The Big Picture: Groan Saga

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
wammnebu said:
Kudos to Sach, they really should, I now hate rift more than that damn SlimJim

cool review, and i still think Norman is a great character, and you cant pick on him for being Retconnd. Their commics Jean Grey has died and ressurected more times that Christ
<--See prof pic
So, twice then?

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
summerof2010 said:
Ok... then where does Mephisto come in?
Originally Marvel was going to have Mephisto be behind the whole clone deal, but they claimed it would be a massive copout and scrapped the idea. Now with Joe Quesada's fanfiction of One More Day, hindsight's a *****, eh? The only way they're going to fix that damage is if they retcon the thing (with possible involvement from Deadpool since he's the ONLY one in the Marvel universe who's aware of the whole thing)

AbyssalSanhedrin

May 8, 2010
Off topic but am I the only one here disappointed, based purely on reading the episode title, that this turned out not to be about Mervyn Peake's Gormanghast trilogy?

Nathan Mintzer

Mar 11, 2010
I don't know much about official comic story arcs or soap operas, but each continuity episode makes these plots look like General Hospital.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Ah the art of mixing business and story telling. Screw making a consistent and decent story, we need to sell crap!

But, what are you going to do?

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
I was into spiderman when i was a kid back in the 70s you know the dark and edgy years, norman osborne taking LSD and becoming the green goblin, which lost them the "comic code" seal i seem to recall. the death of gwen stacy, i still have that issue somewhere and it was really one of the most powerful and "adult" comics i read as a kid.

Then i dunno if i just outgrew it or the run just started to suck but i got out of spiderman in the 80s, maybe picked up a few specials in the 90s and was vaguely aware of the clone saga but never was much interested in it or read the books.

90s was about image and the maxx, gen 13, team 7, wetworks, spawn, course many of those titles quickly lost steam as the creaters got too big and decided to go off and do other stuff and let people make their books by commitee, i mean really todd, walance, and others you had a killer art style, some interesting ideas going on and some cool characters, and oh well think i will go make toys and go back to wherever it was and look for new aspiring artists etc to get into a bloated comics field.

Course there was the old standby batman, which recovered pretty decent from the silly 60s and 70s runs.

And then we got books like cerebus, bone, and others that in some reguards were 100 times more interesting than the comics out of the main houses or main players in the industry.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
CrazyGirl17 said:
I do want to read more Spider-Girl, though, but I'm not sure where to look. I was lucky enough to find a small collection book in a book store several years back, but haven't been able to find any others since...
I used to buy the digests from a local comic shop back when I lived in Dublin, but since I moved from there I haven't really kept track of the releases.

*checks Amazon.com*

Okay, so volume 12 was released almost a year ago, and there's been nothing since... except for the Amazing Spider-Girl trade paperbacks. By my count there's five more digests for them to publish before the 100 issues of the original run has been taken care of. It'd be confusing to jump from Spider-Girl volume 12 (issues 67-72) straight to Amazing Spider-Girl.

I'd recommend buying them on Amazon.com, but from what I can see they don't have the first volume anymore, and it's only sold by third parties at about twice what they're worth.

There's a list of ISBN numbers for the books here, to make the search easier:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Girl#Digests

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
cerebus23 said:
I was into spiderman when i was a kid back in the 70s you know the dark and edgy years, norman osborne taking LSD and becoming the green goblin, which lost them the "comic code" seal i seem to recall.
That was Harry Osborn who had the drug problem, just so you know. ^^'

And the 80's were really when the comic started getting darker and edgier. Stories like "Kraven's Last Hunt" come to mind. That said, it was pretty badass of Marvel to have the courage to make Harry an addict.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
How do you screw something like that up? Spider-Clone (because I refuse to call him Scarlet Spider) comes back and is revealed to be the real Spider-Man, Spidey finds out MJ is pregnant, decides to retire and passes the Spider-Man title on to Spider-Clone, something happens that forces Spider-Clone to retire, Spidey comes and ultimately it's discovered Spider-Clone is actually the clone.

It sounds like you'd have to be completely brain-dead to screw that up. But oh boy, Marvel, when you goof it up, you really goof it up.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
The Great JT said:
How do you screw something like that up? Spider-Clone (because I refuse to call him Scarlet Spider) comes back and is revealed to be the real Spider-Man, Spidey finds out MJ is pregnant, decides to retire and passes the Spider-Man title on to Spider-Clone, something happens that forces Spider-Clone to retire, Spidey comes and ultimately it's discovered Spider-Clone is actually the clone.

It sounds like you'd have to be completely brain-dead to screw that up. But oh boy, Marvel, when you goof it up, you really goof it up.
They kept it going on due to popularity; seriously, when the comics implosion occurred Marvel's MARKETING DEPARTMENT had control over basically everything in the company due to the company declaring bankruptcy

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
JediMB said:
cerebus23 said:
I was into spiderman when i was a kid back in the 70s you know the dark and edgy years, norman osborne taking LSD and becoming the green goblin, which lost them the "comic code" seal i seem to recall.
That was Harry Osborn who had the drug problem, just so you know. ^^'

And the 80's were really when the comic started getting darker and edgier. Stories like "Kraven's Last Hunt" come to mind. That said, it was pretty badass of Marvel to have the courage to make Harry an addict.
my bad, has been about 30 years since i read it lol. still those books were good and strong enough to remain in my mind over the years. we many other books from back then and earlier i could scarsely recall any details.

Oz Draconis

Jul 15, 2010
This is why we don't mess with cloning people. Not because it's "morally wrong" but because it causes shit like this to happen....

True Nero

Dahaka Trainer
May 26, 2009
hey Bob. one character i've really wanted to get into but never really was able to understand was Deadpool. eeeeveryone seems to love this guy but i can't seem to to follow him too easily. i agree with the fact that he's probably one of the funniest comics out there though.

Feb 13, 2008
The worst? Second worst surely. One More Day was the thing that stopped me even caring about Spidey. The Clone saga just made me skim read.

Feb 13, 2008
roostuf said:
Man the ninties you keep on painting really looks shit.
The 80's and 70's had their fair share of shit as well. People rattle on about Bieber but forget Stock/Aiken/Waterman, The Monkees, and all the other manufactured bands.

Anyway, SpiderGirl...yeah...something about her...She's purty.