The Big Picture: Conspiracy Weary

TornadoADV

Cobra King
Apr 10, 2009
arbane said:
TornadoADV said:
A video that amounts to a hit on the right side of the political spectrum posted on a website that leans very hard to left? Say it ain't so, Bob!
?

9/11 conspiracy nuts tend to be 'liberal', in my experience.

Which are you crying about?
Last I recall, Bob didn't touch on the 9/11 deal. Don't be stupid and try to keep up, like reading comprehension, it's good for you.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
Another great show Bob, though am I the only one who really wants to see a movie about Kindergarten Cop taking a hit out on Master Chief?

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Tin Man said:
Warachia said:
We honestly don't have a problem with your opinion bob, it's when you force your opinion on others is where the line is drawn.
So The Escapist have actually started forcing people to watch their shows? Shows where the entire point of it is that its a no-holds barred look at large scale topics through a geek lense?

Those bastards.
You obviously misunderstood me, nobody is forcing anybody to watch anything, but it's poor taste for anybody to come out and say, look people, I'm right, you're wrong, now think like me.

chopperman

Jan 17, 2010
arbane said:
chopperman said:
I love how you say all the conspiracy are bs then you say global warming is real. I lol'd
What part of physics don't you understand? The climate changing is a fact. The amount of CO2 in the atmosphere is higher now than it's been in the last 500,000 years is a fact. Feel free to argue about the correlation between those two things, but I think I'll be naive and believe the folks who study this stuff for a living over some oil company flack.

Pragmatically, most of the things we'd have to do to slow down anthropogenic global climate change are things we OUGHT to be doing anyway to fix our screwed-up industrial culture. I understand why this scares some people - what if we reduce commutes, make cities more convenient for carless folks, clean up the air, and get off of our addiction to foreign oil, and it turns out it was ALL FOR NOTHING?!?
there are as many people who believe in it as there are who don't think it exist, there isn't just a small group of people who say its all lies. Also the fact that it really doesn't matter. It exists, we spend tons of money trying to fix it and maybe we do maybe we don't. It doesn't exist we just wasted billions of dollars becoming hippies for no real good reason.

I don't care if its there or not. the fact of the matter is I don't see it killing off all of mankind in my life time and hey if I am wrong it dose thats freaking sweet I get to see the death of mankind, the fact of the matter is unless it makes the world explode the world is going to recover. sure we might not be part of it but hey looking at all the BS bob just gave I don't see that as a bad thing.

I think I'll go drive around in a hummer to speed things up

laserpants

Sep 26, 2010
This video is a "yes" and ends with a "but", or a "true" and ends with a "yet". You have to understand that not everything is a conspiracy but there are times when things do happen because it was a calculated nutshell. I do believe that Obama is someone from the terrist groups, however he does have a "boss" that he does answers to; and no it's not the people of USA.

elpresidente

Feb 10, 2008
I am still waiting for a clear video from a security camera showing the alleged Boeing 757 that hit the Pentagon. Just one such video is enough to make all 9/11 truthers shut up forever, but such video will never appear, because the object that hit the Pentagon isn't a Boeing 757. Think about it. While you think about it, you can also think about why there weren't any alarms in the Pentagon, for the entirety of 34 minutes after the second plane hit the WTC, and it was obvious there's an attack going on? I live on the other side of the planet but I was watching CNN 20 minutes after the first plane hit. And I turned on my TV by chance. How do we know there were no alarms in the Pentagon? Because people who survived say it, people like April Gallop, who was in her office and survived the explosion. Prior to 9/11 there were constant evacuation drills but on the very day when this training could've saved so many lives there wasn't an alarm. Really? Are you so gullible?
Furthermore, why do you mix everything together? I'd say 95 to 99 percent of 9/11 truthers don't believe in fake Moon landing or reptiles, yet people like you insists on associating it with them.
It is your choice to live in your tiny comfort zone, if it makes you less scared by reality, but before making videos about such serious matters you should spend more hours, even days, reading about it.

Liiizard

Feb 5, 2010
Serenegoose said:
Bleh. My biggest problem with conspiracy theories being so widespread is that it means they're actually possible (in far more mundane ways than a global shadow government yes, but still possible) because all you need to do to discredit inquiry is to look incredulously and say 'it's conspiracy nonsense' and then whoever asked the question has to look sheepish and go away forever. It's not a binary. Conspiracies do exist, not all conspiracy theories are invalid, but yes, 9/10 of them are bunk. Of course, even by saying 'conspiracies happen' people probably think I'm a kook. Which kinda proves my point.
There are actual conspiracies. Take, for instance, the roman triumvirate: popular politician Julius Caesar, powerful general Pompeius Magnus, and rich property developer Marcus Crassus got together to undermine Roman democracy. Here's the thing about it: it involved exactly 3 people, all of whom had a stake in the game, and lasted just long enough for everyone involved to start stabbing one another in the back. Any conspiracy that involves vast organizations being in on the secret and working together for long periods of time and being well-coordinated is always nonsense.

Perfect example: did Cheney hook up his Haliburton buddies with no-bid contracts? Yeah, probably. It's a conspiracy involving a few people (Cheney, Haliburton CEO, and whatever low-paid bureaucrat had to be paid off) all who stand to gain from the arrangement, and requires competence and cooperation for no longer than it takes to award the contract. Was the Iraq invasion an elaborate conspiracy involving all intelligence networks being manipulated as part of some vast shadow-government conspiracy that managed to make nobody money? No. No one has that power, and if they did they would use it in a far more competent manner.

chopperman

Jan 17, 2010
arbane said:
chopperman said:
there are as many people who believe in it as there are who don't think it exist, there isn't just a small group of people who say its all lies.
97% of climatologists say global warming is occurring and caused by humans [http://news.mongabay.com/2009/0122-climate.html]. But what do THEY know, right?

chopperman said:
Also the fact that it really doesn't matter. It exists, we spend tons of money trying to fix it and maybe we do maybe we don't. It doesn't exist we just wasted billions of dollars becoming hippies for no real good reason.

I don't care if its there or not. the fact of the matter is I don't see it killing off all of mankind in my life time and hey if I am wrong it dose thats freaking sweet I get to see the death of mankind, the fact of the matter is unless it makes the world explode the world is going to recover. sure we might not be part of it but hey looking at all the BS bob just gave I don't see that as a bad thing.

I think I'll go drive around in a hummer to speed things up
I really am impressed by some peoples' devotion to being as TRUCULENT as possible.

Not approving, just impressed.

I would try invoking future generations as a reason not to leave them with huge problems, but I suspect you're not going to reproduce anyway.
hmm lets see I've seen the hell that is this world first hand why would I want to bring a child into this world to suffer the same fate? also if you haven't looked around in awhile the world isn't exactly booming at the moment, well unless your china.

also your ability to use big words is countered by my ability to use google

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
MB202 said:
So...

...Who's Alex Jones?

Makes a lot of movies about how the New World Order will destroy the Old World. Because he's been allowed to. By the New World Order. And not silenced in any way. Which they've already done to everyone else. And only HE can SEE the TRUTH.
Uhh... Okay then.

nohorsetown

Dec 8, 2007
Everyone that I know forms conspiracies. Conspiracies for/against co-workers, customers, friends, family, authority, you name it. If I was in a position of power, I'm sure I'd still conspire with others who have similar interests. I don't see why Dick Cheney wouldn't. People work together to get what they want. I think most people would love to conspire towards some kinda NWO-agenda, if they could. Shape the world into your ideal vision? Sign me up.