The genre you never really cared for

BartyMae

Apr 20, 2012
JRPGs, (especially turn-based ones), fighting games, sports games, racing games, arcade shooters, (ala Call of Duty), games generally defined as "simulators", MOBAs, and MMOs. I have no love for any of these, and perhaps a bit too much of the opposite.

Sancrkf

Dec 6, 2010
Non-simulation racers like Need for Speed and Ridge Racer... Sports games, some wrpgs, MOBA... Not a genre, but any game that tries to look/feel realistic doesn't appeal to me, driving simulation games being an exception.

Also, kinda surprised at how many people dislike fighting games here. It's one of my favorite genres...

Riddle78

Jan 19, 2010
I have nothing but contempt for sports games. If you can get the machine and game,what's stopping you from,you know,going out and PLAYING the sport to begin with? You obviously enjoy the sport if you're buying the game,and even if you're not in shape,sports will get you into shape.

I also have little love for the Modern Military Shooter genre. Same shit,different pile,each and every time. No imagination,no flights of fancy. Just the same M16 or whatever,and the same Non-American enemy. Seriously,I played most of them. They're interchangeable. Bring back Unreal. I wanna kill agile lizard men with energy projection powers with an anti aircraft gun on foot.

Finally,my last shred of contempt is used on Arena Fighters,like Mortal Kombat and soul Calibur. Yeah,the often have decent stories...But the framing device is often quite ill suited to the story. It's just a long string of bouts,and you'd lose nothing of the experience if you completely remove the story elements,because it's so difficult to convey the plot on the arena and combatants without the cutscene in between.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
Racing games and sports games have never been all that interesting to me, especially with how badly the computer cheats in said genres. Same with 4x games. Games are no fun when the developer's idea for making the game harder is "cheat like a ************". Fighting games also suffer from this issue, but I still enjoy them sometimes. Unless the block/counter/dodge mechanics are unintuitive.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
Military shooters: never been big on the whole war thing. I'll happily play shooters like GoldenEye, Doom or Serious Sam, but the whole massive-inverted-quotes realistic modern military shooter just... bores me. It doesn't help that the shift towards realism has also meant a shift away from fun. I want to carry 50 guns the size of busses that shoot various coloured lasers and lightning, not one machine gun and a sidearm.

Sports Sims: While I definitely recognise that being able to near perfectly replicate a football match is a great technical achievement, I often find the games themselves to be lacking in enjoyment. Maybe it's got something to do with the fact that I'm not a particularly sporty person, but even when it comes to sports I do like it's the same level of yawn. Gran Turismo will never be as fun as, say, Burnout or Mario Kart.

Hmm, maybe you could make the case that I just don't like realism in my games.

krazykidd said:
I also hate Wrpgs . Too much tolkien . Not enough originality .
It just occurred to me that I've never actually played a WRPG. I've played a few JRPGs, but no WRPG has interested me enough to pick it up.

Black Reaper

Aug 19, 2011
thejackyl said:
Fighting Games: Why spend time getting good at them when it's still possible to be beaten by an epileptic who is falling down the stairs?. Also, I'm not good at the personally.
Henkie36 said:
Fighting games. It's just randomly mashing buttons, if you want to know what I'm on about just watch Yathzee's review of Soul Calibur 4.
Why so much hate for fighting games?
If your problem with fighting games is that a turbo controller could win a match,you are playing the wrong fighting game
With games like Soul Calibur and DOA on one side of the scale,there are games like Blazblue and guilty gear in the other side

If you start mashing buttons in Blazblue,you would probably win,but only because your opponent would be busy laughing at how stupid you look,unless you are using stylish mode,but even then a seasoned player could easily wipe the floor with you
Guilty Gear doesn't have stylish mode,and if you start mashing,you would look as stupid as if you did it in Blazblue

As for fighters having bland characters,both of these games have some pretty unique characters

However,Blazblue and Guilty Gear have their own set of problems,like being fucking hard to get into

As for my tastes in games,personally i don't hate any particular genre,even if 90% of everything is crap,the remaining 10% isn't
For instance,i usually don't like sports game,but i loved Mario Strikers since you could spend the whole match punching other people,who were quite vocal about it

If there was one thing i would condemn,it would be anything turn based,or games in which the combat consists on clicking on things until they die,such as Skyrim or WoW,but even then they have some virtues,like Skyrim's world and WoW's ummm
...social aspect?
another think i don't like is 3d fighters,unless they look pretty nice,like the new JoJo game,or smash bros

Epicspoon

May 25, 2010
Most sports games, but the Mario ones are okay because you can actually do stuff in those that you can't do in real life making them more interesting.

On a side note I'm terrible at shoot em ups and fighting games but I love the everliving crap out of them.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Fighting games with the exception of Super Smash Bros. You can learn moves that require you to remember the 18 button sequence and still be beaten by someone who's jumping while kicking. I enjoyed them at some point, but they just got old.

Sports games. I don't have much of an interest in sports (except the Olympics which I ADORE) so I don't have much interest in playing it myself. When it comes to actually playing it physically I enjoy it though.

MMORPGS and Western RPG are two genres I can't get into for some reason. I just don't care, but I don't know why.

Arfonious

Nov 9, 2009
MMOs and sports games mainly

And multiplayer only games where you have to play with or against people you don't know

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
Any kind of sports games that doesn't involve riding around on pieces of wood/metal.
Also, racing games that don't involve either weapons or anti-gravity vehicles.

edit: also, as someone who isn't horrible at fighting games, I have to point out that if you're getting beaten by someone mashing, you're horrible at fighting games. Any other normal criticisms leveled at the genre(the genre stagnated 15 years ago, ridiculous learning curves, crappy stories, etc) are completely reasonable, but seriously, if mashers beat you, you're just bad.

Insanity72

Feb 14, 2011
Racing games and Sport Games. I don't like either of them in real life so it seems to extend to video games as well. Although I did enjoy playing Blood Bowl.....but that's a bit different to normal sport.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Ridiculously punishing games a la Super Meat Boy. Where's the fun when I'm just permanently dead?

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
I don't really like racing or sports games with a few exceptions. I loved Rollcage and Wipeout and even Burnout. And I adore Blood Bowl but that's less an actual sports game and more a strategy game.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
Driving games, the ultra-realistic kind, not the absurd kart racer kind.

RTS, just never really appealed to me. I can handle TBS, XCOM was fun.

Everything else I can usually find at least one game in that genre that I like.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Sports Games:
I hate sports so why the hell would I play a game based around them?

Racing Games:
They just seem to bore me. I don't get the idea of playing a game dedicated to moving around a race track as fast as possible when I could play something like Just Cause 2 when I can race around a city and then crash my car into the nearest military base, jump out in a parachute and start braining soldiers with Dual-Revolvers.

Fighting Games:
I will admit, I am starting to get back into this genre thanks to BlazBlue and Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3, but the one thing that keeps driving me away is that these games pretty much thrive on going online and fighting other people. The problem here is that I have a crap internet connection and suck goats at the genre so all I'm going to do is find the same few people on a rather laggy server and get curbstomped before I get a single hit in. Offline however is a tonne of fun for me!

RTS Games:
Same reason as for fighting games, except I don't even find going offline fun. I'm fine with TBS games though!