The Game Boy turns 20! What's your favorite portable game and why? - CHAT WITH THE STAFF!

Akihiko

Raincoat Killer
Aug 21, 2008
Definitely Pokemon Silver overall. Spent hours and hours on that game, loved it to bits. Played through it many times and even now I'm still not bored of that game. No other handheld game managed to keep me hooked that long. Even went to the trouble of replacing the battery inside it so I could play it and save the game again recently.

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
Elite Beat Agents, definitely. A perfect S on every song on every difficulty. Silly idea, silly game, some of the most annoying rhythm gameplay there is. Yet as much as the game pissed me off, I couldn't stop playing it. Disgaea DS is a good runner-up... for many of the same reasons.

I realize these are fairly recent games but I have to admit that I never got the portable console crazy till around the time the GBA SP was released.

Dixon55

Apr 16, 2009
Pokemon games are the best. I spent my childhood playing pokemon red and blue. Then i found out about Silver and Gold and thought Christmas had come early. Thats where my pokemon days ended though.

tk1989

May 20, 2008
My god, where to start! Golden Sun was brilliant game, probably one of the best RPGs ever. I also loved the original Kirby game, and ofc Super Mario Land! They were all brilliant! however, my choice is going to have to go with Pokemon Blue/Red; no other game like it had drawn me, or so many others, in before and the opportunities were endless :p

Laro

Apr 16, 2009
Kirby's Dreamland for the original GB. Simply because it was the first game i ever played on a portable, and it brings back alot of good memories. I also recall spending alot of time training pokémons and battling my friends, when the first pokémon games came out.

Ziadaine_v1legacy

Flamboyant Homosexual
Apr 11, 2009
Hands down (for me) its gotta be "Kirby in DreamLand". That game was the Shizz and I still have the original Cartrige in my Desk Draw.

US Crash Fire

Apr 20, 2009
how can the gameboy turn 20 when its been dead for a while? the DS is not a gameboy. Nintendo made that very clear.

ganpondorodf

Apr 30, 2008
Donkey Kong Land 2 on the Game Boy. It was the first game I ever owned and I absolutely loved it; I remember my brother beating it before we went to school one morning. I only managed to finish it about 6 or 7 years after I got it.

And the words "Slime Climb" still make my skin crawl...

Pokémon Blue's great too, and the GBA has a ton of good ones... Metroid Fusion, FF Tactics Advance, Golden Sun and F-Zero to name but a few.

I'm not exactly a huge fan of the DS, but in fairness I haven't really got many games for it. I think the last one I bought was New Super Mario Bros.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Pokemon Silver on the Gameboy colour was rather awesome, spent a lot of time on that.
Onimusha Tactics on the GBA is also amazing.

At the moment my favourite handheld games are Harvest Moon DS and Patapon.
[small] pata pata pata pon...[/small]

irrelevantnugget

Mar 25, 2008
I'd just like to point out the horrible typo in the title. "you're favorite". Oh dears.

And of all handhelds... hmm, tough one. Golden Sun 1+2? Metroid Fusion/Zero Mission? Disgaea? Patapon 1/2?

I'm going to pick the nostalgia route here and go with Golden Sun. Good times.

sadpolice

Nov 12, 2008
The Pokemon games were and still are great, I still have time for them now even though I have an xbox, still one of the best games for the GameBoy.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Pokemon Yellow.

It was the first videogame I ever played; what is most likely the reason that I post here today.

Not to mention how awesome it was.

axnxgxixe

Apr 23, 2009
Wow 20 years...I remember playing mario on my cousin's old gameboy trying to see the green screen.

But my favorite handheld title? hmmm LOZ has had a whole bunch of good titles...New Super Mario bros is good too. As much as I am not a huge fan of pokemon, the games are really fun and addictive (even if it they are all pretty much the same game...)

Check out my friend's video he made for a class- he had to research a technology and present it creatively- he did the history of gameboy. Check it out it's pretty sweet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhPevmFnP0k

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
Can I say two games? If I can, I've got to go with The Legend of Zelda Oracle of Seasons and the Legend of Zelda Oracle of Ages. These games had awesome puzzles, awesome music, awesome boss fights and pretty awesome stories. I still play them today they are that much fun. These two are the best in the Zelda franchise for me (Ocarina of Time coming a real close second).

For the GBA, my favourite game is Golden Sun (the second was also great) because of the same reasons as above.

AlexTheBucket2112

Mar 26, 2009
Yellow version. It's the only pokemon game I actually completed fully (Every trainer battled, all badges, all pokemon save mew, complete pokedex, etc.) BTW if your wondering: You don't get anything for completeing a pokedex (save a small certificate you get from a game freak employee featured in the game. The only way you can get the certificate is if you have an old GB printer. So I was SOL)

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Oh, wow, great question! I take my DS with me whenever I travel -- I can't get on a plane without it. Definitely love Yoshi's Island, Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing, Professor Layton...
Wow - snap! I'll have to add Hotel Dusk and the Phoenix Wright games to that list though - I love mysteries! =)