The Big Picture: Wunderpants - Wonder Woman's New Clothes

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
Are we talking about trousers? I think she has worn pants in every incarnation of her costume. I personally like the idea of Wonder Woman wearing trousers as having so much exposed skin when fighting with swords is not a great idea. IT would be even better if they cast someone who looks like they could physically hold a sword as opposed to the current stick figure.

OctoberFox

Jul 17, 2013
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
I find those "Is the design of *insert random female character* sexist or empowering?" discussions mighty confusing a lot of the time. Like, I understand that having female characters who only have sex appeal going for them is something that bothers people; but at the same time you have characters like Bayonetta who are praised for how sexualized they are because there it's supposedly "ironic" or "empowering".
I agree. Strictly from my perspective it looks hypocritical at best. It was a woman that even praised Bayonetta at a women in video games panel featured here, and yet she's being propped up as a problem with the industry with an even more recent Feminist Frequency video. It's all cherry picking to me, and I think it's about wanting to have it both ways; the desire to be/experience/enjoy sexiness at odds with the desire to feed a victim complex.

Disclaimer: These are opinions based on facts, not facts based on opinions.

Brian Sperduto

Apr 1, 2010
Yea, the over-sexualization of women is media is something I don't particularly care for, but besides that a big problem I have with female characters being all skin and T&A is that it's the norm. Whenever you get a character with less revealing clothing it's like "Woah! When was the last time I saw that?" I think there should be room for female characters to be super sexy in popular media, but I also think there should be some balance so I don't just shake my head and groan whenever another nearly naked female super hero appears on screen in a butt pose. I like the pants outfit for WW almost purely because it's different (and it looks kind of cool besides). But otherwise I totally see the point about not wanting to make her too similar to the other characters, and this is likely to be entirely too gritty and dark, so a proper flashy female super hero costume would be nice (as long as they don't make her outfit even more revealing).

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
I like the pants and jacket look. It seems silly to enter combat in a swimming suit, and Wonder Woman's jacket isn't nearly as baggy and silly looking as the two examples Bob included. Ideally I'd like to see WW wearing amazon-inspired body armor that covers most of her skin, no bare shoulders or thighs.

Banzaiman

Jun 7, 2013
I'm with Bob in that the pants don't make that big of a difference. I can see both sides to the argument and the larger argument around that, but it really doesn't matter whether she's got that one-piece or a bustier and some trousers. The character herself is sort of beyond that, though there is something to be said if it's to preserve the desired modesty of the actress.

As for whether the movie's going to be good or not, I think the title is pretty telling. Someone's not thinking things through over there, and chances are it's going to show in the finished product.

EDIT: If anything, I'd go with pants just because of practicality. Lot easier to design a pair of those than design WW's original costume for a human body so that it doesn't quite fail.

SeeDarkly_Xero

Jan 24, 2014
"SUBMIT!"
and
"Jacket!"

Suddenly I understand what that Blink 182 album title was trying to tell us: "Stop dressing Wonder Woman badly."

jdarksun

Nov 3, 2003
youji itami said:
Nooners said:
Because I don't know, what are all those animated clips from? They look really, really good.

They are from.

Wonder Women
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonder_Woman_(2009_film)

Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justice_League:_Crisis_on_Two_Earths

Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman/Batman:_Apocalypse

There you go.
Just came in here to ask this - awesome, thanks!

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
RatGouf said:
And before someone could consider me a Hypocrite for my Favorite Female DC Character being The Cheetah from the animated series Justice League (Unlimited).... You know because She's nude minus nipples & vagina....
Ya know I always hated that (liked everything else ;))
Even the stupid DC reboot has her naked out some damn close on her! But you know what's strange(er)? In some solicits and covers her fury exterior appears to be a costume in and of itself (it has the same stupid seems that they seem to like) ad in the beginning it was :p

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
Spaceman Spiff said:
I like the pants and jacket look. It seems silly to enter combat in a swimming suit, and Wonder Woman's jacket isn't nearly as baggy and silly looking as the two examples Bob included. Ideally I'd like to see WW wearing amazon-inspired body armor that covers most of her skin, no bare shoulders or thighs.
doesn't greek/roman armour typically have the biceps and knees exposed anyway? That would be fine.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
The good thing about there being a subtitle for the Batman v Superman movie is that, if it ends up being a disappointment, we can just call it "Dawn of Justice". It's like just calling that game with Banjo, Kazooie, and car/boat/plane/helicopter building "Nuts & Bolts".

There's another factor of this debate to consider: clothing comfort. When I read the topic of this video, I immediately thought of the new Super Smash Bros bit of controversy around Samus wearing combat high-heel shoes. However useful they may be, between Samus knocking teeth out or Wonder Woman... swimming better or something, these clothing choices do not seem ergonomic. Running in high heels or skin-tight pants would be uncomfortable and thus debilitating in reality.

btbushi

Jul 8, 2009
V4Viewtiful said:
doesn't greek/roman armour typically have the biceps and knees exposed anyway? That would be fine.
Depends on the level of armor. I believe it was not uncommon for hoplites to wear leather bands over their arms or to have leather strips hanging from their breastplate to cover the biceps and greaves often include a protrusion to cover the kneecap. It's not an awful lot but it did happen. I believe the same thing would also apply to classic legionnaire's armor (though what auxiliaries would wear is completely unpredictable).

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
V4Viewtiful said:
The Jacket was/is Stupid.

I prefer the war skirt TBH.
I'm with this guy!

Also, god I hope they get Wonder Woman right....it would be so great to have a strong female character who is more than a pair of walking boobs.

Black Widow was AWESOME. Not just because Scarlett J. is the most beautiful woman in the world, but also because Black Widow used her sexuality as well as her guns. Simply as a weapon. Brilliant.

I hope Wonder Woman can be something as well. Not necessarily Black Widow, but a real character....PLEASE dont screw it up :|

Zombie Badger

Dec 4, 2007
thejboy88 said:
While the idea of seeing all of DC's big names on the big screen has it's appeal, I long ago resigned myself to the idea that (in Bob's own words) Warner Bros is just bad at making superhero movies that aren't entirely about Batman.
Batman was Nolan's baby, not Warner's.

In my opinion whether Wondie is wearing trousers or not is utterly irrelevant. Whether she's a feminist icon or wanking material depends entirely on how they frame her as a character. Mystique in Days of Future Past was a female character I could take seriously and root for and she walked around stark bullock naked for much of it; Secretary is about Maggie Gyllenhaal pursuing a life of being tied up and spanked by James Spader but it's framed as her pursuing her dreams in the face of opposition and (ironically) taking control of her life and it works as fun female empowerment piece.

The real question here is do you trust Snyder to portray Wondie well? Because after Sucker Punch I'm not optimistic.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
All this talk of the jacket got me thinking this should calm everybody down:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3MExgf6mwdU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>
I'll be back when I have something more intelligent and relevant to the "Wonder Woman costume and sexual implications thereof" issue, because right now, nothing really comes to mind yet.

EDIT: Oh, for fuck's sake, why did the YouTube video for "Jacket" not get embedded?!

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
Meh, the traditional costume of wonder woman is just impractical and stupid. She doesn't look like a superhero, she looks like a stripper. It's about time they give her some clothes, Love the jacket and love the pants.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
V4Viewtiful said:
I agree, a bit of bicep/elbow and knee wouldn't be bad.

As she's usually depicted, totally exposed from the neck to the forearm and from the crotch to the shin is just silly, even she is largely invulnerable (I don't know the full extent of her powers). I don't know how she doesn't pop out of her top when running/fighting/whatever.

A quick google turned this up:
I quite like the third one, as a starting point at least. Maybe go with boots instead of sandals.

Dandres

Apr 7, 2013
I do not care how they dress her. I just wish Joss Whedon was directing her movie. I all ready have bet going that even though there is all this hype about WW, she will only get a cameo in the BvS DJ movie maybe a few lines.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Not at all being a comic book guy, I'll be honest I think Wonder Womans outfits look great. Why can't she have more than one, cold days are her jacket and tights days and hot being her short shorts. Also those scenes from a animated movie/show look great too. Why is DC and WB so desperate to make a live action movie? Does a movie having a bloated budget and with live grossly overpayed actors add some sort of legitimacy more than a animated movie?

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Gizen said:
I actually liked the stupid jacket. >.>
I like a good jacket, myself, but on Wonder Woman specifically, ehh. As Bob was saying about the pants, adding the jacket kinda makes her have a less unique at-a-glance look. I mean, casual street jacket is Black Canary's thing. Is Diana taking fashion advice from her now? Or did she just decide she wanted more loose material around for bad guys to grab onto?

Just doesn't work for me. I don't see a reason for it to be there. *shrug*