The Big Picture: Conspiracy Weary

Ritter315

Jan 10, 2010
Bob, I have to say, this was by far the worst thing you've put out on the internet in a while. First of all ,you're being a huge sterotype, an escapist movie.video game lover. Now dont get me wrong, do MOST video-gamers (including myself) dabble in escapist. YES! Almost everyone on erth does at some extent. I love history, sometimes I love to create my own history to escape and right the wrongs of the history that I know, but that doesnt mean I dislike the world at all. I think people who honestly for the most part dislike the world, take for granted most of the things in the world. A few more points I want to go over and try and critic: The dentist-world anology, the world is mostly an enjoyable place. Living is one of the happiest part of life, and this may sound a bit strange but think about it: Would you be happier dead or alive? I believe in Heaven and even that doesnt make me want to find out if there actually is one any faster. Also, while its true everything tends toward choas, this doesnt mean choas dominates life on earth. Yes, shit happens. However, shit often happens for a reason, and while this doesnt make much sense from an individual perspective, puzzle-pieces often match in history (History doesnt repeat, it rhymes) As for an obvious take on religion: The idea that religion is only there and only is believed in is because it's "comforting" is simply put, stupid. Just because there's a God doesnt mean life is any better or any easier. Heaven doesnt suppress our will to live, and hell doesnt FORCE us to do good in our lives. Religion is simply a matter of a belief system, and a system of moral objectivity, regardless, higher power is almost impossible for there not to be (Most people wont admit that though) "Governed by an idiot." - most people, including you Bob, has been monsterously unfair to George Bush, in the same way people in the 1920s and 30s were unfair to Herbert Hoover, competent, and even somewhat unique that got handed a crisis that their political and academic preparation for office had not prepared them for. (The Depression, and the Iraq war respectively)And if Bush was Hoover, than Obama's FDR, meaning that he will largely not have many successes but still be remember by those who only have a superficial understanding of history as a great man (FDR didnt do almost nothing that actually improved the state of the economic during the Depression, only the mobilzation of the armed forces in WWII did that)
Global Warming is real: To such a thing REALLY makes you seem a bit arrogent Bob. Global Warming is a complicated and unresolved issue and while I wont claim to know all about it, I DO know that there's a LOT of people who say there it isnt our fault that simply dont get listened to. There's A LOT of ACTUAL scientists, geologists, and others on the other side which simply have been tuned out by most of the media and populus. Global warming has not been proven nor is it even have a logical foundation that humanity is the cause of it. The world goes in cycles, hell about 100 years ago there was a global cooling frenzy and scientists at the time actually considered melting the polar ice caps to prevent the next ice age...yeah. Maybe you're not right about everything man, sometimes you should admit that once and a while because lately all your videos have been PAINFUL to listen to.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Except if you really look into the JFK assassination, you'll notice that some things just don't seem right. There's a lot of evidence to prove Oswald's guilt, but there's an equal amount of evidence that shows that he at least hadn't planned the event alone.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Oskamunda said:
Insightful? Are you joking? I'm starting to think this opinion show should never be watched by anyone because the opinions are logically flawed while also accusing other opinions of being logically flawed.
Even if a show has flawed logic, it's a good mental exercise :)

Think about it, you just thought out a proper response to this video. That's worth something, isn't it?

The only way bad opinions can be harmful is if the people watching haven't the capability of forming their own.

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
@ Ritter ^^

You ARE aware that it's an opinion piece. Most of what you said was criticizing him for having an opinion. You criticize him for BEING a stereotype? That's just his opinion, he wasn't misrepresenting anyone by stating it. He's definitely wrong about certain things, (see his video on genetically engineered food). But you seem to make a lot of claims yourself, but haven't made arguments in favor of those claims, nor cited any sources, so are you that much better? You're claims actually seem a lot stronger than his, and somehow I don't get the impression that you're just stating your opinion, but what you think are facts.

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
zehydra said:
Oskamunda said:
Insightful? Are you joking? I'm starting to think this opinion show should never be watched by anyone because the opinions are logically flawed while also accusing other opinions of being logically flawed.
Even if a show has flawed logic, it's a good mental exercise :)

Think about it, you just thought out a proper response to this video. That's worth something, isn't it?

The only way bad opinions can be harmful is if the people watching haven't the capability of forming their own.
It's true. Feeling that something is flawed and then working out how exactly it is flawed is an excellent mental exercise. That's really the only worth of opinion pieces. After all, what's the alternative? To think someone's opinion is perfect and adopt it as your own? Meh. I don't tend to get much out of things that I agree with.

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
Drake_Dercon said:
JackSparrowSucks said:
arbane said:
GrizzlerBorno said:
Hmmm....I've never looked at conspiracy theories as Religions before, but it DOES actually make a lot of sense that argument. No wonder why fighting conspiracy theorist trolls is as tiresome as fighting preaching fanatic trolls.

Good Vid Bob.
Religion and Conspiracy Theories have the same big three draws for people:
1: The promise of Hidden Knowledge that makes you BETTER than most people,
2: A fraudulent but compelling structure that FORCES the world to make SENSE, and
3: Someone or something to BLAME everything on.

JackSparrowSucks said:
The hell?

Um, yes. I think it's fake because it's an inherently irrational idea. Gloabl Climate Change is real, yes, but so are bowel movements. I don't think it's human-caused.

I believe it's just a "warming cycle" that will end.

The only reason so many people believe in it is because they want to feel smart, in my opinion.
Ok, so what's all these climatologists, ecologists, and so on's motivation for the biggest deliberate scientific fraud since Darwin decided to fake evolution? Or are all these college types just such idiots they can't see the Obvious Facts that your omniscient Gut has bestowed upon you?
Uh, no; that'd be arrogant. You know Global Warming isn't proven, right? Seriously, look it up. My opinion is based entirely on reason and logic, since it's a sort of soft science anyone could understand.

If you want, you can PM your facts (and I am easily chacnged by facts and such) and I'll Pm you mine (It doesn't include that "half percent increase" buggery). if you find a flaw, just Pm me more facts. I'm bored. And not offensive.
Remember the medieval warming trend? it had quite the carbon dioxide spike. Indeed, almost 1/5 of that which humans have created within the past couple of centuries.

Some bits of information:
This warming isn't simply warming. It's an average increase, but it also means that temperatures vary more.
The amount of time in which the greenhouse gas levels have increased is not enough time to show significant increase. And europe is in danger of entering another ice age (something that hasn't happened in tens of thousands of years, in a significant warming trend). It will be several centuries before the carbon dioxide levels return to normal.
The northwest passage, in this time, has become almost entirely open during the summer. Things don't happen this fast (indeed, proven) unless a significant environmental shock has occurred, say, a carbon dioxide spike virtually unheard of in the planet's history.
We are putting things in the atmosphere that haven't been there in millennia.

I don't have references at the moment (as it would take a while to get them), but if you want some they can be retrieved fairly quickly.

I also have a simple experiment based on reason and logic that can be attempted fairly easily.

Deductive reasoning: if minute levels of carbon dioxide can increase heat this much on a small scale, how is the earth affected on a large scale.

But that was really off-topic.

Really enjoyed the video. Another good one, Bob.

EDIT: just looking back... that was one hell of a lot longer than intended. Sorry.
Not to be a pedant, but that's technically inductive reasoning.

To anyone who criticizes a scientific theory for not being proven... gravity isn't proven. In fact, there isn't a single thing in science that is proven. That's why they're called theories. However, for something to even become a theory it has to tested rather extensively, so it's not so easily dismissed.

Devil's advocate: We don't understand the weather system all that well, it's VERY complicated.

Counterpoint: it is more or less a non-debatable fact that we are throwing C02 and other greenhouse gasses into the air. However, our prediction about the affects of this are more based upon an understanding of chemistry than meteorology or climatology. (Kind of like your experiment.)

But it is another straightforward and almost non-debatable fact that we are MASSIVELY loosing biodiversity, which is bad for several reasons.

I haven't heard of anything really proving either side definitively, however, we are not helping matters. It's not just C02 remember, there's also a lot of artificial greenhouse gasses that we produce, which couldn't possibly be part of the earth's natural cycle.

Since you're both so big on rational argumentation, here's an argument from prudential ethics:

Which is worse,

the greatest possible evil associated with global warming (possible destruction of much of society, even the death of the planet if the oxygen-producing plankton get wiped out),

or

the greatest possible evil associated with us being wrong (industry takes a hit and the economy suffers, possibly leading to a great depression)?

goldenheart323

Oct 9, 2009
wasalp said:
Cursed Frogurt said:
Global warming is real. Whether or not we are significantly affecting it is the debate.

Conspiracy theories are stupid. Personal agendas should always be considered.
really? Its pretty obvious. I think its 97% of scientists believe global warming is caused by humans, the other 3% are less educated and qualified then their brethren.
Oh really? 97% & the remaining 3% are the dumb ones? How do you know those 3% aren't the smartest ones?
Could you please explain why THIRTY THOUSAND scientists have signed up to debunk man-made global warming, NINE THOUSAND of whom have PhD's?

If man made Global Warming/Climate Change is believed to be real, then governments everywhere have another excuse to impose more taxes on its citizens and make more regulations on energy use, all in the name of saving the planet. Anyone against the new tax or regulation would be painted as being against saving the planet. Oh, and they'd be labeled a kook for not believing it's all man's fault. Any scientist speaking out against it is automatically labeled a shill for Big Oil and ignored.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Tin Man said:
Warachia said:
Tin Man said:
Warachia said:
We honestly don't have a problem with your opinion bob, it's when you force your opinion on others is where the line is drawn.
So The Escapist have actually started forcing people to watch their shows? Shows where the entire point of it is that its a no-holds barred look at large scale topics through a geek lense?

Those bastards.
You obviously misunderstood me, nobody is forcing anybody to watch anything, but it's poor taste for anybody to come out and say, look people, I'm right, you're wrong, now think like me.
Its a good thing I find irony delicious.

In all fairness dude, if you don't like that kind of thing, don't watch the show. The whole, heavily opinionated, well spoken geek thing is hardly a new angle of Escapist shows. Some of us are comfortable enough in our own opinions to not get bothered by other peoples, and find them quite entertaining, if not thought provoking.

If you don't, then that's cool, but don't sit there being hypocritical and speaking for other people while you're at it.

Much love.
I also love when others make my argument, if you don't like my comment, don't reply, there is nothing forcing you to do so, and like I said earlier, I don't mind learning the opinions of others, it is thought provoking, and entertaining, which is the sole reason I watch this show, I also thought some people appreciate feedback on what people thought of their most recent show, but you have shown me that an honest comment is to be treated harshly.

Also, I fail to see any irony in my post.

Hatchet90

Nov 15, 2009
Geez, lay off Fox News. What, Democrats need every single news outlet?

And while yes, Global Warming is real, we are not the major cause of it. The Earth goes through changes. Do people actually think our meaningless existence is going to kill the Earth after thousands of years of ice ages and natural disasters?

Hatchet90

Nov 15, 2009
arbane said:
Hatchet90 said:
Geez, lay off Fox News. What, Democrats need every single news outlet?
So, you're going with the Liberal Biased Media conspiracy theory?

Kindly explain how Bush was ever taken seriously as a Presidential candidate, please. Or why his explanations for Why We Need To Invade Iraq RIGHTNOWNOWNOW weren't torn to bits by a mocking and skeptical Liberal Biased Media.
Sounds like someone needs a hug.

In order:

Bush lost the popular vote

The war was mocked

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
well put bob critical sense is the most important tool we have, however its important to not dismiss everything even if you have put alot of thought into it. like the cause of the current financial situation seems to testify humans are greedy, very greedy or how about companies like enron exploit situations like the california blackouts. while it is important to be able to dismiss illogical ideas, its equally important not to expect the best quality's within humanity. everyone is a douche until proven otherwise....im not a big fan of reality either

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
As usual late to the party. To get off the topic of conspiracy for two minutes. I found what Bob was saying before the conspiracy theory part more interesting. Basically because it is the conclusion about reality that I buy into, and have for a while. And it sparked in me this question. If the Universe is completely random and bad stuff happens to good people and nothing to bad people. I.E bad people don't get punished. Why be good?

Back on topic. Thanks for this vid Bob as my bro is always being convinced by these theories and I also always argue the same points you just made. Our leaders are not evil just idiots. Since my bro respects you, maybe you will have better luck convincing him.....

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I still don't believe global warming, well, in the sense that they say. There is global warming 6 months out of the year and the other 6 is global cooling. I have many reasons for why it is stupid, but ehh, not the point right now... awesome video too.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
shogunblade said:
But, he also watches Glenn Beck, which means he can only have truths to some truths, which means most things can't be true and the rantings of some loudmouth on the world's most powerful network has too....
Fox News is far from the world's most powerful network.

That belongs to Disney Channel.

BOW BEFORE HANNAH MONTANA!