The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Review

AMMO Kid

Jan 2, 2009
Dude! I go to the midnight launch tonight! Work is going to go by soooooo slooooowlyyyyyyyyy.........

Centrophy

Dec 24, 2009
SyphonX said:
RejjeN said:
Got it in my mailbox this morning, turns out my DVD drive is borked and won't read the any discs suddenly :/

Sadface...
You wouldn't be able to play it anyway. PC version uses Steamworks, which means you can't play it until the release-time drops on Steam, which is Midnight tonight (US East). Basically you could install it, like a pre-load, but it won't activate.
Is it midnight? I always noticed it was about noon (est) on release day for other games I preloaded from them. If it is midnight... kiss sleep goodbye.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I hate, hate, HATE the fact that I'll have to wait until December to get my hands on Skyrim...the worst part being once I finally have it, I'll be getting the third Saint's Row at the same time. Dammit, this December is going to be difficult...I want it now dammit! At least I still have New Vegas to keep me somewhat occupied.

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
Steve Butts said:
bliebblob said:
I'm curious, how did you decide who got to testplay the review copy? Office lottery? quake tournament? cagefights?
Scheduling reviews is a tricky process, particularly during the "all hands on deck" period we go through each holiday season. The key considerations are 1) how familiar the reviewer is with the genre/franchise and its competition, and 2) whether or not they have the time and attention to meet the deadlines.

In the end, let's just say it's good to be the editor-in-chief.
Ah, I get it. The ol' "I get to review skyrim and if anyone else tries to before me they're fired" method.

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
The gist I've been getting from reviews is that its a really really good Bethesda game, but it does have that special "Bethesda charm". I wonder of the average player will be as forgiving about the bugs as the reviewers have been...

In any case, I love that most of the reviews I have read have described entirely different characters doing very different things. Good stuff.

EvilPicnic

Sep 9, 2009
Hmmm... my main problems with Oblivion were the lack of believable characters and a decent story, and my hopes that this had been fixed have just been dashed by this review. An open-world is great but I need to see my effect on that world, otherwise, NPCs really are just polygons and pixels and character development may as well take place on a spreadsheet.

Bethesda should remind themselves of Baldur's Gate: free, open play can co-exist with involving plotting and interesting characters.

I think I'll get Skyrim eventually, but later rather than sooner.

I Have No Idea

Aug 5, 2011
Is it wrong that when I saw the review, the first thing I thought was "Thank God, those damn Skyrim threads will FINALLY STOP." ?

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
If Bethesda makes an expansion pack the central character should be Mudcrap Merchant (praise be his name and vast amounts of wealth). And he should be a conflicted character, not necessarily even friendly towards you. Kinda like Ulysses or a drunk mudcrap. Which he is. Hmm... maybe he'd have to deal with his alcoholism too. And, like, Numidium? He could totally be trying to achieve something with the golem god. That would be awesome. Please Bethesda? Pretty please?

Oh, nice review. Game looks pretty cool. Prolly buying.

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
just 2 and a half hours to go...god i wish there was a way to trick steam into thinking i was in Australia...

Argtee

Oct 31, 2009
Supernova2000 said:
He actually had some criticisms for the game, yet still gave it 5 stars? How does that make sense?
Here you go

Anyways: Nice review. Hopefully this will be coming in the mail soon.
I can't wait much longer!

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Zhukov said:
Five stars, eh?

So... about as good as Dragon Age 2 then?

Good to know.

I'm kidding, I'm kidding. Sorry, but that shit-stirring opportunity was too good to miss.
Don't apologise, that happened, these people need to be reminded of their previous fuck ups. Seriously, I wish I could rep posts on these forums =D

gallaetha_matt

Feb 28, 2010
Ragsnstitches said:
You can block with a shield, 2 handed weapons and one handed weapons as long as your not dual wielding.

Put simply, blocking is dictated by your left hand in this game (left bumper/trigger or whatever the corresponding mouse button is). If your left hand is occupied by another weapon, or magic, then you can't block but your offensive power is doubled (roughly) so that's the trade off.
Ah, cheers for answering my question. It's not as bad as I thought it was then. I guess I'll need to learn to be pretty quick on my feet, and assuming the skill trees are similar to the ones in Oblivion, get the Acrobatics dodge roll as fast as I can.

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
lord.jeff said:
Ruwrak said:
draythefingerless said:
Deviate said:
So, I've gone from being 'meh' about all the Skyrim hype until these last two days where I've been... well, this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9eGtyqz4gY

I just wonder, with all the dragons in the game, will a sneaky archer still be viable, or will it be gimped in such fights?
I dont think Stealth is an option when it comes to killing a dragon....
Maybe you can poison it's tea?
Keep away from my tea.
>.> Nothing is safe! DOHVAKIIIIIIIIN!
And do I spy a CulpeoFox drawing there?