The Big Picture: Future Assembly

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Pegghead said:
As someone who literally just got in the door from seeing The Avengers (it was released in Australia early, but this post will be spoiler-free) I can say that Marvel really do deserve a pat on the back for pulling all this off so beautifully, and it's something I'd love to see in other films.
I know right how good was it? (Some situation as you, just got back like 30min ago)

Bucht

Apr 22, 2010
I'm going to see The Avengers in about 3 hours, I haven't been this excited for a movie since.. well since ever!
The downside is, it can never be as good as I'm hoping it to be.

TehChuckles

Jan 12, 2011
First off I'm from Australia... just saw it. absolutely epic... and as per usual with marvel... stay till the end of creditz! and OT of film continuity. the continuity concept in movies will be a hell lot harder to maintain from ageing actors and what not. just because Thor won't suffer from ageing doesn't mean Chris Hemsworth won't. Just to say best continuity concept for a single character in a filmed production... let's say it contains "Regeneration".

lanifiel

Feb 11, 2009
Also just got back from seeing it, our comic book store took 400 fans to a screening. Suffice to say this movie is EVERYTHING a comic book geek like myself wants and needs in a film. From start to finish, brilliant and funny. So very funny...

Landrius

Feb 14, 2011
SpiderJerusalem said:
Ah, but there's the thing. Is Justin Bieber skilled in music? Sure, he performs songs written by others, composed by more talented people and in general is a product that is sold. So, in theory, he doesn't fit either qualification.

Just like Bob. The Justin Bieber of his kind.
Perhaps I should leave it lie, but I have to say the phraseology of your posts in this thread seem excessively venomous and would be difficult for me to pass by regardless of who it was directed at.

The Justin Bieber analogy does not seem to apply to this case, as your original claim was that Bob is not a critic (even if you stated it in a rather... unnecessary, spiteful manner that suggests certain emotions on the topic of Bob that I am as yet not privy to) and that Justin Bieber is not a musician because he isn't skilled at music and that is a part of the definition.

The definition of a critic, on the other hand, is different from that of a musician. In short, from dictionary.com it is "a person who judges, evaluates, or criticizes". You could claim he isn't a GOOD critic, but it's hard to make the case that he ISN'T one. Then we get into what makes a good critic versus a bad one, but that's a different subject.

Venom and spite aren't needed to get your point across. It's entirely possible to say "I don't think Bob's a good critic and here's why I don't agree with him this time:" instead of using sarcasm and veiled insults. In fact, as soon as I see someone use insult-tactics I don't WANT to believe them. I don't WANT to side with them no matter how good their points are. I have to fight just to remember that despite the venom and destructive criticism they might have a good argument.

Anyway, I know that saying all this may not accomplish anything, but I wanted to put it out there.

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
zombie711 said:
I get to see the Avengers on Friday.
Same here, taking the missus who has only seen Captain America (but enjoyed it) so am going to be explaining everything to her on the way to the cinema. There's also gonna be a new Dark Knight Rises trailer before The Avengers, so I may just nerd all over the floor.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Not sure if like...<.<

I mean the prospect of cross overs and such is enticing... but I'm afraid it may bring up the same problems present in comics... you know that the continuity will become as twisted and impenetrable as a granite octopus... as well as destroy the idea of new IP's in movies... like you said why just make another ten commandments movie when you can stick it on the end of Indiana Jones? I mean there's already a problem with that already... and chances are it'll be used less as light fan service and more to boost the profit of other movies in a series...<.<

Kinokohatake

Jul 11, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
So basically, this will only be a good thing if it sticks to genre films and superhero movies, but the minute that it touches something like The Expendables, Bob will hate it.

Of course. After all, you can't go through a video without him attacking the evil jocks, now can you?
Jocks no. A crap movie? Yes.

I thought they were going to do that starting with Green Lantern. They had the DC version of Nick Fury (can't remember her name) but GL was garbage so I don't know.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Man, a Justice League movie would be...Orgasmic, and if you wanted to make it dark, go with the blackest night story arc

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Figures it would take comic book movies to teach Hollywood that continuity can be a draw

And as for the Ark tie-in Bob: This is the internet, you're NEVER the only one.
Although, on that same subject, the fundie christians would FLIP. And it would be hilarious, trolling on a massive scale.

I just thought troll hunter. I don't know how, and I don't know which movie, but hans would have to re-appear at some point. Maybe he gets to spain, only to find out about a quarantined block of apartments, a la rec? Maybe he could turn up in a "night watch" film? Hell, him popping up in doctor who would be silly, but also kinda awesome.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Can't wait to see how many videos he makes nitpicking and bitching that the Avengers didn't flawlessly follow pre-existing comic cannon.

I also like the always present hypocrisy that having crossover continuity for comic book movies is fine, but having crossover continuity for any other kind of action movie is not. Though, I'm sure if The Expendables 2 was about "real" military people instead of mercenaries, he'd be drooling all over it.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Hey Bob, guess what!

I saw The Avengers today (because it was released today in Australia). I don't think you need me to tell you that it's fucking awesome but I am going to say it anyway.

The Avengers is FUCKING AWESOME!

Easily THE best Marvel superhero movie I have seen. I also thought you over-hyped the hell out of Captain America but I don't think it would be possible to over-hype this movie. Can't wait to see you try though :p

Joss Whedon needs to make more movies...the comedy scenes in this movie are icing to the cake made of pure awesome (and are completely Whedon-like if you have seen anything else he has done *cough* Firefly *cough*)

Crazy-Insomniac

Oct 17, 2010
I just came back from the move theatre. Ha haa! It's good to be a Kiwi. Not to mention not having to wait months after release for a US film to come out here, like it used to be. Avengers was awesome! It's definitely has the Joss Whedon vibe. I'll leave it at that. :)

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
I hate the idea of this kind of continuity. Not really interested in seeing different movies blending together, suddenly you have to watch all kinds of different things just to enjoy the movie you really wanted to see. I would also argue that the whole avengers setup was the main reason Iron Man 2 ended as a bit of a drawn out mess.

Guess you have to appreaciate superhero comics to appreciate this sort of thing. But then again, continuity is one of the main reasons i don´t really read SuperHero comics. Prefer spending my time reading graphic novels.

bernardblack

Apr 24, 2012
I think continuity is awesome. I enjoy series in general, and I absolutely loved watching all the Marvel movies, picking out characters and things from the other movies. I find it a lot of fun, and the Avengers is probably the moving I am anticipating the most. Still have to wait another week and a half to see it though, boo.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
MB202 said:
I wonder if there ever WILL be a Hulk 2 movie... I mean, apparently, Thor and Captain America are getting a sequel, and Iron Man 3's on it's way, but not the Hulk? Well, it wasn't the BIGGEST box office success, but who knows, maybe The Avengers will change THAT as well...
Considering they tried two Hulk movies so close together I don't doubt we'll see a sequel if the Avengers does well.
I didn't think so...