The genre you never really cared for

Razentsu

Jun 21, 2011
Fighting Games: Why spend time getting good at them when it's still possible to be beaten by an epileptic who is falling down the stairs?. Also, I'm not good at the personally.
Fighting games. It's just randomly mashing buttons, if you want to know what I'm on about just watch Yathzee's review of Soul Calibur 4.
Fighting games with the exception of Super Smash Bros. You can learn moves that require you to remember the 18 button sequence and still be beaten by someone who's jumping while kicking. I enjoyed them at some point, but they just got old.
I'm speaking off a vibe I'm feeling, but fighting games aren't about combos. It's a common misconception that I feel I need to clear up. I don't mind if people don't like fighting games, but it just bugs me how often this idea is perpetuated. This idea bugs me not only because it is wrong, but because it scares people away from the genre.

Fighting games are not about huge combos, crazy complicated commands, or flashy moves. Fighting games are about strategy, quick-decision making and psychology. It's all about hitting your opponent, in-game and mentally. Combos only happen after you've opened up your foe, and serve as your reward for doing so. You've got to develop strategies, adapt your strategies, and instil fear in your opponent.

Just some advice:

If you're new, I would advise against learning big combos right away. Instead, learn a few useful moves for your character, and learn when and why you should apply them. In a lot of games, five or seven useful moves is enough for you to be pretty decent with your character. Learn to block/punish. Develop a basic strategy. Then learn an simple/easy combo or two, just so you have a decent reward for your efforts. Spending a little bit of time learning these should make you unbeatable to button mashing and general poor play.

You just have to think. Focus on what your opponent is doing, and see what you can do to counter him. Do that, and you will do infinitely better than you would if you had focused on doing that one big combo you learned, but could never hit because you never learned how to actually hit your opponent.

Later on, when you are more comfortable with the game and your character, you can learn more difficult combos and tackle more difficult concepts like hit-confirming, option-selects, and general pressure. Learn at your own pace. The psychology aspect of fighting games will present itself naturally with experience.

There's a reason top players can dominate in a fighting game they rarely play, and it's not because they know big combos. It's because they have better sense of strategy and psychology than most other players. The only time where big combos are going to make a real difference is when both players are close in general skill level.

TL;DR - Just play smart, like you would in any other game. Do what makes sense.

Pulse

Nov 16, 2012
I like fighting games, but the only moves I seem to be able to do reliably are v and ^v. So for me it boils down to finding a character with a coinciding good moveset (noobsmoke was a good one). So I don't buy them unless I'll have people to drunkenly play 2p against (not online).

No sports games except for fifa. Yes I like football but it's far deeper than all the others IMO (tried madden, nba, golf, tennis, hockey).

No JRPGs (as in the anime style, dumb story, ff style). Not my thing.

MMOs. If the game boils down to grinding to level up, it's not for me.

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
Other than a few games I played as a kid, I could never get into sports or realistic driving games much. Fighting games aren't really my forte either.
I've had my moments with RTS, but never got far without being rushed after I meticulously put a base together.

YingDerpington said:
fucking horror games... I just can't stand those!
I can watch just about any horror movie and I find them dull, laughable and unscary. But these games just force the scary shit on you out of nowhere and it's worse because you're actively making this shit happen!
Some people enjoy the adrenaline, heh heh. Maybe you'd like something more psychological, like Shattered Memories, or Deadly Premonition?

Pulse said:
MMOs. If the game boils down to grinding to level up, it's not for me.
Remembering my middle school addiction to Runescape. Played it until I suddenly realized that I was mining for days just so I could mine something better for even longer.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
Driving, Sports and skateboard games

If you play them you are one of the least interesting people on the planet.

This sweeping generalisation was brought to you by V.Monkai

m19

Jun 13, 2012
MMO. I can't see the appeal. All people seem to be doing is grinding for pointless items.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Fighting games and sports games seem to be my main gripe.

That and maybe some MMO's since to me they feel and play the same and come complete with their own asshats.

Techsmart07

Mar 5, 2011
I could never get into fighting games. For a game that's primarily about playing with other people, it tends to make social situations very boring very quick. Either one guy already plays the game a lot and runs everyone over, making the game very boring, or nobody has played it before, and is switched to something else because everyone has to learn the controls. Playing one alone is just as bad, as there's extremely little replayability without going multiplayer.

Racing games aren't my cup of tea, just couldn't get into them.

Sim games - See Racing games.

Sports games - Takes the parts of sports I enjoy (Running around and spending time with friends) out of sports. The rest is boring. I would rather play in real life and suck than play a game and be good at it when it comes to this.

MMORPGs - I would love to get into a good MMORPG, but it requires either A) friends who are all interested in playing it a fair bit or B) willingness to spend lots of time with people who may or may not turn out to be a pain in the rear. I never had good experiences with clans, either we get bored of each other and disperse quickly, or there is so much inside drama that I don't want to deal with it. Simply put - I don't dislike MMORPGs, I just hate dealing with some of the social aspects of it.

On the other hand, my favorite genres
Tactical RPG - See Fire emblem. I haven't found one I didn't like.
FPS games, especially survival ones
WRPGs - I love exploring and finding new things
Platformers - Cave Story is still one of my favorite games ever made.
RTS and TBS games - There are many small nuances of gameplay that make the difference of winning a match, it is fun to find the best way to do something.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
uchytjes said:
I hate fighting games. Why? too much time needed to invest in order to get good. I do not understand the appeal of them. Unless you A: have friends or B: have an amazing internet connection I don't see why anyone would play it.

So, what genre in gaming do you just not care for?
I love certain fighting games, but I agree with your point with a number of franchises. I won't bother with the latest Soul Calibur, Tekken, Marvel VS Cap, Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter games.

However, I do recommend you try out the older Dead or Alive titles (specifically DOA2,3,or DOA2 Ultimate, or Dimensions on the 3DS). I've been playing them since the Saturn era. And whilst I've never been amazing at them, the greater emphasis on timing rather than learning stupidly complicated moves make them easier to get into.

And if that fails, assuming you're a retro gamer, try playing a copy of either Fighting Vipers 1 or 2. Again, these games are a blessing because they're uncomplicated, but still fun either 1 or 2 players.

As for me...Western RPGs. I tend to find both the settings and stories boring i.e. Fallout (old and new), Elder Scrolls, any game by Bioware. I've tried a few times, but they lack the kind of decent storytelling I'm accustomed to in plot driven video games.

Not touched RTS games since Dune 2000. They seem too complicated, and I prefer turn based so I can spend time planning strategies, as opposed to RTS, the quick thinking feels a lot like trial and error.

Then, there's the sub-genre of sim racers such as Gran Turismo or Forza. It appears that the races are nothing more than grinding for the main aspect of the game, which is collecting cars for the sake of collecting cars. As a preference, I'd prefer an arcade racer where the intensity is at maximum from the very start.

Open world games are also a big turn off for me. Any game with huge cities to explore are usually cities that aren't worth exploring. These games tend to be adequate at various gameplay styles, but not great at any one thing. Examples are Assassins Creed or Skyrim. I'd rather play Tenchu or Dark Souls, with less exploration, but more interesting or better level design, and better thought-out and involving gameplay.

Strazdas said:
Cry Wolf said:
I'd go as far as saying I loathe fighting games. A genre of games that are purely about violence and particularly shallow game play. Seriously, guys? Why do these still exist?
Because many people are shallow and glorify violence.
Well, that's borderline offensive. I don't see how they are any more shallow, or glorify violence to a higher degree than the majority of other genres out there.

If you must know, people enjoy fighters mainly due to the skill that's involved in perfect timing. Whilst this is becoming uncommon, there is a dying breed of gamers that mainly play for the gameplay and the feeling of improvement (as opposed to, say, leveling, grinding, trial and error, etc).

Also, many love the atmosphere of fighting games i.e. Soul Calibur looks and feels more involving and epic than any fantasy adventure made in the west in recent years.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I have never been a fan of MMORPG's mainly because of the time that you usually have to invest in the game to get good at it, which I have never had the time or the patience for really. I like to play a game, get swept along in the story and end it.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
I don't like sports games and I'm generally not a fan of fighting games. I've lost interest in RTSs too, prefer TBS stuff now. The only MOBA I've tried was LOL, and I didn't like that much either. So if they're all faiiirly similar then I probably just don't like MOBAs.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Sports and Racing. As a kid I did play me some Fifa and Need for Speed, but compared to other genres those two don't come even close.

iwinatlife

Aug 21, 2008
Woo for being the minority my favorite Genres being fighting(especially Soul caliber and Tekken), Turn based JRpgs, Action WRPGS,RTS, Grand Turn based strategy,Certain Sim games(sim city, harvest moon, The sims etc) MMOs, and MOBAs

OT:Not big on horror, Realistic Racing(I love Burnout), annnd sports

felbot

May 11, 2011
Daveman said:
Ridiculously punishing games a la Super Meat Boy. Where's the fun when I'm just permanently dead?
you wouldn't be dead if you where better at them, just saying.

also there is a lot of people here who don't like fighting games, which is really weird to me, I know the escapist is filled with a bunch of casual gamers and such but I figured fighting games would be perfect for them.
apparently not.

anyway on topic, I would say rts but I kinda like some of them, I suck at them horrible but I still like wc3. I actually do despise sports games a bit but then I don't like real world sports anyway so its hardly a surprise.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
MMOs and simulation games are probably the big two genres I have no interest in. They both just cannot grab my attention in any meaningful way.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
felbot said:
Daveman said:
Ridiculously punishing games a la Super Meat Boy. Where's the fun when I'm just permanently dead?
you wouldn't be dead if you where better at them, just saying.
Well obviously, but I also wouldn't be dead as much if they weren't so ridiculously punishing. Hence I dislike the genre.

Fishcactus

Mar 8, 2012
DaWaffledude said:
Horror. Horror, horror, horror, horror, HORROR. How anyone get get enjoyment out of it... *shudders*
The enjoyment is from not enjoying yourself ;)

OT
Sports games: Sport has never appealed to me...ergo sports games do not appeal to me

MOBA's: The whole levelling during a match thing never appealed to me, and the lack of maps too

JRPG's: I hate turn based fighting, and most of Yahtzee's complaints about the genre mirror my own feelings

Modern realistic military shooters: I can see why people might like them, but...zzzzzz

To buck the trend, I don't mind fighting games. They're fun to play with your mates at the arcade...people still go to arcades...right?

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
Sports games. Probably because I don't care about sports. Also, JRPGs, though to be fair, I don't have a whole lot of experience with them. And almost anything turn-based.[footnote]Except Civ 5, which is pretty awesome.[/footnote]
xPixelatedx said:
First person Shooters. Don't get me wrong I still play them from time to time, but umm, yeah, not the biggest fan, at all. They've become far too simplistic in this day and age, and just not my cup of tea. I used to absolutely love games like Turok, Duke Nukem, Doom, and Golden eye, but all for reasons outside of the fact that you were in FPS view and shooting a gun. Now that's the selling point, and aside from running in hallways and shooting other people, there isn't much going on. Hell, even putting aside the retardedly simplistic level design and lack of puzzles, I don't remember the last new FPS that had swim-able water! That's how simple and boring these games have gotten, water is too advanced and colorful for them now.

And yeah, I blame CoD since most developers admit they are just trying to copy that formula, even if they aren't making FPS games! *CoughRE6Cough*
Far Cry 3 had swimmable water. As did Dishonored. And Skyrim.[footnote]You shoot bows and magic, it totally counts.[/footnote]

Just sayin'.

Snownine

Apr 19, 2010
There is only one genre I dislike and that is sports games like football and baseball. I find sports incredibly dull as is and the games based on them more so.