The Big Picture: Wunderpants - Wonder Woman's New Clothes

cannedfury

Aug 22, 2009
Personally I like the jacket and pants look. Skimpy costumes look very different between drawn mediums and real life like Batman in bright blue tights. There is also the practical aspect where being more covered and padded is easier on the stuntwoman and might just lead to better fight scenes.

But the jacket and pants do clash with the image she's meant to evoke and there have been better alternatives over the years. Namely the armored looks where as long as it looks quasi-ancient with red and gold, looking distinct next to other heroes won't be a problem. And also more convincingly mythical than a red and blue swimsuit. Something protective looking that at least covers the elbows and knees for tumbling would be my ideal.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
speaking from the position of a martial artist. This fixation on clothes like they offer that much protection is odd. most martial artists where whats comfortable and practical and some fo the things that people espouse like jackets and blue jeans are NOT that practical.

Blue jeans have a poor range of motion are infexible and dont really do what you want them to when you need them to do that. You often have to keep your hips sunk fairly low to keep them from falling or being pushed down by the bodies movement. Also as a biker I would NEVER fight in my leather jacket. its too heavy like a weighted training suit and my muscles would tire too easily.

Trust me the way wonderwoman dresses is just fine. its not like spandex that the old heroes used to wear was equivilent to kevlar or whatever. you feel the punch just as well as though you are naked but on the upside you have a full range of motion.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
Those jackets do look terrible. The pants look worse than the panties but not bad really. Now they just need to get Gal Gadot to actually eat something for once so she will look like wonder woman.

ZexionSephiroth

Apr 7, 2011
Pants are terrible... Bare legs are terrible... Dresses look terrible... Why doesn't anyone try something else?

Try hotpants and thigh high stockings, they look amazing and blend attitude with femininity without reducing appeal.

Add some fingerless gloves that extend to the upper arm and suddenly its perfect.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
All I can think.

If they do Wonder Woman like in those clips Bob showed, she'll be good.

I don't care about the costume. She'll likely be little more than a cameo, so we probably won't get much character out of this. But if they get her skill, strength, and general persona down, this will be a good outing for Wonder Woman.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Yeah, I don't think the jacket is a particularly good idea, but I don't mind the pants. Personally I think sexualization has more to do with how the character behaves than how the character is dressed.

Grace_Omega

Dec 7, 2013
I gotta say I actually really liked that jacket design for the character. Or at least, I really liked that one promotional image that Bob was showing, her actual appearances in the comic varied wildly by artist.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
Love the jacket. It works perfectly with the rest of the costume as it was designed. There's nothing out of place about it.

The real problem? The design itself. It doesn't say "Wonder Woman, Greek Warrior of Amazonia" to me. In fact it kind of reminds me of what Wonder Girl might wear, being more in line with an outfit that was inspired by Wonder Woman.

I also like Injustice's design as well, but I find myself preferring how they portrayed her in the Justice League: War movie:

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Darth_Payn said:
All this talk of the jacket got me thinking this should calm everybody down:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3MExgf6mwdU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>
I'll be back when I have something more intelligent and relevant to the "Wonder Woman costume and sexual implications thereof" issue, because right now, nothing really comes to mind yet.

EDIT: Oh, for fuck's sake, why did the YouTube video for "Jacket" not get embedded?!
To embed videos in the forums, type out the YT link within a pair of "" brackets and get rid of the 'www.' and '.com/watch?v' portion. Quote me to see the syntax of this embed:

<youtube=3MExgf6mwdU>

Jan 27, 2011
Wait, people give a shit if she has pants or not? 0_o

Maybe it's just because I'm not a comic fan, but I don't get it. It's just pants.

I mean, I'm a bit irritated with the new design they're giving Knuckles in the new sonic TV show, since he looks overly beefy and makes me think they'll make him a totally brinless beefstick, but that's a total redesign.

Pants....doesn't exactly change much...

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
I think the discussion of whether this will be a disaster is already over. They've already selected a waif for the role. If you can look at Gal Gadot and tell me seriously that she belongs in the role of wonderwoman, I will eat any article of clothing you have. Even the unsavory ones.

Jesse Eissenberg doesn't belong in the role of Wolverine (and you know what, he shouldn't be Lex Luthor, either, but that's for another discussion). We can say that. That's okay to say.

But it's not okay to say this, though, is it? "Gal Gadot should not be Wonderwoman." I'm okay saying that. But it's not okay to say that, is it?

Paul Giamotti should not play f'ing BLADE at this juncture. I don't know... maybe don't cast Nightwing as Sean Bean.

Maybe somatotrophism isn't the worst thing in the world, when applied to FICTIONAL,NEVER HAVE EXISTED, NEVER WILL EXIST CHARACTERS.

I just expect a little more "umph" to someone who is capable of taking supes in a fistfight. Skinny chicks get enough roles. Let this one go to a girl who's eaten a sandwich this year.

Call me crazy.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Alarien said:
snip... DC's problem has always been that their characters have been about as dull as dishwater.
DC's flagship characters maybe.

The secondary heroes, Animal Man, Hitman, Doom Patrol, Amanda Waller, Moon Knight, The Question, the Hal Jordan and Oliver Queen team-up, Booster Gold and Blue Beetle (just Ted Kord) are far more interesting than Marvel's angsty teenagers.

I haven't really read Marvel since Kraven's Last Hunt though.

Oh and lets not forget that DC has the better villain roster, and geniuses like Ostrander knew how to use them, even the goofy ones like Captain Boomerang, to great effect. Suicide Squad had a lasting effect on DC villains.

MovieBob... Animal Man, Margaret Attwood... Respect!

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
PhiMed said:
I think the discussion of whether this will be a disaster is already over. They've already selected a waif for the role. If you can look at Gal Gadot and tell me seriously that she belongs in the role of wonderwoman, I will eat any article of clothing you have. Even the unsavory ones.

Jesse Eissenberg doesn't belong in the role of Wolverine (and you know what, he shouldn't be Lex Luthor, either, but that's for another discussion). We can say that. That's okay to say.

But it's not okay to say this, though, is it? "Gal Gadot should not be Wonderwoman." I'm okay saying that. But it's not okay to say that, is it?

Paul Giamotti should not play f'ing BLADE at this juncture. I don't know... maybe don't cast Nightwing as Sean Bean.

Maybe somatotrophism isn't the worst thing in the world, when applied to FICTIONAL,NEVER HAVE EXISTED, NEVER WILL EXIST CHARACTERS.

I just expect a little more "umph" to someone who is capable of taking supes in a fistfight. Skinny chicks get enough roles. Let this one go to a girl who's eaten a sandwich this year.

Call me crazy.
Eh, skinny girls can put on muscle. Compare Linda Hamilton in Terminator to Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2. That kind of physical presence, while still not super muscular would be sufficient I think.

That said, I too would prefer WW to be a physically larger woman, that said I thought Morrena Baccarin was very good casting when that was the rumour.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Likes women in jackets... feels bad now. THANKS BOB!

But I have always been a strongly against the lazy censoring, thus equals we don't have to do any more work today boys thing. Id take a deep floozy over a shallow girl next door personally.

Also which cartoon is that, there's a quite a few out there before I could potentially find it, is it just about Wonder Woman or is it a Young Justice kinda schtick?

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
Andrew Siribohdi said:
Bob sez, "Jacket off".

...Wait, that came out wrong.

I agree with you, Bob. But I do think pants means there one step in the right direction in making Diana into a character.
She's a character whether or not she wears pants.

Pants are just a little more sensible in her line of work (realistically speaking).

Deimir

Jul 3, 2008
Well I'm off to watch Fast & Furious 5 and 6, and apparently Knight And Day, so I can get acquainted with this actress and maybe weigh in on the discussion the next time it (inevitably) is going to come up.

On the topic of the costume, I don't care what it looks like. If I can see a screencap and say "Hey, it's Wonder Woman!" then everything is fine. Bonus points if it looks like something someone could actually move and fight in, though we are talking about a comic book character here.

Satosuke

Dec 18, 2007
piscian said:
hmm. Is emphasis of sexuality pro-feminism or sexist? Gauh I don't know. It's so personal. For me I lean towards de-emphasis and blurring the lines of the sex's. In other words putting a woman in a military uniform doesn't make her more manly it just makes everyone more the same.

When I think about it no matter how hard I try I can't take power girl seriously. She'll always just be a set of boobs. Wonderman gets a break because she's just like this mom character. It's hard for me to see her as a sex object. Again this is all personal eye of the beholder stuff.

I prefer Wonderman in a suit. It's just more logical. I know she isn't really affected by weather but I just don't know any girls who spend all day like that so she doesn't relate like that anymore.

I also like the jacket.
I think emphasizing sexuality is entirely dependent on the intent and execution; Think Bayonetta vs. the sorceress from Dragon's Crown.

Bayonetta is a carefully crafted shot across the bow of the 'male gaze', since it's clear she dresses however the fuck she wants to because she likes it, and treats her weapons (phallic symbols) like disposable tools. And she's an interesting, well thought-out character.

The sorceress, however, has a tiny frame and gigantic boobs because...well, because boobs. There's no intent to her design other than 'lol big boobs are hawt'. Bayonetta's sex appeal is smart and empowering. the Sorceress is nothing but another shallow attempt to appeal to guys' boners.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
It's strange to me, but the debate on how a woman dresses seems pointless to, at least in places like America. This isn't the same era where Dick Van Dyke's wife, Laura, is considered super progressive because she is wearing pants. Pants don't mean anything. Plenty of women are happy not wearing pants at all. We live in a world that a person can essentially dress how they want so long as they are not offensive. Hey lady, you wanna wear a dress? Go for it. Hey dude, you wanna wear a dress? Go for it. Wonder Woman is fictional! If she wears pants or does not wear pants is meaningless. In the words of John Green, "Looking for truth in fiction does a disservice to fiction". It's made up, don't look for real world truths in it. If she does not wear pants, it isn't saying she is there for the sole purpose of putting another woman in a mans "spank bank". As an empowered woman, she can be sexual and strong if you want. Once again, fiction.

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
Honestly I'm more concerned about the actress/character than anything else, first they need to at least get THAT right and THEN we can focus on costumes.
I won't be able to make up my mind about what looks "good" until I actually see it in action.

The 2009 animated moviehas Wonder Woman rocking her original attire which was perfectly awesome (the one I prefer her wearing) but I don't know what will happen if that particular costume was brought to life.

This is the one I'm talking about: