most of 2004? hey, thanks for sending that message! really! and thanks for sending that message multiple times!

lukemdizzle

Jul 7, 2008
Half-Life series
Halo (1, 2, and reach)
Bioshock
Metroid Prime

I have not played deus ex as I have only ever owned macs so don't stone me for not including it

wurrble182

Jul 20, 2010
in its day, goldeneye truly was golden, in my eyes. *punnage*

this gen? im more of an RPGer so bioshock hit all the right notes for me.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
marfin_ said:
Since just about everyone else suggested all the good ones, one title comes to mind that is great and very under appreciated. That game is XIII. A conspiracy mystery FPS based on a Belgian comic book series and features the voices of Adam West and David Duchovney.

Also, if it's possible, play Crysis 1. Many people would call it "generic", but those are the people who didn't understand that the suit modes could do more than was implied. I still consider it to be one of the best FPS's of this generation.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
believer258 said:
That would be a crying shame, they make some pretty good games. They made Quake 4, and that was pretty awesome.
ya, but they also make some not-so-great games too, and games that are decent but just dont sell... they seem to be kind of a hit and miss developer.

also, from Wikipedia: A major layoff at the company occurred in August 2009 after the failure of X-Men Origins: Wolverine and the poor performance of Wolfenstein, followed by another in October 2010 after delays with Singularity.

thats not good.

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
Someone will problably make fun of me, but my favourites are timesplitters (future perfect), King Kong (for ps2) and Prey...

Timesplitters i loved the changes and time travelling and the hilarious action comedy in a explosion filled content that will scar a smile onto youre face...

King Kong... hey i loved fighting T-Rex... it had some parts that were boring, but the game has great mechanics and its a great game... if for example you end up withouth bullets for youre guns, youll have to resort to luck, and resources within the map... or if you find a dino that you have a hard time beating.. you could bait him (with bugs on a stick)... or even set fire to a spear and torch the fields, clearing paths, and opening youre range of view to the dangers that lurk the island...

And Prey.... hell it was portal before portal even existed.. it had winning mechanics and extremely fun to play gameplay... when i discovered about prey 2, being set on a futuristic grim world, open to exploration and with parkour elements, in wich you are a bounty hunter (wich brings me to the bobba fett awesomness), i just jumped in joy!!!

marfin_

Mar 14, 2011
Z(ombie)fan said:
marfin_ said:
Malikaw said:
PORTAL ISN'T A FIRST PERSON SHOOTER IT'S A FIRST PERSON PUZZLE-PLATFORMER

/turn off cruise control for cool
You shoot things (portals) and it is in first person. It is a fps shooter!
*beats poster to death with his own brain*

no. shut up. FPS are called FPS for being SHOOTER GAMES, with SHOOTER GAMEPLAY, in FIRST PERSON. "shooting" portals is more descriptive of PUZZLE GAMES than SHOOTERS and if it wasn't in FIRST PERSON would you still call it a SHOOTER? probably not.

/RAGE

that said timesplitters.

fucking awesome.

Also: Doom. especially Doom 3, since you fucking people have to keep bashing it for, i don't know, being the only of two games to truly value single player in an fps for most of 2004? hey, thanks for sending that message! really! and thanks for sending that message multiple times!
It is under the fps genre, you can "specifically" put call it under the fps sub category of fp puzzle platformer if you like... :p

A Werewolf

Jun 27, 2011
MAG is fun if only for its massive combat.

Failing that, I recommend Battlefield 2/Bad company 2

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Prey was a shining gem of a game when I rented it a few years back. Sure it's a bit dated but the mechanics were well implemented and the guns were fun to use. Looking forward to the sequel although it has taken a leap away from what the first one was.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
My choice would be Serious Sam First Encounter and Serious Sam Second Encounter (Ill cheat and class them as one game since the fusion DLC combined the HD versions together.

Also Quake 2 still stands up today as a very fun action FPS, the fact that the baddies are smaller than other games makes them harder to hit.

Fear 1 is a well balanced FPS with top notch squad AI.

As for story FPS games, ill go for System shock 2, Deus Ex, Theif 1 / 2 and the Half Life series. Morrowind is my favorite RPG / FPS, its a shame that the modern examples of Bioware's and Bethesda's games dont stand up to their previous PC exclusives, but thats the changing times where WRPGs have very little RPG, but are something more like a open world sandbox game like GTA but in FPS form.