The Escapist - What made you stay?

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
I came for ZP, stayed for Doralingus, LRR, Jim, and Bob.

All four are gone now, and the community has grown increasingly insular and reactionary.

So why do I stay?

I honestly don't know anymore.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Blisteredthumbs closed.
What other, better options do I have besides youtube?

Oct 12, 2011
I was drawn in by ZP. Actually decided to create an account and hang around because of the Religion & Politics forum. There were just too many good, thought-provoking discussions to read (and occasionally actually say something in).

I haven't been in too many forums, and even here I tend to lurk rather than post,but I have always thought the Escapist-folk were a pretty level-headed and interesting group compared to those sites I once haunted (and fled screaming from).

halisme

Jun 2, 2014
I like how the site allows discussion and debate without it devolving into arguments, as well as Yahtzee and Critical Miss.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Zero Punctuation made sure I ended up making a acount. Also one of the few reasons why I haven't left yet.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
I'unno.

Habit. Venting. Forum Games.

I don't get in many conversations so I wouldn't say I know anyone very well around here. But I'd still say I have some friends.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
I don't know, I can't quite explain it. I think I've felt a strange but welcome and growing sense of platonic love toward this site and its community blossoming within my bosom over the past several years. Bosom is a funny word.

Comrades, let us embrace one another. To an ever-brighter future in which I hope to see every one of you!

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Here when they signed ZP, now there is only ZP. I follow the forums as its a great way to kill time. If they got rid of ZP then the forums wouldnt be enough to keep me here. Mostly as i have this site bookmarked for ZP.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Mostly because this site is the one that got me back into following games after several years of just occasionally checking my local brick and mortar game shop. The only other dedicated gaming site that I ever spent time with previously was IGN circa 2002.

Of course these days I'm more active on Reddit because it tends to be more topic focused if you go to the right subreddit, but I still check this site a few times a day.

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
Because I never had reason to leave.

Plus who says I'm not on other forums?

Parasitic_Chick

Dec 5, 2013
Zero Punctuation (like many others). I've also been visiting this site for about 5 or so years so it's mostly habit now. Plus the forums are pretty good and the community is large and varied.
Also, is it just me or is ZP's role on The Escapist kinda like Daryl's from The Walking Dead. Meaning that if he goes the entire fan base goes too.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Gametrailers Forums was my Jam cause of the Factions we had back there. Specifically it was a Shin Megami Tensei Faction. Here I had made a lot of Internet Friends and we were goofing around and we were having fun.
Then the death of the Factions happened......f*ck.
So we asked were we should get organised again to talk all together. Most of the others said some other site and then one of my best Internet Friends also suggest me this site. So I created an account and I stick here I guess.
Sadly I have to speak with my Internet friends for a long time....
I miss my Jeb-san God Dammit.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
These days I usually come here to read Erin Dies Alone, lurk, occasionally shoot off a post, and be done for another day. Before all this GG nonsense I came here for the R&P forum.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I'VE GOT NO PLACE ELSE TO GO!

More seriously, this was the first games site I actually spent more then the time that it took to read a review/article on. Something about it got my attention and kept it.

That and Yathzee is still here...which sadly, with all the changes and losses in the last few months, is really the only reason I haven't moved on. But to be honest, I don't have much keeping my attention here anymore. Critical Miss and Erin Dies alone help, but damnit, I miss so much of the old content. That and the forums seem, frankly, pretty deserted compared to what they used to be.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
There are smart and polite people here on both sides of many issues. People who have gracefully admitted they were wrong, and people who have compelled me to admit that I was wrong. I appreciate that.

Bluntly, while I don't consider myself a Gamergate supporter, the willingness of certain parties to completely stifle discussion on related subjects was utterly appalling. I don't particularly want to migrate to somewhere where "NO! WE'RE NOT GOING TO TALK ABOUT IT! END OF DISCUSSION!" comes from on high and is accepted without pause. I recognize there are topics that cannot be broached on The Escapist, but I also feel there are good reasons for most of those rules; there, it was just an ugly kind of fiat imposed to quell a conversation they didn't like. (And it's pretty clear how well that worked out...) I'm glad that The Escapist stood up to that.

Oh, and ZP. The Escapist has had a good eye for attracting talented people in the past; some of the new additions have been far better than I expected (Cinemarter, Good Bad Flicks); others I could mostly do without (Game Theory still makes me want to throw a cream pie through my monitor at the narrator.) I don't know if they'll ever return to the glory days of ZP, LRR, and Jimquisition-level "something worth coming in for nearly every day"-ness, but I'm hopeful.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
It's mostly because I have nothing better to do and am too lazy to try and make new friends elsewhere.