The Big Picture: Link Be A Lady

INeedAName

Feb 16, 2011
If they did make Link a woman, would they make Zelda a man? I mean, in some of the games, there's a romantic tension between the two. Of course, they could simply omit that for the theoretical installment, or, more interestingly, keep it and have lesbian undertones for the game. Two birds with one stone. Would THAT make the game industry drop its jaw or what?

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
Also, CDProjekt are Polish devs, not like the US-dominant game devs who make the majority of "burly white dude" game's protagonists. Cultural variation does make a difference, and since they're one of the few prominent Eastern European devs out there, I don't think they deserve as much crap as say Activision does for their constant lack of well-written female protagonists.
Also worthy note, the Witcher is adapted from a series of fantasy novels, so staying true to the source material is a concern there, that said, no reason other stories in that world couldn't be told from a womans perspective and it's not like it doesn't have it's fair share of strong female characters... who shockingly of all, whilst yes, work as sexual motivation, actually instigate the sex themselves and it's seen not specifically as a connection, but as something that is simply pleasurable for both parties... WAAAAAAAH?! Strong, female leads, who not only instigate sex at their behest not the leads but also don't play it up as either something noble or a chaste act... who actually play it as just a thing people do? Crazy, that would never work, no one would want that in their video games.

All in all, good episode Bob, as for a choice in Links, yeah I wouldn't mind playing a female Link, I think it'd suit his fighting style a lot more and it literally would just have to be a model swap as the animations are already quite lithe and athletic.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Wait...

Wait wait wait...

You mean to tell me... Link is a guy?! And always has been?! Seriously?!

All these years... Oh God! And I've got all these magazines and... Oh God!!! This is the Zidane Tribal thing all over again!

Joking aside, I still don't care for the Legend of Zelda games, though the overflow of "realistic, gruff, Caucasian males" at E3 made me long for the PS1/PS2-era of gaming (Spyro, Crash, Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Kya, Kay, Vexx, etc.)

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
I was hoping female link was a thing this time as well, sucks that it isn't but who knows maybe said discussion will cause Nintendo to decide to actually do that this time around.

The assassins creed thing continues to be laughable as jim well pointed out in his vid this week. Really wish big companies would wake the fuck up to the modern world already. Gender equality is becoming a huger and huger deal as time roles on, in recent years gaining so much momentum and vocal outcry I'm going to really pity any company that forcibly and lazily sticks to the tired "lets just make a game about a gruff white dood again" schtick.

The sooner I get the equivalent of a motoko kusinagi as a protag in a game the better.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Rellik San said:
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
Also, CDProjekt are Polish devs, not like the US-dominant game devs who make the majority of "burly white dude" game's protagonists. Cultural variation does make a difference, and since they're one of the few prominent Eastern European devs out there, I don't think they deserve as much crap as say Activision does for their constant lack of well-written female protagonists.
Also worthy note, the Witcher is adapted from a series of fantasy novels, so staying true to the source material is a concern there, that said, no reason other stories in that world couldn't be told from a womans perspective and it's not like it doesn't have it's fair share of strong female characters... who shockingly of all, whilst yes, work as sexual motivation, actually instigate the sex themselves and it's seen not specifically as a connection, but as something that is simply pleasurable for both parties... WAAAAAAAH?! Strong, female leads, who not only instigate sex at their behest not the leads but also don't play it up as either something noble or a chaste act... who actually play it as just a thing people do? Crazy, that would never work, no one would want that in their video games.

All in all, good episode Bob, as for a choice in Links, yeah I wouldn't mind playing a female Link, I think it'd suit his fighting style a lot more and it literally would just have to be a model swap as the animations are already quite lithe and athletic.
That is a legitimate point, in which case, I wish Bob wouldn't just generalise things.

I feel that once The Witcher Trilogy is done, (and Cyberpunk 2077), they can easily revisit that game, perhaps from the perspective of Ciri, because of how much potential her abilities allow(in terms of prospective stories).

MrMan999

Oct 25, 2011
You know, I would love to see a Zelda game with a female protagonist. But I would prefer if it was Zelda and not a female Link. Mostly because playing as Zelda could result in some very interesting gameplay options. Badass Ninja skills, Archery Magic, and an increased emphasis on puzzle solving. It could be pretty cool.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
I made the point last time this subject came up that the LoZ mythology lends itself perfectly to simply incarnating Link as a female with no real complications.

The quite frankly baffling backlash I got was that since Link has always been male it's somehow established that Link always has to be male.

To be sure I think that it would be a welcome change, but I think that it needs to come with a certain degree of additional work if it's going to be anything other than a gender flip "stunt."
In other words, the first time Link shows up as a lady, the game needs to be one of the few times within the series that Link is given more personality than the gawping "Let's save Hyrule because...reasons" protagonist that he usually is.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
JPArbiter said:
as far as "no one has ever taken a male lead and made them female before." I cite Starbuck and Boomer in the RDM version of Battlestar Galactica. both male characters in the original, re-imagined as women in the update.
Battlestar Galactica isn't exactly what I would call "mainstream". When Bob said "no one", what he meant was "no one with widespread appeal even outside of the nerd culture." The Battlestar Galactica case can make for a decent example, sure, but the series itself just doesn't have the mainstream appeal for anything they do to "make a statement" in the same way as something like Zelda.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
INeedAName said:
If they did make Link a woman, would they make Zelda a man? I mean, in some of the games, there's a romantic tension between the two. Of course, they could simply omit that for the theoretical installment, or, more interestingly, keep it and have lesbian undertones for the game. Two birds with one stone. Would THAT make the game industry drop its jaw or what?
Either option would be kind of cool, but on balance I think the idea of a female character rescuing a male would be the more radical.

I remember watching a documentary on the TV series of Wonder Woman, with several people pointing out how brave it was for the guy playing Steve to take on the role of a guy who is essentially rescued by a girl episode after episode (although they made it very clear he could handle himself too!). It says something that I literally cannot think of another mainstream story where that happens. (And yes, I'm sure others will be able to come up with dozens. But it's still rare)

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
Dexterity said:
Don't suddenly switch Link to a female and say "this is for the feminists".
Why not switch Link to a female just for a change? They've done plenty of other things to his character over the various incarnations.

Oh - and incidentally if there's one other character who they could do this with and literally not have to defend the decision at all, it's The Doctor from Doctor Who.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
JPArbiter said:
as far as "no one has ever taken a male lead and made them female before." I cite Starbuck and Boomer in the RDM version of Battlestar Galactica. both male characters in the original, re-imagined as women in the update.
Yeah, that struck me too. But in partial defense, Link is far more iconic in the history of gaming culture than original BSG was in SF culture--BSG didn't really rise above a niche fanbase until the Sci-Fi reimagining. The equivalent of genderflipping Link would be more like if the Abrams Trek films had genderflipped one of the original Star Trek cast.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Flatfrog said:
Either option would be kind of cool, but on balance I think the idea of a female character rescuing a male would be the more radical.
If Renaissance writers could do it 500 years ago [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradamante], I think we could handle it today.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
INeedAName said:
As far as making Zelda a man goes, I think that would be a little bit more difficult than making Link a woman, since Zelda is basically the reincarnated avatar of the goddess Hylia.

Link, meanwhile, is basically The Hero Hyrule Needs Right Now.

VVThoughtBox

Mar 3, 2014
What's the real reason why people want Link to be a lady? I'm getting the impression that those who want Link to be female just want to act out their fantasies and don't care for diversity in video games. I'm also a bit creeped out by Bob's analysis of Link in the video. I really don't like how he's making assumptions about Link's appearance based on gender stereotypes since it has the unintentional effect of reinforcing the stereotypes that bot men and women work so hard to break away from. Since when has horseback riding and archery been considered feminine?

Rakor

Mar 9, 2010
They should just go all in on the androgenousness in a game and never specify one way or the other. Make it a running gag through the game.

Still waiting for a Sheik game though....