The Last Airbender is now this year's Eragon?!

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Aura Guardian said:
Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 7%. I can't wait for Moviebob's review. I want him to destroy it.
Me too.
Apparently he made Iroh evil.
IROH!
And it also takes place in an a Post Apocalyptic future...

YonderTunic

Mar 4, 2010
I for one, can only say I am glad I didn't get my hopes up. Avatar was an amazing show, with equal parts action and humor. All the commercials showed a lack of any humor whatsoever, and the action looked simply "meh", at the very best.

Still upset that it sucks, but...what are you going to do?

kelnadine

May 18, 2008
This has made me kind of sad. I'm a big fan of the animated series and I wanted to see the movie do well. I will still see it and form my own opinion, but my hopes for it have gone down.

Nfritzappa

Apr 1, 2010
Just got back from seeing it.

Theres no King Bumi in it.
Everyone's name is mispronounced
the acting is flat
the story is just barely close to the first book
There was maybe 1 or 2 good parts in the entire thing.
My life is ruined :(

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
I thought it was going to suck, because the anime series does a great job of telling the story and trying to cram the entire first season into a movie was doomed to fail.

escapistraptor

Dec 1, 2009
Just came back from watching it. Their were a couple of good things, a few great things, a couple of bad things, and shitty, shitty SHITTY dialogue. So it averaged out to be mediocre in general.

I'm a fan of the series though, and I would like to hear what Avatar virgins who saw this movie have to say about it.

Eklyx

Jul 2, 2009
Yeah, just got back from seeing this...thing, and I don't even get how someone could take such a great story and turn it into such a bland hour and a half. I feel like the characters could have been cardboard cutouts and the fight scenes could have been omitted completely because of how slow and unimpresive they were. The only saving grace for this movie was an incredible (though unintentional) comedic turn by Aasif Mandvi. Don't see this movie, if you like the show you will hate what it did to it and even if you didn't the story is a mess and the editing is just a joke.

procyonlotor

Jun 12, 2010
ultrachicken said:
How could you make a competent movie about a 12 year old saving the world in live action?
This is where I point you toward Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. Good movie.

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
I'm one of those 15 avatar fans you're talking about, and I'm still going to go see it. Having other people tell me it sucks isn't good enough for me, and if it does make a huge mess of what I consider to be a series with great fun and excellent storytelling, I'm just going to watch the animated series again after.

I knew this movie was going to be less awesome than the series when I saw the first teaser trailer, because in all the frames I have seen of this movie up until now Aang is acting like a total badass instead of the little fun loving kid.
The only way I can make watching this movie seem like a negative experience for me is by regretting to have spent the money on a ticket. If it does indeed suck, it will make my watching the series again all the more enjoyable.

Ham Blitz

May 28, 2009
I saw the movie and died inside... They fucked up so many parts of it (by that I mean things that they didn't cut for speed), most of the bending attacks took a 5 to ten second dance to summon a small blast of their element, and most of the character's names were pronounced wrong. I know some of the things I hate about it are petty fan things, and I wasn't expecting much, but it failed at so many things.
This didn't bother me too much, but it was lame that Fire benders needed fire around them to actually use the power instead of just summoning it.
And yes, they ended it like the first book planning for another movie.
Edit: I forgot to mention, they don't even try to be funny. Sokka is an "All-Serious" Character throughout the whole thing.

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
I had hope for the movie but the powers that be in Hell hollywood went and completely destroyed any and all hope I had for a decent live action adaptation When M fucking Night shamalan was named the director. but hey maybe one day when and if this blight is forever buried a better director will try again and do the series justice with a proper live action movie

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
ScarletScapegrace said:
I (and countless other Avatar fans) felt this was a great opportunity to show what a great series this was to the rest of the world.
I NEVER thought that and i'm a HUGE avatar fan...

But seriously, did you REALLY expect more from M.Night? What part of M.Night do you not understand? He hasn't made a good movie probably since SIGNS and even that is arguable depending on who you talk to.

Frankly, even IF this movie was ANY good, it could NEVER EVER IN A MILLION YEARS top the finale of the show. It just doesn't get better than the 4 part series finale.

Legend of J

Feb 28, 2010
ScarletScapegrace said:
Avatar: the Last Airbender (or the Legend of Aang for those of you across pond)
You what here in the uk ive only heard it being called Avatar: the last airbender and im from england 0_0. I mainly know of it from that game which i spent more time going to the shops and buying it than playing it XD.

WarriorsDawn

Jul 14, 2008
Never cared enough to watch the show, because the animation is far too close to anime for me. The trailer was pretty terrible, and once post-production 3D was announced, I knew it was gonna be awful. There is no better way to tell that a company has no hope in a movie than last minute a 3D conversion.

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
I might see it with a friend some time in a few weeks. We're both fans of the original series, we've seen them whole... She hasn't got my cynicism though, I'm sure the movie's gonna be pretty bad.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
tellmeimaninja said:
To be honest, I was kind of hoping this movie would fail miserably. I don't know why.
Because it is impossible to fit the entire avatar series into a single film and therefore it would never be as good as the cartoon. Also, the original avatar is a cartoon and this is not, which takes away from part of Avatar's awesome. Then, on top of that, if it turned out to be a good movie, most people would remember a sub-par movie rather than the excellence of the series, effectively dismissing the series into the dark depths of the under(world)net. Whereas if it fails, people will forget it/not see it and it won't tarnish the reputation of the series ...
Was that close to why? Because that is why I want it to fail.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Well that's a shame, although to be honest I had suspected as much. Live action versions of anime shows rarely work when adapted for the big screen.

ScarletScapegrace

Oct 4, 2009
MrBrightside919 said:
ScarletScapegrace said:
I (and countless other Avatar fans) felt this was a great opportunity to show what a great series this was to the rest of the world.
I NEVER thought that and i'm a HUGE avatar fan...

But seriously, did you REALLY expect more from M.Night? What part of M.Night do you not understand? He hasn't made a good movie probably since SIGNS and even that is arguable depending on who you talk to.

Frankly, even IF this movie was ANY good, it could NEVER EVER IN A MILLION YEARS top the finale of the show. It just doesn't get better than the 4 part series finale.
Note that I said "other fans" and not "every fan on the face of the earth."

And yes, I knew full well of Shamwow's track record. I knew the movie could have ranged from halfway-decent-ish to bad-with-a-few-redeeming-values, but I didn't expect him to eviscerate the material and display its entrails for all to see.