The Big Picture: Not Okay

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
I agree, rock on bob! Seriously! I can't believe there are people trying to justify this... I haven't seen the clip in quesiton myself, but what the hell is this guy trying to justify?

Love the ending statement there too bob! This is why I watch your show.

Panorama

Carry on Jeeves
Dec 7, 2010
Can i start with BOOM!!

Thank you bob, it might just draw you some more traffic, probably less then pc gaming is dead but still probably quite hefty. I feel i agree with pretty much everything and have nothing to add.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Woah... i'm not really familiar with the fighting game community but... is sexism really such a big problem there? That's disturbing. Now, i never really got to see any sort of misoginy in any gaming community (probably because i only frequent sites with such a great and tolerant community such as The Escapist... aww) but if that's an issue, well, it really shouldn't be. I have no idea why anyone should have any sort of aversion to women, it doesn't make sense and we should be smarter than that.

Alloflifedecays

May 28, 2008
So glad to see this brought up. The sexism a lot of girls in nerd culture face is horrific - mostly because it's still pretty dominated by socially awkward beta males who've built up a seething resentment towards the women who never talked to them. But yeah, the childish, churlish, socially reactionary "boys' club" mentality needs stomping out hard.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
This is probably the most pissed off I've ever heard movie bob sound; I don't blame him, either, as I've said the exact same thing on more than one occasion over the last few years. I remember calling some friends out on throwing the word rape around more casually than I was comfortable with and they looked at me like I grew a second head.

Seriously, nerd culture based sexism is something I would seriously like to see go away. Forever.

aeric90

Mar 31, 2010
...and continuing with "Heavy Week" on the Escapist...

Very well spoken, Bob. This should be viewed by practically everyone on the internet.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Ok I must of been under some rock since I never heard of Aris constrosity let alone the whole Cross Assult show.
So against sexism is something you do know or is it next week is suppose to be stuff you are know alot of?

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
I agree, I am sick of all these guys posting pictures of female celebs in their videos and leering over them or only mentioning them in relation to their attraction and not their acting talents or intelligence or anything.

Dec 14, 2009
PsychedelicDiamond said:
Woah... i'm not really familiar with the fighting game community but... is sexism really such a big problem there? That's disturbing. Now, i never really got to see any sort of misoginy in any gaming community (probably because i only frequent sites with such a great and tolerant community such as The Escapist... aww) but if that's an issue, well, it really shouldn't be. I have no idea why anyone should have any sort of aversion to women, it doesn't make sense and we should be smarter than that.
You'd be surprised.

I play a lot of UMVC3, and my name is Ashley, a predominately female name in 'Merica.

The amount of crap I get from guys who think I'm a girl is astounding, especially when I whoop their arses.

OT: Hey Bob, whose awesome? You're awesome.

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
Gotta say, as someone who plays a lot of fighting games, I'm kinda offended that some idiot thinks that a) the community has sexual harassment as one of it's founding principles and b) that that's a good thing.

Thanks for making us look like assholes, Bakhtanian... Dumbass.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
I tip my hat to you, sir.

Seriously, thank you. I don't always agree with you (such as your historically based argument for justifying double standards regarding race; I feel that true equality can only be brought by acts of true equality, not retribution for previous acts), but you construct your arguments well. And I truly appreciate it when you apply that ability to arguments I agree with and/or something that HAS to be said.

And I hate to admit it, but I've had my own way of shrugging off sexism and other intolerance within Geek culture: By saying "Ugh, but I'm not that kind of geek. I'm better than they are. They just won't get anywhere with their lives."

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Wanna know what else is considered acceptable in the community?

Not allowing newcomers to play as if letting them play will make everyone else in the FGC's Battle Royale collar explode.

Stay classy, FGC, stay classy.

CronoT

May 15, 2010
I tend to avoid and criticize pro-gaming, and this is one of the major reasons for doing so. With the rare exception, the personality of most "Professional Gamers" can be summed up in the term douchebag.

These are the same kind of people that tend to get thrown out of team sports, precisely because no one wants to be playing with them, because they either make the rest of the team look bad by proxy, or end up blaming the team for their failure.

In overall classlessness, this is like when Tom Brady's wife blamed the rest of the Patriots team for her husband not winning the Super Bowl this year.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
This was the best episode in a while. Pretty much everything that needs saying about nerd culture is here. Just replace 'women' with any other subject matter and its pretty much 100% interchangeable.

Although, in defense of the 'Why are we even talking about this?' argument, I don't think that necessarily means people don't want to admit that these problems exist, more just 'Why is it my responsibility to tell these assholes to grow up? Why can't I just be free to not be associated with them?'

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Bob, while we may not see eye to eye on different subject, I am fully, 100% backing you on this subject.

RoseArch said:
Then why hasn't there been a FemBob yet in your TGO series?
Do... do you really want to see a female version of Bob?