The Big Picture: Continanity

snowman6251

Nov 9, 2009
I have a friend who is really into comics. The peak of my comic reading career involved a bit of spider man. He tries to explain all this shit to me and I just don't get it. Comics are way too confusing because of all this continuity stuff.

thereverend7

Aug 13, 2010
Anything DC publishes with the word "Crisis" in it, stay far, far away from unless you have several hours of reading time and a LOT of superhero knowledge. Most confusing things i've ever read.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
I have only three words:

Bat pirate. AWESOME.
Exactly what I was going to say.

Batman the Cavemen. Batman the Pirate. Holy shit!

XShrike

Sep 11, 2007
I hate that some seem to insist that everything has to be in the same universe. You have to read so much other stuff to figure out what is happening.

It also results in some really be inconsistency in quality. This is what really gets me about how comics are made today. I hate it when you follow a story and grow to like the characters only for the writer to change. This new writer has different ideas about how these characters should be. I then lose one of the reasons I am reading a series.

If they want different writers to use the same characters I wish each writer would essentially get their own universe. None of the other writers could touch the other writer's settings. All of this is one of the reasons I also read manga. One writer/artist for the entire work.

Is it just me or was Bob hating on Power Girl? Who hates Power Girl? Even Tim Gunn likes Power Girl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fQwU7uUPcU#t=6m00s

Ewyx

Dec 3, 2008
And that's why I prefer single story graphic novels compared to super-hero type things. The only two things I'm contemplating on reading are hellboy and "The Punisher" (from the MAX imprint, which one I hope is separated from everything else)

JasonBurnout16

Oct 12, 2009
I enjoy when Bob tells us about Superhero comics more than anything else.

It's just like a massive story rolled into 5 minutes of fun-tertainment. :D

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
This is why I never got into comics. No other nerd fandom takes that much work to get started, except for maybe tabletop miniatures.

Ben Simon

Aug 23, 2010
A little help, please.
I have asked everyone I know who has read "Countdown to Final Crisis" (two people) why it sucked, and they never give me a straight answer. If someone can explain why, I'm all ears.

Kelethor

Jun 24, 2008
This is why I still watch the Justice league.

Its still a hellof a lot easier to follow then comics.

James Robertson

Dec 21, 2010
I guess I'm the only one that remembers Zero Hour, where Hal Jordan became Parallax and used his God-like powers to destroy all of space and time so that Coast City wouldn't have been destroyed?

Scyla

Jul 26, 2010
That was quite interesting because i've never got into "american" comics (can I call them like that I don't know *shrug*).
I'm looking forward to some more of this stuff, perhapes something about the marvel universe? :)

And I just watched the TGO: Episode 29 again which is a good addition to this one.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
littlerudi08107 said:
Power Girl is a feminist!? Are you kidding me? Her tits are her super hero logo!
She's oldschool "liberation"-era feminist, i.e. "I should be able to dress like this and have it be no big deal, and if you look at 'em the wrong way I'll put you in traction." ;)

Believe it or not, her cleavage "logo" at one point had a feminist origin: Earth-2 Supergirl decided that wearing a girl version of her cousin's outfit was sexist and wanted a new look/identity. When Superman presented her with her new "grownup" costume, she got pissed because he'd still stuck "his" symbol on the chest; so she burned it off with heat-vision and just left the empty spot to make a point. I'm not sure where that was originally published, or if its still canon, but apparently that's why she looks "like that."

So goes the legend, her breasts are so big because a certain DC artist decided to keep making them slightly bigger each month to see how long it'd take for the editors to notice. By the time they did, they'd become her "trademark."

Frankfurter4444

Aug 11, 2009
As a casual comic book fan, I prefer the one-shot stuff a lot more. I'm not sure what version of Earth Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale's Batman: The Long Halloween took place in, but that one encapsulated story of the origin of Two Face was better than any other attempt to explain that character (or most of the Batman cast for that matter) and it was unrelated to anything else that happened.

Sure, I guess you want something to keep people coming back each month, but people like me who pick up an issue of Batman one week and read that Bruce Wayne is dead will usually immediately put it back on the shelf.