The First Fallout 4 Details Revealed - Update

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
King_Julian said:
Why are so many people assuming the game is going to be a giant quest for the baby? there is no evidence to support that.

It is a likely possible story but i really dont think so.
Well the baby's appearance is based on how the parents look. Unless the baby is important somehow then that seems like a colossal waste of effort.

So we've established that the baby is likely to be important. How can a baby be important? It cant do anything, so it cant be your sidekick or the villain or a major character in any way really... ruling all of that out, the only thing really left for it to be is something for the player to save or protect.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
Genocidicles said:
King_Julian said:
Why are so many people assuming the game is going to be a giant quest for the baby? there is no evidence to support that.

It is a likely possible story but i really dont think so.
Well the baby's appearance is based on how the parents look. Unless the baby is important somehow then that seems like a colossal waste of effort.

So we've established that the baby is likely to be important. How can a baby be important? It cant do anything, so it cant be your sidekick or the villain or a major character in any way really... ruling all of that out, the only thing really left for it to be is something for the player to save or protect.
Well... It's Bethesda... A colossal waste of effort is not off the table just yet.
But I guess that's it. The game is most likely the quest for the baby that in the end will have grown up to do the "plot relavant thing" and now you need to complete the "plot relevant thing" to stop the "bad guys". Oh... And he\she is already dead or will die in front of you for the feels.

As for me... I don't mind the voice acting since they already reduced roleplaying in Skyrim anyway, might as well voice my character now or the predicable, retarded plot since I don't play Bethesda RPGs for the story.

Ftaghn To You Too

Nov 25, 2009
Willinium said:
Does Obsidian have anything to do with the writing in this upcoming game? If so then I think that they may be able to pull it off, and I must dispute your point that the Old World never mattered when in fact I view it as one of the most important pieces of the lore. Without the Great War and all the factions actions that lead to it then none of the games we so love today would be the same. With such a dramatic backdrop the motivations of our characters and the npc's and their factions in Fallout NV and Fallout 3 (DC) are given weight and importance. On whether Bethesda can pull off the pathos that they wish to, I say that we should give them a chance after all no one expected Dishonored to be as good as it was so perhaps they will strike gold once more.
As far as we know, Obsidian has nothing to do with this. I would believe their writers would be able to do this well, just not Bethesda. Also, Dishonored was not made by Bethesda. It was made by Arkane Studios, another company I would trust to do something like this. They're busy with Dishonored 2 (which I have very high hopes for). Bethesda just published Dishonored. Bethesda the devs and Bethesda the publisher are separate teams under the same company.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
I'm gonna go with the I'm excited camp. The lack of skills is slightly disappointing, however, I'm am glad that this will mean a stronger dependence on S.P.E.C.I.A.L. for your abilities than it being just a basic template. It makes zero sense to be running around with 1 intelligence and you also are a perfectly capable hacker/doctor.

Also, I'm hoping that the dialogue wheel will actually feature more options than just 4 options, and I'm sure that that will be the case.

I'm just hoping that the world is just as great as Fallout 3's world, but that Bethesda would have learned to write better.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Spaceman Spiff said:
So a forced family background and likely a save-the-baby plot. I am unimpressed, but not surprised. Maybe they'll get Liam Neeson to voice the baby for extra feels.
I laughed harder than I really should have. Good job.

Genocidicles said:
Fcbook Del Orto said:
Because that's what real fans want, less thinking and more Teddy bears critical hits that smash the evil supermutant head into pieces. Who needs stats when you got guns?

Remember the lesson from Fallout 3 "Violence is fun!"
I wouldn't be surprised if they announced a fucking multiplayer mode at this point.
Don't give them ideas... Glares at Elder Scrolls Online

Considering the butcher's bill that Skyrim gave to skills and stats, I relaly hope this isn't going to be another case of "DUMB IT DOWN AND SHIP IT" from Bethesda... The voiced protagonist with a set history and limited dialogue options just makes me crave the inevitable mods to fix the game into a proper Fallout title more than wanting the actual game itself.

Mods on Xbox are nice for them though, that and the multiplat editor DOOM 4 seem to be pushing could be good things for the industry.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
Voiced protagonist? *Sighs* Its getting really hard to get excited for this now with all they are releasing

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
fluxy100 said:
Is this what it feels like to be an old grumpy fan who doesn't like change? I feel like a lot of these things should make me giddy but they don't.

The voiced protagonist while cool seems really limiting and jarring considering fallout was still one of those RPGs you could be the character and immerse yourself and not just watch and control some other dudes story.

The new settlement should be amazing but it just seems really gimmicky to add into a series after 4 games that didn't really need it.

The new crafting system for weapons and power armor did seem really cool and amazing but i have one quibble.

Power armor are not small scale mechs they're battlesuits that amplified a soldiers power not a robot that the soldier piloted. And why does it have jet packs? Why is power armor tech advancing when nobody has the tech to make them anymore except the enclave (please don't bring them back for a third time, please).

(I'm all over that ios game and real life pip boy though, i want it so much)
Sounds like you dont like it... So can I have your copy? Cause at this point, I see not a fucking thing wrong...

fluxy100

May 22, 2010
WanderingFool said:
fluxy100 said:
Is this what it feels like to be an old grumpy fan who doesn't like change? I feel like a lot of these things should make me giddy but they don't.

The voiced protagonist while cool seems really limiting and jarring considering fallout was still one of those RPGs you could be the character and immerse yourself and not just watch and control some other dudes story.

The new settlement should be amazing but it just seems really gimmicky to add into a series after 4 games that didn't really need it.

The new crafting system for weapons and power armor did seem really cool and amazing but i have one quibble.

Power armor are not small scale mechs they're battlesuits that amplified a soldiers power not a robot that the soldier piloted. And why does it have jet packs? Why is power armor tech advancing when nobody has the tech to make them anymore except the enclave (please don't bring them back for a third time, please).

(I'm all over that ios game and real life pip boy though, i want it so much)
Sounds like you dont like it... So can I have your copy? Cause at this point, I see not a fucking thing wrong...
Oh no, I'm getting the collector's edition and i'm going to play the crap out of the game, I love the franchise and I'm going to support it. I criticize like a teacher criticizes a student, I still like them but i see things that disappoint me and I wish were changed and made better.

In retrospect most things seem pretty cool now, the only things I still don't like are the voiced protagonist and the fact that power armor looks like a vehicle and not armor

silverbear002

Nov 11, 2009
Ryan Minns said:
Just let one of the towns I make a huge slaver town with all of the slaves I catch actually being part of the world and I'm happy... and I don't have problems I swear!

Edit: Wait... if they're forcing you to be in a relationship at the start wouldn't that kinda go against Bethesdas super inclusion thing? Oh hey look you're in a heterosexual relationship straight off the bat for example?
Yeah, don't know why so many people are complaining about this, in the E3 video there was clearly an option to change the gender of either parents. So I'm sure you can have a homosexual couple.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
In case anyone wanted to watch the Fallout 4 showing at the Xbox conference:

kenu12345 said:
Voiced protagonist? *Sighs* Its getting really hard to get excited for this now with all they are releasing
Yeah, I really hope that this isn't an attempt to make the game more "Cinematic" or some baloney like that. Fallout is self insert protagonists, not Generic Voice Actors 1-14

Ryan Minns

Mar 29, 2011
silverbear002 said:
Ryan Minns said:
Just let one of the towns I make a huge slaver town with all of the slaves I catch actually being part of the world and I'm happy... and I don't have problems I swear!

Edit: Wait... if they're forcing you to be in a relationship at the start wouldn't that kinda go against Bethesdas super inclusion thing? Oh hey look you're in a heterosexual relationship straight off the bat for example?
Yeah, don't know why so many people are complaining about this, in the E3 video there was clearly an option to change the gender of either parents. So I'm sure you can have a homosexual couple.
I can only assume you mean the clear option that is very likely what swapped the male to the female when he stated you can also play as a female? The "Sex" option that appears to be what you select to swap between the two? Didn't seem like it changed one into the other.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
With all this talk of voiced protagonist I kind of wish they had it mixed nowadays. Maybe some lines voiced, others not, allowing for more dialogue without the increased expense.

King_Julian

Jun 10, 2009
xbox gets access to pc mods :( thats just not fair. but hell i plan on building a rig for dayZ later this year anyway so maybe i will just return to pc gaming full time.

just 1 more hour left to see what bombs sony can drop.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Genocidicles said:
Bat Vader said:
Bethesda didn't develop New Vegas though. Obsidian were the developers and Bethesda just published it. It can't really be a step back since Bethesda didn't develop it. If anything this proves Obsidian are the masters of RPGs.
It's a step back for the Fallout franchise. It doesn't matter who made it. Did Bethesda just look at all the improvements made in New Vegas and decide they should just chuck them out?
Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. I know one thing though. Bethesda should stick to the ES franchise and let Obsidian have Fallout.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
vallorn said:
In case anyone wanted to watch the Fallout 4 showing at the Xbox conference:

kenu12345 said:
Yeah, I really hope that this isn't an attempt to make the game more "Cinematic" or some baloney like that. Fallout is self insert protagonists, not Generic Voice Actors 1-14
I get the real bad feeling that it is. I got imagination so I could work with it but its really restricting and the game won't reflect it that much

WonkyWarmaiden

Jun 15, 2010
Jeez, you guys are all a bunch of sad sacks.

I think this game's gonna be awesome, man. I'm interested in what happens to the main character during the 200 years in the vault and I wonder whether your wife/husband and baby will eventually reappear. I like the way the character creation looks and the voiced protagonist will take some getting used to for a Fallout game but I think if Bethesda is going for a more emotional story then it would make sense to add a voice.

I'm hyped for it and I'm super glad it'll be released this year. Can't wait to play it this November.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
So, forced male character only and most likely having to install Bethesda's proprietary digital distribution software (let's start refering to it as bPlay) as a requirement.

Sigh.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
008Zulu said:
So, forced male character only and most likely having to install Bethesda's proprietary digital distribution software (let's start refering to it as bPlay) as a requirement.

Sigh.
No, you can choose the husband or the wife. You get to customize both in front of a mirror and the one you leave as is the one you play

MirenBainesUSMC

Aug 10, 2014
Well I don't know --- I am very much debating whether to get that 115.00 collectors edition...

The only problem is, I never really do much with them and at some point, what ever it is, ends up collecting dust somewhere on a shelf. Perhaps since I am older, it doesn't mean as much 10 years ago.

We'll see. There are already pre-install deals.

But just so you all know, when it does hit day 1....

Its going to have bugs.

Its going to crash your PC.

Its going to be all f---- up.

Its just the way things are. And you know it will have to be patched 10x before it works properly. Just saying...