The Escapist Presents: Preview: Xbox Dashboard Update 2010

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
A lot of this (ESPN) makes me wonder how it serves me better than just, say, turning off the 360 and turning on ESPN.

Magnalian

Dec 10, 2009
Irridium said:
Why it took them so long to implement an alphabetical search feature into Netflix is beyond me.

Also, typo in the credits. It said it was written and narrated by John Funk. Not sure if he wrote it, but I'm pretty sure he didn't narrate :p
Maybe he does very good impressions.

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
I don't think it looks all that bad, maybe make the avatars grittier, more realistic and let them hold little guns - that'd be grand. :)

But most of those services I don't get - I don't get things like ESPN or Netflix and Zune's movie selection isn't exactly great. Though Last FM is pretty good - it seems to spot all the obscurish bands I like.

Though it really does seem like American users are really getting an awful lot of interesting new stuff out of this new upgrade while leaving us Europeans with only a cosmetic upgrade.

Can't we at least poach Tina and have her do our Nexus / SentUAmessage thing rather than the emo haired guys - at least that's a cosmetic upgrade. *grins cheekily*

nazorius

BLARG HONK
Apr 16, 2009
I actually liked it when the squares faded into the back; It made it easier to see all of the options you could choose. Also, did anyone notice how much of a doctor who fangirl she is?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
BOBdotEXE said:
Susan Arendt said:
Preview: Xbox Dashboard Update 2010

Susan Arendt previews the next update for the Xbox Live Dashboard.

Watch Video
I think this is the ESPN ISP list:
http://espn.go.com/espn3/affList
Hey, cool, thanks for posting that!

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Preview: Xbox Dashboard Update 2010

Susan Arendt previews the next update for the Xbox Live Dashboard.

Watch Video
As useful as this was, would there be any way to have people like the resident Canuck or members from other regions to write small followups, even just on here as a heads up for what the non-US regions get screwed out of?

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Wha!? Merle Dandridge?
Apparantly not, but I love your voice, Ms Arendt. Anyway.
Good to see that...uhm... some things... have changed? I actually miss the old, old dashboard- it wasn't quite as pretty, but it had a good, solid feel to it. Clean, simple, kinda like one of those library views that Steam has now.
Still, I don't despise progress, even if it is slight and un-related to gaming.
[sup]I mean, it's a gaming console, and the best changes are to do with movies? Well, OK Microsoft[/sup]

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Wow, they improved all the useless (or useful if you're into that kinda stuff) features and services that Xbox Live Supports while making way for Kinect, another useless gimmick (again, you may be into this sorta stuff, but I'm not) plus I think I prefer the look of the old dashboard.

Damn, I'm quite pessimistic tonight, eh?

mogamer

Jan 26, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
ESPN? Completely free. Well, you have to have an Xbox Live Gold account, but other than that? Free.
ESPN is a Disney owned network. I can tell you Disney doesn't offer anything for free or cheap. I'm willing to bet that the major reason XBL Gold now costs $10 more per year is because of ESPN3.com. Disney has been in major pissing contest mode with several pay tv providers lately because of them wanting fee increases. I have Dish Network and they no longer have several Disney owned networks in HD now because of this. And ESPN placed radio ads telling people to switch from Brighthouse to other providers because ESPN might end up off of Brighthouse because of a negotiation impasse.

Popcicle42

Feb 25, 2010
I don't have the update yet, but from this review:

New UI: Blockier, stockier, and less-fading-ier. I'm not sure that I like it, but I'm not sure I dislike it either. I understand that that wanted things to be easier to manipulate with the Kinect, but I'm still not convinced that all the changes were necessary.

LastFM/Zune: I have Pandora and iTunes, along with connector for my iPod to connect to my sound system. Great for users of those services, but doesn't effect me.

Netflix: Thank you, powers-that-be, for a search feature!

ESPN: Oh, dear. Now my Xbox will be online much more often. Tell me, perchance could you access your fantasy football from that program? Oooo, please tell me yes!

Kinect: Probably the biggest (code-wise) part of the update,. I wasn't blown away by it at PAX, so it's not going to be featured in my living room anytime soon, but I have a feeling my friend who works at Microsoft will be picking it up. So, yea, progress and stuff.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
mogamer said:
Susan Arendt said:
ESPN? Completely free. Well, you have to have an Xbox Live Gold account, but other than that? Free.
ESPN is a Disney owned network. I can tell you Disney doesn't offer anything for free or cheap. I'm willing to bet that the major reason XBL Gold now costs $10 more per year is because of ESPN3.com. Disney has been in major pissing contest mode with several pay tv providers lately because of them wanting fee increases. I have Dish Network and they no longer have several Disney owned networks in HD now because of this. And ESPN placed radio ads telling people to switch from Brighthouse to other providers because ESPN might end up off of Brighthouse because of a negotiation impasse.
My point was that you don't have to pay a fee to watch a game. Unlike much of the other video content accessible on XBL, you just select what you want to watch and watch it. The tradeoff is, of course, that you may not be interested in what's being shown all the time.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Daystar Clarion said:
I can't be the only person who never uses any the stuff like zune etc. I have a TV, why would I need that stuff?
I don't really use that stuff either.

OT: I prefer the dashboard the way it is just now to be honest.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
I've had the update for over a month now and I actually like it better than the NXE dash because its faster and more streamlined. I agree that have the ability to have different color schemes is almost a must, but if you ask me I think Microsoft is planning on doing this in the future.

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
Unless this update allows everyone to get access to the features, it shouldn't be forced on everyone.

Like a couple of the comments already, I don't have some of these features as is, yet I get an update for them? ...How would that even work? Would they have to make more than one update?

londelen

Apr 15, 2009
I do hope it at least starts you off on the "my xbox" tab instead of "spotlight" when you turn your xbox on.