The Big Picture: Do the Mario! (Again)

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
That was interesting. Not something I'd ever want to watch (the anime that is, since anime is bad) but the analysis was neat.

And I need to point out, there exist a few (maybe four or five of us) people out there who actually enjoyed the '90s live-action Mario Brothers movie. Dennis Hopper, Fischer Stevens and that guy who worked at the parking garage in Ferris Bueller's Day Off as off-beat bad guys and the Divinyls doing a cover of Roxy Music's classic 'Love is the Drug' all in weird 90s fashion is pretty neat if you're into that scene.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
I really want to find this. I would kill so many people to watch this.

Actually, as I looked at it, it reminded me of the Felix The Cat Movie [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felix_the_Cat:_The_Movie] that was made in the 80s, both visually as well as in a WTF sort of sense.

I still stand by my guns, but I definitely want to see this.

P.S. - It's the stuff of legend that Miyamoto said [http://www.next-gen.biz/features/miyamoto-the-interview?page=0,0] that the problem with the Mario Brothers Movie was that it was too much like the video games. When you compare the Mario games to the Bob Hoskins/Dennis Hopper live action movie, that sounds incredibly weird. But when you think about it, once you look at this movie and compare it to Miyamoto's ideas on the Mario Brothers movie, doesn't it seem a little bit more...appropriate?

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
About onpar with the Sonic anime...but that got an english translation...And ...my ears they bleed.

Shadow-Fox

Nov 11, 2009
"They don't even get any cake!"

No wonder! the cake is a lie!

muhahahahah sorry I just couldn't resist

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Considering how early this anime is I am surprised to see how similar Bowser looked to how he is now.

Blue2

Mar 19, 2010
MacNille said:
Is't just me, Or does This Luigi looks like Wario?

Well Bob did say the Luigi from the movie was greedy also and who is most greedy of the Nintendo universe we all know today, It's Wario.

Anchupom

In it for the Pub Club cookies
Apr 15, 2009
Does anyone else think the annoying blue dog thing/prince of the flower kingdom look a bit like Wiggler...?

Also,
HankMan said:
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I HAVE to use this more often.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
MacNille said:

First thought that came to my mind.

Second thought: What the $%@# were they smoking?

I mean, yeah, the entire Mario series could technically be written off as a bad LSD trip, but this drives it up to 12.

KushinLos

Jun 28, 2008
Found it twice. The last time it was subtitled and bundled with three other stories where Mario characters take the roles of a number of Japanese story tales.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
Super Blue Balls indeed. That is the saddest ending ever,just from the sheer middle fingerness of it. "Well done Mario! You saved the Princess,now she can live happily ever after with Blue the transforming prince dog. Have a nice day."

ShenCS

Aug 24, 2010
Gotta love the confusion over respecting a previous relationship commitment.
"wtf y ddnt mario bang dat, hoo dis new kid"
It's actually a nice lesson, you don't always get what you want by doing the right thing, but do it anyway because it makes the world a better place.

Mythrignoc

Oct 17, 2009
I gotta say, while I love all of movie-bob's stuff in terms of the reviews on Fridays and the generic subjects for the Big Picture, that whole "XXXX Are weird" with the slow motion voice he does is really really annoying.

Otherwise, good stuff.

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
i actually like this take on the mario universe and i wish some of the aspects of this film were take into the future games like the female Toad and the princess having a guy already. it would be nice to know there are other kingdoms besides the mushroom kingdom.

Blue2

Mar 19, 2010
MacNille said:

Well Bob did say the Luigi from the movie was greedy also and who is most greedy of the Nintendo universe we all know today, It's Wario.

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
Movie Bob, Movie Bob, Movie Bob...now you can't go mentioning "THAT" movie without going into details about it that give Mario fans like us reasons on why we remember that movie so....passionately.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Well that was kind of a sad ending. Poor Mario.
I doubt I'd have the will to watch this, even if it was OK. Not a big fan of Mario here.