The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Review

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
This looks like the new Gothic game we were all hoping for. With a bit of Dungeon Siege character development sprinkled in. Hm. Interesting.

Frost27

Good news everyone!
Jun 3, 2011
Steve Butts said:
bliebblob said:
I'm curious, how did you decide who got to testplay the review copy? Office lottery? quake tournament? cagefights?
Scheduling reviews is a tricky process, particularly during the "all hands on deck" period we go through each holiday season. The key considerations are 1) how familiar the reviewer is with the genre/franchise and its competition, and 2) whether or not they have the time and attention to meet the deadlines.

In the end, let's just say it's good to be the editor-in-chief.
A good job is all about the fringe benefits!

What system is most of that footage from? Was that PC, 360, or Ps3?

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Steve Butts said:

Bethesda's latest is a true RPG epic that asks you what you want and then gives it to you.

Read Full Article
Oh man, the Scrolls game is finally out? Awesome!

Wait a minute... Where are the cards? I'm confused!
I love you.

OT: mine should arrive tomorrow via HRM mail service.

I CANT WAIT

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Just a fortnight ago, I still really wasn't that hyped about it even though I was intending to get it.

But now. Holy shit I can't wait. Been dispatched today.

This is gonna be my fighting dragons song:

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Steve Butts said:

Bethesda's latest is a true RPG epic that asks you what you want and then gives it to you.

Read Full Article
I'm glad to see someone still holding on to the old definition of "immersion" in RPGs.

Too often, newer RPGs think "immersion" has something to do with the story or the voice acting, or perhaps the believability of the plot. While these impact how we receive someone else's story, RPGs are (were) about how to create our own.

Immersion has nothing to do with how realistic the textures or animations are (otherwise, we could never be immersed in books). Immersion has to do with responsibility -- the degree to which I'm responsible for what goes on in the story. This can be from moment to moment (like in combat), or it can be more long-range (like major story decisions). The more I feel like I'm making decisions, and those decisions are upheld by the game world, the more likely I am to feel a part of the story.

It's not always about filling in all the right details. Sometimes it's about leaving out the wrong ones -- for instance, if the player doesn't get to choose his/her voice, just don't include one. Forcing a particular answer to a question is far worse than leaving it unanswered. You have less risk of the player feeling "corrected" by the game for imagining something wrong.

While visually-stunning games are fantastic to have, I'm glad to hear there is a game that is still going after emotional immersion. It's a force many people claim to miss, but few really understand what made it work to begin with.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
GonzoGamer said:
Stabby Joe said:
I've only read the Guardian review (prominent UK paper, 5 stars) and the main reason I'm looking into the reviews so much is not to know whether the game is good or not, I think everything can assume it is, but how annoying the bugs are.

From what I've heard so far, they're not New Vegas bad.
Yea. I know what the game is going to be like and I'm sure that on paper it's amazing.
What's holding me back from purchasing isn't the outdated elements, it's the technical problems. And mostly I'm worried for the ps3 port which is sure to be the worst. What I'd like to hear more about in these reviews for Skyrim are how many times the reviewers' games crashed on them.
I hope that we never again see a game with as many problems as New Vegas. That was a disaster. But this is the same publisher so you know they'll give anything the green light to go to the shelves.
That's my main concern as well. I fear many reviewers will simply gloss over all the technical troubles in favour of more exuberant gushing; it's been years since I last played a good fantasy game, and I do have a hankering for another one at this time, but Bethesda are not getting any of my sweet, sweet cash before I'm reassured about Skyrim's stability... which is why I'm waiting for user reviews.

nin_ninja

Nov 12, 2009
Ed130 said:
Zhukov said:
Five stars, eh?

So... about as good as Dragon Age 2 then?

Good to know.
Oh boy, thank you for reminding me of that... thing.

As for the facial animation, do Bethsesda use motion-capture? or is it all just animators?
You're kidding right? I wish Bethesda would use motion capture. All of the Elder Scrolls game, including this one, have terrible animations for NPCs. The faces, the lack of expression, the dead eyes, they're all back and more annoying then ever.

This is my biggest, and really only, complaint about the game.

Stoneface

Mar 1, 2011
Was anyone else annoyed watching the review that he was playing it 3rd person? I felt it didn't really show off the graphics and animation to their fullest, seeing as...well you'r not really supposed to play it in 3rd person.

jonyboy13

Aug 13, 2010
Zhukov said:
Five stars, eh?

So... about as good as Dragon Age 2 then?

Good to know.

I'm kidding, I'm kidding. Sorry, but that shit-stirring opportunity was too good to miss.
Ha! That was a good one.

I'll wait for some detailed reviews and cheaper prices.

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
Stoneface said:
Was anyone else annoyed watching the review that he was playing it 3rd person? I felt it didn't really show off the graphics and animation to their fullest, seeing as...well you'r not really supposed to play it in 3rd person.
Wait. What? Where did you get the impression that you're not supposed to play it in third-person?

We included footage from both perspectives in the video review but, if it's up to me, I'm in third person unless I'm specifically trying to loot a particular item from a larger pile. I think showing the game in third person not does a better job of showing off the animations and graphics, but also helps you get into the character a bit more.

Oh well, different strokes. I just don't get this "not really supposed to play it in 3rd person" business.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Steve Butts said:
Stoneface said:
Wait. What? Where did you get the impression that you're not supposed to play it in third-person?

We included footage from both perspectives in the video review but, if it's up to me, I'm in third person unless I'm specifically trying to loot a particular item from a larger pile. I think showing the game in third person not does a better job of showing off the animations and graphics, but also helps you get into the character a bit more.

Oh well, different strokes. I just don't get this "not really supposed to play it in 3rd person" business.
The only problem is it makes it look a lot like Dragon age!

Im more a 1st person sort guy.

Off topic
What the hell capthca?

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
How did it play in the third person? Is there co op or multiplayer of any sort? I'm just curious about whether I should stick to first person or try playing in third person which is a little less jarring, but didn't work very well in Oblivion which was kind of a turnoff.

Stoneface

Mar 1, 2011
Steve Butts said:
Stoneface said:

Hmmm, i get what you're saying. I donno, i've always played the Eldar Scrolls games 1st person, i find it more immersive that way. I only zoom out into 3rd if i want to check out my armour or weapons and go "daaaamn!" (because all Nordic adventurers are secretly fashion conscious). Plus the devs for Oblivion said they were surprised when people tried to play it exclusively in 3rd person and I agree.

Also "annoyed" was a poor choice of words, I meant "puzzled".

Odjin

Nov 14, 2007
Without giving anything away, you really need to kill dragons in this game
This had been the death-blow to this game from the very beginning. Whoever knows TES-lore even a little bit knows how much of a franchise-backstab (TES-lore backstab) this is. In Oblivion at last you could not trigger the main story to ignore all the Oblivion portal crap but here you can't.

*hands crap-medal to this game*. Good job Bethesda on ruining your own franchise even more than you did with Oblivion. What useful is a game with nice graphics and cumbersome controls if the story (one of the important elements of an RPG) is total crap? Not much. Better wait for some of the other games coming up. Money better spent ;)

EDIT: And no, retcon doesn't count... retcon is crap, and this game is the pinnacle of retcon <.=.<

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
Goodo ^_^ Just did a systemrequirementslab test and I pass all the recommended settings. Looking forward to a long weekend in Skyrim...