The first videogame you ever played

KR4U55

Mar 12, 2012
Duck Hunt, then Super Mario.
My first PC game was Motocross Maddness. It was the tits.

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
First game I played? I think it was some implementation of Nim on an old Microbee computer. Glorious black and orange.

First PC game was probably Captain Comic 1 on MS-DOS. Damn, that is a hard game. Took me over a decade before I managed to finish it myself.

PFCboom

Sep 20, 2012
Hrm... My first memories of console games would have to be the Mario Bros./Duck Hunt combo cartridge, complete with the gun. Many fond memories of me playing easy mode - barrel right in front of the TV - and my father and uncle playing hard mode - 8 feet away, which looked like a lot to my 5 year-old eyes.
On the other hand, my family has been and always will be PC gamers at heart. Quest for Glory, and Jane of the Jungle, games on 3.5" disks from Egghead Software, developed by the mighty Apogee Games.
Thanks, I just nostalgia'd all over the place.

Wolfeyes555

Jan 30, 2012
Sonic 2 for the Sega Genesis. My older brother was very greedy about his games and wouldn't let me play them. The only reason he finally let up and let me play Sonic 2 was he wanted me to play Tails.

Ratties

May 8, 2013
Remember the first game I ever Played was Super Mario Bros. Of course that introduced me to the king of 2D game play. Didn't realize how some of the later nes games were so poorly made, until I compared them to the greatness that is Mario. Know I even like Super Mario Bros 2. Everybody and their brother likes Super Mario Bros 3(rightfully so, it's a masterpiece.) You know Mario Galaxy came along and showed me why he is still the king of 3D platformers.(One of the best 3D games I have ever played.)

HerraMetsoila

Oct 13, 2009
PC: Could have been Street Rod, one of the best racing games ever or California Games.

First console game is most likely Mario. Zelda and Metroid as close contenders.

Forgot this one - There was some sort of platformer on my ancient IBM with windows 3.11, could have had name like Space Jumper or something similiar. All I remember is that the main character had a space helmet. I know this doesn't go much in detail, but if anyone knows a game like this I would appreciate a name.

Odinsson

Jun 11, 2011
The first one I remember was Age of Empires, which I got in a cereal box. Could've been Settlers, though, my dad used to play that a lot and I'd sit and watch him.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
First video game ever: Tetris, on some little portable thing
First computer game: Karateka, or Prince of Persia can't remember which exactly
First console game: A NES game, probably mario or ninja gaiden or contra, one of those horribly difficult games
First handheld game: Super Mario bros on gameboy
First arcade game: Double dragon

Have fond memories of all, though the most I got into and remember the best are the 16-bit days with beat'em ups like Streets of Rage and Golden Axe, and when the computer started to venture into VGA graphics. And of course the dawn of the FPS with Wolfenstein and Doom. I used to play those Eye of the Beholder games with my brother too, moving away from tabletop party stuff was interesting.

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
I think it was Pong in 1978 on the Atari 2600. I'm reasonably sure I hadn't even played an arcade game before getting the 2600 for Christmas.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
oh some of you people make me feel so old, but not nearly as old as i expected to feel. first game i remember playing was super mario for the nes. it was the one that had mario, duck hunt, and this shitty marathon running game, all on one cartridge. around that time i also had duck tales, some awful mickey game, and mappy land (which was fucking awesome!)

dystopiaINC

Aug 13, 2010
Pokemon Red, I couldn't figure out how to leave the house. took me 20 minutes, and I had to give it to my dad, i was like gimme a break... XP

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
NightmareExpress said:
Super Mario Brothers or Duck Hunt.
I forget which one I booted up first.
Both had their moments, though the latter is pretty broken when you really look back on it.

SMB on the other hand, has aged phenomenally well.
A timeless classic that can still be comfortably played today.
Except for those "run through this pattern or repeat the level" castles...
Those still suck!
Same here, except I'm sure I accidentally played Duck Hunt after Mario. And I screamed in confused frustration because I couldn't play it on my own. I was 4.

On the old NES (in 1996, no less), I remember playing SMB with my parents. After probably using the warp pipe to World 4, I once got all the way to World 5 and stared in awe of the snow-white trees and things. My parents couldn't get past World 2.

Then I got a Nintendo 64. Super Mario 64 amazed me, but that's another story.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
It is difficult to remember the very first video game I played. It might have been Asteroids, or Pong, or possibly even Donkey Kong. It was certainly a game from way back in the mists of time like that, though, sometime around 1980-ish.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
The first game I ever played was DOOM. I have clear memories of sitting on my Dad's lap when I was about two or three and "helping him play". He would let me control the shooting while he did the movement and the like. Soon enough, I was old enough to start playing DOOM and a whole range of other games by myself.

I was literally playing video games before I learned to tie my shoelaces.

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
First videogame? Pokemon Red for my Gameboy Colour. I then played games casually until I was about... 12? 13? - and then I started developing a more serious interest with Halo, followed by KotOR II and Battlefront II. Huh, big chunk of sci-fi games there, didn't realize that.

sylekage

Dec 24, 2008
The original Mario game for the NES. But the one that sealed me into a gaming future was A Link to the Past for the SNES. I can still play that game today and love it so much. Definitely still loaded with nostalgia.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I remember my first console as a kid was Atari and the game was Centipede. I dont know if i had anything before, maybe a handheld space invaders or something like that.

jacob97900

Mar 17, 2009
I remember starting with PC gaming as a kid with games like Spy Fox, Pajama Sam and put-put. But if kids point and clicks don't count, probably Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Mario 64 when I got the N64.

Yostbeef

Apr 14, 2010
I look at it this way.The first game I ever played,the first time I held a controller,I played Super Mario Bros on NES.I loved it had a blast,and like someone said earlier it has aged remarkably well.I still enjoy but at the time I first played I was very young.

The game that made me fall in love with the medium,where I knew this would not only be a hobbie to me but a passion,was Metal Gear Solid.That game made me realize the story capabilities of games and how powerful they where do to being inherently interactive.I know it's not everyone's cup of tee and it was heavy on the cut scenes.At the time though I never seen anything that well produced character that vivid.It was also the first time I ever experienced stealth gameplay and found it so much more interesting than the usual fast paced run and gun action I was accustomed to.Solid Snake was also the baddest mother fucker I've ever seen in my life.