The misinterpretation of evolution

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Vindictus said:
"IF EVOLUTION IS REAL, THEN WHY ARE THERE STILL MONKEYS?

CHECKMATE, DARWIN"
Counterpoint: "If your cousins grandparents are your grandparents, then why aren't they your siblings instead of your cousins?"
Alternate Counterpoint: "If Americans came from Europeans then why are there still Europeans?"

There are two main flaws with the 'why are still monkeys' argument, the first being the assumption that evolution is a linear trend. It is not, it's divergent. Honestly, it's a bit surprising that people can even make this mistake considering that even the very concept of the tree of life shows species branching off from a common source rather than being a singular road. Separate a population into different environments, they evolve along different lines based on the pressures of those environments and the mutations that occur in each isolated population. The end result is that where there was one species there now are two (or more). This ties into the other major flaw in the objection, namely the assumption that we're descended from modern apes. Evolution does not claim this, but posits that modern apes and humans share a common ancestor (hence the cousin analogy above).

Now amusingly, the old "why are there still monkeys" bit is so worn out and so well known as being based on false premises that even groups like Answers in Genesis recognize its failings and list it among the arguments they beg other creationists not to use.

Checkmate? You haven't even set up the chessboard yet.

BrassButtons

Nov 17, 2009
Tin Man said:
I agree completely.

To attempt to answer a point of yours though(the one about why people feel like they have a right to talk about certain sciences, when they really know jack shit about it), I would argue the reason why it gets people riled up is that it's science talking about them.

A lot of people have this immature notion that NOT being divinely supreme in the universe is somehow a negative on humanity and renders all human endeavour ultimately pointless, and when people show up using scary words and challenging them with even scarier ideas, well, people just shell up and in some cases turn violent.
I hadn't really looked at it that way, but you're probably correct. I'm sure it's not the whole explanation, but it's probably a big part of it.

Honestly, I've given this some thought in the past, and it's my absolute favourite irony that when the religious/scientifically lay argue against evolution and for God, never is our past as violent and easily terrorfied apes more apparent.
Yeah, you gotta love that :D

Also, I think your misspelling of 'terrified' as 'terrorfied' is awesome and should be given it's own definition, because that is just a fun-looking word :D

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
I wonder if they teach alternatives to germ theory in schools where they teach alternatives to Evolution? Or alternatives to gravity?

I believe that all falling is caused by an intelligent agency, and we can't cure aids because the scientific community refuses to allow us to research the Demon Possession Theory of disease. AIDs is obviously caused by demons.

marfin_

Mar 14, 2011
sergnb said:
We are talking about millions of years here. Millions-of-years. Do you seriously believe that in that time, some drastical change is impossible to have happened?
If it is "impossible" for change to happen over the course of millions of years, the why has the fish Coelacanth been living with very little change since it's fossil ancestors during te Paleozoic Era, which btw was about 350 million years ago?

st0pnsw0p

Nov 23, 2009
I'm just gonna leave this link here.
http://www.cracked.com/article_19213_7-animals-that-are-evolving-right-before-our-eyes.html

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
marfin_ said:
sergnb said:
We are talking about millions of years here. Millions-of-years. Do you seriously believe that in that time, some drastical change is impossible to have happened?
If it is "impossible" for change to happen over the course of millions of years, the why has the fish Coelacanth been living with very little change since it's fossil ancestors during te Paleozoic Era, which btw was about 350 million years ago?
I'm sorry marfin, what's your point here? Did you leave a word out or something? "If it's impossible for change to happen over millions of years then why has this fish been the same for so long?" Is that what you intended to say? Because that's what your post says. Did you mean to ask why it hasn't changed? Please clarify.

Asita

Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
marfin_ said:
sergnb said:
You do realize that Coelacanth is an Order on the classification system, right? (In order of increasing similarity the classification system for organisms goes Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species). It's called a living fossil because the entire order was thought to have been extinct 80 million years ago. It's worth noting however that specific species of Coelacanth discovered alive (Latimeria menadoensis) does not have a known fossil record, so it's not accurate to say it's 'unchanged'.

Additionally, it's worth noting that there's nothing in evolution that requires a descendent to be significantly different than its ancestors. While it is very often the case that the descendent is noticeably different, as shown by the fossil record as a whole, a static environment can mean that a well-adapted population may show relatively little change over time as there's little pressure favoring new traits.

darkstarangel

Jun 27, 2008
Because yours is the most reasonable response ill reply to yours.

Basically all are observed with limitations to 5 & 8. Species vary as dominant & recessive genes are shuffled about during the generations. A simple punnet square demonstrates this perfectly. However, the assumption that mutations create new complex traits (not including the traits forming out of degeration)& change families & rather than just species.

The reason I call evolution superficial is that its based on external traits, especially from fossils despite their obscure details. This is fair enough to base a hypothesis from but when more evidence is revealled to conflict with the theory the theory must adapt or die. Sadly the hubris of many wont accept that we cant truly know & instead promote their theories as a fact & ommit details in the evidence that conflict with the theory. Abiogenesis is one of the oldest examples of these.

Personally Im a Creationist out of convenience & this is plausible since you cant truly prove anything from the past. Its out of the evidence that I use to reveal flaws to the theory of evolution, which evolutionists themselves should be screening for. This is how science perfects itself, through self critisicm.

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
darkstarangel said:
Personally Im a Creationist out of convenience
You mis-spelled "ignorance".

darkstarangel said:
Its out of the evidence that I use to reveal flaws to the theory of evolution, which evolutionists themselves should be screening for. This is how science perfects itself, through self critisicm.
Also, you need to quote this evidence. Please. If you have ANY evidence that *disproves* evolution, Science REALLY REALLY wants to know it, you'll be famous and win a Nobel prize!

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
darkstarangel said:

Basically all are observed with limitations to 5 & 8. Species vary as dominant & recessive genes are shuffled about during the generations. A simple punnet square demonstrates this perfectly. However, the assumption that mutations create new complex traits (not including the traits forming out of degeration)& change families & rather than just species.

The reason I call evolution superficial is that its based on external traits, especially from fossils despite their obscure details. This is fair enough to base a hypothesis from but when more evidence is revealled to conflict with the theory the theory must adapt or die. Sadly the hubris of many wont accept that we cant truly know & instead promote their theories as a fact & ommit details in the evidence that conflict with the theory. Abiogenesis is one of the oldest examples of these.

Personally Im a Creationist out of convenience & this is plausible since you cant truly prove anything from the past. Its out of the evidence that I use to reveal flaws to the theory of evolution, which evolutionists themselves should be screening for. This is how science perfects itself, through self critisicm.
Ah, you did return.

Despite my response I actually did go looking for science literature on the evolution of glycolysis. I didn't spend too terribly much time on it though as a) I didn't really believe you'd accept anything I came up with anyway and b) unfortunately most of the papers I came across were not available in full-text for free.

Also I had this niggling doubt that even though I'm interested in it, I'm far from a biology major and scientific papers on the process might be too technical for me.

So let me just leave you a couple of free ones I did manage to find. Admittedly I've not had time to actually read the entire things. Given the tone of your second post I doubt you will bother, honestly. I'll eventually get around to it though.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1016/0307-4412(93)90018-U/abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16756667

darkstarangel

Jun 27, 2008
The trouble is would you understand it? I mentioned abiogenesis & you skimmed straight past it to ask for evidence disproving evolution. Your first impression wasnt exactly a bright one.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
darkstarangel said:
Sorry evilneko that last response from me was for olrod not you. I appreciate your persistance.
I actually thought it was kinda funny when you mentioned glycolysis in your earlier post since I had mentioned earlier that was one of the things I myself had trouble comprehending as an evolved process.

The difference between someone like me and a creationist though is I'm going to investigate and try to understand instead of throwing my hands up and saying "GODDUNNIT." That's what really gets my goat about creationism: it's just plain giving up. Actually, it's not just giving up, it's giving up and claiming the only answer is magic. I'm sure glad there are people who don't do that. We'd still be living in mud huts otherwise.

darkstarangel

Jun 27, 2008
Good work on your search. You may not be a bio major but an interest is all it takes for you to learn more. I started out with a mere interest in general biology & now im studying a bachelor in biomolecular science.

Also sorry about the tone of my last post, I knew id come across sarcastic jackasses so I was prepared for it.
The two articles you found basically compare the glycolytic pathways of related phyla on the phylogenetic tree. The scope was to add confirmation to evolutionary relationships but the point im always puting across is that this can also be interpreted in otherways also since glucose is a major source of energy for neally all organisms on earth, so naturally their cells need to split sugar into pyruvate. This is the precursor for the krebs cycle which produces the energy for us to live. Its also the reason why we breath oxygen & & exhale CO2.

What these articles havent put across is how organisms survived without it before it evolved or how it could have evolved. Its an irreducibly complex system where if components are removed the end result doesnt happen. Our bodies are composed of thousands of such components.

All I can do is encourage you to learn as much as you can its mind blowing stuff.

darkstarangel

Jun 27, 2008
LOL thats my issue too & yes, there are a lot of overzealous douchebags out there on all fields. Im happy to accept that 'God dunnit' but I wanna know how he done it. But its happening on the other spectrum too with 'Evolution dunnit'. Dont tell me it evolved tell me how it evolved. I got sick of people telling me that mobile phones can ignite petrol at service stations so I used the formula for deriving wavelength energy & the flashpoint of octane to prove it as just an urban myth.

BTW sorry I still havent figured out how to quote yet. Forum posters must be getting a bit confused by now.

Asita

Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
darkstarangel said:

Well thanks for saying I'm reasonable, but I have to ask...what limitations to 5 & 8? In order to support this notion you really would have to actually cite a mechanism that would prevent change over time. Additionally, 'family change' is not a part of evolutionary theory, nor does it suggest family change. That is the old misrepresentation 'why doesn't a dog give birth to a cat' (though to your credit, you seem to be looking at this on a larger scale than parent-child transitions), which itself is simply a more [deliberately] absurd version of the old 'why are there still apes' argument, relying on the notion of evolution espousing a cross-over model rather than a divergent one.

And as for new complex traits: I'd point you to the formation of cecal valves in Podarcis sicula that were absent in their ancestral strain, E.Coli populations in Richard Lenski's long-term E.Coli experiment developing the ability to process citrate (which is an incredible innovation considering that the inability to process citrate is a detail used to identify E.Coli in the first place, and the famous 'nylon-eating bacteria'.

darkstarangel said:
The reason I call evolution superficial is that its based on external traits, especially from fossils despite their obscure details.
...Did you just forget about everything we've learned from DNA sequencing (and Genetics in general), ERVs, observed speciation, and the observed effects of attempted hybridization of various species, many of which are compatible enough to produce offspring but not enough for that offspring to be fertile? To say nothing of the fact that every single line of inquiry all points to the same conclusion?

darkstarangel said:
This is fair enough to base a hypothesis from but when more evidence is revealled to conflict with the theory the theory must adapt or die.
If you have such evidence, please provide it. Do remember, however, that a lack of data does not equate to contrary evidence.

darkstarangel said:
Sadly the hubris of many wont accept that we cant truly know & instead promote their theories as a fact & ommit details in the evidence that conflict with the theory. Abiogenesis is one of the oldest examples of these.
I'm afraid I must question how much you actually know about abiogenesis, as A) there is no single model for abiogenesis at present, and B) the details of those models are changing as new info is gathered and old experiments are being revisited to test them under the new proposed circumstances of ancient earth.

darkstarangel said:
Personally Im a Creationist out of convenience & this is plausible since you cant truly prove anything from the past.
Er, no. If your rationale is that you're accepting it 'for convenience' rather than actual agreement then the intellectually honest thing is to reject that explanation as well. "I don't know" is a perfectly valid response, and far more honest than choosing an explanation you don't agree with.

darkstarangel said:
Its out of the evidence that I use to reveal flaws to the theory of evolution, which evolutionists themselves should be screening for. This is how science perfects itself, through self critisicm.
Eh, you have yet to actually present any evidence. The closest you got was suggesting that we didn't have an explanation for a given trait, which isn't an argument against the topic. A lack of knowledge of a given trait is simply that: a lack of knowledge about that trait. A flaw would have to produce solid data which contradicts the predictions of the theory. For instance, we didn't change the atomic model from Thompson's 'Plum Pudding Model' to Rutherford's 'Planetary Model' because Thompson couldn't prove where the electrons were. We switched to the Planetary Model because the data (namely that an atom's mass and positive charge made up a small portion of its volume) went against the predictions of the Pudding Model (which called for roughly equal distribution of both) and lined up with the Planetary Model (Small dense positively charged center with electrons orbiting). Any evidence against evolution would have to rely on similar data that contradicts the model.

darkstarangel said:
Sorry evilneko that last response from me was for olrod not you. I appreciate your persistance.
Word of friendly advice: Use the quote button at the bottom right of a given post. It makes it clear who you're talking to and has the added benefit of notifying the person you're responding to via their inbox.

Vindictus

Apr 3, 2010
Asita said:
Vindictus said:
"IF EVOLUTION IS REAL, THEN WHY ARE THERE STILL MONKEYS?

CHECKMATE, DARWIN"
Counterpoint: "If your cousins grandparents are your grandparents, then why aren't they your siblings instead of your cousins?"
Alternate Counterpoint: "If Americans came from Europeans then why are there still Europeans?"

There are two main flaws with the 'why are still monkeys' argument, the first being the assumption that evolution is a linear trend. It is not, it's divergent. Honestly, it's a bit surprising that people can even make this mistake considering that even the very concept of the tree of life shows species branching off from a common source rather than being a singular road. Separate a population into different environments, they evolve along different lines based on the pressures of those environments and the mutations that occur in each isolated population. The end result is that where there was one species there now are two (or more). This ties into the other major flaw in the objection, namely the assumption that we're descended from modern apes. Evolution does not claim this, but posits that modern apes and humans share a common ancestor (hence the cousin analogy above).

Now amusingly, the old "why are there still monkeys" bit is so worn out and so well known as being based on false premises that even groups like Answers in Genesis recognize its failings and list it among the arguments they beg other creationists not to use.

Checkmate? You haven't even set up the chessboard yet.
I guess an obvious troll isn't as obvious as I'd thought :s

I was jesting in regards to the previous post, which mentioned those people who make these silly "BUF IF EVOLUTION IS REAL.. THEN WHY CAN'T ROCKS SPEAK" claims.