The Big Picture: Link Be A Lady

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
Orekoya said:
Hanlon's razor isn't a viable defense for this when they keep doing it.

Ian Fleming said:
Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action.
Why not? Stupid people do the same stupid things over and over again all the time. It's part of being stupid.

Orekoya said:
Albert Einstein said:
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.
I wasn't ruling it out, just pointing out there's no evidence of malice. Therefore the conclusion of such is invalid.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
hermes200 said:
Jennacide said:
I just want to say, because now Bob is doing it too, the whole AC Unity thing wasn't outright sexist. It was stupid, badly worded (they are a natively French company), and LAZY. The reason there isn't a female character in the co-op is because you're just 4 different versions of the player character. They were trying to say the couldn't afford to make two protagonists, one male and one female, for the entire game. Which yes, we all know is bullshit since they wouldn't have to make any new riggings as they already have the model and rig for Aveline, and could easily change the outward appearance while keeping the rigging.

They aren't doing it to be spiteful to women, they're doing it because they're fucking LAZY. And maybe a little cheap.
I agree that the wording was poor, but if the meaning was "we can't afford to create two different characters for the entire game", then it is NOT bullshit, it is a valid point. Remember that AC is a game with several hours worth of script, voice acting and localization, with well defined characters; which means it would change everything from what your character's name is pronounced by lots of other characters, to interactions and possibly story elements. To simply say: lets replace this model for a woman, like it was some sort of mod, while keeping everything else the same, and call it a day, is simplistic and amateurish. To make it properly at this point in development would be an exorbitant amount of work.

Other games with voice acting have the option to choose the genre, but they are built from the beginning with tricks like addressing them neutrally (The Boss in Saints Rows, Dovahkiin in Skyrim, Commander Shepard in Mass Effect) or simply didn't give a shit about defining the character: in Saints Rows 4, you can have sex with pretty much anything; in Skyrim, you can marry anything (regardless of sex or race) and you can walk naked into a sacred temple and no one will bat an eye. Those characters are defined by your actions, not by the story the developers are trying to make. Assassins Creed was never a game with undefined characters, so that you could insert yourself into them; and now people are blaming them for that...

At this point, I feel like complaining that you can't choose a woman as the main character in a story already defined is like complaining there are not two versions of Lord of the Rings, one with the fellowship comprised entirely by women.
Well, it's not bullshit, true, but it still borders on lazy excuses. A better excuse would have simply been "hey, the co-op is the same guy 4 times, and we want to focus on just this one guys life." That would have been okay. What got them in trouble was the wording, but also it's still a lame excuse when you realize what they were going for. As you said, there are tricks to get around it, the best option for a game like AC would let you pick gender, but make the character name be locked, like Shepard in Mass Effect. Have an assassin named Alex, now you're gender neutral. And since AC still hasn't ever touched on romance (to my knowledge, not played all the smaller titles), you should be in the clear.

Would it be more expensive? Yes, but only for hiring another VA. And that's still not an exceptionally good excuse in this case, as the AC series is one of the higher grossing games currently in the industry. If they only want to make a male playable, they need to state that. Trying to beat around the bush did nothing but make them look stupid and a bit sexist. And remember that the reason we are bringing it up is because we'd like to start seeing some more female protagonists, instead of 'generic rugged white male.' Ubisoft gets extra beat up in this because they already did it with Aveline, which was great, and then made this poorly worded comment and lost most of their goodwill. (Or what was left of it after the Watch_Dogs PC version fiasco)

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
wulf3n said:
Orekoya said:
Hanlon's razor isn't a viable defense for this when they keep doing it.

Ian Fleming said:
Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action.
Why not? Stupid people do the same stupid things over and over again all the time. It's part of being stupid.

Orekoya said:
Albert Einstein said:
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.
I wasn't ruling it out, just pointing out there's no evidence of malice. Therefore the conclusion of such is invalid.
I don't have to go far into the past to look for potential evidence when within the past year we had David Jaffe [https://twitter.com/davidscottjaffe/status/425441182689144833] saying that Felrender's harassment [https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BedGcTWCUAAArm-.png:large] from another game writer was at least partially her fault [http://i.somethingawful.com/u/ctstalker/2014/OhJaffe.jpg]. And that's the game makers, the community.. well, let's just say that Fat, Ugly or Slutty [http://fatuglyorslutty.com/] exists for a reason.

SNCommand

Aug 29, 2011
Not likely to happen if you ask me, Nintendo is not exactly famous for "shaking the boat", what we can do is cross fingers and hope for another good Metroid game

Honestly I've always felt Playstation was better at representing both genders, you got for example the standalone expansion to inFamous: Second Son having you play as Fetch in inFamou: First Light, and that's with Echo taking over the reins of the Killzone franchise apparently with the death of Kellan, quite similar to the protagonist in Socom 4: Special Forces getting killed halfway through and being replaced by the female Lt. Park, Ellie being a playable character for parts of the game in Last of Us, main character in Last of Us: Left Behind, a female protagonist in Heavy Rain, the main character in Beyond: Two Souls being female, Nariko in Heavenly Sword etc.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Oh Bob... Bob please.

Screwing with an established character will always be seen as bad. "Why not a woman jus cuz" isn't an excuse because there's no process for link to change like Dr. Who which COULD produce a female doctor (I think). Otherwise, why not a male black Link? Why not a trans-gender Pakistani if you're wanting to change established characters "just cuz".

However, a different lead character in that universe that's female would be just fine and no one would say anything because it's a new character being established. Same thing went for a dark skinned spiderman, people were into that because it wasn't "black Peter Parker".

PoloniumFist

Aug 30, 2011
Female or not, I'm totally gay for this new Link look. Also that whole reincarnation thing, way over my head. I need to go through and play all the Legend of Zelda again.

My plan is to get a Wii U in the next year (decide when the LoZ release date is announced), but I don't know if I can play all the LoZ games on it as far back as, say Ocarina of Time.

IrisNetwork

Sep 11, 2013
Can BOTH Link AND Zelda be female? Hurr hurr hurr :3

Gender-swapped Nathan Drake? Uhhh, Lara Croft?

You want to see some pretty damn good female protagonists? Play Transistor. The protagonist, Red is not a damsel in need of rescue nor is she an emotionally deficit badass girl. She's an actual character with hopes, dreams and loved ones. Throughout the game, she is motivated by the hope of regaining all the things she loved. It is a beautiful story.

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
JediMB said:
It's really rather interesting that all the god-level entities in Zelda lore are female-gendered. First there's the "Old Gods" who created the world to begin with; Din, Nayru and Farore; and then there's Hylia who was the protector of the Hylian people.

Anyway, another difference between Link and Zelda in this situation would be that there is a canonical tradition of the royal family to name the princesses Zelda. I believe The Wind Waker timeline has a tradition of dressing boys up in green tunics (in honor of the vanished Hero of Time), but that's as far as it goes. Canonically, each incarnation of "Link" could very well have an entirely unique name, which could be why previous heroes are never actually mentioned by name.

Now something just occurred to me: we've never seen a queen of Hyrule. We've had kings, a prince, and (of course) princesses, but not a single reference to a queen. One might speculate that perhaps only one female heir of Hylia's bloodline can exist at a time, but that would be pretty dark for a Nintendo franchise.

EDIT:
Also, I made a mistake earlier. Zelda isn't the avatar of Hylia, but rather Hylia herself reincarnated as a mortal.
Aside from Hylia's soul having a preference for those of noble blood it's not crazy to think it could theoretically just jump to anyone, it's not like Link's spirit has had any preferences in terms of who it picks as a host except that they have blonde hair and that they're typically from common stock (In other words almost everyone). Hell if it were a straight up issue of bloodlines than Link and Zelda would both be born to the royal family regularly considering how many times it's been implied that Link and Zelda were romantically interested in one another at the end of games. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch for Zelda to die before Link and reincarnate whilst Link is still alive and grow to adulthood, hell have an incarnation of Demise/Ganon show up and kill Link in this timeline and you'd have the perfect set-up for a game where Zelda has to be the Hero since she's the only one who stands a chance at stopping Ganon before he sets up a system where he just repeatedly kills and or captures Link and Zelda as children to prevent them from stopping him! We even have evidence that Ganon has tried to implement this system before with Wind Waker.

jaibryan

Jun 3, 2014
i really don't see the good in making link a girl. first, link gender doesn't really matter so why change it just to change it? and if you're going to change it for the purpose of the hole "girl power" thing, it will stop being a game and just be a statement that will alienate a lot of zelda fans which is a bad business decision. speaking of business, changing links gender would upset the sexist zelda player without gaining any new followers (no one is going to suddenly start playing zelda just because of a gender swap). and i'm sick of this whole "equality" thing when it comes to gender but no one is complaining about the lack of racial diversity. everyone and their mom ripped star wars for only having 2 women but no one batted an eye at it only having 2 people of color. and all the men bashing going on of the past couple of years is sickening. and some men have have been the main people doing it, saying things like "women better than man" "us stupid men need women to keep us alive" "if women ruled the world, it would be a better place" "women are Superior in every way". and don't get me wrong, i'm all for equality among everyone but you don't have to tare down one group to build up another. so may 2 main things i'm trying to get across is: 1) if you want a female link, just do what uncharted and bayonetta did (gender swap a character from a franchise and call it something else). and 2) when fighting for equality, you don't need to and shouldn't tare down another group. and if you're fighting for equality, fight for all groups, not just one.

Gizen

Nov 17, 2009
uanime5 said:
Gizen said:
Link isn't really much of a 'character'. With the exception of Wind Waker, he generally has no personality, intentionally so, as he's supposed to be an avatar for the player themself. Making him female, or better yet giving the option to be either or, lets the other half of the world get to be in his shoes for a change. It's hardly laziness.
Care to explain why women can't play a Zelda game because the main character is male?

Also Link is a character in a story, not an avatar for the player.
No, he's specifically intended to be the player's avatar. That's why he still remains a silent protagonist even long after such characters fell out of style. Even Mario isn't completely silent, but Link still doesn't say a word.

No, because a person is not defined solely by their gender, especially in a fictionalized world where you're free to throw out gender stereotypes and prejudices as having never existed there.
That just results in unrealistic character that people can't relate to. It's also ridiculous to blame all difference in gender on prejudice when there's many biological reason for them, such as men being biologically stronger than women.
It actually doesn't result in unrealistic characters that people can't relate to. It is, in fact, the exact opposite. Unrelatable characters stem from the idea that all people act the same way, and thus all characters must be created in the same way in order for people to relate to them, when everyone is different and will react to things differently as a result. It is specifically for this reason that character building must come first.

While writing specifically with the knowledge that your character is female can increase the strength of the writing/story, that should never be the starting point. The focus needs to be on developing the character first, and figuring out their place in the world. You complain about token characters, but when you specifically start with nothing more than 'this character's gonna be a girl', that is exactly how token characters are created, with no purpose to serve other than to meet a checklist.
I'd say it's more important to figure out the general plot of the game, create characters that will be needed in this plot, then create supporting characters. There's no sense in creating some well written female character, then realising that she has no reason to take part in this adventure.
Again, you're assuming that a generalized approach is somehow the correct approach when not everything is the same. Not every narrative is plot driven, some narratives are specifically character driven, with a stronger focus on character development over a grandiose plot that moves from scene to scene and leaves no room for characters to be introspective and to actually develop and grow. Certainly some stories are like that, and an abundance of video games are, but it is not the only way to tell a story, nor is it necessarily the 'correct' way. Variety is ignored to the medium's own detriment.

People act like male is the default, and any attempt to do a female is 'token representation' or pandering.
The majority of soldiers and adventures are male, so it makes sense for male to be the default. For roles such as nurse or teacher it would make more sense to have the default be female as most of the nurses and teacher are female.
This is just straight-up bullshit on so many levels. Not only does this attitude stem from pre-women's rights movements when women were actively being excluded from those roles, but it also dismisses the fact that women CAN and DO perform these roles nowadays. Try telling that to an actual women serving in the military that she can't be featured in a video game because her gender hasn't finished catching up yet from back in the day when she still wouldn't have even been allowed to vote.
The fact that some women perform these roles doesn't change the fact that the majority of men perform these roles, thus making men the default is completely justified.
FICTION IS NOT REAL LIFE. BECAUSE REAL LIFE IS FULL OF BULLSHIT GENDER STEREOTYPES IS NOT A VALID REASON FOR FICTION TO FOLLOW SUIT, ESPECIALLY WHEN FICTION CAN HELP TO INSPIRE CHANGE SO THAT THE BULLSHIT WILL EVENTUALLY BE CLEANED UP. THIS SHOULD NOT BE SO DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND. THIS EXCUSE IS EVEN STUPIDER AND FLIMSIER THE FURTHER THAT FICTION TREADS INTO THE REALM OF PURE FANTASY WITH FUCKING MONSTERS AND MAGIC THAT HAVE NO GODDAMNED BUSINESS BEING COMPARED TO REALITY.

Not to mention that that kind of dismissive attitude only serves to make young girls feel like their options in life are limited. They deserve to be represented in all the roles they're perfectly capable of fulfilling in real life.
Their options are limited by their genetic traits, their parent's finances, the society they live in, and what they enjoy doing.

Also women aren't so fragile that they won't believe that they can be soldiers or scientists unless they see a woman in a game doing these things.
Their options are actually limited by none of those things. Each of those factors can certainly magnify the difficulty a thousand fold by themself to form seemingly insurmountable odds, but they CAN be overcome, and social studies have indicated that one of the most important factors in overcoming said obstacles is convincing people that it actually can be done. Not just women, but human beings as a whole, really ARE that fragile. They get discouraged easily and it ultimately isn't that hard to dissuade someone from living up to their full potential. That's why equal representation in media is so bloody important and it's why people make such a big deal out of shit like this. For everyone like you who thinks it doesn't matter, there's a story of a child who'd written off the idea of a career being involved in something they loved until they saw someone just like them making it work.

Except that, despite what marketing people may try to lead you to believe, it's never actually been proven that male characters inherently sell better than female ones, and in fact there are multiple examples where this is either blatantly false, or where a female-led game/move/whatever sold worse due to other unrelated factors (actual quality of the product/poor marketing/etc.)
Just because you don't like what the evidence shows doesn't make it wrong. I suspect you didn't provide any links to your claims because you don't have any evidence to support them.
Yes, nevermind the fact that you made your claims first and likewise backed them up with nothing. If you wanna get into a statistics war, feel free to start one up, but I have more valuable things to do with my time than go digging through archives for data on behalf of someone else who can't be bothered to do the same.

Hell, you don't even have to go far for the most blatant example that everyone's talking about on this very site. Assassin's Creed, the game that started this whole discussion at this year's E3. There was a game starring a female protagonist. Sold terribly. Was it because the character was female? Or was it because the game was released on a completely different platform from the rest of the franchise, a platform which by the way has had weak sales and thus a poor install base, and then on top of that the game was given next to no marketing to make anyone aware of it even while the main series games starring men are treated to massive all-out unavoidable marketing assaults? A refusal to make more female-lead games so that we have a proper sample size with which to make comparisons makes the answer difficult to determine for certain. The corporate/marketing line likes to say it was the former, but actual logic would lean heavily towards the latter. But admitting it was the latter would require the people in charge to also admit they weren't doing their jobs properly, and what what what? Corporate suits admit fault? Oh heeeeeeeell no, far easier to just blame the consumers and absolve themselves of guilt so they can go back to the status quo.

AdamRBi

Feb 7, 2010
With Link's design in the new game; I imagine, unless gender is intertwined with the story via romance or gendered roles, that changing some pronouns and some dialogue is all you really need to paint the illusion of alternate genders. Pretty simple; heck if they've got the time they can even vary the animations very slightly to differentiate the different bone structures (and show Ubisoft that animating women is really not that hard).

I'd still play as male Link, which is why I'd really like them to go with option instead of one or the other, but I know for people like my girlfriend and other big time female LoZ fans this can only make the game better.

I do, however, have to shake my head in disagreement over those suggesting to either make Zelda the protagonist of a mainline LoZ title or making her a male in the new game. Here's why;

First of all, I have no problem and would love to see a game where Zelda is the protagonist, just not a mainline one. One of the core ideas behind the games is that "Link" is just an avatar for the player. Very little backstory, just enough emotion to convey a kind and heroic personality, and customizable name. Zelda is different, Zelda is not an avatar she is a character. Character driven stories are great, just not if the PC is supposed to be an avatar for the player to self insert.

As for making Zelda a male that has two issues; first and foremost it goes against the LoZ's lore to which all princesses of Hyrule are named Zelda, depending on the game's place in the timeline. Now, real life social progress does hold weight over maintaining a fiction's lore (much to my own personal dismay), but going back on pre-established lore does hurt a series. You can work creatively within the lore without resorting to a simple and gimmicky genderswap; especially since a gimmicky genderswap doesn't leap to much in the way of progress. While a female Link can work due to Link's role as an avatar, Zelda would be seen as just a genderswap; possibly even weakening the effect being able to play as a female Link would bring. Instead of being seen as opening the game to relate to more players it'll be seen much more of a genderswap gimmick.

Azure23

Nov 5, 2012
Rellik San said:
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
Also, CDProjekt are Polish devs, not like the US-dominant game devs who make the majority of "burly white dude" game's protagonists. Cultural variation does make a difference, and since they're one of the few prominent Eastern European devs out there, I don't think they deserve as much crap as say Activision does for their constant lack of well-written female protagonists.
Also worthy note, the Witcher is adapted from a series of fantasy novels, so staying true to the source material is a concern there, that said, no reason other stories in that world couldn't be told from a womans perspective and it's not like it doesn't have it's fair share of strong female characters... who shockingly of all, whilst yes, work as sexual motivation, actually instigate the sex themselves and it's seen not specifically as a connection, but as something that is simply pleasurable for both parties... WAAAAAAAH?! Strong, female leads, who not only instigate sex at their behest not the leads but also don't play it up as either something noble or a chaste act... who actually play it as just a thing people do? Crazy, that would never work, no one would want that in their video games.

All in all, good episode Bob, as for a choice in Links, yeah I wouldn't mind playing a female Link, I think it'd suit his fighting style a lot more and it literally would just have to be a model swap as the animations are already quite lithe and athletic.
Yeah I imagine a lot of people took issue with Geralt being included in that splash screen (myself among them), you don't just put up some pictures of spunkgargleweewee protagonists and then include the fucking Witcher in there. If any if those games could claim to have well developed female characters with depth it would be the Witcher, (and maybe The Last of Us too).

Azure23

Nov 5, 2012
Nurb said:
Oh Bob... Bob please.

Screwing with an established character will always be seen as bad. "Why not a woman jus cuz" isn't an excuse because there's no process for link to change like Dr. Who which COULD produce a female doctor (I think). Otherwise, why not a male black Link? Why not a trans-gender Pakistani if you're wanting to change established characters "just cuz".

However, a different lead character in that universe that's female would be just fine and no one would say anything because it's a new character being established. Same thing went for a dark skinned spiderman, people were into that because it wasn't "black Peter Parker".
Were you not paying attention? Have you played any Zelda games? Link is basically THE DOCTOR (not Dr. Who, pfft)

The "process" for change is the same process that reincarnated the triforce into three people over the generations. The triforce of wisdom is reincarnated in a princess, the triforce of power is reincarnated in a warrior, and the triforce of courage is reincarnated in a hero. There's literally no lore reason why that cant be a woman. Most Zelda games star different reincarnations of Link and Zelda and Ganon anyway, I mean do you remember the timeline where Zelda was a damn pirate captain?

Link is not an established character, he's a completely personality-less cipher who's only job is to the players "link" (get it?) to the game world. I mean the whole why not a lady thing? Really? Because right now the default character design in triple a gaming is a boring white guy with some stubble.

Basically Aiden Pierce can fuck off the edge of my dick.

jaibryan

Jun 3, 2014
Azure23 said:
Nurb said:
Oh Bob... Bob please.

Were you not paying attention? Have you played any Zelda games? Link is basically THE DOCTOR (not Dr. Who, pfft)

The "process" for change is the same process that reincarnated the triforce into three people over the generations. The triforce of wisdom is reincarnated in a princess, the triforce of power is reincarnated in a warrior, and the triforce of courage is reincarnated in a hero. There's literally no lore reason why that cant be a woman. Most Zelda games star different reincarnations of Link and Zelda and Ganon anyway, I mean do you remember the timeline where Zelda was a damn pirate captain?

Link is not an established character, he's a completely personality-less cipher who's only job is to the players "link" (get it?) to the game world. I mean the whole why not a lady thing? Really? Because right now the default character design triple a gaming is a boring white guy with some stubble.

Basically Aiden Pierce can fuck off the edge of my dick.

than why not black link or asian link? why is equality only important when it comes to gender and not race?

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Azure23 said:
Nurb said:
Oh Bob... Bob please.

...Link is not an established character...
That ruins your whole argument.