The Big Picture: Turtle Maki

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
MovieBob said:
"Money making toy line"

Oh yeah! ^^​

OT: If anything, this anime is an interesting 'remix' of Eastern themes through a Western filter (as in the TMNT being an American IP about ninjas) then this Western/Eastern mix filtered back through an Eastern point of view.
Kinda makes it Eastern/Western/Eastern mix.

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
Pretty much expected after last weeks, but interesting. I do not feel my time was wasted.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Jbird said:
Congratulations, Escapist community. You've now completed the ThatGuyWithTheGlasses.com [http://thatguywiththeglasses.com] entry course.

You can further your quest into obscurity by visiting that site, where everything has already been uncovered there, instead of waiting for MovieBob to copy it.
..... Are you implying Nostalgia Critic is better then MovieBob? At least Bob wasn't born a rip off, he actually started off uniquely, when compared to how Nostalgia Critic got his run.

Oh, right, the video. I really didn't care.... Seriously, it was just boring this week.

krellen

Unrepentant Obsidian Fanboy
Jan 23, 2009
Jbird said:
Congratulations, Escapist community. You've now completed the ThatGuyWithTheGlasses.com [http://thatguywiththeglasses.com] entry course.

You can further your quest into obscurity by visiting that site, where everything has already been uncovered there, instead of waiting for MovieBob to copy it.
Point of contention: The Nostalgia Critic pisses me off (he spends most of his time stomping on nostalgia, belittling those of us that actually remember and love it for being the schlock it was) whereas MovieBob tends to have a more nuanced and honest view on the nostalgia, recognising it as schlock but then proceeding to acknowledge that sometimes schlock is what you want.

Except when it comes to movies, but I expect my movie critic to actually be a snob.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
Well Now that were even with japan, I can go along knowing that the speed racer anime was just retribution for TMNT

Avistew

Jun 2, 2011
I have three brothers and we each had a Turtle costume. I was Michelangelo.
That anime looks pretty weird. Seeing human faces on the turtle is odd, but the weirdest thing is feeling like you're watching the regular animated series, and then Shredder looks completely different. I wasn't sure if it really was him for a moment.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Why did you have to bring up Next Mutation?!?!?! WHY?!?!?! I had all but forgotten its existance until now! :((((

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
krellen said:
The Nostalgia Critic pisses me off (he spends most of his time stomping on nostalgia, belittling those of us that actually remember and love it for being the schlock it was)...
You do realize that it's all for the sake of entertaining, right? No one is telling you to stop liking something you enjoyed as a kid. And last time I checked, NC would go on to mention how fun some of the bad movies are. Movie Bob is no different than NC, or even Cinema Snob, in my opinion. They all just have different ways of entertaining people.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
lord.jeff said:
And someone did it before him, it's a about a fifteen year old animation hundreds of poeple probably did it by now, plus the big picture has a whole bunch of topics that Nostalgia Critic never touched.
I don't recall mentioning Nostalgia Critic. I only brought up TGWTG because there are a lot more people on there aside from the Critic who talk about obscure things, like the TMNT anime.

Camaranth

Feb 4, 2011
"Just go with it" when you think about it a little that pretty much sums up TMNT in general.

I started watching the 2003 version not to long ago (in french so I could practice) and it really is just a weird concept, and yet awesome.

Y'know how people say (at least people I know) that you're favourite turtle was a reflection of your personality, what does it mean if you were always torn between two of them?

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Aprilgold said:
Jbird said:

..... Are you implying Nostalgia Critic is better then MovieBob? At least Bob wasn't born a rip off, he actually started off uniquely, when compared to how Nostalgia Critic got his run.
And he has admitted that he never knew he was ripping off AVGN. And then there's the fact that nothing is original.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Jbird said:
lord.jeff said:
And someone did it before him, it's a about a fifteen year old animation hundreds of poeple probably did it by now, plus the big picture has a whole bunch of topics that Nostalgia Critic never touched.
I don't recall mentioning Nostalgia Critic. I only brought up TGWTG because there are a lot more people on there aside from the Critic who talk about obscure things, like the TMNT anime.
Jbird said:
lord.jeff said:
The point is this is a case of "The Simpsons did it" of course someone did this before TMNT is very popular like I said hundreds of web people have covered the Japanese turtles by now and in the age of the internet the whole he did it first thing is almost completely unavoidable.

uberhippy

Apr 28, 2011
Oh Bob, after a long hard, tiresome Tuesday, you always manage to put a smile on my face.
Thank you Bob Chipman, thank you most sincerly :)

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
Wow, the Shredder looked TERRIBLE in those things.
Agreed and the weird thing is he's the only one with a huge change to his character too. The turtles, Master Splinter, April all look like they just got cut and pasted into the new OVA's. The magical faries seem strange but considering the other things that happen in the video's those two aren't so odd.

I gotta admit, I knew nothing about this before seeing this clip so it was nice to see another view of the TMNT series as a whole. :D

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
I'm pretty sure if I saw this in TMNT ala Infinite Crisis I'd be annoyed severely due to them being just powered up versions of the 1990's TMNT kids show.

commasplice

Dec 24, 2009
WAITWAITWAITWAIT

Those toys are rare? As in "worth money"? FUCK. I know for a fact that I had the Raphael one, but it's either lost in a box with all of my old toys or given away to charity :<