The Big Picture: Fair Game

Contradiction

May 20, 2009
Pugiron said:
This from someone that could not tolerate people liking the Expendables because that meant they were responsible for the failure of Scott Pilgrim.
Scott Pilgrim never failed it just won incognito. Who cares if it bombed financially Scott Pilgrim as an IP has spawned nothing but glory despite mainstream appreciation. =] (fanboy? me! never...)

head desk tricycle

Aug 14, 2010
What Bob is doing here is called a "plea for sanity." In other words, he's hoping for this reaction:

"Well, Mr. Chairman... it's just that most of the members in Staffordshire feel... the whole thing's a bit silly."
"(gasp) SILLY!?! I suppose it is, a bit... what have we been doing, wasting our lives with all this nonsense? Right, OK, meeting adjourned forever."

whothefisthat

Nov 26, 2010
Good episode Bob, but this issue isn't just on the internet and in nerd culture. Its prevlant throught our society. Havn't you ever heard someone say "Don't talk about religion or polotics because you might offend someone". This is by far the most ignorant statement ever made. It's essentially saying that you cant share your opinion or viewpoint about the essance of the human experience; thus stifling educated and thoughtful discussion, just becasue some people cant accept the fact they might be wrong or that there is more than one point of view.

"Many of the truths we cling to depend on a certain point of view" - Obi-wan Kanobi

JordanMillward_1

May 19, 2009
Flying Dagger said:
The BBC do the whole fairness thing. And it's so much better than having to suffer fox news.
To be fair, the BBC fairness thing comes from having to show all sides of a debate objectively and without bias, and then allowing the viewer to come to their own decisions.

This seems different, and a hell of a lot better, than the US "fairness doctrine".

Damn... can you imagine if Fox had to follow the same rules as the BBC? No wonder they decided to drop their application to be allowed to start up a TV channel in the UK after being told they'd have to follow those exact same rules if they wanted to have any sort of news, political shows, etc on their prospective channel.

jack583

Oct 26, 2010
i'm a big picture fan boy and i'm proud of it!

Garfy said:
Oh, so true Bob, so true.

If I'm a big picture fanboy then what's the opposite?
quite a few possibillities...
most likely someone who tries to please everyone and will change his or her belliefs whenever that person's opinions are challenged.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
HAHAHAHAHAHA! thats so true that i dont even know how to say how much i agree with it.
from now on if someone tries to pull the "fanboy" sledgehammer on me, i will link this video.

oh, and by the way... PC gaming is too hard for the common man/woman to do! (Thanks Bob!)

DarthFennec

May 27, 2010
Yeah, I'm a biased moviebob fanboy. I've known that for a while now, honestly.

I think I agree with you, although I've barely noticed this kind of thing anywhere, except it's everywhere in the console wars. But on the other hand, some of it is actually justifiable. I've heard people on Youtube literally call the PS3 the second coming of Christ. Those are the kinds of people I'm comfortable calling fanboys, because ... well ... they are, aren't they? But on the other hand, I do hear a lot of `I like the PS3' `YOU MUST BE A FANBOY!!!! OMGBBQSHUNSHUNSHUN!!!!!1111111111!!!' and that kind of thing gets annoying. People give me all kinds of hate because I'd rather play a Wii than an Xbox, I almost have to change my status to fanboy because it's not worth all the shit I get if I don't. If any of that made sense, sorry, I'm really tired right now lol

rddj623

"Breathe Deep, Seek Peace"
Sep 28, 2009
"I'm a biased Big Picture Fan-Boy" would look good on a shirt.

OT: I couldn't agree with you more. Having civil debate is something I cherish. I blog with a community of people with whom I have vastly and sometimes diametrically opposing views. However we are always able to represent ourselves and listen to each other with respect. It's a breath of fresh air. Thanks for bringing this to peoples attention. I feel like so many people (especially of a younger generation than ours) just accept neutered duality as reality. There is nothing wrong with having an opinion, or sharing that opinion. Sharing should be done with respect and should influence the way you listen to others opinions as well. We are all free to disagree respectfully! That's why I find it so funny when people hate on you for you opinions on movies. They're just that, your informed opinion. People are still free to like whatever films they want to like. You have no sway over telling them they can't like something. Are people today so insecure about having an opinion that if someone says something bad about something they like that they take it personally? Goodness. Ranting done, thanks again Bob for a great video.

Heejo

Nov 1, 2010
I think this video fails on a couple of issues.

#1: the metaphor of the fairness doctrine as it applies to a news program and an opinion based medium such as this show in a best case scenario is a stretch. It comes across as forced. The whole point of something like the fairness doctrine was so that news had to express the facts about the story. If it's not in place, as it is nowadays, a producer of a cable news show can say whatever it wants and disregard whatever it wants to try and sway an audience. Rather than get the facts of a story the audience receives an opinion when they should here concrete facts. An opinion show or piece, like the Big Picture, is supposed to show the opinion of the creator/s. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. If someone disagrees then they simply disagree. Neither side of the equation doesn't have to listen to the other. Applying the fairness doctrine does not make logical sense to an opinion show.

#2: "I like preteen girls, especially since they like to dress like they want it." Now if I actually believed what I just wrote, WHICH I DON'T, that would be an opinion. As an opinion it would be subject to all of the ignorant defense entitled to one. You could say that someone with this opinion, and there are people with this sick opinion, has every right to say something like that. Who am I on my moral high horse to disagree with this person. He has freedom of speech and expression doesn't he? The point I'm trying to make is that believing every opinion is equally true and viable is incorrect. It is down right ignorant. Granted this is a insane example, and I doubt anyone on this site holds this crazy idea in their head, but it goes to show you not everyone is right all the time at the same time. Opinions mean nothing if you don't believe them to be true. Why say anything at all? For example if I happen to like a certain console over another and think it is better than all challengers, then I truly believe and attest to that perceived fact. Now it would be nice to back up said statement with evidence to the claim but whatever. If you fail to back up anything you say you're blowing smoke out of your ass. That makes me or whoever said whatever wrong on principle.

Now I said all that to say this. It's okay to have an opinion. It's okay to like something over something else. If what you believe can't be quantified and proven it doesn't change the fact that you like something. The same goes for disliking something. It doesn't make you right. It doesn't necessarily make you wrong either. Bob it's plain to see that you like and dislike certain things. Who doesn't? Why do you care if someone disagrees with you? So they call you a fanboy. The truth is YOU ARE. You have well documented evidence that proves what I just wrote. Just look at some of the videos you've made for this site and others. Now I say this because it seems this video was made as a general response to naysayers and flamers the world over. More importantly this video was made to quell the hate aimed at you for whatever reason. My question to you is why do you care? Embrace the fanboy. I know I do. I'm proud of what I believe, and you shouldn't be ashamed of what you like either. If you go on making pointless videos like this you are no better than your detractors. If you didn't want people to have differing opinions from your own then why did you make videos in the first place besides the fact that it is your job? You can't please everyone, everyone is different, and win one for the Gipper.

TomLikesGuitar

Jul 6, 2010
Sorry to say it, but Bob is flat out wrong here.

A fanboy is an insult for someone who is past being merely an aficionado, and is so deeply connected to a brand/sports team/band/etc.. that they will not even consider the merit of other available options.

Normally the term is not applied in the way described in the video. I could go on dozens of forums right now and say that I liked Killzone 2; as long as it was applicable to the conversation at hand, I would most likely not be called a fanboy.

No, normally the fanboy conversation looks like this.

Fanboy said:
It is absolutely 100% clear that (X) is better. (Y) is stupid and anyone who likes it is too.
Normal Person said:
No you're just a fanboy.
Also, geek culture isn't obsessed with fairness; we're just smart. We're used to being critical thinkers and considering all the options at hand before we draw conclusions.

And when people don't do that, they get called fanboys...

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
I mentioned in the comments on youtube that the 3DS should have a lower priced none 3D version I got chewed out by someone who seemed to "know" I was wrong and seemed intent on informing me. he/she claimed 3D was new and inovative urgh its not new its been around in one form or another for decades.

the none 3D version wouldnt be for him/her it would be for me or those like me ... I dont even like the the DSI only got one as a gift and have no plans to get the 3DS I was just saying 3D is a gimmick and an old one at that.

sgtwisky

Apr 3, 2010
CURSE YOU BOB!!! HATING ON VANILLA ICE CREAM!!!

OT:
I have seen this too much on the net. gets annoying after awhile... I have even seen people using facts as evidence to support their "opinion" and being called a fan-boy simply because they show the bad as well as the good points of their game/move/whatever.

oh well... just the general idiocy of the interweb tribes. What ever happened to the days when most of the net was populated by intelligent people and geeks?

Diver Down

Aug 21, 2010
What I think is funny is that almost everyone who has commented this has probably called someone a fanboy before. Or trolled. I can admit, I've done both. This video felt weird, it was like learning of an idea I already knew, but forgot. Who knew open-mindedness could be a solution for anything?

Nick Angelici

Feb 14, 2010
Pugiron said:
This from someone that could not tolerate people liking the Expendables because that meant they were responsible for the failure of Scott Pilgrim.
While I agree with his dislike of Expendables, Scott Pilgrim didnt "fail" because of the movie, it failed because people are too afraid t try something new in the entertainment media these days, and most people will pick something they know well over something new.

lets go back to the mid 1990's, Mario RPG and Earthbound, both SNES games, both pure Nintendo, both fun to different people.

Even if Earthbound had recieved the respect it deserves and got good ads and was as "hyped up" as Mario RPG was, it still would be where it is today. being released at the same date, players had a choice, a BRAND NEW MARIO GAME! or a wierd RPG with some random kid with a scratch and sniff box and not like any rpg before it.

Earthbound is by far way better than mario, but it failed in sales because people were afraid to spend money on it and have it be a bad game, when they KNOW they could play a Mario game and have fun.

as a side note I will always hate Nintendo of America for what they did to Earthbound/Mother 2 though, and because of it, we dont get to experience any other Mother games, Fuck you NoA.

knight56

Aug 12, 2009
Oh god. Brave New World is already here...............
......................then why isn't everybody getting laid?