The Elder Scrolls VI: Gameplay Changes

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Sounds good think on this

Range weapon damage based on time in flight each centisecond in the air lessens the damage up to a max of 95%. Different weapons, ammo,ect have different max time, also skill in range weapons effects damage applied to the centisecond. So you know you can be skilled in range weapons shoot someone in the head and they die in one hit..... I so hate damage sponges....

Location hit damage and effect.

Head shots do more damage and or a 10ish% stagger/trip effect is applied, can be raised by weapon stats, stats or skill.

Weak spots(legs,ect) do more damage and or a 10ish% stagger/trip effect is applied, can be raised by weapon stats, stats or skill.

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
Lyri said:
That was a really nice way of putting things. Seriously, I like that. Although I don't think every swing being a guarenteed hit is a bad thing. If your sword connects, it should do damage. That's just the way things should be. Watching your sword run through a cliff racer 15 times only to do 0 damage got very annoying very fast. But I suppose what you were expected to do is imagine the cliff racer physically moving out of the way of each blow. Limits to the engine kinda prevented this.

Darkmantle said:
the pace of the game had little to do with the combat system. Skyrim felt so short because it totally lacked an appropriate amount of quests. I dislike becoming archmage in what, 3 quests? 5 maybe? Or how fast I became the leader of the thieves guild, how fast my stormcloaks conquered skyrim etc etc.
Yeah this was a big problem in Skyrim. Factions were swearing their lives to you within a week or 2 of joining. I'm currently doing the Winterhold College quests, and on my first mission I discovered some massive, world changing magic macguffin and was contacted by a secret society of mages. You're supposed to build up to these things, but instead they sacrificed deep, interested faction storylines for random quest generators.

And now I revert back to Morrowind (are you sick of me yet?) where you actually started off doing incredibly menial tasks for higher ranking guild members. It took a long time, a very long time, to become a respected member of a guild or great house, and it felt like you'd accomplished something.

the combat system being pointlessly obtuse and poorly explained is not a positive feature, it only detracts from the game, but people keep telling me how good it is like they are stockholm syndrome sufferers. Make it clear that when I'm missing or when I'm hitting. Make it clear how your system works. Or just come up with better ways to do skill scaling. Make untrained weapons swing more wildly, deal less damage, not stagger opponents. There are dozens of ways to use real skill scaling without reverting to a broken system.
Couldn't agree more. I'd love to see Morrowind on a better graphics and combat engine.

Darkmantle said:
I'm sure the world is great, and I was interested in exploring it, but I couldn't get anywhere or get anything done. So I got frustrated, and rightfully so. That's a game where you need not only the manual, but a strategy guide to make it through your first time. It's poor game design, I would like a new version of morrowind with updated graphics and a better system overall.
I've heard a few people say that, but I found it very easy to navigate, only getting lost once or twice. I never used a strategy guide, but I had a paper copy of the map that I looked at frequently. But I really enjoyed doing that. It felt more explory (I know, not a real word, but you know what I mean). And the limited fast travel system meant you had to plan your journeys, and couldn't just rely on the magic teleporting map.

Sorry if it feels like I'm harping on at you about how great Morrowind was. I'm not trying to force you to play it or anything, its just I get incredibly nostalgic about that game and end up rambling for hours.

aksel

Nov 18, 2009
I wish that in the next installment, you could choose different traits, or something. Like, if playing a Nord, you should be able to choose to be a dragonborn or not. Maybe you just want to be a good archer, or maybe you're just a great alchemist.

I'm also really tired of the whole "you're the chosen one, and shit" shebang. Also, if I really have to be the chosen one, mere farmers should bow before me, instead of sending off on a fetch quest, gathering mushroom spores, before telling me where the god-damned Helmet of Whatever can be found.

I realize that this will never happen, but screw you, man. A man can dream!

Grumpy Ginger

Jul 9, 2012
If they did put major and minor skills in the game I think they should cap how high you can get the minor ones.I got around the scaling in oblivion by maxing out my minor skills while barely raising my major ones turning my character into a one man army. Maybe minor skills can only be raised by say one point per level so by level fifty they only go up to 50, useful but something you can't rely on. Otherwise it makes the whole class system pointless.

Auesis

Mar 10, 2011
I feel like the only person on earth who was satisfied with Skyrim as the best TES, and has been left just wanting more.

My only suggestion is just for Bethesda to take a long, good visit to the Nexus.

newdarkcloud

Aug 2, 2010
I'm not in favor of bringing the class system back. It's needless complication which just forms a barrier between users.

I approve of racial bonuses to make each race unique and separate from the others. However, I don't think they should affect skill growth. I think it's a better idea to give something like having High Elves deal more spell damage and having Orcs, Nord, and Redguards deal more weapon damage, etc. This would make choosing race a much more painful and interesting choice.

I'm okay with bringing Fallout style stats into the game. I like how Fallout deals with stats. It makes sense. we can debate how they do that, but I do like that idea. I don't like the idea of having to level them up, that's a pain in the ass, but I am somewhat interested in giving each race an innate stat layout, but with bonus point the player can allot to anything.

I agree with the Skill System Revamp. I'd like skill to be the main governing factor in how good you are with a weapon.
The talent system you prescribe is good. I like the idea of some bonuses gained by just leveling and some you have to choose.

I liked the Smithing in Skyrim, though I think it could use improvement. the way you describe would be good. You'd need to go out and find/train in recipes to get powerful armors. That makes sense.

I understand why Bethesda did what they did with Armor. It allows them to render more people easily. I wish for more customization, but I'm okay with what we've got.

I hated Skyrim's magic system. It needs a total overhaul. I miss being able to create my own spells. That was an awesome feature and they shouldn't have removed it.

I approve of Reputation. The fact that no one reacts to your actions in both Oblivion and Skyrim really did bother me.

So long as Hardcore mode remains optional and companions can't be killed, go for it.

White_Lama

Feb 23, 2011
One thing I want to say is I do not want them to make the next Elder Scrolls game (if one would be released) into some sort of clone of Fallout 3/New Vegas. I like the leveling as it is, instead of doing a few quests to reach several more levels you actually have to grab your gear and go out and explore dungeons and such to be able to level up.

The only change I'd say I'd like to see is Bethesda foolproofing gamebreaking stuff, like the "Oghma Infinium glitch", and that 100 in enchanting and a few perks can make your mages manapool completely infinite, which destroys the reason of a mage. Now I know it's a single player game and that people should be able to do as they want, but damnit, I want to play a game where there are no gamebreakers.

Auesis said:
I feel like the only person on earth who was satisfied with Skyrim as the best TES, and has been left just wanting more.

My only suggestion is just for Bethesda to take a long, good visit to the Nexus.
I'm right here with you man, I have no complaints about the game.
Been playing since release they and even now i find places I've never seen before (dwemer ruin Kagrenzel, never been there, it was awesome).

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Not convinced TES is salvageable. They seemed to think the fun part of Morrowind was W+M1ing into scribs/cliffracers/bandits/whatever, and polished that turd at the expense of the fun stuff.

White_Lama said:
Now I know it's a single player game and that people should be able to do as they want, but damnit, I want to play a game where there are no gamebreakers.
TES may not be the series for you haha.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
White_Lama said:
One thing I want to say is I do not want them to make the next Elder Scrolls game (if one would be released) into some sort of clone of Fallout 3/New Vegas. I like the leveling as it is, instead of doing a few quests to reach several more levels you actually have to grab your gear and go out and explore dungeons and such to be able to level up.

The only change I'd say I'd like to see is Bethesda foolproofing gamebreaking stuff, like the "Oghma Infinium glitch", and that 100 in enchanting and a few perks can make your mages manapool completely infinite, which destroys the reason of a mage. Now I know it's a single player game and that people should be able to do as they want, but damnit, I want to play a game where there are no gamebreakers.

Auesis said:

Been playing since release they and even now i find places I've never seen before (dwemer ruin Kagrenzel, never been there, it was awesome).
Well, the Oghma Infinium glitch is something you really, really have to try to exploit.

And mages can only reduce one school to 0% cost, which IMO, is fair enough considering it requires maxed enchanting as well and that unmodded magic doesn't scale. >.>

White_Lama

Feb 23, 2011
evilneko said:
White_Lama said:

Auesis said:

Well, the Oghma Infinium glitch is something you really, really have to try to exploit.

And mages can only reduce one school to 0% cost, which IMO, is fair enough considering it requires maxed enchanting as well and that unmodded magic doesn't scale. >.>
I've almost reached level 81 on my main character (had to get to 78 anyways for the Legendary Dragons to appear) without the Oghma Infinium and I ain't going to use it on any other of my characters either, I like to play the game it was intended.

Well, maxed enchanting isn't exactly hard to come by, and spamming Master level Destruction-spells make short work of everything you can come across.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
TheNamlessGuy said:
BeeGeenie said:
Create your own spells. dang it.
Bethesda, Y U NO Include that feature?!
They obviously couldn't in Skyrim, due to dual weilding.

It would require immense scripting, and probably imports of new textures.
How does duel wielding stop us from being able to create spells? All you would have to do:
1.Sustained(like flames or detect life), bolt, or buff?
2. depending on 1 and what spells you have insert magical spells
3. put in power of the effects
4. calculate mana and pay the table

Then they could do what ever oblivion did when you mixed different looking magic

Shimmak

Jun 18, 2012
WorriedSandwich said:
My personal changelist:

-Let Obsidian write the game.
-Employ Bethesda writers to make coffee for the Obsidian writers.
You, my friend are a genius.

William Ossiss

Apr 8, 2010
Space Spoons said:
Different save slots for different characters. That's all I've ever wanted out of a Bethesda game.
This. My god, forever and a day this.

It gets rather annoying when I jump on my save/load screen and I have to be super extra careful to not delete some saves.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
runic knight said:
Weapons should degrade and be repairable at forges where you would make gear. Also, enemies should have more then just clean items. Some should be partially refined or badly damaged and what not. Also, having signs of wear on the weapon would be good, even if it is only a simple 100%/66%/33% designation by a secondary texture applied over the first to make it look more worn.
No.

No.

Never.

Weapon degradation systems in games are the WORST thing ever. They just piss EVERYONE off. Nothing is worse than being in the middle of a dungeon and then your sword breaks. Nothing.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well there are quite a few things for Bethesda to do:
1. Hire a smoking hot hooker for the CEO of Capcom
2. Take pics
3. Extort him to give up the Dragon's Dogma team/engine
4. Build TES in that, letting DD team to do the mechanics
5. ... Super Ultra Mega Profits!

It really is that simple.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
1. Bring back classes.
2. Bring back the skill set from Morrowind (including Spears, I miss those).
3. Put in a Fallout: New Vegas-style Hardcore mode. Seriously, I was surprised that that wasn't in Skyrim.