The Escapist Presents: Preview: Xbox Dashboard Update 2010

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Fisk777 said:
Hooray more additions that have nothing to do with actual games! I think the new blocky reskin is a downgrade honestly.
Same, not only that, but in my country, we don't get last.fm and Zune sucks so much it isn't worth it.

Antitonic said:
Unless this update allows everyone to get access to the features, it shouldn't be forced on everyone.

Like a couple of the comments already, I don't have some of these features as is, yet I get an update for them? ...How would that even work? Would they have to make more than one update?
Agreed, I'm one of those people who doesn't get a lot from them.

Aedrial

Jun 24, 2009
Well, I live in Australia. These features, from the looks of things, aren't going to mean anything to me anyway.

OceanRunner

Mar 18, 2009
I live in the UK which uses Sky Player instead of Netflix. Will this be changed in the new update as well?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
OceanRunner said:
I live in the UK which uses Sky Player instead of Netflix. Will this be changed in the new update as well?
I only have the US update, so I'm not sure what changes the UK version will have, if any.

Palwador

Oct 1, 2010
Why is it that since I live in norway I have only a few movies to choose from? while you guys have everything? I didn't even know about the tv show function!

Zero_ctrl

Feb 26, 2009
kyosai7 said:
Zero_ctrl said:
Any changes to the XBLA?

What about the whole Destination Arcade thing they released a little while ago?
I'd be cool if they made that into the default.
It's funny, though.
You can download M-rated content on accounts that normally can't through Destination: Arcade.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
heh...
most of this stuff, i don't use anyway
...but props on your Netflix search, Susan :D

0p3rati0n

Apr 14, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Daystar Clarion said:
I can't be the only person who never uses any the stuff like zune etc. I have a TV, why would I need that stuff?
Because it's shocking how often what you want to see isn't on TV. Or maybe you missed last week's episode (or last season) and want to catch up. Etc, etc, etc.
is that not the point of a DVR?

0p3rati0n

Apr 14, 2009
The new interface looks a bit weird. I'm not exactly fond of the side to side panels. But I could live with it.

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
Will us Brit's get the ESPN feature, or will we get it removed?

Also, I hope they set a release date, and it looks pretty good and a welcome improvement than the current dashboard.

ultimasupersaiyan

Dec 9, 2008
I'm going to make a prediction here...

Final Fantasy XI and Play Online Viewer will be locked out like the NXE did when it cam out and I'll have to wait a month for someone to work out how to get it to work again!

Also I like the current dashboard look and to be honest I can't see why the Kinect needed a new dashboard to suit it since all they did was change it from the fade back style to a flat line. I also don't know why they don't make it an optional update so that those of us who don't want Kinect any time soon can keep the current dashboard.

ohgodalex

May 21, 2009
Isn't audio quality over headsets supposed to improve with this update? Was that not testable in the preview, or was I sadly mistaken?

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
0p3rati0n said:
Susan Arendt said:
Daystar Clarion said:
I can't be the only person who never uses any the stuff like zune etc. I have a TV, why would I need that stuff?
Because it's shocking how often what you want to see isn't on TV. Or maybe you missed last week's episode (or last season) and want to catch up. Etc, etc, etc.
is that not the point of a DVR?
Or a free online catch-up service like BBC iPlayer or 4oD. Plus most channels these days will endlessly repeat things at some point.

Sheinen

Apr 22, 2009
The Zune service will be needing a major update in the UK if they expect my custom. The 360 dash was due for an update, I'm just not 100% sure that this was a push in the right direction. There's a lot of emphasis on Kinect users but let's all be honest...there aren't going to be a whole lot of those around. Not until they release some decent content anyways.

There's also a much better argument to the 'sitting infront of my computer' problem...

Sitting next to my shiny new 360 is a significantly less shiny new PS3 which provides access to the BBC iPlayer. A scant £12.00 got me Nullriver's Medialink software which lets me browse through my iMacs video/photo/music content and stream it directly to my TV through the wireless router. They have a similar program for the 360 (which I'm wondering why I didn't use instead). That means I've got access to significantly cheaper download options - Zune is neither competitive, nor varied and we don't get netflix over here. The software automatically transcodes the video on the fly, so near enough every format is playable.

Add that to my Sky+ box and you're gonna get one fat and lazy bum! As soon as I can re-route the plumbing to put a toilet in the living room I'm set!

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Susan Arendt said:
Preview: Xbox Dashboard Update 2010

Susan Arendt previews the next update for the Xbox Live Dashboard.

Watch Video
any idea why they changed the kickass 3d-ish (old skool 3d as in video game 3d) panels to 2d dull squares?