The Biggest Hoax Of All Time?

Uncompetative

Jul 2, 2008
Ok. I just think it is a bad idea that we let half the Tropical Rain Forest get cut down, to be turned into grazing for cattle to be turned into cheap hamburgers. I like trees (which reduce Carbon Dioxide), I don't like McDonalds (who force you out of their "restaurants" as soon as you have eaten your meal - no time for any civilized chit-chat).

Undeadpope

Feb 4, 2009
I don't see why it matters,we pollute its not good for the environment its doesnt matter what it does,if its does something bad,than its bad no matter what you call it and really we should'nt be agruing over what it is,that just seem like an attempt to find something other than develop more eco friendly ways of producing alot of stuff(and replacing that which cannot be produce eco-friendly).Not to say this would be an easy task,but than again hopefully I am wrong and we are just too lazy to do a little work,just wait the oil,coal etc run out than it will either finally begin using clearer sources or nuclear engry,than they will pretend they are focused on being eco-friendly than hopefully a trend in demand will start.

"hopefully" maybe I am misplacing this hope,but without this hope the future holds little hope within its self.

cuddly_tomato

Nov 12, 2008
bad rider said:
Good point, however can you prove that global warming exsists without using correlation graphs. It implys causation without proof. (Sorry it just seems thats where your arguement is coming from.)
What we can prove, right now, are the following things:-

1. Carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas, traps heat in the atmosphere, and causes planets to heat up.

2. Atmospheric and oceanic carbon dioxide on earth is increasing at a massive rate due to human activity.

3. The earths temperature has risen by half a degree in the past 50 years.

Those are established facts. In my mind, we don't really need any more to start acting on this.

bad rider

The prodigal son of a goat boy
Dec 23, 2007
cuddly_tomato said:
bad rider said:
Good point, however can you prove that global warming exsists without using correlation graphs. It implys causation without proof. (Sorry it just seems thats where your arguement is coming from.)
What we can prove, right now, are the following things:-

1. Carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas, traps heat in the atmosphere, and causes planets to heat up.

2. Atmospheric and oceanic carbon dioxide on earth is increasing at a massive rate due to human activity.

3. The earths temperature has risen by half a degree in the past 50 years.

Those are established facts. In my mind, we don't really need any more to start acting on this.
Again I reiterate, I feel more needs to be done to prove causation. Lets not fall folley to classical conditioning.

goater24

Feb 5, 2008
Is the hoax the entire post by 'thelivingdaylights' or am I reading this all wrong? Because if I am, then your as bad as some of the other crazies I have seen posting on here.

Have people lobbied you to post this? Do you have shares in some big companies? Because either you've thought of a real funny way of getting a massive thread going or your bonkers.

EDIT: Please let it be known that I'm not exactly 'a friend of the earth' but I'm not naive to the fact s that our pollution is responsible for the destuction of it!

BBLIZZARD

Jun 19, 2008
Global Warming is a natural process, I agree. But as a rule of thumb, the less toxic pollution pounded into the atmosphere, the better.

SquirrelPants

Dec 22, 2008
Global Warming is happening, there's no doubt. But the thing is, that's been happening for a long time. Y'know, I'm gonna avoid my usual long-windedness and just say that I agree with the OP.

Minimike3636

Mar 29, 2009
Okay, I didn't bother to read other comments since they were so long, so I can't be sure if this has been pointed out yet...

THIS IS A HOAX. (And Al Gore just wants attention)

There was a video on YouTube posted shortly after "An Inconvenient Truth" by an experienced group of scientists. I cannot remember its exact name, but these scientists PROVED that more CO2 and other "harmful gases" were being released into the atmosphere by dying vegetation and active volcanoes than just about the entire human population. But are we helping global warming? Even if we are, then it is by a very pitiful amount. And don't say "Oh, well, a 1 degree Celsius increase could..." blah blah blah. I know someone already said this; the world cools down after its warms up, even to the point that an Ice Age begins. Ice Ages occur on their own, as do warming trends, and IT'S NOT OUR FAULT. We can't stop an Ice Age, so why try to stop the heat?

One more thing...
Is Global Warming happening? --- Sure.
Is it our fault? --- Don't be an idiot.

RetiarySword

Apr 27, 2008
TheLivingDaylights said:
Okay Escapists, I'm going to sit you all down for a little chat about something called the Terra-Thermal Cycle. I'm sorry? Does that not ring any bells? Fine, I'll refer to it by the term fear-mongering slugs use. Global Warming. I have tolerated it for a little bit, but at this point I've had enough! For all reading this, the lie ends here!

Now, I'm not denying the Earth is getting warmer. Neither am I saying that pollution has had no effect on the planet. But saying that carbon dioxide is somehow directly causing the Earth's increased temperature is total bullshit. You see, this concept was invented by shadowy money-grubbers such as Al Gore. To people like him, the environment is so destroyed that the only possible solution is to reinvent one of Earth's most ancient and natural cycles into a doomsday clock. Not only that, but if they had their way, a vital resource to all animals would be essentially wiped out. They have demonized carbon dioxide, calling it a menace. By looking at things logically, one would find that if everyone and everything were carbon-neutral, life would suffocate. With neutrality, plants don't give back enough oxygen to equal the amount you use.

If we are causing the global warming, then global warming activists have another thing to explain. Why is it that there have been six occurrences of even more extreme versions of our global warming occur ed before man walked the Earth? Greenhouse gas is what keeps the earth from freezing over like mars. The whole process is cyclical, and here's the kicker...Every "condition" of any part of the world is the same. Few people know this, but roughly 5,000 Years ago, the Sahara desert was a jungle-like expanse of rain forest. Around 3,000 B.C. though, the Earth's rotation wobbled somewhere around 1.100479582 degrees, turning the entire place into a desert.

The craziest part of it all is, the data from two of the past global heating cycles showed that an Ice Age followed very soon after. If this is a mild warming like those, we could be trying to prevent the world from freezing over within the next 200 years. Then, there will be someone yelling at us that we produced so few greenhouse gasses that the Earth froze.

The point I'm trying to make here is that nearly everything that happens is cyclical, and quite frankly, our control over these cycles is next to nothing. My advice? Sit back, relax, and enjoy the show. Besides, look at the odds! An asteroid that would have wiped out the human race passed between the Earth and the Moon. A German woman accidentally given the Ebola virus nearly took a trip to Canada. Half the countries in the Middle East are building nuclear weapons. Something is bound to get us before the Earth catches on fire...

If you are still reading, you made it through my evil wall of text, and I congratulate you. Now, you are able to make an educated opinion of this subject, and post/vote on what you think!

-
Kade

You realy are a clueless idiot. I have tolerated some twats thinking global warming is a lie or a myth but you try to justify yourself and claiming it is a way of scamming money out of people?!

You need to get your facts straight. We can't control the cycles as they are too complex but we can control some variables what effect the cycles. GLOBAL WARMING IS HAPPENING! Carbon dioxide is just one of the greenhouse gases what affects our global climate system but we concentrate on it because of the abundance we are thorwing out. CO2 is capable of reflecting infared rays back from the Earth down. The normal cycle is the sun sends out IR waves and some are reflected off of the atmosphere anyway. Others get through. The Earth then re-radiates them out but an increase in CO2 reflects them back, thus less heat is being lost.

The effect of global warming is global climate destabalisation. This will cause more frequent and more devastating weather patterns like hurricanes and tidal waves. It's alreay effecting certain areas. Look at the west coast of central - south America. El ninio is a prime example.

I can't be bothered to fill in anymore as you are clearly retarded and will shrug this stuff of as a marketing pitch or scare tactic but wake up and smell the fucking roses. If you want to go into this I will but I assume you will just come up with some crap about how I, and the entire scientific community is wrong but do some fucking research before you run your uninformed mouth.

You are part of the problem in trying to repair some of the damages humans have done to the climate. So either find some SOLID evidence what can stand up to the scientific data or shut your fucking hole and enjoy the ride.

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
Is this thread a joke? Do you own homework, OP, I'm not going to do research for you that's already been verified and accepted by 99.9% of the scientific community.

Here, I'll at least get you started:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn9903-instant-expert-climate-change.html

"People are causing the change by burning nature's vast stores of coal, oil and natural gas. This releases billions of tonnes of carbon dioxide (CO2) every year, although the changes may actually have started with the dawn of agriculture, say some scientists.

The physics of the "greenhouse effect" has been a matter of scientific fact for a century. CO2 is a greenhouse gas that traps the Sun's radiation within the troposphere, the lower atmosphere. It has accumulated along with other man-made greenhouse gases, such as methane and chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs).

If current trends continue, we will raise atmospheric CO2 concentrations to double pre-industrial levels during this century. That will probably be enough to raise global temperatures by around 2°C to 5°C. Some warming is certain, but the degree will be determined by feedbacks involving melting ice, the oceans, water vapour, clouds and changes to vegetation."

FallenRainbows

Feb 22, 2009
TheLivingDaylights said:
Okay Escapists, I'm going to sit you all down for a little chat about something called the Terra-Thermal Cycle. I'm sorry? Does that not ring any bells? Fine, I'll refer to it by the term fear-mongering slugs use. Global Warming. I have tolerated it for a little bit, but at this point I've had enough! For all reading this, the lie ends here!

Now, I'm not denying the Earth is getting warmer. Neither am I saying that pollution has had no effect on the planet. But saying that carbon dioxide is somehow directly causing the Earth's increased temperature is total bullshit. You see, this concept was invented by shadowy money-grubbers such as Al Gore. To people like him, the environment is so destroyed that the only possible solution is to reinvent one of Earth's most ancient and natural cycles into a doomsday clock. Not only that, but if they had their way, a vital resource to all animals would be essentially wiped out. They have demonized carbon dioxide, calling it a menace. By looking at things logically, one would find that if everyone and everything were carbon-neutral, life would suffocate. With neutrality, plants don't give back enough oxygen to equal the amount you use.

If we are causing the global warming, then global warming activists have another thing to explain. Why is it that there have been six occurrences of even more extreme versions of our global warming occur ed before man walked the Earth? Greenhouse gas is what keeps the earth from freezing over like mars. The whole process is cyclical, and here's the kicker...Every "condition" of any part of the world is the same. Few people know this, but roughly 5,000 Years ago, the Sahara desert was a jungle-like expanse of rain forest. Around 3,000 B.C. though, the Earth's rotation wobbled somewhere around 1.100479582 degrees, turning the entire place into a desert.

The craziest part of it all is, the data from two of the past global heating cycles showed that an Ice Age followed very soon after. If this is a mild warming like those, we could be trying to prevent the world from freezing over within the next 200 years. Then, there will be someone yelling at us that we produced so few greenhouse gasses that the Earth froze.

The point I'm trying to make here is that nearly everything that happens is cyclical, and quite frankly, our control over these cycles is next to nothing. My advice? Sit back, relax, and enjoy the show. Besides, look at the odds! An asteroid that would have wiped out the human race passed between the Earth and the Moon. A German woman accidentally given the Ebola virus nearly took a trip to Canada. Half the countries in the Middle East are building nuclear weapons. Something is bound to get us before the Earth catches on fire...

If you are still reading, you made it through my evil wall of text, and I congratulate you. Now, you are able to make an educated opinion of this subject, and post/vote on what you think!

-
Kade
Global warming is natural, at this rate no its not and its not "Somehow" the effects of CO2 are well proven hence the greenhouse effect. The earth is stupidly fragile we need to look after it.

PTSpyder

Aug 9, 2008
Ive heard much better put together rants on the subject, but nothing you have stated is incorrect. Global warming is a lie that the world is just starting to hear the truth about.

Minimike3636

Mar 29, 2009
Yog Sothoth...

You're basically fueled my arguement when you posted that quote. According to that quote, the scientists believe "The changes may actually have started with the dawn of agriculture." As I stated in one of my previous comments, dying vegetation is largely responsible for the contribution of harmful gases to the atmosphere. As are volcanoes. Now unless you want to go around watering everyone's garden and place giant man-hole covers on the volcanoes, then I suggest you should just let the world warm up a bit, because it's going to cool down sometime.

ygetoff

Oct 22, 2008
CrustyMedic said:
Arguements on both sides, but I still think that we should not use our planet as a toilet re:polution. I for one don't like to play in a sandbox where someone else has pee'd
This is it. This is the best piece of thinking I've seen all day.

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
I've already made my thoughts known on this subject, so I'm going to stay well away. I have to go to uni soon anyway and I don't have time to be pulled into a flame war.

The the OP: I agree with you by the way, but I can't be bothered to fight the people who don't.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
They have a hard time convincing me, considering it's still snowing outside. Right now. A day before April.

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
I'm almost done my degree in environmental studies at Carleton U and I'm currently taking Climate Change: A Geographical Perspective. The general agreement about climate change is that there there is no general agreement. Climate changes; it always has, it always will. The question is how much man contributes to that. Predicting climate past 3 days is complete guess work, even the most sophisticated intrusments are still oblivious for the most part. Predicting long term climate change is like predicting where the first drop of rain will fall in the ocean.

So here is the real question, since we simply don't know enough on the subject is it really prudent to be making all kinds of changes based upon the possbility of climate change? Don't we have more pressing matters to worry about? Like pollution, poverty, famine, etc.

bad rider

The prodigal son of a goat boy
Dec 23, 2007
RetiarySword said:
You realy are a clueless idiot. I have tolerated some twats thinking global warming is a lie or a myth but you try to justify yourself and claiming it is a way of scamming money out of people?!
Great way to start an arguement make personal remarks about the OP. Seriously if you want to make a serious point and discuss go ahead, but don't open up with a your a twat comment as it says heelo to the rationale debate society kicks it in the nuts then goes for a stroll down start flame war lane.