The Downfall of Downfall on YouTube

Joa_Belgium

Aug 29, 2009
I don't care, I actually applaud this.

I was getting sick of all those parodies, the real scene from the film is still the best. It may be funny to viewers who don't understand German, but I do and it got really redundant after two parodies.

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
These videos have given us way too much free advertising and as a result our revenue from Downfall has increased too much, we are a company and as such we don't like profit so we have to stop this advertising campaign at once.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Thats a little shame...they always made me giggle did the Downfall films, lol. So many things you can do with hitler!

Primitive George

Apr 10, 2010
There was one parody vid about an Aussie gaming journalist called Junglist who was fired from Good Game by the ABC. He was replaced by a girl. I'm a girl and I didn't bloody appreciate seeing the senior journalist, the who started the show, the one who opinion I bloody well listened to GET FIRED! Freaking hell ABC. Yeahs HUZZAH for female equality in gaming but you DON'T freaking get rid of THE GOOD HOST!
BUT ANYWAYS it was bloody hilarious and I couldn't stop laughing at it... A round of applause to the guy who made it.

Yelchor

Aug 30, 2009
I've seen these parodies a couple of times, but I never found them amusing to any extent. Probably beacuse that I had seen the movie a couple of years back.

The movie itself is a well-made quality visualization of World War 2 from the Axis' perspective. I recommend everyone to see it, infact I'd love if the Escapist had Moviebob review it. Downfall deserves to be known!

Kind of strange with these copyright claims, indeed. The parodies certainly creates more awareness of the movie then any trailer would.

Tuddle

Nov 12, 2009
I wanted to see the movie but I didn't know what the name of it was. Now I know.

I just though about a way they can get around the copyright if they redo the scene on youtube.
Like re-act out the movie, make it completely not movie made.

splatterguy734

Nov 27, 2009
Well... as much as i dislike youtubes copyrighting psychopathy im not sad to see an overused meme being put down now if only they could do something about AMVs.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Downfall89 said:
I only know about Downfall from the Hitler clips. Why the company would want to remove them is fairly stupid in my opinion, but fair enough I guess.

P.S Is Downfall a good movie? I might watch it.
And here is the reason for the bannings. They've been going on a while now, most people who were going to get exposed to them have been, but this way Constantin get an extra publicity boost by banning them.

Tales of Golden Sun

Dec 18, 2008
Downfall.
Really?
DOWNFALL?
Not Der Untergang?

Is the only way to make a German film accessible for the US to make it English? You can't just change the foreign title,, it takes away the whole essence of the title! Just learn to pronounce german/french/whatever!

Damn title rapists

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
The genius of the analogue generation.
Few things can match such idiocy.
Millions of people saw these clips, and thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, people saw the movie because of them.
Why would they deliberately ruin such a gold mine?

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
letsnoobtehpwns said:
Funny how this happened on Hitler's birthday.
Zis is good present for der fuhrer, ya? :)

leviticusd said:
Formica Archonis said:
Notsomuch said:
Aren't these videos parodies and covered under fair-use?
Nope. It's rather like the Penny Arcade Strawberry Shortcake debacle.

*snip*
Thanks, that makes the legal side make more sense.
You're quite welcome. Now if I were a lawyer, it might actually be accurate.:)

leviticusd said:
The financial side however...it was free advertising that didn't really paint the movie in a bad light, but raised a lot of curiosity to see the whole film. Enforcing a legal right for your own detriment doesn't make much sense to me. Oh well...
Doesn't, but then people haven't been known for making sensible decisions when faced with the unfamiliar.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
God dammit man. I hate it when companies do this, even when it's more beneficial.
DOWWW, IF ANYONE NEEDS ME I'LL BE IN THE ANGRY DOME.

By the way, loved the last line.!

Nick31091

Nov 21, 2009
It's a shame. I always loved the parodies; my personal favorite is Hitler ranting about the whole MW2 dedicated server fight; it always had me rolling on the floor laughing!

"Sir, we can always hope for a patch-" "THOSE MORONS WON'T DO A FUCKING PATCH!" "But sir, you can always cancel your pre-order" "So why HAVEN'T YOU CANCELLED YOURS?! YOU CONSOLE FUCKER!!!"

OT: It's insane. Those parodies alerted more people to the movie existing than any ad campaign could ever have. It's stupid that the company would want them taken down...

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
Tales of Golden Sun said:
Downfall.
Really?
DOWNFALL?
Not Der Untergang?

Is the only way to make a German film accessible for the US to make it English? You can't just change the foreign title,, it takes away the whole essence of the title! Just learn to pronounce german/french/whatever!

Damn title rapists
I don't get it either. Here in The Netherlands it was just 'Der Untergang'. Perhaps American English viewers fear subtitles or something, I don't know.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
So Hitler has won at last...

While I personally knew of the film well before I found out about these parodies, I still immensely enjoyed these parodies. I think it's really stupid of Constantin to take them down. Not only are they free publicity, they also hurt noone as they fall completely under fair use. The irony of it all is that one can find entire parts of the movie on YouTube, yet no action has been taken against those.

Anyway, the aformentioned hitlerrantsparodies [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJxThRaNqco&playnext_from=TL&videos=PTHQC8VXCEQ] has perhaps found a solution to the problem. All of his videos are now shown in mirror opposites in order to avoid the copyright issues. So perhaps these parodies will not die yet.