The Gay Community.

Fluffythepoo

Sep 29, 2011
From my observations in life (fuck data) openly gay people dont seem any more inclined toward undeserved selfrigheousness than anyone else, but they are drastically more likely to mistakenly attribute their various foibles towards them being gay instead of them just sucking. Though thats just a person thing, im a man and i might attribute my lack of fashion to being a man, but the reality is im just not fashionable.

So its not that gay people tend to suck more its that the people who suck and are gay are more likely to say they suck because theyre gay (also just realised the pun.. ha!).

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
Valen_Starwalker said:
"I find this disrespectful, and plain down rude. I don't care what the Gay Community been through if they act like this. They want respect, and to be treated fairly. That's fine, and cool. Everyone should be treated fairly, and nice. But I hate it when the majority Gay community act like they're so superior then everyone else for just being gay. They act like they're so much better than anyone else, and how those people are just ignorant, and not educated."

And then some Lesbian friend of my friend comes along, and says this.

" Being a lesbian, let me put it to you this way...I don't care who you are, if you are kind to me, I will be kind to you even if I don't agree with you. I'm not going to go start a protest and stomp on your beliefs and rights...therefore, this separates me from these other "pro-gay straight bashers" you speak of therefore invalidating your argument...let's go ahead and get to the real point here...you hate gays and would like to make it known. It's okay, I understand you are ignorant and closed minded and I accept that, but I do not hate you and I wish you the very best."

What? She just did exactly what I hate about them! It just proves my point that they act like a bunch of little kids when someone disagrees with them about anything. I never said anything about hating gays for being gay. I hate the way they act towards other people. They act superior, and self-righteous just because they're gay.
At worst the LGBT community has a tendency to be defensive. They have to constantly deal with people call there sexuality or identity as fake or immoral. When you drop in a paragraph using the word "hate" to describe gay people, I don't find it surprising someone thinks you hate gay people. In fact I think you do as well. You said "what I hate about them" therefore you hate them, you have preconceived notions about them. My brother said essentially the same thing about black people once, try it out; "They act superior, and self-righteous just because they are black" sounds pretty racist doesn't it. The black people around him were being arrogant, but you can't let it speak for a race. You were flat out wrong in your statements.

FitScotGaymer

Mar 30, 2011
Kinguendo said:
Right, that would be assuming they were right to "gaybash" for those reasons in the first place... Them simply being true of some people does not A) Excuse hate-mongering or B) Allow for blame of the victim. What you are saying is akin to this(however this will be a simplified version to highlight the flaw): "I hate you for being gay... AND YOU ADMIT TO BEING GAY! Therefore I am right to hate you for it."

Obviously, do not "bash away".

And you completely miss the point.

corneth

Apr 19, 2011
Hey, I'm not homophobic/anti-Semitic/racist, this is meant as a serious discussion, but I'm fed up with {insert Minority group} doing {random shit}. {insert referring to minority group as a group as "they"} {insert examples from facebook} {insert white-boy anger}

There, now you've read every single one of these threads that appear on Reddit, the Escapist, and every other website on the internet.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
I know plenty of gay people and a whole bunch of bisexuals too. Plus a dude who's pretty much omnisexual. I have never witnessed any of them acting like that.
The dude on facebook sounds like he was being a bit of a dick, out of context. In context though, he might not. Plus I find it hard to believe that the lesbian girl made that claim without already thinking that about you to some extent.

You sure you hadn't done something to piss off teh gays before this all happened?

Arfonious

Nov 9, 2009
Yeah there are some dicks in the gay community (pun intended) but there are some dicks in all communities

Take gamers as an example or feminists, just remove the words "gay community" and replace them with "gaming community" or "feminists" or whatever and it will still apply and sound just as stupid and arrogant

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
Any group of people that have just one single thing in common, have the same range of nice people to donkeyhelmets ratio as any other group of people with just one single thing in common.

The only thing we have in common is that we're attracted to our own gender, which in itself implies absolutely nothing about what they're like as a person.

But generally speaking, gay guys are among the most shallow, fickle and bitchy people I've ever met. Of course, they're the only sample size of people I've had direct contact with, so I assume all large groups of people are the same.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
blackrave said:
Says the person who totally missed the point of the post...
No. I get the point of the post. You expressed it here..

blackrave said:
Those prides are stereotypical and insulting to everyone
..it's just wrong.

The pride movement spans the entire world. Each event is organized by a small non-profit organization, and these organizations usually have no contact with one another. In some areas and countries, particularly those which are quite hostile, a pride parade can consist of a small protest. In larger cities in more open areas, pride parades can be enormous street parties based around a huge formal parade which might represent organizations like the police, the armed forces, the teaching professions, trade unions and political parties. It is not a members-only event. Anyone can attend, they can wear and do whatever they want (within the laws of the country they are in).

Contrary to what many straight people seem to think, pride is not intended to showcase gay people. While in some areas it has a stronger protest element than others, and some people would like to see the protest element played up, pride is not generally meant to be a protest (except of course in countries where it actually needs to be). It's a day of escapist fun where some of the normal social rules are a little more relaxed. Some people, like leathermen or drag kings/queens, dress up on pride to show that they are part of that subculture. Others dress up on pride because it gives the event more of a carnival atmosphere or because it's fun. I had a friend in Tokyo pride this year, and one guy there dressed up as a samurai complete with replica arquebus. Stereotypical?

To claim that the way gay people dress in pride is stereotypical is like me saying that the way straight people dress and act in Mardi Gras is stereotypical. It's not, it's not remotely indicative of who people are or how they normally behave. People dress and behave like that because it's fun, maybe there's a tiny trace of being subversive about it, but I think only academics think too deeply about that at the time. Pride is generally no different from any other celebration where people dress up, and just like most of those events the vast majority of people there will generally not look or behave anything like the people who tend to get photographed.

When I was at London Pride a couple of years back, you know what got the biggest reaction where I was standing?

1) The delegations from the armed forces and the other uniform services (they always get a big response).
2) Two guys marching in normal clothes with their toddler sitting on one of their shoulders.

For many of us young people in the crowd, those were the first gay parents we had ever seen. A lesbian friend of mine actually had tears in her eyes, because after years of unconsciously assuming that her life was set to follow a particular pattern laid down by the fact that she was gay she literally saw the possibility of having children open up to her. That was powerful, it was a better protest than a thousand megaphones and placards.

You should go to a pride parade sometime. It's not what you think, and the bits which are what you think don't have any obligation to apologise to you anyway.

tofulove

Sep 6, 2009
op what your seeing is the vocal minority in the "gay community" most people in the gay community are just regular people like any one else who happen to like the the same sex. they work (in this economy looking for work ;p) feel love and pain and act like reasonable people. and just like all humans come in all forms of personality. some are wise beyond there years and got a good head on there shoulders, some are in there 40s and still act like there 12, and every thing in between. don't judge a massive group of people based on the childish behavior of a small vocal group.

tofulove

Sep 6, 2009
if you want to talk about a community that sucks lets talk about the straight community. there some of the most hateful people i ever met. there full of hate. they think all gay people are immature ass holes who are out to destroy the world as they know it.

they really need to get there act together. there always going on about how we should be killed or driven to the see cause we spurn there gods sensitive pallet.

the other day some old white straight woman was telling me how its a sin to be gay and gay people go to hell... she was a fat alcoholic who use to be a drug dealer. based off that sample i came to the conclusion most straight people are fat drug addicts. and they call us the the disrespectful community. every one in the hive its time to rise! over through our oppressors!

if straight people hated gays so much they should stop making us.

./end satire.

Jenvas1306

May 1, 2012
yes, there are gay people who think they are entitled to something cause of that. Like there are nerds who think they are entitled to something cause they are real nerds (not fake nerd girls...).
And so we find people like that for lots of groups, cause it is difficult to cope with being 'different' and so some turn it around and boast with being proud of being different.

I'm TG and while I like to erase misconceptions about it, all I want is to be treated normal and equal. If I dont get that I get bothered or aggrovated, otherwise its noones business

What two people do together is only their concern, as long as its legal. Also marriage shouldnt be exclusive to a couple of a man and a woman, they already have the procreation advantage.

So such communities shouldnt exist, we are all just human.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
evilthecat said:
blackrave said:
Says the person who totally missed the point of the post...
No. I get the point of the post. You expressed it here..

blackrave said:
Those prides are stereotypical and insulting to everyone
..it's just wrong.

The pride movement spans the entire world. Each event is organized by a small non-profit organization, and these organizations usually have no contact with one another. In some areas and countries, particularly those which are quite hostile, a pride parade can consist of a small protest. In larger cities in more open areas, pride parades can be enormous street parties based around a huge formal parade which might represent organizations like the police, the armed forces, the teaching professions, trade unions and political parties. It is not a members-only event. Anyone can attend, they can wear and do whatever they want (within the laws of the country they are in).

Contrary to what many straight people seem to think, pride is not intended to showcase gay people. While in some areas it has a stronger protest element than others, and some people would like to see the protest element played up, pride is not generally meant to be a protest (except of course in countries where it actually needs to be). It's a day of escapist fun where some of the normal social rules are a little more relaxed. Some people, like leathermen or drag kings/queens, dress up on pride to show that they are part of that subculture. Others dress up on pride because it gives the event more of a carnival atmosphere or because it's fun. I had a friend in Tokyo pride this year, and one guy there dressed up as a samurai complete with replica arquebus. Stereotypical?

To claim that the way gay people dress in pride is stereotypical is like me saying that the way straight people dress and act in Mardi Gras is stereotypical. It's not, it's not remotely indicative of who people are or how they normally behave. People dress and behave like that because it's fun, maybe there's a tiny trace of being subversive about it, but I think only academics think too deeply about that at the time. Pride is generally no different from any other celebration where people dress up, and just like most of those events the vast majority of people there will generally not look or behave anything like the people who tend to get photographed.

When I was at London Pride a couple of years back, you know what got the biggest reaction where I was standing?

1) The delegations from the armed forces and the other uniform services (they always get a big response).
2) Two guys marching in normal clothes with their toddler sitting on one of their shoulders.

For many of us young people in the crowd, those were the first gay parents we had ever seen. A lesbian friend of mine actually had tears in her eyes, because after years of unconsciously assuming that her life was set to follow a particular pattern laid down by the fact that she was gay she literally saw the possibility of having children open up to her. That was powerful, it was a better protest than a thousand megaphones and placards.

You should go to a pride parade sometime. It's not what you think, and the bits which are what you think don't have any obligation to apologize to you anyway.
I really hope that what you said represents the majority of LGBT prides
My own personal experience is a bit different
Also for a most recent pride I got info from media that maybe wasn't the smartest move, since they tend to concentrate on something hugely outstanding (usually negative)
Anyway "they can wear and do whatever they want (within the laws of the country they are in)." often gets neglected
On the other hand some speculate that those might be provocateurs, to make these events looks bad, but that's just tinfoil hat area for me.

FitScotGaymer

Mar 30, 2011
I love how he just assumes that we don't like pride because we have never been.

And I didn't like it. At all.

While I like some parts of pride, and I like the intended point of pride - I feel that unfortunately it has become sidelined by a sleazier element of the gay community and what ends up being shown to the world is not pleasant, IMO.

Only speaking from my personal experience with my local pride event. I hope to god the others are better; but that video I described and saw did not inspire confidence on this issue.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
FitScotGaymer said:
I love how he just assumes that we don't like pride because we have never been.
Not what I said. Also, what the fuck is this "we".

FitScotGaymer said:
While I like some parts of pride, and I like the intended point of pride - I feel that unfortunately it has become sidelined by a sleazier element of the gay community and what ends up being shown to the world is not pleasant, IMO.
Knowing people who have been around since the beginning of the pride movement, I think that's actually kind of the opposite of what has happened. But even if it's true, so what?

Gay people have sex. It's kind of what defines them as gay. If you're not okay with gay people having sex, then you're not okay with gay people.

Sometimes, straight people will do sleazy things. In fact, I guaruntee I can find you a street where you can watch straight people doing sleazy things every weekend. I don't see video cameras there filming. I don't see people like you fishing out videos of these things on the internet. Noone gives a shit because this stuff is common. It happens all the time and noone notices, noone forms random judgements based on it, because it's not gay.

Why should gay people be held to a higher standard? Why should all gay people have to behave respectably for fear of "letting the side down". There is no side to let down, there is no magical hive-mind whereby the conduct of one gay person will determine the conduct of all others. If you don't like public sex (and fair enough, it's illegal) blame the people who do that. But blame them for breaking the law, not for making gay people look bad..

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
Valen_Starwalker said:
In my life from what I read/see/hear/experience I find that the majority of the gay community are bunch of ignorant, arrogant, self-rightness, rude, disrespectful, and plainly just act like a bunch of little kids when things don't go there way.
If by "when things don't go their way" you mean "when they are denied their basic human rights by virtue of who they choose to love". Perhaps the reason that woman thought you were a homophobic bigot is because the things you are saying make you sound like a homophobic bigot.

Brandon Logan

Jan 20, 2011
I think every "community" needs to grow up and realize that every other "community" isn't some exclusive group.

Life shouldn't be like a mafia crime movie.

Also I'll do whatever I want with puppies.

NemotheElvenPanda

Aug 29, 2012
Thistlehart said:
Whenever someone brings up the "Gay Community" I wince a bit. Being gay myself, I rather resent that they are what people think of when "Gay Community" becomes a topic of discussion. I just... Hell's Bells. I'll just let 2 sum it up.

2 is my gay-furry Jesus/Mohammed. I would follow him everywhere /)^3^(\

Although generalizations are *never* a good idea, the OP does shine a little light on why I, and other gay guys, don't consider myself a part of the gay community. There are members that do take the social warrior thing WAY too far to the point where they're just as bigoted as the people that persecute us, and there is a certain element of entitlement in some circles. As 2 said, respect is earned, not given.

If you want society to accept you, prancing down main street in a giant dildo float wearing bondage gear to make some social statement is not the way to do it. I'm all for being yourself and I am by no means a prude, but society does have norms that are not entirely unreasonable. Marching to say that "Hey, I just so happen to be gay and I'm just like you" is one thing since that's what Pride originally meant; marching and saying that "I WANT ALL THE DICKS" is another, on an entirely different scale and plane of existence. I don't want to hear about your private life, gay or straight or whatever.

Again, I'm not saying that I agree with what the OP says. He may not have meant it, and he did some pretty serious generalization, but I'm just saying as a gay guy myself that it's not entirely without merit. There is a huge gap within the gay community right over things the OP mentioned.