The Matrix 4: Resurrections Trailer

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I've read over the years, it seems to me that many people just wanted more of the same from the sequels. I'm grateful they didn't do a Die Hard 2/Speed 2/Home Alone 2/Dirty Dozen: Next Mission.
Actually, that was part of the problem with at least Reloaded. While there are some unique plot twists in the whole prophecy twist, it doubled down on trying to act and sound smart and use all these words and terms that don't mean anything and add nothing to the script. The sequels have this problem acting like they were reinventing the wheel, at least with their action, and it was just more of the same to me. There were some impressive stunt feats, don't get me wrong, but I just know I got kind of bored by the latter half of the second film. The third film I barely remember watching. I didn't see it in theaters, but I did not see it until it reach DVD during my first year in college. There are definitely plenty of moments in the second movie where they're trying to do some of the same stuff as in the first film, but less impressive. The whole Neo stopping a whole bunch of bullets thing. To me The Animatrix did the most different. Reloaded and Revolutions were things that had already been done the first film, for the most part. In addition, I found a lot of the war sequences hard to watch in the third movie. I don't know what it is, but they hurt my eyes. The dirt brown apocalypse filter does not help for the machine battles, nor does all the green rain against the multiple Smiths.

Like I said before, with me at least, there had been so many movies before the sequels that either copied or parodying The Matrix. So anything that comes next seems less impressive if they're not at the top of their game, nor if the pieces and elements fit right. Give me The One any day over the Matrix sequels in terms of action sequences. Story, character, and plot wise, give me the director's cut of Dark City.

Last edited:

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Actually, that was part of the problem with at least Revolutions. While there are some unique plot twists in the whole prophecy twist, it doubled down on trying to act and sound smart and use all these words how it terms that don't mean anything and add nothing to the script. The sequels have this problem acting like they were reinventing the wheel, at least with their action, and it was just more of the same to me. There were some impressive stunt feats, don't get me wrong, but I just know I got kind of bored by the latter half of the second film. The third film I barely remember watching.
Pretty much my feelings. Despite the ending of the second stating Neo is a programming bug that is buried too deep in the foundation for them to remove and that the prophesy was just a bandaid kill script, it felt like the film had already dragged you along on it so far that it was just irritating at that point and then they double down on it with messiah stuff and it only gets worse in the third film. And yeah mid-way through the second is when I just started getting bored. So much of it dragged on aesthetical choices with merovingian and club stuff like "yeah man we already did this".

I'm struggling to remember, even having just seen it months ago, most of the third film. Smith spreads, bullshit at a train station, more prophesy trash, zion gets attacked, Neo fights Smith in a fight that feels immense and yet somehow...tired. I agree all of it just seemed like it was trying too hard to seem smart and witty. The second and third films stop "hinting" at a prophesy and seem to never shut up about it. Lots of exposition dump for a movie essentially about buggy code.

I think, as an engineer, I really started losing interest when things needed a visual reference. I can't remember why they needed to find the architect, or seraph or the key maker when it's all just code. Any other self-respecting scifi film and would have had a dude at a keyboard typing furiously. It became less and less engaging from a scifi perspective and more like I'm getting lectured about the bible by born-again trenchcoated cyberpunk larpers. My "suspension of disbelief" waned and then winked out.

I'd still stick to my guns that Matrix straddled on the edge of hard scifi with some prodding at philosophical ideas and cool kungfu stuff. Even up until the end the argument was left open that Morpheus's beliefs were just that, beliefs.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Just rewatched the Trilogy. You can't deny that the whole trilogy did made an impact and impression.

The Matrix 1 had the best story of the trilogy arguably.

The Matrix Reloaded had the best action set pieces and hype moments

The Matrix Revolutions imo was "the climactic final battle against Skynet, that we never got in the Terminator movies"

Now to see how Resurrections might end up being even worse then the last two sequels which to a lot of people are still bad that they are in the camp of "There were no sequels"

Reactions: Hawki

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Did any of you also played Enter The Matrix and Matrix Online
I played Enter the Matrix (on Gamecube) actually pretty good though to those who haven't reading this you won't miss much it just details Niobe and Ghost's part of the story trying to shut down the power plant.

Matrix Online I never played though due to it being an MMO and for the time needed a decent spec computer which I didn't really have.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
I only watched all the live action cutscenes of Enter the Matrix, in the Matrix Reloaded special features. Seemed not bad, but definitely unneeded.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I've played a fair bit of Enter the Matrix. I got as far as the segment in Niobe's campaign where you've got to flee the Smith clones in a building.

It's pretty meh, to be honest. There's fun to be had, but a lot of frustration as well. Especially in the sewer levels. Gah.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I've played a fair bit of Enter the Matrix. I got as far as the segment in Niobe's campaign where you've got to flee the Smith clones in a building.

It's pretty meh, to be honest. There's fun to be had, but a lot of frustration as well. Especially in the sewer levels. Gah.
What console? (I'm guessing console not PC)

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I really, really hate it when a franchise tells me that I have to watch the movie, play the game, read the book, and eat the breakfast cereal in order to have any hope of understanding the plot of any one of those forms of media. Give me a complete story in one of them.
I second this.

Though with the Matrix you don't have to play Enter the Matrix it's more a side story thing that links back into the film. It's "Here is why these characters happened to turn up at this location" thing when they're very much side characters as in the film you can pass it off as "Well they were doing some other mission" and it doesn't detract from the film as such.

I kinda hope the new film fills people in on all The Matrix Online stuff because I didn't play it and have read up on some of the stuff that happened but it sounds like a fair bit went on there.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
What console? (I'm guessing console not PC)
PS2 or Gamecube.

I really, really hate it when a franchise tells me that I have to watch the movie, play the game, read the book, and eat the breakfast cereal in order to have any hope of understanding the plot of any one of those forms of media. Give me a complete story in one of them.
I agree, but Enter the Matrix isn't that. It's a sidequel; hardly required playing for the films.

I kinda hope the new film fills people in on all The Matrix Online stuff because I didn't play it and have read up on some of the stuff that happened but it sounds like a fair bit went on there.
That's assuming that The Matrix Online is canon.

This is a rarity for me, but based on what I've read of it, I wouldn't mind if it isn't. It's got plenty of ideas that I like, but it essentially renders the ending of Revolutions redundant given how quickly the truce breaks down. Heck, Resurrections could do the same thing, but we'll see.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States

More Fan theories. One really irritates because it's not only super likely, but also derivative. That they restarted the Matrix and to keep Neo sedated they created a Matrix where he wrote a book called The Matrix which was turned into a film in this version of the Matrix. This would help convince him that the Matrix isn't real. Theres a scene in the trailer where the cops are chasing one of those Zion people through what appears to be a theater where The Matrix is playing, and then that character that says "Back to The Matrix, where it all began". That might be his Publisher. Like this is some Clive Barker or Philip K. Dick shit.

This would would be super lame. I could also swear a movie like that already exists, but it escapes me at the moment.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States

More Fan theories. One really irritates because it's not only super likely, but also derivative. That they restarted the Matrix and to keep Neo sedated they created a Matrix where he wrote a book called The Matrix which was turned into a film in this version of the Matrix. This would help convince him that the Matrix isn't real. Theres a scene in the trailer where the cops are chasing one of those Zion people through what appears to be a theater where The Matrix is playing, and then that character that says "Back to The Matrix, where it all began". That might be his Publisher. Like this is some Clive Barker or Philip K. Dick shit.

This would would be super lame. I could also swear a movie like that already exists, but it escapes me at the moment.
There was a slice of life romance anime in the late 2000s that did that. The second season ended with the viewer being told that none of the last fifteen or so episodes really happened. I bitched about it for years. Even now I haven't gotten over it and have no desire to ever see the second season again. The season still scores very high (8.9/10) with the anime community, but I definitely wasn't the only one in complete disagreement. Felt like such a waste. I have faith the filmmakers aren't stupid enough to do the same thing.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
There was a slice of life romance anime in the late 2000s that did that. The second season ended with the viewer being told that none of the last fifteen or so episodes really happened. I bitched about it for years. Even now I haven't gotten over it and have no desire to ever see the second season again. The season still scores very high (8.9/10) with the anime community, but I definitely wasn't the only one in complete disagreement. Felt like such a waste. I have faith the filmmakers aren't stupid enough to do the same thing.
Sounds like to me, they couldn't commit to an actual pairing or whatever. So instead, they decided the cop out not to upset anyone, and actually upset and disappointed everyone. Do you happen to know the name of that anime by any chance, just out of curiosity? Despite the high rating, I'm sure opinions have change either way. Love Hina used to get high ratings all the time from anime critics and some parts of the animated community, but good luck finding any defenders nowadays. Especially with highly double standard female or male abuse. More so from the western side of the anime fandom, but there are some in the Japanese phantom that don't like it either.

I never watch that many anime romance for a reason and the 2000s is no exception. That was the time where everybody was either copying Tenchi, or Love Hina, but way worse. Going to get me started on Lucky Star or Haruhi. There's a reason those shows stated from popularity and are a sign of the times. Those fans still exist, but the fan is nowhere big as I used to be back then.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

I make it a rule to never waste time with all these fan theories and videos all these chuckle heads put out on YouTube for a reason. I like to call just wait and see the actual film yourself, or wait for an actual review if you're that on the fence about seeing it. These videos are nothing more than a waste of time.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Sounds like to me, they couldn't commit to an actual pairing or whatever. So instead, they decided the cop out not to upset anyone, and actually upset and disappointed everyone. Do you happen to know the name of that anime by any chance, just out of curiosity? Despite the high rating, I'm sure opinions have change either way. Love Hina used to get high ratings all the time from anime critics and some parts of the animated community, but good luck finding any defenders nowadays. Especially with highly double standard female or male abuse. More so from the western side of the anime fandom, but there are some in the Japanese phantom that don't like it either.

I never watch that many anime romance for a reason and the 2000s is no exception. That was the time where everybody was either copying Tenchi, or Love Hina, but way worse. Going to get me started on Lucky Star or Haruhi. There's a reason those shows stated from popularity and are a sign of the times. Those fans still exist, but the fan is nowhere big as I used to be back then.
The show is...

Clannad: After Story

No, it wasn't a pairing problem. The main character's girlfriend dies and he becomes depressed and ignores his baby. I can't remember how exactly it's resolved, but it doesn't matter, because there's a magic twist (in a show that was never that magical) at the end that reverses everything and brings her back to life.

Hm... I now wonder if it was inspired by the third movie in the Apu trilogy.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The show is...

Clannad: After Story

No, it wasn't a pairing problem. The main character's girlfriend dies and he ignores his baby. I can't remember how exactly it's resolved, but it doesn't matter, because there's a magic twist (in a show that was never that magical) at the end that reverses everything and brings her back to life.

Hm... I now wonder if it was inspired by the third movie in the Apu trilogy.
Oh yeah, I know that ending you're talking about. I never watched the series, but I know about it because so many people on YouTube complain about it back in the late 2000s in the anime scene. Yeah talk about a crappy ending there. It's why I dislike the last third of Ong Bak 3. the final fight is just a vision. It was a really stupid cop out so the heroes love interest did not die. It killed any joy of me rewatching the movie.

Reactions: Ezekiel

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Welcome to big franchise video games like Warcraft and Mortal Kombat and Gears of War and Halo.

(They have their own Books and Comic Books that connect to the games directly)

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

What's up, Spider-Man?

Where the fashion in the original looked sort of rebellious, here they look like hipsters.
I'm getting more low budget cosplay vibe. It looks kind of slovenly and ill-fitting, like something thrown together from whatever you could find at a thrift store

Also, not-Laurence Fishburne needs to watch over his shoulder, cuz Joker doesn't take kindly to stealing his stuff.