The Big Picture: Tooned Out

ex275w

Mar 27, 2012
The Mortal Kombat cartoon and the Double Dragon are the worst video game cartoons, IMO. Especially the Double Dragon one with its blatant toyetic content and a episode that says NO to drugs. Mortal Kombat is funny because all characters are in their mid-life crisis and are absolute assholes quoting Jax: "Funny, coming from a loser who got her partner killed."

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I never heard of the Darkstalkers cartoon, but there's a pretty good OVA anime series out there as well.

Smolderin

Feb 5, 2012
Oh my god Bob, what have you wrought!? I could have gone my entire life without having to see that DarkStalkers cartoon. I mean that kid....Oh my god that kid! *random hot cat girl in his room....tells her to get out* What? What?! WHAT?!

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Ho-ly shit, I completely forgot Darkstalkers was a thing, and it was a thing that I tried watching.

It made zero sense and I remember that kid being incredibly annoying.

I kinda wish that wasn't brought back to my attention. :/

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
themilo504 said:
Wait they made a child friendly darkstalker cartoon? That?s like making a child friendly shin megami tensei game o wait they already did that um it?s like making a child friendly highlander cartoon what do you mean they also did that? What?s next a Rambo cartoon ?o wait that also exists?.did television producers have any shame In the 80 and 90?
They made a cartoon out of Toxic Avenger... Toxic Avenger!! That has to be one of the less child-friendly properties of the 80s.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Hah. Now I actually want to check out the Darkstalkers cartoon.

And next week is the Power Team. Celestia help us all.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Right Hook said:
Kid telling the hot cat-lady to get the hell out of his room? Alpha as fuck.
No, no, no
I figured Harry out
He is gay
That would totally explain his behavior

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
o.0

No mention of Double Dragon? really? that one was WORSE the Dark Stalkers or Street Fighter by miles.

also

Power Team eh? I remember that not being bad .... but then, I was rather young >.>

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Good Lord, there actually was an american Darkstalkers show?, I remember watching a few episodes of the anime and it was pretty awesome, but this... this... I don't even...

And what a teaser you got there Bob, I can't wait for next week :D

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
The US Street Fighter cartoon was universally despised? I dunno, I watched it when I was in the 12-14 range and enjoyed it for what it was. Maybe I need to watch it again. There were some hammy moments, of course, but Street Fighter itself is hammy.

Kind of surprised Bob didn't bring up Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm, but that's one I kind of enjoyed too. Except for the whole, Nightwolf stays in and takes care of the computers, thing.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
So many bad cartoons...

Need... good cartoons...

Kuomon said:
Is it the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon? Or is that considered good?
No, he already had an episode on it.

Besides, it isn't a VIDEO game.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Chessrook44 said:
Mojo said:
This may be due to the fact that I was like between 6 or so during the time, but I remember liking the sonic cartoon. Even though I never liked the games that much. Not gonna try and watch this now... I know it will suck in retrospect, nostalgia be damned.
WHICH Sonic cartoon? I think there were two of them... one bad one, one good one. Least that's what I heard.
There have been 4 in North America to date.

Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog: Based around Sonic 2 With Sonic and Tails and was largely slapstick and silly. Take Looney Toons but replace Bugs Bunny with Sonic.

Sonic the Hedgehog (aka Sonic SatAM): Much more serious and deals with the Freedom Fighters and Robotnik (yes, robotnik, this is pre Sonic Adventure) actually being a threat.

Sonic Underground: Along the darker vein of Sonic SatAM but Sonic and his two siblings (names Sonya and Manik) who are the future rulers of Mobius and separated at birth due to a prophetic vision of doom. Reunited, they search for their mother (the overthrown queen) to remove Robotnik from power and restore the world. Apart from Sonic and Robotnik, there's nothing linking the series to the game.

Sonic X: A translated anime that is more tightly tied to the modern games. No Mobius, the characters (at least the anthro ones and Eggman) all mesh to either the games or the comics and the story relates to if not directly copies from the modern sonic titles.

Personally, I like all of them. Granted AoStH is far and away different from SatAM, but they weren't meant to be the same story anyways. The only common theme in all of them was Sonic and Friends vs. Robotnik and each had their own way with dealing with it.

Nicole Maronn

Nov 22, 2012
Dang it MovieBob, you're making me remember all those shows! While most of them where around before I was old enough to watch them, I do remember that Darkstalkers cartoon very well: holy hell was it bad! I also remember Sonic as well, but I mostly watched The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog (SatAM and Underground I never saw). TAoSH was cheesy, but I enjoyed it as a kid, same with the The Super Mario Super Show as well. Can't wait to hear next week's episode, Power Hour gonna get roasted!

Ken_J

Jun 4, 2009
Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:
Holy hell those are scary.

As soon as Bob started playing the Felicia clips, I was yelling NO! YOU DO NOT REACT THAT WAY to the kid.

Oh and one last thing....

[sub/]do you have battletoads[/sub]
you clever bastard

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Company's in the 90's were so stupid. I mean EA today might be greedy but they at least know who they're marketing to and how to get their interests. These company's just wasted their marketing potential with these go no where spin off cartoons shoved off on C rate cartoon producers JEEZ! One day there will be video games movie/cartoon era like the 90's were to comic book cartoons and 2000's have been for comic book movies, where studio's and their IP company's realize that they need to actually put alot of effort into their spin off material if they want it to grow their IP's profile and NOT damage it.