The Big Picture: Fair Game

AwkwardTodd

Dec 26, 2010
I definitely agree that too much "fair play" can be a tedious and discussion stopping issue. Places like Screwattack, Escapist, and Gametrailers do the best job of dealing with it issue from my experience. Aside from just ignoring it (the Zero Punctuation approach or the best approach) they simply address it and give their reasoning for stating what they stated.
I think the biggest problem is aggressive antagonistic fanboys take a person's preference and lack of knowledge for destructive rhetoric. If someone ignores a preconceived competitor in a discussion, simply assume they person speaking didn't have time and/or doesn't prefer that specific game. Not every rhetorical voice on the internet has play/seen/read/listened to everything.
If you must strike up a conversation on why that is. Simple! :>

Charisma

Oct 28, 2008
am i the only one who isn't actually sure what bob was trying to say here?

is it just that having to walk on eggshells in fear of being called a fanboy or a meaniepants is bad in the long run? cause that's a pretty self-evident truth.

anyway keep up the good work bob, i'm a BIG fanboy.

Shadowflame66

Ex-SOLDIER
Feb 13, 2010
I will gladly be a Big Picture fanboy!

Awesome points, Bob. I can only hope you'll have some effect on the internet as a whole.

SFR

Mar 26, 2009
Every once in a while you find a true fanboy (one that will make fun of everything they dislike and defend the lowest, shittiest aspect of what they like), but most of time it's like what Bob says here. For example, I really like Halo. I am not a Halo fanboy. Someone now wants to comment and tell me that I actually am a Halo fanboy. What the fuck is that shit?

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
Lawl...

It's funny because it's only kind of accurate.

More so, your only labeled as a fanboy if you praise 1 thing while scorning everything else, not only giving an opinion on one side.

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
See I must have a different definition of a fanboy, I always thought of it as being those that obsess over a subject or brand to the exclusion of common sense and refusal to see the bad inherent in it.

Kind of like Bob and his opinion of Scott Pilgrim, which is I feel a weak tired story with flashy lights and zero plot of any substantial worth. It's ok for him to call those that watched the Expendables the worst kind of people in the world but not ok to call him out on it?

Tempest13

Aug 23, 2010
You damned Vanilla Ice Cream Hater!!! lol j/k, this view is very true, as I've become adjusted to this timidity from overexposure on GFAQs. Let us all strive to surpass this current trend. And yes, I'm a Big Picture Fanboy

dmcc85

Feb 18, 2010
how can i be a BP FB if i do not really understand of what he is talking about?
i like the show.
so what?
what does that make me?

Cadapalo

Jun 8, 2010
I tend to be fair because that who I am in real life because when I look at something/someone with disregard I tend to look at myself first. Though I will admit I was a Nintendo fanboy for quite some time. Eventually that changed once I got into PC gaming,Playstation, and Xbox and found games I liked for all these systems.

Also I'm still waiting for my PS3 blu ray/BBQ console system.

Twinmill5000

Nov 12, 2009
I'm a PC fanboy :D

My opinions on, say, Mario, are invalid because I'm obviously biased in what I like, which sure as hell isn't Mario, so I'm bound to say a bunch of wrong things about it.

Sir Prize

Dec 29, 2009
A good point there.
I think the idea that everything must be treated equally is a little pointless. No-one is completely free of basie and everyone has an opinion, therefore people shouldn't believe others will see their side of any given discussion. It's differing opinions that make the world such a...wonderful place.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Nice Ep, I think this is best shown in the whole Star Wars vs Star Trek nerd battle.

Kadoodle

Nov 2, 2010
I dunno, I think Bob is a bit off this time around. I generally havn't seen people getting called fanboys unless they post un-constructive criticism of something. For example, someone who simply goes ranting things like "XBOX SUCKS, XBOX F@G!!! YOU THINK YOU"RE BETTER THAN ME CUS YOU BUY CHEAP GARBAGE GET A REAL CONSOLE!!!!1!1", then they will surely will be called fanboys (if not assholes), and they will truly deserve the title.

However, if someone says something along the lines of: "I personally prefer the PS3 due to the less obnoxious online community and free multiplayer; combined with the excellent assortment of console exclusives. I find that the XBOX 360 has only 2 truly amazing exclusives, and they are Halo and Mass effect 2; the latter soon coming to ps3.", then they aren't going to be called fanboys.

Koshok

Jan 22, 2011
Thank you, MovieBob, for discussing this.

I personally never play anything on any system other than PC. I would also hate to be called a "PC fanboy" or "PC elitist" or anything along those lines. The reason I don't play any other systems is because I don't have a TV. It most certainly is not because I dislike any console, and I would never make a generalization of the fan base of any one console, as is an implication of being called a fanboy.

awatkins

Oct 17, 2008
MovieBob said:
Fair Game

This week, Bob weighs the pros and cons of playing fair.

Watch Video
I really liked the topic, however, I am saddened that your 'The Big Picture'
segments aren't longer. I hunger for more. And I doubt that I'm the only one
who could literally listen to you all day. When the crew @ Extra Credits mentioned
that you had a YouTube persona - The Gameover Thinker- I watched them all that night.
With popcorn and vodka and all that happy stuff, it was like a double feature at the
drive in.
What I'm saying is: Is there any way you could produce longer episode, perhaps in the same manner as you do with the Gameover Thinker??

You rock, keep it up

-Definitely a Movie Bob fanboy
Awatkins

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
I really want to watch all of the superhero movies coming out.
There are some people who really are fanboys but I agree that it is overused. I admit to being a Yahtzee and Bob fanboy and I'm bloody proud of it.