The misinterpretation of evolution

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
TheDooD said:
Flac00 said:
In WarHammer40k the Emperor of Mankind tried his hardest to force people to understand science and logic is the only way. He tried peaceful methods in the past yet they didn't work. He knew the religious views, ignorant mindsets only lead to war and pointless conflicts. Too bad the Chaos Gods screwed him over and now his people are doing what he fought hard to prevent.

If the Emperor succeed humans would have really evolved in the years after his "death". Yet because the chaos gods screwed him over humans became extremely xenophobic, they are even scared of new and outside technology. Basically I think people should put logic and facts in front of "faith". If you have faith in oneself you can achieve anything you want. Being afraid and waiting for higher powers do something for you is only holding people back.
How does drawing parallels to a universe within gods DO exist, without need of proof compare to ours, where gods are something some people belive in, but no proof has ever appeared?

While i'm not deep enough in warhammer lore, i'm still pretty certain, that priests do indeed wield magic, unlike reality, and that the gods are accepted as existing by more or less everyone, unlike reality.

Maybe i'm retarded for considering WH40K to be the same world as WH:Fantasy, just 40k years later, my main knowledge iof teh WH world is form the fantasy part.

iastreb93

Jul 21, 2011
Well, I understand evolution, I believe in evolution, and half of the population of the United States don't know why is there a war in Libya. The thing is, most people don't think about their beliefs, they just HAVE beliefs. The world is so fucked up.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
teisjm said:
TheDooD said:
Flac00 said:
In WarHammer40k the Emperor of Mankind tried his hardest to force people to understand science and logic is the only way. He tried peaceful methods in the past yet they didn't work. He knew the religious views, ignorant mindsets only lead to war and pointless conflicts. Too bad the Chaos Gods screwed him over and now his people are doing what he fought hard to prevent.

If the Emperor succeed humans would have really evolved in the years after his "death". Yet because the chaos gods screwed him over humans became extremely xenophobic, they are even scared of new and outside technology. Basically I think people should put logic and facts in front of "faith". If you have faith in oneself you can achieve anything you want. Being afraid and waiting for higher powers do something for you is only holding people back.
How does drawing parallels to a universe within gods DO exist, without need of proof compare to ours, where gods are something some people belive in, but no proof has ever appeared?

While i'm not deep enough in warhammer lore, i'm still pretty certain, that priests do indeed wield magic, unlike reality, and that the gods are accepted as existing by more or less everyone, unlike reality.

Maybe i'm retarded for considering WH40K to be the same world as WH:Fantasy, just 40k years later, my main knowledge iof teh WH world is form the fantasy part.
You're not understanding why I drew parallels. Yes Gods do exist in the 40k universe yet they only gain power through believing in them and doing things that cause them to gain power, which isn't good at all. So in theory through logic and reasoning you basically are able to starve them to death. Also in both universes religion is the root of a majority of conflict so the removal of all of them for a system based on facts and logic is much better then what is roughly fairy tales. The Emperor was tired of humans fighting each other because he seen the same reason for conflict pop up over and over again. So whats better everybody still fighting about who's right or wrong. Or we all agree that we take what we know and what's been proven and run with it.

Lyinginbedmon

May 20, 2009
I believe in Evolution in the same manner as I believe in Gravity.

That is to say, I don't believe it, I know it, because it is a recognised and evidenced fact. Not only are people outright fools and idiots for denying that, but it places their view of reality farther from actual reality, which can easily result in more dangerous events and behaviours transpiring.

We should always seek for our perception of reality to match reality as closely as possible.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
TheDooD said:
teisjm said:
TheDooD said:
Flac00 said:

You're not understanding why I drew parallels. Yes Gods do exist in the 40k universe yet they only gain power through believing in them and doing things that cause them to gain power, which isn't good at all.
So in theory through logic and reasoning you basically are able to starve them to death.
Also in both universes religion is the root of a majority of conflict so the removal of all of them for a system based on facts and logic is much better then what is roughly fairy tales.
The Emperor was tired of humans fighting each other because he seen the same reason for conflict pop up over and over again. So whats better everybody still fighting about who's right or wrong. Or we all agree that we take what we know and what's been proven and run with it.
I may have misunderstood you due to not beeing able to see the content of Flac00's post, snipped away.
Still, i would find it paradoxal to defy proven existing gods through logic, just like i would abaondon my declared atheistic stand, if somehow god was unquestionably proven to exist. That in itself is true to the scientific method, of acknowledging what we know, and what has been proven to us.
If gods existed, they would be part of science, and something science would be able to try to understand and explain.
If god truly existed, the fights over right and wrong would not be based on belief in their existence, but in what they represented, more like political oppinions
And fighting gods proven to exist wouldn't be a fight of science against relegion, since relegion would just as much acknowledge their existence, it would be a fight between species (assuming the gods qualify as a species) or a fight between idealistic standpoints, much like wars faught over politics.

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
To repurpose the famous quote from Unix geekdom:

Some people, when confronted with a highly complex entity, think:
"This is so complex it must have had an intelligent designer."
Now they have two highly complex entities.

Sterling|D-Reaver

Jun 14, 2010
"A fair result can be obtained only by fully stating and balancing the facts and arguments on both sides of each question."
~Charles Darwin

Disclaimer! If you disagree with me you'd better have evidence to back you up. Also do some research and read something that doesn't obviously support your viewpoint, if your secure in your beliefs and are intelligent enough to refute an argument why won't you read what you 'opposition' give as evidence?

Four Steps to Defeating Darwin.

1. 1st Law of Thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed.

2. 2nd Law of Thermodynamics declares the impossibility of machines that generate usable energy from the abundant internal energy of nature by processes called perpetual motion of the second kind.

3. Fossil record.

4. Genes.

Now lets examine each of these!

1) First Law of Thermodynamics. This law (note: not a theory but a scientific law) teaches us that matter and energy can neither be created nor destroyed. In other words, an honest scientist will tell you that there is nothing in the observable universe that can explain either the origin of energy or matter. By logical extension, then, matter and energy had to come into being by some force outside the universe.
It's futile to resort to the big bang theory, as some evolutionists are wont to do. They say they have an explanation for the origin of the universe: it began when a ball of incredibly dense matter exploded and flung the universe into existence. Okay, fine. Now: where did that incredibly dense ball of matter come from?

2) Science supports ID more then the Evolution that Darwin theorized. Evolution teaches that the universe is headed toward increasing complexity and order. but the 2nd Law of thermodynamics says that the universe is headed toward increasing randomness and decay. I'll go with the proven law of science this time. . .

3) Fossils are the only historical evidence that we evolved and Darwin based his theory on the assumption that Transitional Forms would be discovered later, Darwin said there should be innumerable transitional forms, but there are none, period.

4) "Throughout 150 years of the science of bacteriology, there is no evidence that one species of bacteria has changed into another... Since there is no evidence for species changes between the simplest forms of unicellular life, it is not surprising that there is no evidence for evolution from prokaryotic [i.e., bacterial] to eukaryotic [i.e., plant and animal] cells, let alone throughout the whole array of higher multicellular organisms."
? Alan H. Linton

There are also many logical reasons why God exists though I am not expert in that area if thats your cup of tea well. . . Read some C. S. Lewis, he set out as an Atheist to disprove God through logic, why don't you go read what he found? (And remember my disclaimer!)
I recommend Mere Christianity, Miracles and well any others, his Space Trilogy is amazing!

?If the solar system was brought about by an accidental collision, then the appearance of organic life on this planet was also an accident, and the whole evolution of Man was an accident too. If so, then all our present thoughts are mere accidents?the accidental by-product of the movement of atoms. And this holds for the thoughts of the materialists and astronomers as well as for anyone else?s. But if their thoughts?i.e. of materialism and astronomy?are merely accidental by-products, why should we believe them to be true? I see no reason for believing that one accident should be able to give me a correct account of all the other accidents. It?s like expecting that the accidental shape taken by the splash when you upset a milkjug should give you a correct account of how the jug was made and why it was upset.?

C.S. Lewis (1898?1963), The Business of Heaven

Link Dump!!
http://www.truthinscience.org.uk/tis2/index.php/component/content/article/48.html

http://www.afa.net/Blogs/BlogPost.aspx?id=2147511115

http://creation.com/cs-lewis-and-evolution

http://www.amazon.com/C.-S.-Lewis/e/B000APXBPG/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1314640305&sr=1-1

Only 19 percent of the general public believes that life developed without any assistance or direction from a Creator.

chiMmy

Mar 8, 2010
matoasters said:
Creationism has absolutely no basis in fact, and should not be taught as such. It is the view of a religion, and thus should not be taught to kids as a scientific theory, but as a part of a religious history class, should they choose to take one.
This person knows how things work.
Religion should be optional and not forced. I really shouldn't go too much into trashtalking religion but I just have to say: Religion was made by mankind a long time ago, now however people think these things are fact.
What would happend if someone claimed to have spoken to god and all that today?
People would just assume he's crazy.

Crazy people and pathological liars has always existed. Why would some texts from a long time ago have to be true?

Oh yeah, back on track. Science should be taught as science and religion should be taught as religion. Neither should be taught as fact before actual evidence exist to prove them as facts.

I'm sorry, kind of lost my train of thought in the middle.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
darkstarangel said:
Im studying molecular biology at uni & even though we're taught evolution I still dont believe it is a valid explanation. Even the lecturers hold it at an objective stance & will confess whats just a guess & which textbook theories can easily be proven wrong with any new evidence discovered.

The sad thing is, it doesnt get enough criticism & the evidence is superficial at best. It seems infallible because all your information comes from the media which bombs the public with bias & selective data. Rather than trying to devise an explanation as to how a biological component 'evolved' alot of textbooks & even research articles & reports will just say it evolved as an exemption from explaining how, & if you learn how alot of vital biochemical pathways necessary for living are so irreducibly complex you will see why they avoid trying to give an explanation.

But I think your issue is that alot of people are choosing to disbelieve it not based on scientific detail but by choice. However considering that the media isnt exactly something to be trusted to begin with you cant really blame people for doubting it. Whats really sad is that people passionately defend evolution with such ferocity yet dont even understand the sciences that the theory is involved with. Ironically the latest defence by the theorys proponents is that people dont understand how the mechanisms for evolution work, being the reason they reject.
You must have not only some pretty poor teachers, but poor textbooks as well. There are mountains of evidence across many scientific disciplines, all pointing to evolution. If evolution were a defendant in a criminal trial, it'd be like having several dozen eyewitnesses corroborating his alibi along with every single forensic science confirming it. I'd say you have things backward, but creationism (or any flavor thereof) doesn't even have superficial evidence to stand on.

Sterling|D-Reaver said:
-insert Creationist Crap here-
Wow. Everything in that post is...an already-debunked creationist argument, indicative of someone who has only bothered to look at that which supports his world view. You even use Creationist websites as sources, and finish off with an assertion by popularity.

Normally I'd suggest you go browse talkorigins.org or potholer54's channel, but you've swallowed the crap hook line and sinker and are not likely to budge. I won't waste my time and energy on you.

DRIIV

Nov 30, 2010
Sterling|D-Reaver said:
"A fair result can be obtained only by fully stating and balancing the facts and arguments on both sides of each question."
~Charles Darwin

1) First Law of Thermodynamics. This law (note: not a theory but a scientific law) teaches us that matter and energy can neither be created nor destroyed. In other words, an honest scientist will tell you that there is nothing in the observable universe that can explain either the origin of energy or matter. By logical extension, then, matter and energy had to come into being by some force outside the universe.
It's futile to resort to the big bang theory, as some evolutionists are wont to do. They say they have an explanation for the origin of the universe: it began when a ball of incredibly dense matter exploded and flung the universe into existence. Okay, fine. Now: where did that incredibly dense ball of matter come from?

2) Science supports ID more then the Evolution that Darwin theorized. Evolution teaches that the universe is headed toward increasing complexity and order. but the 2nd Law of thermodynamics says that the universe is headed toward increasing randomness and decay. I'll go with the proven law of science this time. . .

3) Fossils are the only historical evidence that we evolved and Darwin based his theory on the assumption that Transitional Forms would be discovered later, Darwin said there should be innumerable transitional forms, but there are none, period.

4) "Throughout 150 years of the science of bacteriology, there is no evidence that one species of bacteria has changed into another... Since there is no evidence for species changes between the simplest forms of unicellular life, it is not surprising that there is no evidence for evolution from prokaryotic [i.e., bacterial] to eukaryotic [i.e., plant and animal] cells, let alone throughout the whole array of higher multicellular organisms."
? Alan H. Linton
1.) Energy was there.

2.) Isn't the second law of thermodynamics about a closed system? The Earth is not a closed system.

3.)http://www.theistic-evolution.com/transitional.html

4.) 150 years might not be long enough.

I do not know much about all of this, but this is some of what I could find.

Oct 1, 2009
The problem with people's understanding of evolution is the common belief that the existence of evolution refutes the existence of God. This is not so. Evolution is simply the mutation of a species over many generations. Now, that does not mean that species only change to their own benefit, the process is random, some traits surviving merely because those members of the species survived long enough to breed, while others did not. I myself am a Mormon, and I accept evolution out of the logic surrounding it and the overwhelming evidence supporting it. The problem may be that a lot Creationists don't try to read their scripture with openness to interpretation.

Falconsgyre

May 4, 2011
Sterling|D-Reaver said:
~Charles Darwin

Disclaimer! If you disagree with me you'd better have evidence to back you up. Also do some research and read something that doesn't obviously support your viewpoint, if your secure in your beliefs and are intelligent enough to refute an argument why won't you read what you 'opposition' give as evidence?
Let's put it this way: would you spend all day arguing with pre-schoolers? Why should I waste time and energy on you when someone else has already defeated every argument you have, several times over? When your opinion goes against the scientific consensus in such a preposterous way, it's your responsibility to educate yourself on the actual facts. Why the hell didn't you go look at the evidence for evolution first? Read a Dawkins book sometime, and come back when you can decisively refute all those arguments.

Here is the Wikipedia link to the very basics. Read it and understand it. Until you do, you have no right to complain about other people ignoring your "evidence."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evidence_for_evolution

...That being said, I'm going to waste some time on you now.
Funnily enough, there's actually no reason we can see why the first law of thermodynamics is true. Unlike most other physical laws, it doesn't seem to have a whole lot of math behind it, and seems to just be accidentally true.

That being said, in a word, my answer to you is: no. Absolutely not. This has nothing to do with evolution, as evolution deals with how species change over time. This argument isn't even wrong- it's just irrelevant. Even if I accepted that God created the universe, it would have absolutely no effect on evolutionary theory. (And by the way, where did God come from? If you're going to use the first mover argument, you're going to have to explain why the first mover didn't require a cause, too.)

Please actually study science first. If you are studying science, try harder. The second law of thermodynamics applies to the universe as a whole, or more generally states that entropy always increases in a closed system. Local areas, such as living organisms, can become more and more ordered just fine. Even if ID were true, this argument would still utterly fail because it implies that you can't go from a sperm and egg to a fully developed human. You are much more complex than those two gametes- on a local level, you reversed entropy by increasing entropy in your surroundings.

Absolutely wrong. There are tons of transitional fossils we find everywhere. Futurama showed this one the best, but I unfortunately can't find the link. In brief, this objection stems from a complete misunderstanding of the nature of species. Species are always in flux. Asking for all transitional fossils is like asking for every shade of red. You can always keep subdividing. If we go from a mammoth to an elephant, what transitional fossils do you want? Do you want one when the fur became one inch shorter? Two inches shorter? When the tusks were three inches longer? How many fossils do you want which show that the teeth changed slightly? We have plenty of transitional fossils.

? Alan H. Linton
You think quoting a bacteriologist is evidence? By that logic, here's a list of scientists that support evolution, half of which are biologists. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Steve] Oh, and by the way, it's just the ones named Steve. They still have more than the creationists. In just Steves.

There are also many logical reasons why God exists though I am not expert in that area if thats your cup of tea well. . . Read some C. S. Lewis, he set out as an Atheist to disprove God through logic, why don't you go read what he found? (And remember my disclaimer!)
Been there, done that. Apply your own reasoning to yourself, and honestly tackle atheistic arguments head on. C. S. Lewis was a fine author, but a second-rate philosopher.

?If the solar system was brought about by an accidental collision, then the appearance of organic life on this planet was also an accident, and the whole evolution of Man was an accident too. If so, then all our present thoughts are mere accidents?the accidental by-product of the movement of atoms. And this holds for the thoughts of the materialists and astronomers as well as for anyone else?s. But if their thoughts?i.e. of materialism and astronomy?are merely accidental by-products, why should we believe them to be true? I see no reason for believing that one accident should be able to give me a correct account of all the other accidents. It?s like expecting that the accidental shape taken by the splash when you upset a milkjug should give you a correct account of how the jug was made and why it was upset.?
C.S. Lewis (1898?1963), The Business of Heaven
Then why should you believe your thoughts of God, either, if it was a mere accident? Surely they are no less accidental? Either you accept we can have a chance of understanding the universe, in which case you better come up with a good reason why God exists, or you give up and become an extreme skeptic, which precludes knowledge of God as well.

Only 19 percent of the general public believes that life developed without any assistance or direction from a Creator.
First of all, that's not accurate. Second, all this would show is that 81% of people are wrong. The nice thing about the truth is that it's still true, no matter how many people can't see it.

spacecowboy86

Jan 7, 2010
Jon Quixote said:
spacecowboy86 said:
Dann661 said:
I am a Catholic, but I still know that evolution exists, and I agree that it is appalling that most people don't don't know about it. However, I do not think everyone should be forced to believe in evolution, if people don't want to, why make them? Intelligent design is still a possible theory, as is the theory of evolution, I think God guided evolution but, I'm not going to go around and try and make people teach this in schools everywhere.
yes, this exactly. The reason I believe in this is because I find it to be a ridiculous theory that a fish was randomly born with nubs and the ability to breath air, and it was somehow able to use that to survive better.
Boy, you really don't understand evolution, do you? Seriously.

If there was a #2 misconception regarding evolution, it might be the notion that it can somehow be "guided." But it can't. That's the whole point: evolution by natural selection *means* that it just happens naturally, no intervention (divine or otherwise) required, as a necessary and logical consequence of the way the world is. Darwin's theory can best be expressed by a kind of syllogism:

(A) Within the same species, there is (genetic) variation. (By the way, it's not really important to understanding natural selection, but the amount of variation isn't fixed. New variation comes from new, random mutations arising in the DNA, most of which have no effect, and some of which can be either good or bad for the organism, depending on its environment.)

(B) In nature, there is competition for limited resources: space, food, mates, whatever. There are always more organisms born than could ever survive and reproduce.

(C) Given enough time, ANY edge, however slight, is meaningful. If that edge is hereditary -- that is, it comes from the organism's genes and gets passed onto its offspring -- that particular trait will spread through a population down through the successive generations.

(D) This "genetic change over time", with beneficial traits naturally selected for by differential survival and reproduction (which is a blind, mindless, directionless sorting algorithm -- not "random chance" by any means, but neither is it a guiding, intelligent force of any kind), is evolution.

(E) The cumulative result of lots of evolution over a long time is speciation. When a population of organisms is divided into more than one population for whatever reason (such as, for example, an isolating geographic barrier), gene flow between the two groups ceases, leaving them free to evolve in different directions, via (random) genetic drift and (non-random) natural selection.

In other words, *if* there is competition in nature, *if* there is variation within species, and *if* those variations are hereditary (spoiler alert: all three are true), then evolution *must* occur, given sufficient time. The logic is so airtight that empirical evidence is almost unnecessary. (But, of course, said empirical evidence does exist, in spades. Molecular biology and modern genetics being merely the best examples we have to date, which is not to discount the fossil record, comparative anatomy, bio-geography, etc.)

So... where does that leave the idea of "guided" (or theistic) evolution? Well, evolution just happens on its own. The only time that random chance ever inserts itself into the process is when mutations actually arise in the DNA. As I mentioned before, most mutations don't do anything. They might occur in the junk DNA, or they might change a codon to another codon that actually calls for the same amino acid (meaning, no effect on the phenotype). But if you get a point mutation that actually does code for a different amino acid, and therefore builds a different protein (or, say, a chromosome-level mutation where whole stretches of DNA get duplicated or rearranged), well, then something interesting has happened. The mutation will have an effect on the organism then, and whether it's good (and gets passed on) or bad (and doesn't last a generation) just depends. Mutations themselves are the one facet of evolution that really are random... so if you think that God is actually pulling the strings from behind the scenes, this is where He's working His Divine Mojo.

In other words, to believe in guided evolution, you have to believe that every time DNA gets copied wrong (whether it will result in a good mutation or a bad one, or have no effect at all), it's not just a natural occurrence and a chemical fluke of the way DNA replicates; it's a miracle caused by some supernatural force extrinsic to the universe, or the dictum of providential Fate. At which point, of course, you might as well also posit that nothing in nature is really random, and every time you roll a die or pick a card, invisible angels and demons are the ones controlling the outcome. Which is patently absurd.

Simply put, there's no gap for God in evolution... *unless* you believe that God has foreordained the motion of every particle and the outcome of every event in the history of the universe. (Which would also mean that free will can't exist, so good luck convincing even a theist that this is, in fact, really true.)

==========

And that's #2. If evolution has a #1 misconception, it's the positively asinine idea expressed by the quoted poster above that a fish could suddenly grow nubs and lungs. There's nothing "sudden" about evolution! Evolution doesn't happen in jumps! This can't be repeated enough:

THERE HAS NEVER BEEN, IN THE HISTORY OF LIFE, AN ORGANISM THAT DID NOT BELONG TO THE SAME SPECIES AS ITS IMMEDIATE PARENT(S) AND OFFSPRING. An unbroken chain of parent-and-child relationships connects EVERY life-form currently alive on Earth (us included) to the first prokaryote.

More importantly, evolution does not happen to individual organisms. MUTATIONS happen to individual organisms. If those mutations produce beneficial traits, the traits spread through the population. That's evolution. Evolution, therefore, happens to POPULATIONS OF ORGANISMS -- and it doesn't really make sense to think of evolution happening on a smaller scale than that of the population.

This, of course, is precisely what makes evolution so controversial in the ultra-religious USA. Liberal, mainstream Christian denominations and the Roman Catholic Church like to paper over the rather obvious fact: geneticists know that the hominid population that gave rise to modern Homo sapiens can never have been smaller than, say, ten thousand individuals. We never had a pair of "original parents": it's outright impossible for that to ever have been the case. Adam and Eve are mythical characters who cannot possibly have ever existed. That being the case... Original Sin can't be taken literally. There were never a "first man" and "first woman" to sin for the whole human race. This, of course, makes the doctrine of salvation equally nonsensical. (This is, of course, setting aside the whole morally repugnant notion that mankind could be held accountable for one man's sin and then subsequently redeemed via another's sacrifice. Here I'm just talking about whether it really happened.)

Since there can't have been an Adam and Eve to have sinned, there is no literal need whatsoever for a Christ to do any redeeming. "Original sin" is, at best, a metaphor for humanity's general tendency towards douchebaggery. This makes "salvation" (again, at best), metaphorical as well. If you need your metaphors to cope with the world and be a good person... that's fine, I'm certainly in no position to judge. But for me, given the fact that these things can't possibly be literally true (which we know for a fact, thanks to our understanding of evolution), I'd rather just dispense with the religious gobbledygook and be done with it.
You greatly misunderstand me sir. The "nub-fish" story was a vastly simplified example for the benefit of some individuals, but if you truly want to debate with me, I'll humor you.

I understand evolution does not occur instantly, my point was, and perhaps you can clear this up for me, that I can't concieve how an aquatic species could possibly be born with amphibious traits that would better help it survive to reproduce but still allow it to scientifically be classified as a fish. It's not going to suddenly become an amphibian, so why would such traits be useful to it in an aquatic habitiat? why wouldn't such traits remain, as you say, junk? and if that's the case I don't see why any organisms at all would need to develop terrestrial traits if all the other organisms that are thier food are also aquatic. and also, when does the species officially cease to be aquatic and become classifed as amphibian.

also, who are you to say every event in the universe is guided by an inconcievable force? science is already discovering countless forces in the universe that were invisible to us just decades ago. but we know not EVERYTHING in the galaxy can be even be predicted by us because of something called the "Uncertainty principle"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncertainty_principle which means that not everything is predictable, even if it is influenced, so we are never "destined" to do something.

also, when you get the chance, read up on the double-slit experiment and schrodingers cat. they both demonstrate a property of quantum physics that nothing in the universe happens until it is seen by a conscious observer, meaning that these genetic mutations are every possible mutation imaginable until the species starts using the genes to develop, then one is, in your opinion "randomly selected", in my opinion chosen as the one that it needs either to further it's own race, or if god wills it, make a tasty snack for another, better organism.

also, if you plan to complain to me "what are these invisible forces you speak of? huh? huh? can't tell me that can you?" dark energy and dark matter just to name two off the top of my head.

spacecowboy86

Jan 7, 2010
Olrod said:
spacecowboy86 said:
Dann661 said:
I am a Catholic, but I still know that evolution exists, and I agree that it is appalling that most people don't don't know about it. However, I do not think everyone should be forced to believe in evolution, if people don't want to, why make them? Intelligent design is still a possible theory, as is the theory of evolution, I think God guided evolution but, I'm not going to go around and try and make people teach this in schools everywhere.
yes, this exactly. The reason I believe in this is because I find it to be a ridiculous theory that a fish was randomly born with nubs and the ability to breath air, and it was somehow able to use that to survive better.
That's like saying "I don't think people should be forced to believe in the theory of gravity if they don't want to."
should they? you'll probably think I'm even more of an idiot now then you already did, but don't most atheist complain about christian forcing their beliefs upon the populace when they do stuff like complain about gay marriage rights? and now atheists are trying to say that everyone MUST believe in every single scientific theory that is ever developed? granted gravity is a very strong theory that at this point is pretty much impossible to disprove, but if someone wants to believe that we're all held to the earth by magnets in our shoes, who are we to force them to believe otherwise, especially if they are having a happier life because of it?

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
spacecowboy86 said:
I understand evolution does not occur instantly, my point was, and perhaps you can clear this up for me, that I can't concieve how an aquatic species could possibly be born with amphibious traits that would better help it survive to reproduce but still allow it to scientifically be classified as a fish. It's not going to suddenly become an amphibian, so why would such traits be useful to it in an aquatic habitiat? why wouldn't such traits remain, as you say, junk? and if that's the case I don't see why any organisms at all would need to develop terrestrial traits if all the other organisms that are thier food are also aquatic. and also, when does the species officially cease to be aquatic and become classifed as amphibian.
Environmental factors and selection pressure, mainly. Much the same way whales' distant ancestors went back to the sea.

Personally what I find most difficult to comprehend as an evolved process is the myriad of processes necessary for cellular respiration (IMO, all examples pointed to by Creationists as "irreducibly complex" are far far easier to explain and understand than this, especially their second favorite: the eye), but I don't doubt the theory of evolution simply because my understanding of how a few things came about is poor.

Sterling|D-Reaver

Jun 14, 2010
evilneko said:
snip

Sterling|D-Reaver said:
-insert Creationist Crap here-
Wow. Everything in that post is...an already-debunked creationist argument, indicative of someone who has only bothered to look at that which supports his world view. You even use Creationist websites as sources, and finish off with an assertion by popularity.

Normally I'd suggest you go browse talkorigins.org or potholer54's channel, but you've swallowed the crap hook line and sinker and are not likely to budge. I won't waste my time and energy on you.
First I believe I said "If you disagree with me you'd better have evidence to back you up. Also do some research and read something that doesn't obviously support your viewpoint, if your secure in your beliefs and are intelligent enough to refute an argument why won't you read what your 'opposition' give as evidence?"
You failed to give evidence that anything I wrote is 'an already-debunked creationist argument. . .'
The 'assertion by popularity' was correcting the OP's comment that only 50% of people don't believe in evolution.

You provided none except for a link to (if I may use your own standards) websites that are obviously evolutionist, so I ask, why are you responding with what are the equivalent of my own sources, which I do acknowledge to be biased. However I didn't want to spend more time looking for different sources, perhaps I'll do that.
Despite what you said and the frankly immature way you said it, I do plan on browsing talkorigins.org and maybe I'll check out potholer54's channel as well.

DRIIV said:
1.) Energy was there.

2.) Isn't the second law of thermodynamics about a closed system? The Earth is not a closed system.

3.)http://www.theistic-evolution.com/transitional.html

4.) 150 years might not be long enough.

I do not know much about all of this, but this is some of what I could find.
Thanks for the reply! It looks like you actually read my post.

I really am not any kind of authority on the scientific side of life so I'm not really sure about 1 and 2, however I hope someone will link to something that might clarify it. Just because it has been used as evidence doesn't mean it should be evidence.

Thanks for the link too, its an interesting read, I plan to read it more carefully soon.

I agree 150 might be to fast, however I still think it is legitimate to point out that bacteria is an extremely simple life form and they are, if I'm not mistaken, trying to speed the process up so shouldn't there be some evidence of change?

Falconsgyre

May 4, 2011
spacecowboy86 said:
You greatly misunderstand me sir. The "nub-fish" story was a vastly simplified example for the benefit of some individuals, but if you truly want to debate with me, I'll humor you.

This is actually quite a reasonable objection, and requires more background to explain. Your first objection, about it being "classified" as a fish is mistaken. When trying to understand evolution, forget about species and classification. Species are always in flux, always changing, and it's better to view them as populations of individuals. Richard Dawkins explains these concepts very, very well, so I'd recommend reading... any book by him except "The God Delusion." Seriously, they're all great. In evolution, the key is that every little step was beneficial at the time. Lungs didn't just pop up all at once. I'm not too clear on how lungs actually evolved, so I'll skip to something I'm more familiar with, which is eyes. A common question is "what use is half an eye?" The answer is that there's a whole lot of use. A single photoreceptor might mean the difference between life and death in some small cases, and that's enough to select for it and spread it throughout the population. More photoreceptors are more effective, so these would be selected for, too. On and on it goes, and millions years later, we have eyes.

In terms of moving to land, I can also say that there was quite a bit of selective pressure for it because everything likes to expand. There was food there (invertebrates got to land first), and no predators. There was also a lot more room to live.

also, when you get the chance, read up on the double-slit experiment and schrodingers cat. they both demonstrate a property of quantum physics that nothing in the universe happens until it is seen by a conscious observer, meaning that these genetic mutations are every possible mutation imaginable until the species starts using the genes to develop, then one is, in your opinion "randomly selected", in my opinion chosen as the one that it needs either to further it's own race, or if god wills it, make a tasty snack for another, better organism.
That's a complete misconception. One possible interpretation of observation is simply "interaction with other particles," which doesn't require consciousness.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
spacecowboy86 said:
also, who are you to say every event in the universe is guided by an inconcievable force? science is already discovering countless forces in the universe that were invisible to us just decades ago. but we know not EVERYTHING in the galaxy can be even be predicted by us because of something called the "Uncertainty principle"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncertainty_principle which means that not everything is predictable, even if it is influenced, so we are never "destined" to do something.

also, if you plan to complain to me "what are these invisible forces you speak of? huh? huh? can't tell me that can you?" dark energy and dark matter just to name two off the top of my head.
Ah yes, quantum physics and dark energy. The last refuge of evolution-deniers? Probably not. But still kind of funny.

I sometimes envision a sort of 'Creationist Summit', in which the most vocal evolution-deniers gather to discuss the latest plan to launch an attack at evolution. ID was quite succesful in its inception, mainly because in stead of attacking science up front, it tried to worm its way into science like a theoretical horse of Troy. But it got defeated in the end by being overambitious, trying to get it to be taught in science classes at school.

Now they've noticed how relatively new the field of quantum physics is. And how it is even more incomprehensible to the common man and even to a lot of scientists than regular science. It provides a few nice little niches of strangeness to put in a god. Or in other cases, 'proof' for paranormal phenomena (the near-death-experience movement is quite keen on that).

Personally I can't wait to see what comes out of quantum physics in say, 20 years. And trust me, it won't be god.

conflictofinterests

Apr 6, 2010
spacecowboy86 said:
*steps in for a moment to provide this link*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lungfish

EDIT: Basically, if we're dealing solely with the process of going from fish to amphibian, we've already seen the adaptation of insects to terrestrial life. Fish that were better able to catch airborne or terrestrial insects had tapped into a vast, and untouched food resource, so if they could jump out of the water, that was super advantageous. This food resource was most plentiful in areas closest to land, sometimes in freshwater areas, so fish would move to those places. Trouble with those places is they could be tidal or they could suffer drought, especially with more inland areas. Fish that couldn't survive being out of water for short (or long) periods of time fared much worse than those that could, and one of the methods that allowed for fish to survive out of water was the development of gas exchange features in their gas bladders. Some fish developed ways of throwing themselves onto land and wriggling back into water in order to get at their food, behavior seen in shark and whale species today. Some fish were better adapted to moving around on land like that than others, and fared better. As lungs and limbs developed, so did amphibians (along with a myriad other more subtle traits)