The Fast Track To Internet Infamy

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Nails it. All my regular news media sources have started including bits on the gamer 'controversy' and thus given tonnes of free publicity to Kotaku et al.

If this were a football match, the score on both sides would consist almost entirely of own goals.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
haha ok i must admit that was a good one

i used to think that SJW list of journos was stupid... until this whole thing started, but ever since then ive seen people say stuff dangerously close to "all white men are rapists"

i think this difference should always be pointed out, advocating for equality is not the same thing as being a SJW, a SJW is an extremist that needs to shove his beliefs down everyone's throat, and that is obsessed with the race, gender and sexual oritentation of people, to the point where they usually come off as racist, sexist and heterophobic

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
RA92 said:
Bob 'PC-Gaming-is-Dead' [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/2911-PC-Gaming-Is-Dead-Long-Live-PC-Gaming] Chipman, surely?

C'mon! Let's give old controversies some love and be smug in hindsight.
why does this guy keeps giving me reasons to hate him?

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
RA92 said:
Bob 'PC-Gaming-is-Dead' [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/2911-PC-Gaming-Is-Dead-Long-Live-PC-Gaming] Chipman, surely?

It's been a while, but wasn't the point of the video to say that PC gaming wasn't "Dying/Dead", but was actually just having it's market change, or something like that?

Hence why the full title was "PC-Gaming-Is-Dead-Long-Live-PC-Gaming".

OT: Anyway, funny comic. :) I guess this makes them even for that one time Erin sent an angry mob to Sharon's home. ;p

Edit: This one.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comicsandcosplay/comics/critical-miss/8189-42

VanQ said:
A Critical Miss comic claiming all white men are horrible in some way?

Honestly, nothing is amiss here.

I couldn't even get mad if I wanted to.
And you should be mad, why? :/

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
VanQ said:

I couldn't even get the joke if I wanted to.
Fixed that for ya.
I get the joke. I just can't help but think that they're purposely trying to recreate the WGDF shitstorm again.

DrRockor

Jun 24, 2008
So why was Bob on this dumb list of dumb? He's a film critic who talks about games and general nerd culture as well. I wouldn't describe him as a games journalist.

Idsertian

Legacy
Apr 8, 2011
I don't really care for the issues that the strip is attempting to address, from either side of the argument, I just want Erin to stop looking so put-upon in the second panel.

I just... dammit, guys! How can one drawing elicit so much sympathy?!

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
weirdo8977 said:
@Zachary_Amaranth
I wouldn't really call you "internet infamous" since besid this site i haven't seen you be mentioned any where else. in fact i haven't even heard of you until coming to this site.
quick (~1min) google search didn't reveal much besides a steam and "that guy with the glasses" profile.

so where do you get "internet infamous" from?
I'll just repeat the previous response:

Zachary Amaranth said:
Dude, I just described myself as a social justice warrior. At least entertain for a moment that I might not have been serious. I was actually having fun with claims I was infamous both on and off The Escapist. Apparently, for srs. That you could only find two o my linked accounts on a Google search actually makes it funnier.

As for being Zoe Quinn, the internet exploded when it found out how many penises she'd taken. I can totally top that.
And remind people that when someone refers to themselves directly as a "social justice warrior" they might not be serious.

Though looking for my own post, I did find Shrek's post, which I missed before.

shrekfan246 said:
You've uncovered the truth behind the Quinnspiracy!
Does that mean we've reached Quinnception?
Sorry. I didn't see that post from before. It did seem like you where being serious. Though it was probably my inability to detect non-obvious sarcasm through text alone.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
DrRockor said:
So why was Bob on this dumb list of dumb? He's a film critic who talks about games and general nerd culture as well. I wouldn't describe him as a games journalist.
Doesn't mean that people can't get super mad about him :mad:

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
Is it supposed to be ironic that this comic is trying to take the piss out of something that it's guilty of doing anyway?

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
NuclearKangaroo said:
RA92 said:

Why does this guy keep giving me reasons to hate him?
Uh, leaving aside whether hate is a proportionate response to someone saying something about gaming, I don't know what you mean by "keep," since the video linked is three and a half years old.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
JimB said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
RA92 said:

Why does this guy keep giving me reasons to hate him?
Uh, leaving aside whether hate is a proportionate response to someone saying something about gaming, I don't know what you mean by "keep," since the video linked is three and a half years old.
i mean "keep" in the sense that the more i know about moviebob, the less i like him

that video wouldve been laughable on itself, but im already pissed by the terrible stuff that guy said to everyone critizing gaming journalism

IndieGinge

May 14, 2013
verdant monkai said:
In all honesty The critical miss guys do seem to spend of time taking the piss out of straight white males. Don't know if either of them are gay, but if the comics anything to by they are both certainly white.

Then again they seem to have it out for Evangelion fans the most.
Dude, they ARE Evangelion fans. They just enjoy poking fun at a famous thing that they like. And then it got so much attention that they decided to keep doing that. I think, I'm not a psychic after all.

They don't have anything against straight white males in general either. They just like going after the Reddit/4Chan users who tend to say a lot of absolutely stupid and/or hateful things. I'm a straight white dude, and I've never felt attacked by anything they say because I don't routinely say hateful and ignorant things. I think. I suppose if I was ignorant I'd be ignorant of my ignorance. But that's besides the point. They don't have a problem with people who aren't being dickheads, regardless of their race.

Max_imus

Jul 8, 2010
Rocket Girl said:
OT (sort of): I wonder what happens if you change the white part of that sentence to black.
I dunno. Maybe it continues to be a very silly sentence that shouldn't be taken seriously by anyone in their right mind? It's a comic strip that pokes fun at both sides of the mess, lighten up, for goodness' sake.

OT: Ah, the power of humor and irony. Maybe we can start having a chuckle at this whole thing and each other, now that the dust has begun to settle. Thanks a bunch, you two. You give me hope.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
VanQ said:
MiracleOfSound said:
VanQ said:

I couldn't even get the joke if I wanted to.
Fixed that for ya.
I get the joke. I just can't help but think that they're purposely trying to recreate the WGDF shitstorm again.
How anybody I can offended by that given the context....baffles me

I mean I can understand why Somone would be offended at WGDF [footnote/] weather I think that offence is justified is another thing entirely[/footnote] but this? As much as I don't like to dictate to people what they should or shouldn't be offended by...there are limits

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
VanQ said:

I couldn't even get mad if I wanted to.
The joke went so far above you that it's reached escape velocity and is now orbiting your head. The last panel is poking fun at the SJWs who try to gain infamy by generalizing all white men, while the first panel is making fun of the zealotry of some anti-SJWs. This is the perfect representation of the situation at hand.

You guys are overtly sensitive!

Imp Emissary said:
It's been a while, but wasn't the point of the video to say that PC gaming wasn't "Dying/Dead", but was actually just having it's market change, or something like that?

Hence why the full title was "PC-Gaming-Is-Dead-Long-Live-PC-Gaming".
It was a really garbled argument, like how the console motion controls would supersede the mouse and keyboard (we saw how that turned out) and how devices like laptops would replace PCs... while it was already considered part of the PC platform? I remember shaking my head because he was gleefully showing all the supposed alternatives to the PC being closed systems (the antithesis of PC gaming), as if that was a good thing.