The escapist is mentioned in a Penny Arcade comic

ChocoFace

Nov 19, 2008
Didn't find the comic that funny, but mad props to them for enjoying League of Legends. It's nice that they are willing to put in the time.
(I spent all day yesterday watching the matches myself. Beautiful stuff)

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
It means that people want to stand up against it but when they see others doing the same and getting hacked it kind of puts them off.

It's nothing against the escapist, they are in fact saying that the escapist has insightful articles.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Nasrin said:
GeorgW said:
Yeah, I saw it already, it's on my feeder. It was funny. One of my favourite (don't really like PA).
Discussion value?
It's fun for people to feel like they're a part of something. I know last week when all the haxxorz stuff happened I was like "zomg I work there! But shhhh!"
Well, yeah, that's why I loved the comic.
But around here we try to have discussion values in the threads, and I was wondering what this thread's was. I'm not complaining, I'm genuinely wondering, you see I was thinking of making this exact thread a few minutes before this one popped up, but opted out cuz I couldn't find the discussion value, so was wondering what I missed.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Sudenak said:
Pretty much what I thought of it, really. Although what's funnier is all of the people who continue to post about Lulzsec, gaining large numbers of inflammatory responses that were right on par with the reason why they DDOS'd us in the first place.

It's smarter to just say nothing. Especially when a group is out for the lulz.
No! We shouldn't be cowards! We should voice what we feel about any topic we want. Not saying what you think because of some jerks with nothing better to do than be @$$holes only gives them power over you, and that would be allowing censorship! Lulzsec is not in this for the "lulz", no matter what they say. They are in it for the attention given to those who cause a problem, and to ruin other people's fun.

If they really wanted to do something entertaining, and for the "greater good", then they would do things like what that Bitish government run hacker group did a little while ago. Hack a terrorist website, and replace their bomb making instructions with a cupcake recipe.

That is what I think "for the lulz" is about. Lulzsec is behaving more like terrorists and thieves than what they say they are. Don't give into their crap! Do not be intimidated.

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
Optional Opinion said:
Zechnophobe said:
For those of you who need help understanding, in the first panel they are noting that normally they talk about things like this.

In the second we have an allegorical scenario where 'the escapist' is getting beat up in an alley, and they are given the option to help or not.

In the last panel they choose to be cowards because they are scared of the bullies in the alley.

The humour is that as reputable as they may seem, they are apparently still afraid of .. those hackers.
Are you sure?

I got the impression the joke was to do with the "insightful articles" comment and them walking off/ ignoring it.
No, the joke was about the hacking, not about the insightful articles. They actually like The Escapist.

Sudenak

Mar 31, 2011
Imp Emissary said:
Sudenak said:
Pretty much what I thought of it, really. Although what's funnier is all of the people who continue to post about Lulzsec, gaining large numbers of inflammatory responses that were right on par with the reason why they DDOS'd us in the first place.

It's smarter to just say nothing. Especially when a group is out for the lulz.
No! We shouldn't be cowards! We should voice what we feel about any topic we want. Not saying what you think because some jerks with nothing better to do than be @$$holes only gives them power over you, and that would be allowing censorship! Lulzsec is not in this for the "lulz", no matter what they say. They are in it for the attention given to those who cause a problem, and to ruin other people's fun.

If they really wanted to do something entertaining, and for the "greater good", then they would do things like what that Bitish government run hacker group did a little while ago. Hack a terrorist website, and replace their bomb making instructions with a cupcake recipe.

That is what I think "for the lulz" is about. Lulzsec is behaving more like terrorists and thieves than what they say they are. Don't give into their crap! Do not be intimidated.
Emphasis mine.

Sorry, I just found that funny. You're championing fighting censorship because of fear, yet you censored yourself. Undoubtedly out of fear of moderators, because if you didn't want to use that word you could have used a PG word.

It's not heroic to start farting at someone after they shoot you in the ass for waving your ass at them. You're just being an idiot. I mean, if you think standing there screaming "what a bunch of fucking assholes!" is some God-given right that needs to be defended, fine. But just understand that it's utterly pointless.

It doesn't make Lulzsec stop. It doesn't make anyone feel any better. It's just a childish way to point at the people seeking attention and give them precisely what they want.

It's like the people who teabag in Halo. There's not really that much pleasure to be had in it, and all it does is just piss off the guy you shot.

And for the record, I'm not intimidated. I just never understood the mindset of "if we stop waving our e-peens while wildly screaming out insults, the bad guys win!".

EDIT: And I find it hilarious that you even admitted that they're in it for attention. So, what, me saying to stop giving them attention is wrong? Lolwut?

Feralcentaur

Mar 6, 2010
I don't exactly get it, but I'm probably just an idiot...
Edit: Okay, so the Escapist being punched in the face is supposed to represent The Escapist being ddos[sub]ed[/sub] and Tycho and Gabe walking past is supposed to be like them not making any commentary on the situation?

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
paynexkiller said:
I don't remember crying to Penny Arcade for help :(
The joke is that Jerry Holkins ("Tycho") used to write articles for the Escapist occasionally. I laughed. I thought it was a good joke.

dancinginfernal

Sep 5, 2009
DustyDrB said:
AC10 said:
I don't understand the comic.
Did we get in trouble for talking about hacks?
They are afraid to stick up for The Escapist because that will make them a target. That's my takeaway.
That's what I got out of it too. I thought it was rather funny.

Sudenak

Mar 31, 2011
InterAirplay said:
Sorry, but I just don't understand why should have to keep quiet just so I can continue to freely use this site.
Okay. Let me put it this way.

I hate Halo.

No really, words cannot describe how much I loathe that series. Every single part of it is worse than eating an unborn baby, in my mind.

So, if I don't proceed to post about my extreme hatred for Halo every single time it is mentioned, no matter what, it's somehow infringing on my freedom to use the site? I should just constantly parrot out the same thing? Not even a well thought out reason, but just some childish insult?

Look, I get that Lulzsec is awful. But they're in it for the lulz, and for attention. They enjoy attention. They are trolling you, and you are eagerly feeding them. And if someone tells you to stop, you get offended.

They already won.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I have a certain level of respect for Penny Arcade for doing what they do and keeping it going after all of these years, but that's where my interaction with them ends. I don't really read the series, the ones I have read I didn't really think were all that funny, but I do see the appeal and understand why other people enjoy it.

I'll stick to my webcomics that I enjoy, and people who read Penny Arcade...good for them, it's fine by me.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
proctorninja2 said:
how long ago was this and why is this the first time im hearing of this?
It was just the other day. The reason why you didn't hear about it was probably because LulzSec isn't very good at what they do and all that happened was the Escapist was down for a couple of hours. They still think they're hilarious and uberhackers, though.

Sudenak

Mar 31, 2011
InterAirplay said:
it's not that I don't understand trolling, I'm just bloody-minded. I'd rather speak my mind and get fucked with for it than shut up to make the bad men go awy. I know I'm probably coming off as a pathetic self-aggrandising internet hard man, but I'm just stubborn about principles. If it was a troll on a forum then that's fair game, you just ignore it. But when the trolling starts to fuck with you.... well, yeah. That just makes me angry. They're not winding anyone up and gleefully watching the reaction from someone dumb enough to respond, they're just kicking down sandcastles.
Fair enough...I guess. I mean, I disagree completely, because they can actually do something while we can just faff about bitching about them, but I guess it's fair to want to stubbornly keep doing whatever you want.

I just don't want to give them my attention. Nor do I want to get my sandcastle kicked over again because I can't stop yelling at the bully that did it in the first place.

linkzeldi

Jun 30, 2010
That was kind of nice.
I remember that the site was hacked a week ago or so, but I didn't know till now it was Lulzsec who did it.