The Big Picture: Stuperior

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Stuperior

MovieBob takes us into the controversy surrounding issue 700 of The Amazing Spiderman.

Watch Video

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
meh, give it a year and this whole thing will blow over. Poor Spidey just gets hammered by Marvel fanboys that are now editors

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Huh... have to say, I don't understand the uproar either, it does sound like a temporary thing that could turn out pretty interesting if done well.

Safaia

Sep 24, 2010
People are really pitching a fit over this? It sounds interesting to me. Do you think it's just fanboys holding One More Day over the writer?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Yeah I don't read comic books, but I bet this won't last long before they do the whole mental battle for control thing, Peter will win, and BAM, Peter Parker will be Spider-Man again. Either that or they'll contrive some other way to bring Peter back.

EDIT: You know what? I bet this is simply a case of "They changed it now it sucks."

Joriss

Dec 27, 2011
Bob should do an episode about a comic that isn't weird...at all!

Wait, is there such a comic?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
So overall you're not against the changed they did to the character and yet you named the episode title "Stuperior" (from the word stupid right)? I mean I assume you were against it base from the title.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
My big problem with 700 was Doc Ock's sudden change of heart. I have no anger towards the body swap because you are right its a comic book and it is weird and over the top and the status quo will eventually go back the way it was. Its also a great way to open up new and interesting stories. What I don't like is that just a few issues ago we have Doc Ock trying to destroy the world so that he would be remembered or something along those lines. Now he is going to be a good guy to end all good guys? It just doesn't feel right. He also does the whole 180 in like the last five pages. I would have felt different about it if this had happened slowly over the three issue arc. But thats it. Its comics and weird shit happens, deal with it. Also the issue of Avenging Spiderman that went along with this issue really shows opportunity for great opportunities. Lets hope Superior can continue this.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
First I heard it was the issue where Spider-Man dies... Which I think is stupid enough, because like EVERY superhero, they're just going to bring him back. Then I heard the thing about Doc Ock... Um... Okay, who comes up with this crap? Although the angle of having Doc Ock being a good guy is intriguing.

burymagnets

Nov 30, 2010
Wow, Bob is the first person I've heard talk about Superior Spider-Man in a considered way, and not just as some whinging fanboy.

Thank you Bob.

And thank you for having actually read Slott's (excellent) run on ASM, I wish other people would. :)

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
I still think this is stupid. The plot concept is stupid then they made a new comic series which isn't a new comic series which will only put more people off reading comics out of this. The characters motivations flick back and forth like a light switch it is mind blowingly bad writing and a great way to turn potential readers away from the medium.

Weird shit happens in comics I get that but don't label a huge mind fuck as a number 1 and toss people just dipping their toes waste deep in it.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Caffeine_Bombed said:
Didn't Spider-Man give birth to himself once?
Yes, it's hilariously stupid, just like this was. Poor Spidey has been subject to too many whinging fanboys who now abuse their status as Marvel writers

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
Yeah I don't read comic books, but I bet this won't last long before they do the whole mental battle for control thing, Peter will win, and BAM, Peter Parker will be Spider-Man again. Either that or they'll contrive some other way to bring Peter back.
Thats why i dont get why the fans are being pissy. If it sucks they can retcon it and if it doesnt they can run with it.

Oh, also...

EDIT: You know what? I bet this is simply a case of "They changed it now it sucks. [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheyChangedItNowItSucks]"
Thats how you do it.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
As a person interested in comics but by no means the money to collect them all,
I got really interested in this story line,

Any chance someone can mention what issue this arc supposedly starts in?
or what books to pick up?

I feel this might be a good point to get into The Amazing / Superior Spider-man now.

Azriel Nightshade

Jun 9, 2008
I have not problem when established things try and change the status quo. My ire only rises when it writing is bad. Slots last dozen issues were just bland at best and 698-700 were the most boring. I'm not gonna threaten to kill the man, it just think he's bad at his job. Now, Hawkeye by Matt Fraction. FUCKING GENIUS!
Side not, I re-read seven hundred with:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljw8FMz17og

Playing in the back ground. Made the thing WAY more enjoyable.

Andre Nilsson

May 31, 2011
wait Bob did you just say you like one more day? Ok you have to go to this site, http://www.spill.com/ or more accurate http://my.spill.com/profile/LEOGARCHIVE and listen to what day have to say.