The Big Picture: The Boot, Part Two

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Please, someone tell me what anime that image is from during the gargoyles segment. Guy with a sword in bamboo forest.

Also I really like the idea of a gargoyles reboot, and even the Harry Potter reboot has potential, but I'd prefer to see it as a recur, rather than a reboot. it is way too soon for people to accept anyone other than the actors/actresses who did the first one in the roles.

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
You have sound reasoning about Babylon 5, but I still think Deep Space Nine is better. I saw no Rene Auberjonois in Babylon 5.

Angel Molina

Mar 23, 2011
I hear mention of Gargoyles a lot of the time and how awesome it is, but I have never seen it for myself... Maybe I should give in and look for it, but I'm not sure where to start.

Angel Molina

Mar 23, 2011
spartan231490 said:
Please, someone tell me what anime that image is from during the gargoyles segment. Guy with a sword in bamboo forest.
I don't know the anime personally, but after looking around I think it might be Ninja scroll.

Anchupom

In it for the Pub Club cookies
Apr 15, 2009
Worgen said:
I'm a bit surprised you didn't mention mlp more considering friendship is magic is pretty much the most successful reboot of anything I can think of. It took something that was firmly entrenched in what was perceived as what young girls wanted to watch and turned it into something that goes way beyond its intended audience. It did the impossible, it made girl stuff cool.
You missed the point of these videos... He's not going over successful reboots, he's talking about franchises he'd like to SEE rebooted.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
piscian said:
Harry Potter, no not really. I actually feel like The first two were the strongest because they focused more on the books singularly and were so worried with the overall plot. Just wizard fun. 3 was boring 4 was meh and the rest were just telling the story that was full of holes I just didn't care about though I feel similarly about the books. I enjoyed reading the half-blood prince but the rest were a real slog to get through after 1&2. Edit: 4 was a pretty solid book too.
Never went anywhere!? The show was like a vortex of quantum particles channeled into a vacuum bombarded with anions

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
One of these days I'm going to have to try to watch Babylon 5 again. The first season pretty much killed my enthusiasm about that show(though my friend tells me it gets better).

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
I'd also be the first in line for a Babylon 5 reboot, best scifi series I've ever seen (and I have most of them). Only downside if the actors of G'Kar and Dr Franklin have passed away, and both of them were apart of the soul that made B5 what it is. However I'd still jump on the opportunity of seeing a good reboot, but it'd have to be Battlestar Galactica quality or better.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
I like some of your points bob, but I have to disagree largely on two that a lot of people are also harping on.

1. Harry Potter reboot - you mention a trilogy. Making the movies only hit the talking points would reduce each of the movies down to about an hour or less - and reducing the mythos would cut out a big part of the Harry Potter series. What makes the Harry Potter movies exceptional is that they convey and charactarize the characters with more than just action - the action points of the series being the weakest, with the exception of the final parts. Harry's skill never evolves much past "Expelliarmus" and "Stupify", making his fight scenes feel weak and soggy.

I think remakes are warranted - but I think thats mostly because 1, 2, 4, 5, and 7 Part 1 were both too long, and didn't convey enough. They felt like narrative dumps - spark notes, without the real feeling. 3 had an amazing art direction, 6 was a movie that showed that you didn't have to make Harry Potter about action to capitalize on the franchise, and 7 Part 2 was the big, expensive finale with lots of explosions. If Harry Potter WAS remade, I would have just expanded on the concepts of revealed at the midpoint of the 6th and 7th book, and expanded them. The book even felt rushed. "7 key objects we have to kill, some are already destroyed. We just happened to trip over the remaining few in the final acts." It stinks of lazy design, and I wouldn't mind a different variation on the canon to make it flow better.

2. The Simpsons. Look at the reboot of Ren and Stimpy. Enough said on that issue. The Simpsons, as a cultural icon, deserves a proper death and burial - not a rehash or reimagining. It worked best as a contemporary view of Americana during the 90's and millenium. A twisted look at family values. And even the Simpsons seems to have gotten off track. There are things that I think would work fine as just finished - not dug up and repurposed. The Simpsons is one of them. Family Guy was another series that probably should have stayed dead, but thats a different discussion

Deimir

Jul 3, 2008
Terragent said:
You know what science fiction TV series really needs a reboot? Blake's 7. You know, the one that was actually well-written but had every episode filmed in a gravel pit because the BBC doesn't have money? The one that did the whole "nuanced characters portrayed in shades of grey" a full decade before any of the American shows that get credited with the same decisions were even greenlit? The one that Firefly basically ripped off?

Oh wait, you've probably never seen it. What a pity.
While I'd love to see it, it's probably locked away in some BBC vault, never to see the light of day or a region-free DVD release. I'd also like to get my hands on seasons 3 through 6 of My Hero, but I don't see that happening any time soon either.

As to the video, was really glad to see Monster Squad in there. To this day I've still never seen Goonies, but I've had Monster Squad on VHS since I was 8.

Hyperactiveman

Oct 26, 2008
I really don't get what your stance on Harry Potter is Bob, I mean I get the whole "there is filler and then there is plot in each movie" but I can say that I can watch all HP movies in a row without feeling a sense of repetition or monotonousness within them.

There isn't a Quiddich match in each movie because that would be boring and they wouldn't have been able to find enough ways to change things around to make each match in each movie unique.

All disagreements aside I do however believe that Harry Potter could do with a reboot because the movies were too fast and skipped a lot of details the books had in them (explaining turns of events, inner monologues of characters, continuity, etc.)

So I would suggest an animated reboot (As awesome looking as Tin-Tin) be made which tell it like the books do and to combat the potential for boredom split the movies into parts and release them each as a series.

Also my suggestion for a reboot/sequel I would like to see would definitely be The Iron Giant. It's the perfect time for something like this to be added on to (We have better animation now). Plus the 'guns kill' topic has never been hotter.

The Ubermensch

Mar 6, 2012
I don't know about the rest of that but Babylon 5 needs to be rebooted... that and Fire Fly.

How could Fire Fly not be number one on that list?

Alar said:
I wonder how Harry Potter would as a TV series... hell, even a cartoon? They'd be able to fully flesh them out the way they were meant to, throwing in ALL the details from the books (and possible some more if they got J.K. Rowling in on it), and it could probably get a decent run. I, for one, would actually be quite interested in something like that.

EDIT: I want to expand on this a little bit. If they did get Rowling in, they could add all sorts of things not in the movies or the books. What were the Weasleys doing in the summer when not in the book? What other things happened at school? Hagrid? Etc.?

I could see each book being maybe 10-12 episodes if they managed to work it right with enough content, otherwise less. Maybe 6-8. If MLP is any example of how huge a cartoon can be (and how good), then I think something with an established setting and fanbase would have a chance to do the same.

Plus, if I'm not getting my Magical World Encyclopedia, I want something else than that website she came up with.
I like this idea, but the adaptation should be done by Shinichir&#333; Watanabe, the guy who did Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo.

Westernised cartoons that go for about a 7 season run and have teenage characters in them have the stigma of being aimed at children. If it's anime then we get writers and studios that are not only willing but want to explore the darker themes.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
muffinatorXII said:
orangeapples said:
I know a lot of people who would sit down for a full 8 movie Harry Potter marathon. I've been to a few myself and I'm not even a Potter Superfan or anything.

.....that's like 20 hours. that's insane. i seriously SERIOUSLY doubt anyone would do that, regardless of the amount they care about the films.

I think you greatly underestimate fans. In the past I've bought a game, got it home and played it for 30+ hours to completion. When you are invested, you have no idea how much time passes.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
5) Never saw it, so whatever.

4) I have a stronger appreciation for filler than most, seeing it as not only needed downtime to cool down from various story beats, but as a necessity to make characters seem less like tropes and more like humans. As such I hate the idea of condensing the books even further for people that just want to get the big battles and go home. The movies needs some work to avoid some of the frantic re-insertion of characters and plot bits, but I refer Harry haing time to feel like a person, not just someone walking the steps of a hero's journey.

3) Like Gummi Bears last week, another series that makes me ask "why isn't this in Kingdom Hearts yet" a lot. Given how many f these serialized cartoons are biting the dust right now though, I'd prefer to avoid this as to avoid seeing it get canned in a season.

2) Part of me sees this as a show that mostly did a good job at a multi season story and doesn't want to touch it. The rest of me knows how rough around the edges it is in a lot of places. Like HP, this is another show however that I'd hate to see condensed to film. If the allegory was Battlestar Galactica not Star Trek, I'd be on board, but as it stands, B5 has had more than one attempt to re-capture the magic with some piss poor results. Let's not tempt fate.

1) The Simpsons is not something that will be allowed to end until one of the 4 major voice actors that do 80% of the cast passes on. You might get away with replacing Yeardley Smith with a good sound a like, but the others are too much hassle. After that, after a decade, I'd say it'd be time for a Simpsons re-do, but I'd ask at this time to do the one thing the current show won't: let the characters grow. The re-boots you flash work due to distance of time, and acknowledgement that some of the attitudes and tropes at the time were holding things back a bit, and that like other factors, the Simpsons would be better served without the weekly reset button.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
I'm perplexed, my reaction to this list was, "what? What?? What?! WHAT?!? WHY?!?!" which is totally the opposite of my reaction to the first one. Either you've changed since then or I have Bob.

Kelgair

May 20, 2012
I would love to see a reboot of Gargoyles. Babylon 5 would be more iffy for me, I'm not sure I could picture a G'kar that doesn't have Andreas Katsulas under the makeup.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
AdmiralCheez said:
Babylon 5 could benefit from just having an upgrade of their CGI. The other show aspects, the writing, costuming, and acting, still hold up in my opinion. But the CGI? The starship battles, the establishing shots, the scenery? They unfortunately didn't age that well. A few years ago, when someone I knew was watching it for the first time, said they thought the show was intercut with scenes from an early PS2 game.

Well, I suppose you could reboot the entire series from scratch, and give it the ol' BSG treatment. The fifth season did seem to suffer from the whole "Wait, we actually weren't cancelled?" thing.
That's why you don't watch the 5th season. You watch the 5th season's finale instead of season 4's finale, and you get the show that was meant to be watched.

I made that mistake years ago when I first watched it. I rewatched it last year, and my lasting impression of the show shot through the roof by watching it the proper way.

OT: The only one I really agree with in this set is Bab5. As long as it could be guaranteed all 4 seasons, and every episode was spent retelling the story properly instead of a few filler episodes and some condensed main arcs at the end of each season, I could see it being worth a reboot.

HP I'd also go for if it was a TV show. It could actually survive now as one methinks. Take the time to tell all the bits and pieces that got cut from the books, because 3-6 lost a lot of content.

Monster Squad could get a modern sequel, with the kids being adults or something, but I think the movie was solid enough as it was in the 80's, and remaking it now would undoubtedly take away a lot of its campiness.

Simpsons, what? It's not even over, and the writing teams have switched up enough over the years. It needs to die and be buried before we can start thinking about a reboot. It does need to be rebooted at some point, or just reformulated considering its current state. It's breaking its own continuity by being on the air so long. When I watched it, Homer grew up in the 70's, now it's the 90's.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Monster Squad really is a cool concept. I'd love to see it done.

I want and expect a Harry Potter reboot, but I don't think I'd enjoy the journey as much as a trilogy. In fact, I want more content. Someone suggested a series, and...Wait, let me snag the post.

Alar said:
I wonder how Harry Potter would as a TV series... hell, even a cartoon? They'd be able to fully flesh them out the way they were meant to, throwing in ALL the details from the books (and possible some more if they got J.K. Rowling in on it), and it could probably get a decent run. I, for one, would actually be quite interested in something like that.

EDIT: I want to expand on this a little bit. If they did get Rowling in, they could add all sorts of things not in the movies or the books. What were the Weasleys doing in the summer when not in the book? What other things happened at school? Hagrid? Etc.?

I could see each book being maybe 10-12 episodes if they managed to work it right with enough content, otherwise less. Maybe 6-8. If MLP is any example of how huge a cartoon can be (and how good), then I think something with an established setting and fanbase would have a chance to do the same.

Plus, if I'm not getting my Magical World Encyclopedia, I want something else than that website she came up with.
I think a 6-8 episode run would work for each book. The events are often episodic enough to work in and of themselves and have continuity. Doing digital or animation would deal with the aging of the kids. The only real flaw I see is that it would probably be considered too small in scope to justify.

I'd settle for splitting the movies in two. I was for this idea before the last movie did it, though it puzzles me that they didn't feel they could cut out 80% of the Deadly Camping Trip. Most of the books have solid stopping points in the middle, and we now know two-parters will sell.

Back on topic...

Gargoyles...FUCK. YEAH.

Babylon 5...Eh...I'm not sure I want to see this rebooted. It had its problems that could be mended, but...I think it's good enough.

The Simpsons reboot might not be a bad idea, but I emphasise "might." Nobody really intended Bugs Bunny to be a multi-generational character either.

I expected to disagree more. Weird.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Terragent said:
You know what science fiction TV series really needs a reboot? Blake's 7. You know, the one that was actually well-written but had every episode filmed in a gravel pit because the BBC doesn't have money? The one that did the whole "nuanced characters portrayed in shades of grey" a full decade before any of the American shows that get credited with the same decisions were even greenlit? The one that Firefly basically ripped off?

Oh wait, you've probably never seen it. What a pity.
The big question with that; who would play Avon?

I mean Paul Darrow is some perfect mix of smug magnificence that I simply cannot pin down a modern contemporary for.

As for Babylon 5.....well......

It ended in such a meaningful and beautiful way that I feel rebooting it would be....wrong. perhaps instead of hanging on to J.M.S. work, we should let someone else's great sci fi vision come to pass. Perhaps we'll speak their names with the same character reverence as we do for B5's legendary team.