The Big Picture: Schlocktober 2012: Attack of the Super Monsters

Master_of_Oldskool

Sep 5, 2008
"One of those things you saw as a kid and later thought you hallucinated." Thought that way about Beetlborgs until I came across its TvTropes article the other day. I vaguely remembered being a fan of it for a few years, and then I couldn't find any evidence it had existed.

And as for this thing, well... I'm not sure how to articulate my reaction aside from "Oh, Japan," which everyone here has already used. Just... just what.

CAPTCHA, in childishly shakey, pink font: steal your face

Okay, is the entire universe just conspiring to weird me out today?

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Lilani said:
Oh my dear Bob, you think the "Gemini/incest" stuff is bad in this movie? Then you have never seen Aquarion. Brother and little sister are pilots of huge mechs, and the mechs become more powerful when they "merge" with each other and become a bigger robot Power Rangers style. Big brother is known as the best pilot in the land (of course) and little sister is sort of second-best, but she gets insanely jealous of anybody else who wants to "merge" with her brother. She goes on and on about how she wants to be the first to "merge" with him.

And to drive it all home, when they do merge it's apparently a very...stimulating experience, and every time the people merge in the show they moan in ecstasy and shout "So good!" And IIRC their clothes disappear for a moment while in transition. Yeah...

'The uploader has now made this video available in your country'

Why do I get the sense an invisible hand is guiding me against my bad decisions?

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
I first thought that the animated heroes were the guys from Gatchaman

maximara

Jul 13, 2008
GamemasterAnthony said:
Dear...

*long overdramatic pause*

...God.

Okay...usually when I see something in this vein, I usually talk about wanting whatever drugs they are on. This time...I think we should find out what drugs are involved and get rid of all supplies of it.

I am surprised he didn't do his "(Whatever) are Weird" routine as this certainly qualified.

Episode compilations are wonky enough (8 Man After, Armatage III, Casshan: Robot Hunter, etc ala Streamline Pictures aka Carl Macek) but when the source material is this weird...well we see the result.

On a scale of 1 to 10 this is a 12 on the weird-o-meter.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
109 said:
EEEEEEEEEEWWWWWW THEY'RE BROTHER AND SISTER MERGING THAT'S SO GROOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSS!

I've really had it up to here with prude Americans and their culture.

The thought that these people are at the helm of mainstream international culture is just sickening.

In other news: the idea of live action monster-puppets, toy vehicles and animated characters appearing onscreen at once is pretty darn genius.
Yeah. Incest is well, hey true love right?

<spoiler=it reminds me of that scene in Eurotrip which maybe NSFW><youtube=qrL-r_9WQ8I>
Lilani said:
Oh my dear Bob, you think the "Gemini/incest" stuff is bad in this movie? Then you have never seen Aquarion. Brother and little sister are pilots of huge mechs, and the mechs become more powerful when they "merge" with each other and become a bigger robot Power Rangers style. Big brother is known as the best pilot in the land (of course) and little sister is sort of second-best, but she gets insanely jealous of anybody else who wants to "merge" with her brother. She goes on and on about how she wants to be the first to "merge" with him.

And to drive it all home, when they do merge it's apparently a very...stimulating experience, and every time the people merge in the show they moan in ecstasy and shout "So good!" And IIRC their clothes disappear for a moment while in transition. Yeah...

the video is not available in my country! :(

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
I've seen some nonsensical stuff in my day. But that...that might just take the cake.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Its weird because I remember a movie (more than likely a cut together like this episode's) called 'Return of the Dinosaurs' that had a similar sort of mixture of miniatures, rubber suits and anime.

Okay still plenty of that classic Japanese sexism thing but 100% less incest subtext AND domestic abuse.

If nothing else, the way they imposed the animation over the models/toys was pretty cool in some scenes. And I'm a sucker for good stuff with miniatures.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
I didn't watch this movie thing...but I DID watch the original Japanese thing from which the parts were taken.

There was an actual Greek dub of it believe it or not. Do I get a hat-off or anything? :p

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
109 said:
EEEEEEEEEEWWWWWW THEY'RE BROTHER AND SISTER MERGING THAT'S SO GROOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSS!

I've really had it up to here with prude americans and their culture.

The thought that these people are at the helm of mainstream international culture is just sickening.

In other news: the idea of live action monster-puppets, toy vehicles and animated characters appearing onscreen at once is pretty darn genious.
Of all the things Americans are prudish about, you choose to pick on us for reactions to Japanese media? A culture which, for some reason or another, is keenly fascinated with brother/sister incestuous relationships? I mean I understand we're a bit more prudish than the rest of the world, but in this case I think it's a bit more justified than usual.

It's not even like they're trying to make a narrative point with it--I explained Aquarion earlier so I'll copy and paste it again for your enjoyment. Brother and little sister are pilots of huge mechs, and the mechs become more powerful when they "merge" with each other and become a bigger robot Power Rangers style. Big brother is known as the best pilot in the land (of course) and little sister is sort of second-best, but she gets insanely jealous of anybody else who wants to "merge" with her brother. She goes on and on about how she wants to be the first to "merge" with him.

And to drive it all home, when they do merge it's apparently a very...stimulating experience, and every time the people merge in the show they moan in ecstasy and shout "So good!" And IIRC their clothes disappear for a moment while in transition.

They aren't trying to make a sophisticated narrative point with this sort of thing--they just want to see how close they can get to erotica without crossing the line completely. And this is how a lot of Japanese media is. There's not much of a point to it, just fanservice and pushing the envelope as far as it will go. It's just incredibly awkward to me how much sexuality they cram into things that don't really have to be sexual. Like, yeah, everybody likes sex and it's important to being a human and all that, but does it really need to be all over our media? It's certainly not the only aspect of being human, and I wouldn't exactly call putting innuendo all over the place a poignant exploration of sexuality.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
*Speedclicks my Netflix shortcut and adds this shit to my DVD Queue*
Seriously, this looks too bad to NOT watch.

Hexenwolf

Sep 25, 2008
GEMINI!
You cannot save!
The human race!
Hahahahaha!

I literally burst out laughing so hard, that there is now spit all over my keyboard >.<

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
Jesus Christ...why do we not have more shows that look like this? So damn ridiculous it's just damn amazing...going to have to hunt this movie down for sure

Urh

Oct 9, 2010
Signa said:
All I can say is, at 3:14, it's pretty obvious even the Japanese think that all Asians look the same.
Yeah, because there was no such thing as a lazy and/or overworked animator back in the day...

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Urh said:
Signa said:
All I can say is, at 3:14, it's pretty obvious even the Japanese think that all Asians look the same.
Yeah, because there was no such thing as a lazy and/or overworked animator back in the day...
There's lazy and then there's Super Monsters. Showing the exact same person 15 times in a row is just begging to be made fun of.

ThePuzzldPirate

Oct 4, 2009
Master_of_Oldskool said:
"One of those things you saw as a kid and later thought you hallucinated." Thought that way about Beetlborgs until I came across its TvTropes article the other day.
...I don't know whether to thank you or hate you from reminding me this show existed. Watching this and crushing my child-hood asap.