The Matrix 4: Resurrections Trailer

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I think for myself I had some initial hesitation, like leave it the fuck alone, but after seeing a couple teasers some containing different footage I have to say I'm a little intrigued. I can't help but hope that this might be a bait and switch. Like maybe this isn't just robots bad again, or some kind of reboot.

Maybe this might be some kind of jacobs ladder-esque deal where this matrix was never real or a 10 cloverfield lane deal with an entirely different story. I could get on board with something like that.

I haven't watched any videos yet where they try to analyze the teasers for hints. I imagine with the trailer coming out here shortly theres not much point.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
It looks like a soft reboot, a passing of the torch movie. Reeves and Moss are too old to star in an action movie anymore, so they're gonna give them a young cast of hot mid-20 somethings to fist bump and call cool, in the hopes of starting a cinematic universe.

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I like the idea of how if an alternate version of yourself dies or is killed, the power transfer to the alternate self.
Can I interject and call shannanigans? Because unless every version of John Doe dies at the same time, then that means that the last John Doe is going to end up being a god when all his counterparts have died.

(Unless I'm missing something, it's been ages since I saw the film, and didn't even see all of it.)

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Can I interject and call shannanigans? Because unless every version of John Doe dies at the same time, then that means that the last John Doe is going to end up being a god when all his counterparts have died.
That's the entire point. It's one thing, if that person dies from natural causes, old age, or died from something else in their own dimension. It's another thing when 1 version of a person goes completely kill crazy and starts going after other versions of themselves to become an all powerful god. "The One" is what Yu Law wanted, and almost succeeded. That's why he got super powerful in the first place.

(Unless I'm missing something, it's been ages since I saw the film, and didn't even see all of it.)
Thankfully, I just explained it. I suggest you correct yourself and rewatch when you get the chance.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
It looks like a soft reboot, a passing of the torch movie. Reeves and Moss are too old to star in an action movie anymore, so they're gonna give them a young cast of hot mid-20 somethings to fist bump and call cool, in the hopes of starting a cinematic universe.
Reeves is too old to star in an action movie? 3 John Wick movies say hello with a 4th on the way.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines

There's the full trailer.

I don't know, it just kinda looks like the Matrix but with no style? Very generic. Not a single all black leather coat.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Reeves is too old to star in an action movie? 3 John Wick movies say hello with a 4th on the way.
But he won't hit as hard and high and as fast as he did eighteen years ago. I would have preferred a new protagonist myself.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I mean the Wick movies are, I hesitate to use the word grounded, but grounded bang bang shooty shoot movies. They're not martial art wire flying masterpieces. Reeves and Moss are both too old to fit into skin tight leather and do ground breaking stunt work. I mean that's why its clearly a passing of the torch movie.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I don't know, it just kinda looks like the Matrix but with no style? Very generic. Not a single all black leather coat.
Styles change though. If they tried to go for a similar trench coat style it would've just looked a little silly. I mean, back then it looked cool, but now not so much. It's not going to have the stylish impact as the original movie had, and that's the uphill climb that would've always be there if they decided to make another movie decades later.

Anyway, the trailer looks fine, nothing terribly offensive. I can say it atleast isn't sporting the same dull non-cinematography as all of Disney's live-action output. Both Reeves and Moss look very old and stiff, probably because they're very old and stiff. As much people like to talk about Reeves not aging the dude is old now. It was already apparent in John Wick 2 that it was hard for him to will his old body into the fast movement the movie required of him. And from the short segments in this trailer it looks even worse. This is no offense to Reeves or Moss, people just get older.

I liked Reeves sitting in a bathtub and it seems like they're going for a sort of mundane, boring everyday life kinda vibe to contrast against what is really going on. The first movie started off somewhat similarly, but it had a more threatening and oppressive atmosphere as opposed to the somewhat calm and playful one in the trailer.

So far it doesn't look too terrible, but it's the Wachoski's so... yeah.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Styles change though. If they tried to go for a similar trench coat style it would've just looked a little silly. I mean, back then it looked cool, but now not so much. It's not going to have the stylish impact as the original movie had, and that's the uphill climb that would've always be there if they decided to make another movie decades later.
I'm not looking specifically for trench coats (even though honestly I'd be fine with that), just literally anything that keeps Neo and the gang visually distinct from the rest of the Matrix. I'm sure if they tried hard enough they could have come up with a modern equivalent. If you removed all the green symbols and a handful of scenes, no way anyone would be able to tell this was a Matrix movie.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

As far as no black leather trench coat, that is a huge improvement. In an age where wearing black always meant that you are "serious", cool, or "edgy", it definitely comes off as silly later and by today's standards. Those are parts of the late 90s and early 2000s I'll never miss. It worked for some properties, but from for most others it didn't work right. Especially if we're talking about superhero movies back in those times. Looking at you X-Men trilogy. I know I got tired of the leather and trench coat get up when the second Matrix movie came out.

Last edited:

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
As far as no black leather trench coat, that is a huge improvement. In an age where wearing black always meant that you are "serious", cool, or "edgy", it definitely comes off as silly later and by today's standards. Those are parts of the late 90s and early 2000s I'll never miss. It worked for some properties, but from for most others it didn't work right. Especially if we're talking about superhero movies back in those times. Looking at you X-Men trilogy. I know I got tired though leather and trench coat get up when the second Matrix movie came out.
Can I just say how fucking mad I am the leather trench coat got appropriated by edgy racist 90s school shooters? I have a black leather trenchcoat, I love it, one of the best gifts I ever got from my parents, and its really nice, like $750 nice. In High School I was told not to wear it because I could be hiding a weapon, despite not being anti-social and showing no signs of violent tendencies and being a varsity player with a relatively large friend group. In college I had campus security stop me multiple times asking where I was going, when I was just in my jacket with a backpack on the way to class, and students often gave me weird looks.
Like it just pisses me off entire fashion choices can just be written off like that. I think leather trench coats need to make a comeback. Fuck I think cloaks and capes and half-face masquerade masks need to make a comeback.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Can I just say how fucking mad I am the leather trench coat got appropriated by edgy racist 90s school shooters? I have a black leather trenchcoat, I love it, one of the best gifts I ever got from my parents, and its really nice, like $750 nice. In High School I was told not to wear it because I could be hiding a weapon, despite not being anti-social and showing no signs of violent tendencies and being a varsity player with a relatively large friend group. In college I had campus security stop me multiple times asking where I was going, when I was just in my jacket with a backpack on the way to class, and students often gave me weird looks.
Like it just pisses me off entire fashion choices can just be written off like that. I think leather trench coats need to make a comeback. Fuck I think cloaks and capes and half-face masquerade masks need to make a comeback.
I know about those stories and sorry you had to go through that. I know at least in Michigan, they stopped doing that for most colleges at least, in the mid-2000s.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

Of all the directions to take it, this feels like the laziest one possible. There are times where I can really believe the allegations that the Wachowskis stole the original Matrix script and then had no idea what to do after it.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Of all the directions to take it, this feels like the laziest one possible. There are times where I can really believe the allegations that the Wachowskis stole the original Matrix script and then had no idea what to do after it.
Didn't they also get sued by someone claiming they stole two treatments for movies and turned it into Matrix Reloaded and Matrix Revolution, and that's why none of the movies seem to follow the same lore, theme and tone?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I never knew about those allegations. I know they we're not the first persons to come up with an idea about a false reality. Dark City had them beat by 2 years. They even used certain sets from the 1997 movie and put them in the first Matrix movie.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I never knew about those allegations. I know they we're not the first persons to come up with an idea about a false reality. Dark City had them beat by 2 years. They even used certain sets from the 1997 movie and put them in the first Matrix movie.
I wanna say I recall the 2002 film Equilibrium somehow being tied up in this "The Matrix is a stolen idea" controversy, but it's been so long since thought about it, I might be mixing it up with something else. I also vaguely remember the script supposedly having been stolen from a black woman? Not to try and bring the double whammy race/gender into the issue, just something I remember hearing in casual passing.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I wanna say I recall the 2002 film Equilibrium somehow being tied up in this "The Matrix is a stolen idea" controversy, but it's been so long since thought about it, I might be mixing it up with something else. I also vaguely remember the script supposedly having been stolen from a black woman? Not to try and bring the double whammy race/gender into the issue, just something I remember hearing in casual passing.
I heard about that, but I think that lady claimed she entered the story into a competion in the 80's for a magazine or something that the Wachoski's set up, but by that point they would've still been in high school.

I think the only concrete evidence of the Wachoski's "stealing" anything for The Matrix was Grant Morrison's Invisibles. And anyway, The Matrix was never so unique that two or more people couldn't come up with this scenario. Just like James Cameron did with The Terminator they just knew how to package it extremely well for a mainstream audience.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Eeeeh. I can't speak to the story direction yet, but maaan I don't know if it's just me, but it seems a significant step backwards on the effects. Heavy heavy reliance on CGI instead of practical effects. It looks so weightless like everyone is clearly jumping around on green screens. Reminds me a lot of terminator Genesys in the effects department.

I'm a little concerned having read online that this was indeed a studio push and the wachoskis sound about as involved as George Lucas was in the prequels, as in someone else is doing all the work, and they're just giving things a thumbs up. Grain of salt, but I was not blown away or made more excited by the trailer.

*Spoilers, sounds like it literally is just a sequel, bad robots 2.0..blegh*

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan