The Big Picture: Not Okay

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
him over there said:
Awexsome said:
People can throw around dictionary definitions and technicalities of the term, "rape" all day but it won't change the reason and meaning behind why the cruder gamers actually use the term so casually.

It's all meant and rooted as a reference to homosexual slurs or sexist slurs implying their foe is gay or a woman and therefore inferior.
Or y'know, it implies that they were raped, which could happen to anybody and happens because of being overpowered and degraded regardless of sex or orientation. Doesn't it seem to make a lot more sense that people say "yah got raped" because they are trying to insult and degrade you and people who've been raped have suffered traumatic events at the hands of someone who overpowered and wrecked them as a person?
Pretty much this. While I can understand the interpretation of that term being used to imply homosexuality, if you stop to think about that for two seconds it wouldn't make any sense. See, rape takes two people, so if Guy A says to Guy B, "Yeah, get raped!" as a way to indicate Guy B is gay (and therefore inferior, according to Awexsome's line of reasoning), it actually identifies Guy A as the more likely candidate for that label given he's the one initiating the sexual encounter, as it were.

It makes no sense to think of it that way is what I'm saying.

It's just a crude way to assert dominance more than linking to any specific gender/sexuality issue, like most trash talk, really.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
The amount of crap I get from guys who think I'm a girl is astounding, especially when I whoop their arses.
To be fair, you only whoop them because you're a dude, as women are terrible at fighting games.

*runs*

That said, it doesn't seem to be fighting game specific. This was videod, so it got fairly widespread attention, and it was a pretty severe case, but it's hardly exclusive.

miloram

I write, therefore I am
Nov 27, 2008
SteelStallion said:
I understand your position but I reserve my right to say "gg noobs get raped" when pwning some scrubs online.
And I reserve my rights to report you to the proper authorities and/or kick you off my server. That isn't acceptable behavior, and it is sexist.

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
Shjade said:
zehydra said:
Shjade said:
zehydra said:
The only thing I really disagreed with Bob on this one (and I disagree with him on a number of things in this show), is his assertion that "Fairness" is not "Censorship". Or rather, that the justice system punishing people for using hate-speech is not "censorship".
But it isn't. Being punished for something you say isn't censorship; censorship prevents things from being said/heard in the first place.
Which is exactly what the threat of punishment does.
If you can't say something for fear of being punished by law, then it's censorship.

Some will disagree with me on this, but we have laws and punishment not for justice, but to prevent crime from occurring in the first place.
Discouragement != censorship. Yeah, laws and consequences for breaking them are intended to discourage criminal activity, but when that criminal activity happens anyway, what follows? Punishment applicable to the action. Whatever happened still happened.

Likewise, if you say some horrific offensive harmful thing and get punished for it, you haven't been censored. Whatever you said is still out there, particularly if it was written rather than spoken. It isn't blacked out or removed (unless there's a legal obligation to do so - libel etc.). No censorship took place.

If you really want to keep going with the comparison to crime, I'd liken censorship to a physical barricade that literally denies you the ability to break into someone's home to steal from them, rather than the penalty for breaking in and stealing things. You flat out can't do it, regardless of what the consequences might be if you could.
This is completely ludicrous. You have an absurdly narrow definition of censorship. If the government had a law against criticizing the government and put people who criticized the government in prison it would most definitely be a form of censorship, even if they left what the person said alone. Even if you were able to prove that it wasn't censorship, that would only be an argument from the definition of a term and wouldn't accomplish anything. It would still be the case that arresting people for saying things that are offensive but not immediately harmful, whatever you want to call it (Censorship #2), would still be impermissible.

There is only one exception to the first amendment: shouting "fire" in a crowded movie theater. Aside from slander and threats, the only speech that isn't protected is speech that immediately leads to harmful results. You can even say, "let's burn down the government, they're all a bunch of crooks!", as long as you don't say "let's burn down the such-and-such building on July 27th using a homemade bomb. We'll meet at 7:00 am sharp at the corner of such-and-such."

But racial slurs and other bigoted remarks don't even come close to fitting in that category. I hate to break it to you, but something that hurts someone's feelings isn't harmful enough to warrant any sort of legal action. If you slander a person by making specific false claims about them, or threaten them, then sure, they can take legal action against you. But calling someone a name doesn't warrant jack squat.

Where would it stop? Maybe I find particular religious organizations like the Westboro Baptist Church to say incredibly hurtful things that harm me psychologically, well... guess we should go arrest them for expressing their religious beliefs! Why stop there? Clearly their entire religious organization is focused on spreading hatred and is therefore harmful to society. Better call in SWAT and Waco their asses.

You know, I normally laugh when I hear people like Glen Beck call liberals fascists. Clearly Beck is a frothing-at-the-mouth lunatic. But then I remember that there are actually liberals out there who want to crap all over the first amendment just to make sure some people's feelings don't get hurt. I'm telling you right now, even if calling people a nasty name sometimes makes them commit suicide, it still wouldn't be enough to turn over the rights given to us by the first amendment. Sure, it would be tragic, but we can't outlaw certain words anymore than we could outlaw cars because people might drink and drive.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin.

Unesh52

May 27, 2010
Callate said:
But where I get nervous is where Bob seems to be saying that there is no private place for attitudes or ideas that the general public finds offensive, only the public sphere where it comes right out of the gate to get immediately pelted with fruit for its intrinsic wrongness.

But I don't see the harm of Mac users quietly echoing to each other the superiority of users of their chosen platform, or "furries" sharing fantasies with one another, to give two examples (neither of which include me), despite the fact that expression of those ideas in the public sphere might get those who express them treated with derision and disgust.

I see the problem with expressing a bad attitude in public as though the public should accept and mainstream that attitude. I'm concerned with that form of indignation, however righteous, being carried over into areas where people who may recognize their attitudes and ideas are "niche" want to share them with each other.
Volf said:
My thoughts exactly, a person should have the right to express unpopular opinions in a private setting.

...people should have a right to express themselves freely in a private environment.
I always wonder about posting replies to comments from pages ago, but I have something to say, so... well here it goes.

I don't dispute that people should be allowed to express any opinion, no matter how unpopular, from a view that the the Star Wars prequels are better than the original trilogy to an opinion that the rightful place of a woman is in the kitchen, generally any time they wish, but certainly in a private place, such as a user group or one's own home. However, I don't think Bob was suggesting that this shouldn't be the case. First of all, Bob was responding to an attitude people display more than the actual opinions they hold, which is a whole different thing, though not irrelevant. Second, he wasn't suggesting that we should be going "thought police" on people we disagree with. Rather, he was suggesting that we stop normalizing views that we have good reason to think are wrong (and are morally significant, such as in the case of racism, as opposed to a preference about Star Wars) and, as another point, that we should stop tolerating harmful attitudes and behaviors, like the casual use of racial slurs and the word "rape." This isn't to say that those who feel differently or who have unpopular opinions shouldn't be allowed to express themselves, but instead that we should react appropriately to them when they do - that is to say, with disapproval. His point, to put it another way, is that if we can agree that calling your opponent homophobic slurs over a match of CoD is ignorant and hurtful, then we are justified in expressing our disapproval of such behavior and should, in fact, discourage it when we can. That doesn't violate someone's right to free speech, and I agree with him about this; it's the proper way to go about encouraging what we think is right and discouraging what we think is wrong.

And in more direct response to Callate's post, Bob was talking about a very specific genus of actions, attitudes, and behaviors - those that are offensive and otherwise harmful to others, as in the case of racial, sexual, or gender-related slurs, or the casual inclusion of rape in humorous contexts. Now, I may not precisely agree with Bob about what kind of things are "harmful" (I love off color jokes as much as the next guy), but I can certainly get with the spirit of his sentiment. He's making a claim about some category of things being wrong and saying we should discourage them, not suggesting that whatever society deems offensive should be discouraged. This means that Bob does not intend to include furries and Mac elitists in the group of people he is criticizing here.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Smilomaniac said:
Just once I'd like to see someone stand up for sexism going the other way around.
Having grown up in a time where women are the superior gender and are to be treated as such, I'm way beyond tired of these kinds of rants.
What horrible dystopian future did you come from, and how did you get back here?

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
...and yet not a word about misandry. Oh, that's right, it's only awful when it's happening to women. Way to throw more gas on the fire by stating the obvious as unevenly as possible, pretty much like anyone else lamenting the woes of oppressed women these days.

I don't disagree with you, Bob, but another "save the women, damn the men" speech changes what, exactly?

Unesh52

May 27, 2010
miloram said:
And I reserve my rights to report you to the proper authorities and/or kick you off my server. That isn't acceptable behavior, and it is sexist.
Guilherme Zoldan said:
Um, okay how is the word rape now sexism? Its not really implying any gender is inferior or anything.
Yeah, I'm not really getting how using "rape" is sexist either. I also don't recall if Bob said as much, though I may just be forgetting. I think it's still inappropriate and hurtful (at least arguably so), perhaps in a similar way to sexism, but I think it's a category mistake to say it's sexism. Like saying piracy is stealing. Sure, it may be similar, it may be just as wrong, and it may even be wrong for the same reasons, but it's still a different thing, in important respects.

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Smilomaniac said:
Just once I'd like to see someone stand up for sexism going the other way around.
Having grown up in a time where women are the superior gender and are to be treated as such, I'm way beyond tired of these kinds of rants.
What horrible dystopian future did you come from, and how did you get back here?
Well, depending upon your sexual proclivities it might be considered a utopian future. Especially if there is an ample supply of spandex.

Adric Cluff

Jul 18, 2011
Don't do what Rush Limbaugh Does (DDWRLD) is a good rule of thumb for any situation where you're interacting with another human being, Cross Assault is just one more case to prove that. Seriously right down to the 'stooping to their level-Starcraft allegory' I'm sure that Bob, as a politically minded chap noticed the parallel.
Great ep Bob, these issues really make you wonder if anyone remembers how to be nice to one another anymore.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
summerof2010 said:
This isn't to say that those who feel differently or who have unpopular opinions shouldn't be allowed to express themselves, but instead that we should react appropriately to them when they do - that is to say, with disapproval.
In fact, his point is that the right to express your opinions does not shield you from criticism nor backlash. He's not saying "you don't have the right to an opinion;" he merely said "we have a right to have ours, too." We have a right to not be okay with it. Something that, if we want things to change, we should exercise.

Plus, I get the whole "private setting" thing that one of the people you quoted was saying, but Bob brought this up in response to a streaming video series, not a private convo that someone overheard or got leaked. This was public. It was around people, and being streamed on the web. This was a public sentiment and said around people who ran with it. I saw the video, and it was not particularly cool.

Bob was talking about there being specific sectors of the community where it's still okay. Like, say, the community revolving around fighting games. That's not really a private situation, the kind people seem edgy about. And it really is uncomfortable to watch the dude carry on through a veritable checklist of inappropriate shit as though it never occurred to him it might be a problem. Yay.

It really is telling, it really is a problem, and the culture surrounding it should be ashamed and it has absolutely nothing to do with expressing thoughts in privacy.

dragonswarrior

Also a Social Justice Warrior
Feb 13, 2012
MovieBob = greatness.

Yes, yes, this video works. Something my brother REALLY needs to see, unfortunately he probably wont. *sighs* Ah well, I'll get it to him eventually.

In the meantime I will definitely try to pass it along to everyone else.

Spreading acceptance and awesomeness everywhere!! Huzzah!!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Icehearted said:
...and yet not a word about misandry. Oh, that's right, it's only awful when it's happening to women. Way to throw more gas on the fire by stating the obvious as unevenly as possible, pretty much like anyone else lamenting the woes of oppressed women these days.

I don't disagree with you, Bob, but another "save the women, damn the men" speech changes what, exactly?
Did you enjoy knocking down that strawman? It seemed therapeutic.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
ReiverCorrupter said:
You seem to have the impression I'm somehow suggesting there should be legal ramifications for offensive language. So extreme! Broaden your narrow definition of "punishment" for a bit.

Steve hangs out with some folks in Mumble when he's gaming with them. Of those folks, one guy (Charles, let's say) throws around some pretty unfriendly language. Steve and the others don't really approve and, as a result, Charles finds himself less and less frequently invited to join in their gaming sessions when they're online.

Has Charles been censored?