The fun facts thread---share your useless trivia!

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
TheGuiggleMonster said:
brodie21 said:
dngamecat said:
Hitler was a vegetarian

Some people believe Nazis had help from aliens

A member (or former member) of the Nazi part was one of the most important people who worked on NASA's project to get a human on the moon
hitlers vegetarian cook was jewish, and Wernher Von Braun was the guy. he worked on the v2 rockets for the nazis and got captured by the americans and worked for nasa in exchange for not going on trial for war crimes
Hitler wasn't vegetarian.
yes, he was. one of his advisors, Albert Speer mentions it in his memoir "Inside the Third Reich'

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
darkless said:
Realitycrash said:
darkless said:
Realitycrash said:
darkless said:
Quinadin said:
2. Vlad III, Prince of Wallachia, discovered a way to impale a man from bottom to mouth which would keep the victim alive for days. He also impaled an entire village to scare away the Ottoman Turks. It worked. ALSO when a noble complained about the stench of the dying villagers, Vlad stuck HIM on a pole and said "Let's see if the smell can reach you there". Also also, he is supposedly the inspiration of Dracula.

He's not suposedly anything he IS the inspiration for Dracula, his name is actuall Vlad Dracula.

His name isn't Vlad Dracula, but Vlad II, Prince of Wallachia. Dracula was just a nickname the Turks gave him, meaning "Devil".
"His Romanian surname Drăculea (also spelled "Drakulya"), by which Vlad was referred to in several documents, means "son of the dragon", in reference to his father, Vlad Dracul"

Taken from wikipedia not the most reliable source I know but it was the quickest one to get.
it is possible that Dracula means "monster", or that "Devil" can also be used for "Dragon", that the word is just a general term for something unloathsome and evil. But I do know that I have read it in a book and watched it on Discovery CHannel, and they say Devil.

Hmmmm, it can mean both apparently, "His Romanian surname Drăculea (also spelled "Drakulya"), by which Vlad was referred to in several documents, means "son of the dragon", in reference to his father, Vlad Dracul, who received that moniker from his subjects because he had joined the Order of the Dragon. Dracul, from the Latin word Draco, meaning "dragon", is derived from the Greek word Δράκων (Drákōn). In Romanian, on the other hand, Dracul means "devil", and in the bible the devil is also called the dragon, great dragon and the snake."

Never bothered reading the rest of the Paragraph so that was my fault, one of those "This proves me right!" moments only to alter learn it doesn't...This has never happened to me before. Sorry about that.
-Shrugs- We were both equally right. Nothing to be sorry about.

xWestie

Apr 13, 2010
darkless said:
coolkirb said:
thenoblitt said:
dkyros said:
Quantum entanglement is the unexplained phenomenon in the universe where two particles are inextricably linked together and any action on one particle causes the other particle to react instantly (faster than light speed) no matter what distance the particles are separated.
Also, for those too young to remember there was originally 150 pokemon ^.^
151 actually you forgot mewtwo
actualy I think Mew was 151 because I remeber you can catch Mewtwo ingame
you can also catch Mew in game.
All 151 pokemon can be caught in Red, Blue or Yellow due to an in-game glitch.
Thankyou TRSrockin.com c:

Nyerion

Nov 9, 2010
ssgt splatter said:
OT: If you are in pain, swearing actually lessens the pain. Mythbusters did a show on it and it seems to be true.
Actually, there are several factors that influence the sensation of pain. For example, the presence of a woman will automatically make you resist the pain better if you are a man.

classypants

Feb 5, 2011
did you know that the clitoris has approximately eight thousand times more nerve endings than the head of the penis. Collage level sex ed in seventh grade does things to your mind.

SilkySkyKitten

Oct 20, 2009
Despite the usual negative connotations regarding illegal drugs, LSD is actually one of the least harmful substances known to humankind. In fact, Orange Juice and Aspirin are more toxic to the human body than LSD.

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
similar.squirrel said:
Also, Richard Dawkins reckons that, had humans evolved to be octadigital (eight-fingered), computers would have been developed centuries ago due to an innate grasp of binary.
what does binary have to do with anything. isnt binary a made up system, as in binary could have been a different number like 6 for bits or 12 or something.

also just cause we have 8 fingers it doesnt mean vacuum tubes or transistors would be invented any earlier as far as i know.

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
Did you know:
1)That the devil is never referred to as Lucifer in the bible? Lucifer means "Light Bringer"
2)That a pentagram is actually a pagan symbol warding AGAINST evil and to ancient mathematicians symbolised the triumph of spirit over body
3)Inverted pentagrams arn't evil either they are the triumph of the body over the spirit i.e hedonism
4) Upside down crosses actually show humility before christ so every "Satanist" you've met that wears an upside down cross is actually saying the equivalent of "Lord I am not worthy" to Jesus. It stems from the story of St Peter not considering himself worthy enough to be crucified in the same way as Jesus and so getting crucified upside down. The pope has one carved into the back of one of his thrones.

5)That Voodoo does not actually have dolls in it. The dolls were an attempt by the church to demonise it and are actually from folklore of western witch craft (dolls called 'poppets'). The only dolls in voodoo are used sometimes as offering to some of their gods.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Scarim Coral said:
Did you know a squid got three hearts? A little red bean told me this
(Click on the channel to learn more facts!)
Epic, thanks!

Japanese always get clever in funny ways :D

TheGuiggleMonster

Feb 11, 2011
brodie21 said:
TheGuiggleMonster said:
brodie21 said:
dngamecat said:
Hitler was a vegetarian

A member (or former member) of the Nazi part was one of the most important people who worked on NASA's project to get a human on the moon
hitlers vegetarian cook was jewish, and Wernher Von Braun was the guy. he worked on the v2 rockets for the nazis and got captured by the americans and worked for nasa in exchange for not going on trial for war crimes
yes, he was. one of his advisors, Albert Speer mentions it in his memoir "Inside the Third Reich'

"After the early 1930s, Hitler generally followed a vegetarian diet, although he ate meat on occasion. There are reports of him disgusting his guests by giving them graphic accounts of the slaughter of animals in an effort to make them shun meat.[350] A fear of cancer (from which his mother died) is the most widely cited reason, though it is also asserted that Hitler, an antivivisectionist, had a profound concern for animals.[351] Martin Bormann had a greenhouse constructed for him near the Berghof (near Berchtesgaden) to ensure a steady supply of fresh fruit and vegetables for Hitler throughout the war." From the Wikipedia article about Hitler.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
-According to the popular tale St.Patrick banished all the snakes from Ireland.However archaeological evidence suggests that there never was any snakes in Ireland to begin with

-Richard the Lionheart is one of the most famous kings of England and generally regarded as an English hero.However he didn't speak English,only spent a few months of his reign in England(he lived most of his life in France)and nearly bankrupted the country to pay off his ransom after being captured while returning from the crusades

Emilin_Rose

Aug 8, 2009
Quillan said:
When there are two gay penguins, they get jealous of the other couples when they have an egg to look after, so they grab a rock and put it between their feet and look after it, as if it was their egg.
Dawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

On another, less adorable note(or maybe not i'm not one to judge):

The pros and cons of circumsision are, from a medical standpoint, about 50-50, overall, but much depends on your culture.

In cultures that are less developed, uncut is generally better for preventing contraction of disease in non sexual activities.

In cultures that are more developed, cut is generally preferred both for sanitation reasons, as children and young adults are not likely to clean themselves properly. It is also greatly preferred by women.

Interestingly enough, however, is how the process of circumcision was popularized in late medieval europe.

The story begins with our friend, the cockroach.

Way back in the day when all of our swear words seem to be made up, it was generally accepted by young boys that their man-parts looked like a chicken head. Hence the shortened slang term, "cock". Cockroaches of the day would crawl around in peoples beds back then, and would crawl onto the foreskin of a boy, laying their eggs in the smegma, as both a warm, safe nest and a meal for when the eggs hatched. That being said, back then people only bathed once or twice a year, so most wouldn't know they were carrying the eggs until they hatched. The baby roaches would then eat the smegma, often biting the tender skin, causing immense pain in the unfortunate males and resulting in infections and sterility. This problem was seen as so bad it actually helped to popularize circumcision in medieval Europe.

Of course, there was some difficulty in popularizing it, as the wealthy would refuse the procedure, for the sake of status. It was considered 'lower class' to be circumcised, as it meant you were filthy and unclean and it was considered lower class to be dirty(visibly so anyways). Many higher families wouldn't let a daughter marry to a circumcised man. The poor, eager to emulate the rich, would spread propaganda about why they should not get cut, a practice which continued to this very day, but after a while the health benefits and virility of the circumcised men began to be noticed, and reluctantly the population admitted to the benefits of circumcision.

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
TheGuiggleMonster said:
brodie21 said:
TheGuiggleMonster said:
brodie21 said:
dngamecat said:
Hitler was a vegetarian

"After the early 1930s, Hitler generally followed a vegetarian diet, although he ate meat on occasion. There are reports of him disgusting his guests by giving them graphic accounts of the slaughter of animals in an effort to make them shun meat.[350] A fear of cancer (from which his mother died) is the most widely cited reason, though it is also asserted that Hitler, an antivivisectionist, had a profound concern for animals.[351] Martin Bormann had a greenhouse constructed for him near the Berghof (near Berchtesgaden) to ensure a steady supply of fresh fruit and vegetables for Hitler throughout the war." From the Wikipedia article about Hitler.
if you will note i said that hitler had a jewish vegitarian cook. never in my response to the original poster (the one who actually made the claim that hitler was vegitarian) did i say that hitler was completely vegitarian. the section from wikipedia backs me up, as he was mostly vegitarian. i highly doubt that all vegitarians are all vegitarian all the time. BTW, wikipedia isnt always right, so my source trumps yours

TheGuiggleMonster

Feb 11, 2011
brodie21 said:
TheGuiggleMonster said:
brodie21 said:
TheGuiggleMonster said:
brodie21 said:
dngamecat said:
Hitler was a vegetarian

if you will note i said that hitler had a jewish vegitarian cook. never in my response to the original poster (the one who actually made the claim that hitler was vegitarian) did i say that hitler was completely vegitarian. the section from wikipedia backs me up, as he was mostly vegitarian. i highly doubt that all vegitarians are all vegitarian all the time. BTW, wikipedia isnt always right, so my source trumps yours
I don't think you've put a lot of thought into saying that.